Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can you use keyboard and mouse for all games? DISCUSS

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I find turning to be a bit wonky in AC games if you use a m+kb rather than the stick.
Why the fuck would you use M+KB if you're not playing a game that requires aiming?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
They are FAR better with a keyboard and mouse, at least the early ones. From III (at least) the controls are pretty much "press space to awesome" but 1 and 2 where you used the hand, foot, head etc control scheme is much more natural on a keyboard.
Does WASD allow for analog movement direction as well as analog aiming direction? Okay then.

Or are you saying you are actually constantly adjusting your POV with mouse free-look to aim at different enemies? Are you insane?

The only reason you'd play AC with M+KB is because it's completely fucking easy. Go play Devil May Cry with M+KB. Try not to cry too much.

buzz

Arcane
I've played to completion all Assassin's Creed games up to Unity with mouse and keyboard and had absolutely no problem. You need to shut yer yapping mouths and go back to sucking console dick, the games are perfectly fine to be played with a mouse and keyboard.

The only time I'm using my controller for PC games is during hotseat co-op, particularly with fighting games. And that's mostly because the keyboard would be too cluttered by two players using it at the same time.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whats the big butthurt about?
Shooting,strategy etc games with mouse and kb and shit that doesn't require precise aiming with the x360 controller.
Gimping yourself by wrestling with uncofortable controls is just stupid.
If I played the first AC with controller, ofcourse I'll pick it for the next game cause it feels more comfortable.

Believe it or not, but x360 controller is one of the best 30 bucks you can spend for your PC.

buzz

Arcane
But you're not gimping yourself with uncomfortable controls, that's the fucking point. I've finished all the games with absolutely no problems.

You need to be a special version of a retard if the controls of an Assassin's Creed game are uncomfortable and troublesome to you.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But you're not gimping yourself with uncomfortable controls, that's the fucking point. I've finished all the games with absolutely no problems.

You need to be a special version of a retard if the controls of an Assassin's Creed game are uncomfortable and troublesome to you.
I'm having trouble understanding this aversion towards controllers when x360 pad has become a standard for pretty much any multiplatform title.

And lel at edgy "hurr durr you must be a retard" comment. My preferences are bestest so everyone else is retarded. :roll:

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
There's no aversion for anything, you're the only one shilling the xbox360 controller in the first place in here.

I was just responding to Mangoose and taxalot's retarded rants about some people playing with keyboard and mouse.

If you like playing games with a controller, that's fine by me. But keyboard and mouse works more than fine for Assassin's Creed. The "standard" is just there in your head so you can justify your stupid purchase.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are probably people out there who swear they can even play shooters competently with a controller. I can play everything with a mouse and keyboard. Way better than I ever could with a controller.

To me, a controller is just a cumbersome input device.
Mouse and keyboard just feel natural.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I did play some. Yeah, a joystick is usually pretty useful for those. But not a gamepad.

(And some space sims are perfectly playable with M&KB)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

That's because a 5 year old can play Assassin's Creed.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Play this with KB+M and get back to me:

(It's called needing to dodge more precisely than 45 degrees aka 8-directional movement)

buzz

Arcane
Are you talking about the big dudes with axes at the end? Because I only see a situation with plenty of free room where he can dodge in whatever fucking direction he wants, with super telegraphed attack patterns and a very fast character. Even the bit at the end with the tight hallways, I don't see where all that "precision" is.

On the other hand, in the beginning of the video, he has trouble going through a door correctly :M

I'm not sure I really get your point anyway. Bad console ports are impossible to play with keyboard and mouse, we know that. Ninja Gaiden wasn't even ported to PC so there's no need to discuss it in the first place. On the other hand, I've managed to play DMC4 only with a keyboard just fine.

Ass Creed games play fine with kb/m. But there's also no actual gain from using kb/m in AC over gamepad, so if you do have a choice between both control devices I'd say you are better off relaxing in a chair with a pad for this series. All this butthurt is pretty funny though so please continue.
I'd also like to support the notion that having a choice of most comfortable control device for any given game is part of what makes PC superior to consoles, way more so than better graphics do, and that people who insist that "tru PC gaymurz" should only use kb/m for everything are just as retarded as those who use gamepad for any game that supports it. And I find it really funny that there are actually people here who find gamepads to be too complicated to learn to use, I've seen people proclaim it on this forum numerous times.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Does WASD allow for analog movement direction as well as analog aiming direction? Okay then.

Analog movement is meaningless when you can actually control the camera. Suddenly 8 directions become infinite. Mind-blowing, I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom