Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Castle Story - Minecraft meets Dwarf Fortress?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Seriously, I just fell in love with this video.

It's a very early alpha but it looks amazing already. It's kind of a RTS Minecraft, which is great. I "kind of" like Minecraft, but I've barely played it because I can't stand the grinding and I lack some motivation after certain time. But this looks like something that could solve that issue for good. Managing my slaves to build a fortress to defend themselves from the enemy in a procedurally generated world with Voxels? Yep, can't come soon enough.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You had me at RTS Minecraft. The unit being thrown into oblivion by the explosion sealed the deal.

I will definitely be observing their progress now.

Destroid

Arcane
Interesting, I'm interested to see more about the actual gameplay. I think it's actually pretty difficult to make an MP RTS game that is about castles and sieges. Stronghold 2 was a map control game in the end, which was really silly.

Multi-headed Cow

A lot of the building seems super fiddly, even more so than Dwarf Fortress, and I'm not sure how well the digging interface will work considering it looks even trickier than DF, but that does look sorta cool. If it's in the upcoming Indie Royale alpha bundle I'd certainly be interested.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Looks like it has potential (and the destruction/deform engine looks great), hope they add more of... everything. Template pieces for the lazy people would be good too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks pretty solid for an alpha. Too bad it's probably another year from release if not longer.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
Banal shit boring exemplified.
bKpml.jpg

Gorawala

Educated
Unfortunately it's more Minecraft than Dwarf Fortress. I guarantee you they have the casual and Minecraft market in mind.

It would be nice if they would incorporate some things e.g. from the Settlers series perhaps and you know, add a challenge.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Amazing! Seeing how Minecraft evolved from it's first videos, this game looks fantastic already.

I especialy loved how simple is the scenery, it reminds me of Warcraft 2 for some reason...maybe it's the trees.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy crap. They got like sixty $250+ backers in that short amount of time?! Looking forward to this -- hopefully it enables them to develop it faster.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The developers have been writing a bunch of dev diaries on their blog since the announcement, they've been very informative to the community so far, I recommend reading them to get a little insight on how they want to make the game.

http://www.sauropodstudio.com/blog/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only bad thing about this game is the people look like naked lego men.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't really have a problem with the art style. I know some people are put off by 'cartoony' looking graphics but they usually stand the test of time a lot better than most other options.

Multi-headed Cow

Poor Defense Grid 2. They're at $160,000 after week(s), and this hit $230,000 immediately. I just wanna kill aliens. :(

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Probably because people are wondering what the Defense Grid developers did with the proceeds of the sale of the first game. They also asked for too much money and foolishly put stretch goals up too early. $250k for just another eight missions/expansion? Who would pay $15 for that when the base game has been as low as $2? People probably withheld donations waiting to see if they actually hit the better stretch goals that would, at least, deliver a new engine.

Multi-headed Cow

Probably because people are wondering what the Defense Grid developers did with the proceeds of the sale of the first game. They also asked for too much money and foolishly put stretch goals up too early. $250k for just another eight missions/expansion? Who would pay $15 for that when the base game has been as low as $2? People probably withheld donations waiting to see if they actually hit the better stretch goals that would, at least, deliver a new engine.
Probably, yeah. It's certainly why I didn't sign up for their Kickstarter. If they got to the Defense Grid 2 goal or at least got NEAR it I'd probably chuck my money in, but eh. Despite my loving Defense Grid I'm not feeling $15 just for the map pack.

Yeah Haba, that looks nice, what is it? (Destroid, I'm thinking it could be Heaven & Hearth...)

Anyway, this Castle Story could be interesting, because they seem to want to have interesting exploration during the night, and terraria and minecraft quickly become boring, so I might give this a try if I like what I see. Seems less tedious like Berekän said without so much grinding.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Latest build of Towns. I'm starting to get tired of the genre.

Castle story seems to have a good UI on the other hand so there is that.

Latest build of Towns. I'm starting to get tired of the genre.

Castle story seems to have a good UI on the other hand so there is that.

And, how good/interesting is it? Inspiration seems to be Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper and Diablo, which sounds very good to me, at least on paper... I presume you only build, i.e. you can't explore the dungeon...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Final tally on the Castle Story Kickstarter was $700k. No excuse for these guys not to deliver a solid game with that type of funding (especially when they only asked for like $80k).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom