Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can someone summarize to me the appeal of JRPGs?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
didn't we already went through this? just hold designated button and text will be skipped.
You have to tell me which JRPGs do that because most of the 90s classics that were recommended to me didn't have this feature yet.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Planescape Torment has good writing instead of teenage cringe, and it's presented in instantly-appearing paragraphs rather than torturously being typed out sentence by sentence.
It makes quite the difference.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Not on a replay when you already know which options lead to quests and which are just flavor, which was your entire point.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Not on a replay when you already know which options lead to quests and which are just flavor, which was your entire point.
so you need to actually stop in every dialogue and pick correct options instead of just holding ctrl, which was my entire point, yes.
even if you play it for 1000th time and know exact correct options for every single talk in the game you will still need to pick them manually. every. single. fucking. time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah you actually have to engage with the dialogs because they're part of GAMEPLAY and not just non-interactive cutscenes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
sorry, but i prefer to engage only in good bits of gameplay. so ctrl is better than 1,2,6,3,5,1,1,5.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Summary: Trannies, pedos, isekai fantasies, furries. It is magical, fabulous, foreign and you'll love it or
IMG_2488_4KZsK67WFvPc2viaNrFLem.jpeg

IMG_2486.gif

IMG_2527.gif

Hell Swarm

Learned
The appeal used to be their scale and story. Sacrificing gameplay in exchange for length and depth. These days they're just games for losers to waste 100 hours on that barely function any different to any other game but the colours are brighter and autists can read the expressions easier. It's why people are answering the way they are, too autistic to know any better.

Koschey

Arcane
Yeah, because short skippable FMVs that appear maybe five times in the entire game are comparable to having an in-engine cutscene every hour, that usually can't be skipped and lasts longer than half a minute.

Fallout 1 all cutscenes, 8 minutes:

And ALL of them can be skipped!

Meanwhile JRPGs, 4 minutes just for some retarded childish bullshit:

You'd never see this in a western RPG because such lengthy cutscene sequences don't exist:
GRRB_F7WgAA-Gmv

And the encounters with NPCs where they basically just dump some info on you and your responses don't matter can't be compared to lengthy cutscenes either, because you can read the dialog at your own pace, and when you replay the game a second time and enter that encounter you can just skip past it by clicking whatever dialog options and get it over with in a few seconds. No such option for lengthy JRPG cutscenes. Even their written dialog takes a LOT longer to skip through due to the way it types out instead of being instantly displayed, and because it always just shows one or two sentences at a time instead of everything the character says at once.
Never said anything about them being comparable, just that it is it factually wrong that most western RPGs don't have cutscenes. I certainly won't defend the idiotic cutscenes of FFX. Yeah, unskippable 30 minute cutscenes suck. But cutscenes taking you out of the game every few minutes is really more of a modern phenomenon and not universal to all JRPGs. I'd imagine a comparison of, dunno, Secret of Mana and Dragon Age Origins would come out pretty differently.
Cool story bro, but you still have to figure out the keywords yourself and any given NPC has more than one keyword he responds to. JRPG NPC interactions consist of clicking on the NPC, who will then say something to you, but you can't ask anything specific back, neither by typing a keyword nor by choosing a dialog option from a list. It's barely interactive.
Choosing options from a list usually ends up with mindlessly exhausting all options anyway, because they're only rarely mutually exclusive. I don't see the big difference in interactivitiy between exhausting all biowarean dialogue options of a single NPC and talking with multiple NPCs in a single location. I'll grant the increased interactivity with keyword systems. On the other hand, with those systems NPCs usually share most generic responses, so instead of multiple different NPCs with different things to tell there's just 20 copys of commoner.npc, who all use the same dialoguefile, which is another kind of mindnumbing. Think Daggerfall.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol, now I'm I'm thinking of a game where we have the worse of the worse dialog options and cutscenes.

Childish

Stupid

Long 30 min+

Can't skip

If you try it restarts

Types slowly

Is very annoyingly voiced/type like a jap VN with chars swapping like a chain smoker going through cigs

Your dialog choices don't matter and you get berated by childish female bitches and bitch bois for you ABC choice (lucky you have a choice but you don't as same result each time)

Oh, and every character has a long music intro and speech when they meet and talk to you.

Every time you accidentally bump into them the intro cutscene plays (avoid talking to the like the plague)

But it is worse, when they see you they move towards you to talk even sprinting (lordy, they be unavoidable)

Did I miss anything like terrible art or should it be weeb or weeb modern agenda so no tits & ass just flat boards and weeby faces & voices.

We need a name for this nightmare.

ind33d

Learned
Assassin's Creed: Shadows shows that game journalists had a strong anti-Japan bias, so JRPGs should be critically reassessed. For all we know, Baten Kaitos was the best game of all time

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HYDLIDE sums it up nicely. How Jim moves and attacks is exactly how you get through busy rush hour Japan. Jim isn't exactly a Japanese name tbh nor is Ann.

Suicidal

Arcane
For me the appeal of JRPGs is that other than the esteemed neanderthal Cleveland Mark Blakemore, JRPG devs are the only ones still making turn based dungeon crawlers.

S.torch

Liturgist
because short skippable FMVs that appear maybe five times in the entire game are comparable to having an in-engine cutscene every hour,
JRPGs didn't have cutscenes how we understand them today i.e. long cinematographic shots. Most of these 'cutscenes' you're talking about are just sprites talking between themselves with an animation here and there. Same can be found in most WRPGs. Really this is some big double-thinking here, judging the same things with different criteria.

Anyway this discussion is pointless because WRPGs and JRPGs USED to be different 20 years ago. Now both mainstream JRPGs and WRPGs are literal movie games with unskippable cutscene fiesta.

Momock

Augur
I've never perceived the WRPG/JRPG division as something relevant. It was computer RPGs and console RPGs. Then computer RPGs became console RPGs too from KOTOR onward.

ind33d

Learned
according to uncle ted, leftists despise the power process. JRPGs are fundamentally about becoming stronger and enacting your will. it is no wonder westoids hate them

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seems like Isekai gets over the top way too fucking fast; sometimes right from the start like they are practically gods or super heroes and everyone else is rubbish (often includes huge harems but many are bitches that stomp on the protag). Be this game, anime, manga, movie; from youtube synopsis of many, they just get ridiculous. Then again, the west has it's share of shitty slop too. I like a very gradual pacing or maybe protag just sucks badly and can barely move on. Most people die or are crippled and any epic-ness comes way late and it isn't all that epic but maybe luck or opportune timing and skill that was fucking earned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom