Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Cannot into long games no more

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by oddech_wymarlych_swiatow, Dec 3, 2017.

1. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Emo thread no#482038th

Since 2 years, only long games I've finished were Wiz8 and Drakengard 3 and that was in 2016, this year I couldn't done anything longer. Persona 5, Last Bible, Wiz1/5, Suikoden... all droped pretty early. I had lots of fun with short platform games, arena shooters, fighting games but couldn't into anything that lasts more than few hours... Anything that seems moar time consuming makes me wanna vomit since I cannot focus on them after the whole day in job plus I'm afraid of wasting time on grinding and other forms of filler content. Fuck.

Anyone had similar crysis? Share you story.

• decline x 6
    • Friendly x 5
    • Merry Christmas! x 4
    • Despair x 4
    • Bad Spelling x 3
    • Old x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Either you get old (most likely), got influenced by people who say "better play good short games than long and boring one" or going backlog cleaning rampage?

Or maybe you cannot into games that need time to start up (I mean - start being good). Or you play with mindset to finish them (that way long slogs are removed from your pool)?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Welcome.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    i've been having similar thoughts recently until i sunk into elex for 70 hours and reconsidered

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kutulu Arcane Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Age has probably just allowed you to see all the timewasting BS games try to sell you as entertainment.

I dont pick flowers or rescue teddy bears anymore....

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Is it wrong to have an intention of finish gaem?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There are thousands of short twitch games on the snes, amiga, megadrive, pc98 etc etc etc. Quit playing games which you know are padded the fuck out (rpgs). Don't go full retard into flash games either though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Same here...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Yeah, I'm having similar difficulties. Info tech is destroying our collective attention span.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. janior Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    good for you, you are getting closer to overcoming your video game addiction

• Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mebrilia Arbiter

Mebrilia
    The main problems is that once upon a time in many crpg there was engaging quest that would keep you hook in... never felt like a grinding before... and when you were completing this quest you ended to feel also rewarded... Now all this newer titles are filled with tasks masked as quest.... Save the kitten.. fetch the milk to the local tavern.. go pick that and bring it back...

Is not about quantity but quality..

There is also in modern gamers who thinks "Tedious grinding= Challenge" or "Difficulty= Hp sponge ennemy.." and how you fell is not your fault per se.. but is the fault of a game industry that lack passion and creativity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Freddie Savant

Freddie
    Try games that are episodic. I got hooked on Resident Evil games because they don't take their story that seriously, so you don't really lose anything if you don't remember what exactly happened in the last episode. I tend to take long breaks but for me at least, it all comes back pretty fast.

Then, age I don't know, but thankfully among mundane things, life can be pretty good at times. Nothing wrong enjoying it.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    It happens.

Couple of years back I tried to play Arcanum at the time when I was busy with stuff.
    1 reserved hour for playing, I spent 40 minutes reading journal of the game.

Played only roguelites and such for the next 6 months.

Besides if playing games is not your paying job then there is no point in forcing it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    "growing old" is not the reason. i got old fast, i was born old, and the older i get the more i can't stand short games. i want a lasting pleasure, something that once finished i can put on a shelf but keep into the heart, fuck popcorn popamole, i still haven't touched elex because some guy dared mention that the main quest is less than 20 hours long. only 20 hours! holy crap, i clocked 1500 hours in warframe, i want more!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

no wonder the ecenomy is in the shitter! :P

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Parenthood killed off long games for me - now the ideal length is probably 10-15 hours. Anything longer than that and I'm likely to lose focus and move on to something else as I can at most play a couple of hours late at night and even then sometimes I want to do something else like watch some TV.

• Salute Salute x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I'd rather produce than consume, these days. I don't watch TV anymore either. A game would have to be either a bonafide classic I haven't played before or something new and visionary (lolol yeah right) for me to give it more than a few hours total. I'm actually satisfied with watching a game on Youtube for a bit instead of playing it, just to get some sort of the experience.

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    I find that it helps if I wait for a time when I know I'll have lots of free time (like Christmas break) to begin a long game, then I will get properly invested and will absolutely get well in and enjoy mayself and finish it. I can relate during busy times though definitely. I am hearing this a lot though, and I hope people like Larian aren't listening because I still think good RPGs give you a good long time to settle into the world and really give a shit, not only about the characters and story, but the setting too.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Starting to feel alone in still loving long games in my older days. Actually, I think I enjoy it more now, since single again(thank jebus), no kids, so feel like I have all the time in the world and everything else basically just sucks (movies, TV etc). The only thing I really dislike is padding, collecting 500 golden cornflakes for a weapon upgrade and stuff like that. You usually only find this stuff in open world games though.

• Brofist x 3
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    something tells me you'll be starting to feel alone in other departments too :)

^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I will get a cat in that case :)

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Kitty Kitty x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Sweden, YES!

• Racist Racist x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Carceri Arcane

Carceri
    After a certain age you cannot into long anything. It's alright.

• Old Old x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. HEKE Educated

HEKE
    I can still somehow manage to finish long games I played in the past through the power of nostalgia. Long games I'm yet to play, however, usually turn into tedious chores.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.