Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can someone give me a tldr summary of what happened to the Bethesda Forums?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I recently decided to have a look to see how the Bethesda Forums were going, and I was surprised to see it shut down.

I haven't been there since about 2011/12, but it was a big forum with some dedicated posters and I was shocked it wasn't still operating.

Were there any dramas that happened? Were the regulars still there or where they driven away by the nu-Bethesda fans?

Pound Meat

Prophet
This thread triggered a latent memory of stardestroyer.net, which I haven't visited since 2012. Still there and gayer than ever.

soulburner

Cipher
Forums are dying. People moved to Facebook groups, discord and other shit that is impossible to search through. Things like the forum we are currently on are now a rarity.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never went to that forum, but it makes me sad seeing any forum die. The biggest one that died for me is still the IMDb forums. I watch great movies and want to talk about them, but I can't anymore as that was my go to. That fucking overly modded Reddit is no substitute either, and the layout is like a fucking train wreck.

Fargus

Arcane
Don't remember exactly what happened but back in the days i used to visit bethesda forums a lot for modding discussions, mostly Morrowind's. Then they deleted all the old threads, changed layout etc. There was 0 activity after that because nobody wanted to come back. I didn't even know they pulled the plug completely last year only learned about it now lol.

Lhynn

Arcane
Official forums are a nightmare for any PR department, simple as. Its not so bad when your games are good, but when they arent and people start speaking up... well, you really dont want that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Never went to that forum, but it makes me sad seeing any forum die. The biggest one that died for me is still the IMDb forums. I watch great movies and want to talk about them, but I can't anymore as that was my go to. That fucking overly modded Reddit is no substitute either, and the layout is like a fucking train wreck.
Yes, MovieChat did the world an enormous service by preserving IMDB's forums as of a certain date not too long before IMDB shut them down entirely, but that site hasn't been able to obtain the critical mass of posters needed to generate a substantial amount of new content, certainly nothing like the rate at which IMDB was capable of. Moreover, by the time IMDB shut down its forums, it had already been arbitrarily pruning old threads for years, with no discernible pattern to its decisions to remove threads of a certain age from a particular movie's forum, and all of that content is lost permanently (e.g. two classic threads on the interpretation of events in Rashomon).

Dhaze

Cipher
(e.g. two classic threads on the interpretation of events in Rashomon)

I remember reading those—or at least I suppose we're talking about the same.

In a similar vein, there once was a fantastic thread about Ame Agaru, a movie based on Kurosawa's last script and directed by his assistant, Takashi Koizumi. There, a person who had worked on set had shared lots of great details about the filming of that movie, and as they were not unfamiliar with Kurosawa himself, some insight into his approach to directing. Then one day the thread was just gone; one of a myriad deleted by IMDB for... reasons, I guess.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I recently decided to have a look to see how the Bethesda Forums were going, and I was surprised to see it shut down.

I haven't been there since about 2011/12, but it was a big forum with some dedicated posters and I was shocked it wasn't still operating.

Were there any dramas that happened? Were the regulars still there or where they driven away by the nu-Bethesda fans?

"We are not allowed to talk about that".

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Official forums are a nightmare for any PR department, simple as. Its not so bad when your games are good, but when they arent and people start speaking up... well, you really dont want that.

Yeah, I used to feel for the "community representatives" in some of those old forums for shit games. It can't be a pleasant or easy job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom