Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Can the simple & shallow be good? Or Im becoming a popamole old fag?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Silva, Sep 15, 2021.

1. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    Not reading the post, guessing the author doesn't understand the difference between complexity and depth.
    Go play Mars Matrix.

^ Top  
  2. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Drop that old fag popamole shit.

Best keep your love for games away from reputation and pettiness. Older users suck anyway, because they think they know everything (and maybe they should, but none of them manage to comply and instead fall into the easy lie)

Seems to me like you already made up your mind and are now looking for brownie points.

The more I care about games, the less I care for gamers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Oh noes you lost respect from the Nerds!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    The only thing this thread is lacking is some sad violin music in the background.

You can 'zone out and click shit' in almost any hack and slash loot fest. It's practically the genre in a nutshell (unless playing on hardcore).

^ Top  
  5. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    Sure, but the combat in D3 feels quite good once you get into the zone (Abilities on elites leading to slightly unique methods of play and even a lot of the generic enemies themselves can have some fun wrinkles) and D3's loot being geared toward your character class means you're a little more likely to find stuff you can use while clicking, and the free and constant respecs mean you can toy with your build while zoning out and clicking rather than theorycrafting a build beforehand and following it level to level (Or looking it up online and following it). D3's a really smooth experience and barring hardcore you basically can't permanently fuck your character up which means you can stay zoned out at all stages of playing the game. Come to think of it D2's the odd man out in this regard since in D1 you aren't punished too harshly by zoning out either, except for potential stat drains and/or poorly spent stats and even then D1's a bit more forgiving about it than D2.

^ Top  
  6. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Play what you personally enjoy, even if it’s asinine bullshit. Doesn’t matter what old fart Codexers think.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    Into the zone? I thought you wanted to 'zone out'? ;)

Yeah, but only if you wanna take the char to higher difficulties. You can make a train wreck of a character, and still be able to complete normal mode.

^ Top  
  8. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron Sad Loser

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Becoming a popamoler? You always were one lol

• popamole popamole x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    There are many zones, and navigating them takes careful skill! I do tend to want to get to at least middling difficulty though, D1's the only game in the series where I felt satisfied on normal. I assume it's the skill points of D2 and the extreme loot whoring in D3 that make me want to get deeper.

^ Top  
  10. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    I remember being in trance by playing Frozen Bubble continuously for an entire nght.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Viata Arcane

Viata
    So a shitty clone of the superior puzzle bobble:

I used to play this and Puyo Puyo on arcade a lot. I still play both, but now only in emulators. These two and Tetris are my favorite tile-matching games. Can't hate arcade games, you just insert a coin and done, 100% of gameplay. No dumb writer trying to show his shitty skills in video game plots.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    Judging by your examples, it seems to me it's more a matter of distaste or a growing lack of tolerance towards time-sinkers and bloated gameplay than "complexity" (whatever that might be) itself.

^ Top  
  13. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    Elegant design is the best design. The ideal system is one that is easy to learn, but difficult to master, and can provide meaningful engagement for a broad range of skill levels while encouraging learning and growth.

I have never been into it myself, but chess is a perfect example. You can learn the rules in five minutes, but the gameplay is so rich that people spend their whole lives studying it. Few inputs creating millions of outputs.

In contrast you have something like Pillars of Eternity, which is systems layered on systems, none of which ultimately make much difference in the grand scheme of things. It's the exact opposite of what you'd look to as good design.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MasPingon Arcane

MasPingon
    If you considered Skyrim, ToN and P:T(besides skillchecks and story) deep games and now you play Bloodborne, Souls and Hades it is possible your testosteron level grew to a men's level. Nothing to worry about, granted that you are not tranny.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I think the more game systems you have already learnt, the more off putting it is to learn a new one.
    It's not a problem when you are young and nearly everything is new.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.