Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can someone give me a tldr summary of what happened to the Bethesda Forums?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Same reason why Bioware deleted BSN. Because the community (at the time) was too based and the devs are all pussies.

Yeah. I miss the old nwn.bioware boards too. I think I have the whole forum backed up somewhere though.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Forums are dying. People moved to Facebook groups, discord and other shit that is impossible to search through. Things like the forum we are currently on are now a rarity.
What do you guys think about Discord? I find it very hard to navigate. I play a mobile game and the guild I'm in requires Discord. I can't find anything and it makes me feel old and dumb. And am I crazy or did Discord used to be used for voice communication in MMORPGs? I also have to join some groups in Reddit and Facebook for shilling purposes. I'm not big on communicating online in any form, but Reddit and Facebook seem a big step backwards from forums like this.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Weren't there long time mods there like Rogu
I'm still pissed off at that Spanish faggot for temp banning me back in 2007

What a sad indicidual he was. Spending his time working free for a corporation, and his job being to close threads that has gone to 15 pages or so.
Uh, we have crispy here moderating for free for at least one decade or so. Are you suggesting that Crispy is a.... sad individual?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
At least Crispy is also a poster, and I'm sure his job is more varied than just doing what a script could have done.

Hagashager

Educated
Literally the reason I made an account here.

I was on the old BGSF back in 2007, when Oblivion V. Morrowind threads were getting banned, General Discussion still had balls, Gstaff and Rohugh weren't quite the shitheads they'd become and Summer still had her illusion of being a kindly gramma.

Bethesda shut down the old BGSF in 2017 and migrated it to a new Bethesda.Net site which I never bothered to sign up for.

Instead I was invited to some secret BGSF rival forum established by previously banned members, but by that point the community there was long dead.

Forums like Codex are rare. Everyone's either on Reddit or 4Chan.

Is the Bethesda.net forum still live or did they axe that too?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I don't think forums will die in favor of discord for one simple reason: search. You can't google search a discord server. And discord is more of a chat format. Whatever you write in a forum you know will be there a few years from now. Neither IRC nor chatrooms killed forums.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Every game has steam forums these days anyway as well as reddit, so no wonder many companies do not want to pay for their own.

But both Warhorse and CD Projekt still run their own forums (although they are obviously much less trafficked than reddits).

edit: actually never mind, Warhorse switched their forum to read only and also uses discord and reddit. What a shame. So CD Projekt and Obsidian remain.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I was a dedicated poster there. After the success of Skyrim they ditched their old community and forced Bethesda.net down everyones throat.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I remember when Fallout New Vegas dropped. Fallout 3 fans were salty as fuck as we pointed out to them how FNV was objectively better than F3.

Hagashager

Educated
I was a dedicated poster there. After the success of Skyrim they ditched their old community and forced Bethesda.net down everyones throat.
Yeah, I left around Skyrim. The influx of retards was incredible. I think even the Oblivion fans were put off.
I showed up in 2007 after my friend at the time gave his copy of Morrowind because he was too obsessed with Oblivion. I'd never played a TES game before and all I had was an OG Xbox.

The years between Oblivion and Skyrim were pretty nice, though that may be just nostalgia on my part since I was in HS at that point. It was tight knit and all the mods seemed friendly and paternal. By 2011 though the vineer was gone. Rohugh was a jerk, Gstaff was an even bigger jerk to the point of actually participating in some kind of witch-hunt against users and Summer's "kindly grandma schtick" had melted away. She was clearly lonely, petty and bitter about her age. Then there was Fredo who temp banned me for reasons I straight up don't get. I guess I posted in the wrong thread? I contested and had it lifted by Princess-Stomper.

Skyrim came out right when I was entering college and had less time for video games. Coincidentally that was also when the horde of Skyrim newbies started posting and dropped the quality of the forums by metric tons. I only posted on Community Discussion after that point and even that board was neutered by the admins because screechers kept trolling and posting hate.

By 2017 I had moved well past BGSF and forums in general. Even now the only forum I frequented before Codex was Giantintheplayground every once in a blue moon.

What I refuse to use are places like reddit and 4Chan. Everytime I go on those two sites my intelligence and mental sanity feel physically assaulted.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I just looked at the Discord. Freddo is still a moderator. Hunger Donner (I thought they were a girl) is working for Bethesda apparently. Rohugh retired a few years back.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I had 34000 posts on the original Bethsoft forums; was never a moderator. Matt Grandstaff told me I had enough warnings to be banned three times over... just never enough of them at any one time.

The mods eventually just banned me one day for no legitimate reason at all. When I returned there a few years later (After the update), Matt said that the old warnings didn't count on the new forum, so I made a new account... but the place was boring, and I abandoned it.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Matt_Grandstaff

Matt joined Bethesda Softworks as Community Manager in April 2007. Matt Grandstaff's role at Bethesda included acting as a point of liaison between fans and developers. As part of the marketing department working with Pete Hines, Matt coordinated information for Bethesda's websites, updated the media on new developments, and managed Bethesda's forum as an administrator.

One of Matt's main contributions was the development of the Bethesda Blog, which regularly featured interviews with both developers and fans, as well as updates and news on Bethesda's roster of games. In August 2019, he left Bethesda Softworks for Epic Games.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
H5GnMZv.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The forum https://www.gry-online.pl - a big (at least used to be) forum about games in Poland seems to be working. I was banned over 10 years ago for discussing with a mod... about non forum related stuff. The only time i was banned from anywhere on the Internet ever. I'd say, fuck them. I still resent them, they can go to hell.

Overall, i agree that forums like here or any similar are a better tool for communicating more complex thoughts and having meaningful exchanges of opinions than other means on the net. Storing the past discussions as well. But i think there is a big positive of that situation you all missed! Unpopularity of forums in general filters out good % of morons that would otherwise come to THIS forum! "Always look on the bright side of life...".
I'm serious. Mostly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom