Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
jrpg style combat

This is considered jRPG combat? When I think jRPG combat I think of two groups of opponents standing in lines facing each other, only running forward to attack and then returning to said line. This game has a grid!

You'll get a four man party.

You get a party of 6!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I don't know why I said 4.
C49C5CEC5394E353461FD1E72037899C5A505A90

It feels jrpg-y to me. Lots of encounters, and you can use the same tactic a lot of the time.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It feels jrpg-y to me. Lots of encounters, and you can use the same tactic a lot of the time.

There's surprisingly a lot of spells and abilities, but the learn-by-doing mechanic definitely pushes you towards repeating the same tactics again and again.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

There's surprisingly a lot of spells and abilities, but the learn-by-doing mechanic definitely pushes you towards repeating the same tactics again and again.
Unless you're a 20Mind mage who can learn abilities with ease:obviously: I probably could've maxed out 3-4 schools of magic if I tried for that.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
It feels like the older grid based rpgs than a jrpg, to me. The early stuff that inspired the whole jrpg genre, indeed. Ultima and some of the gold box titles.

The thing this game truly does well though and I think makes it stand out is the exploration, which is a bit castlevania, really. Was surprised how addictive and fun it was.

Ive discovered that I cant handle the bullshit from newer titles with lots of dialogue and v/o. Maybe its just the terrible writing, maybe its because Im a cranky old fuck - but I was fine with the ye olden days where they gave you a paragraph or two to set the scene and then let you loose to explore - Might&Magic etc. Even with v/o those games wouldnt be overly wordy.

Pages and pages of trash tier creative writing 101 just melts my brain and kills any interest I have these days. Show, dont tell - less is more, etc etc

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The exploration really is the highlight of this game, I truly had fun with it. Absolutely no handholding, feels really satisfying when you figure out a secret, new techniques keep popping up as you continue the game which you can then use to unlock things you previously missed, etc.

I can't say anything else in the game is great per se, but it does its job which let's the exploration swoop in and take it to the next level.

Ladonna

Arcane
I forgot about this game. It looks fun. Reading comments here that its about exploration and combat only are major positives.

The only people that I have seen say they DON'T like this game have been those saying they just can't handle the graphics. Pretty much everyone else has found plenty of things about it that they love.

I enjoyed pretty much everything about it, except sometimes the amount of combat was a drag. Sometimes. And this is always something that effects me in games negatively, even if the system is fun (which it is in CoL).

And as I am discovering reading the thread, there are ways to mitigate this. Will have to remember this for next playthrough.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
The only people that I have seen say they DON'T like this game have been those saying they just can't handle the graphics.
This was something I thought I couldn't get over, especially since (like I said earlier in the thread), girlfriend LOVED the graphics and thought it was cute. Not once have we agreed and I go all codex sperg on her when she starts talking graphics, but the rest of the game was so fun that within the hour I managed to ignore it. Even so, I could appreciate the non-human designs, it was just the human sprites which I found pretty bad, maybe the only truly bad thing in the entire game overall.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
On another note, did anyone focus on the lore/story? I stopped reading books because the whole moons/Gods thing didn't hook me and wondering if it would've been worth it. I still skimmed through them in case I caught something to help with a secret but didn't care enough to get truly involved in fully understanding the lore behind moons and backstory.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
On another note, did anyone focus on the lore/story?

I read everything I came across, but I didn't find all the books and notes (there's an achievement for that). I found the lore/story serviceable, but it didn't hook me in either. It does it's job, but I don't think it's going to wow anyone. That said, there are quite a few secrets that can be found in the notes/books. Mostly words that you need to speak in the correct location.

On achievements, twelve of my top twenty rarest achievements on Steam are now from this game:
Screenshot from 2024-02-28 20-50-22.png

Ladonna

Arcane
On another note, did anyone focus on the lore/story? I stopped reading books because the whole moons/Gods thing didn't hook me and wondering if it would've been worth it. I still skimmed through them in case I caught something to help with a secret but didn't care enough to get truly involved in fully understanding the lore behind moons and backstory.

Not really. I read the odd one that interested me, skimmed the others to see if there was anything directly game related to secrets, etc.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
On another note, did anyone focus on the lore/story?

I read everything I came across, but I didn't find all the books and notes (there's an achievement for that). I found the lore/story serviceable, but it didn't hook me in either. It does it's job, but I don't think it's going to wow anyone. That said, there are quite a few secrets that can be found in the notes/books. Mostly words that you need to speak in the correct location.

On achievements, twelve of my top twenty rarest achievements on Steam are now from this game:
View attachment 47109

Agreed on the secrets, I just didn't love the game enough to 100% it.

I did get one fucked up secret which I doubt even a minority of people got, a whisper secret near the scapin village if you know what I'm talking about (but that one didn't require reading a book). Maybe it was obvious to most but I felt 200IQ finding that one.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The game has some dope secrets to find but you can also farm ore and stack your basic chain armor to invincibility at the smith.

As for the lore

The ending was something about the townspeople being sucked into another dimension so shadow creatures could feed off their nightmares or something. It was mildly interesting but ended with a lame cliffhanger. Still, it's always nice playing a game where the writer knows when to shut up.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
The game has some dope secrets to find but you can also farm ore and stack your basic chain armor to invincibility at the smith.

As for the lore

The ending was something about the townspeople being sucked into another dimension so shadow creatures could feed off their nightmares or something. It was mildly interesting but ended with a lame cliffhanger. Still, it's always nice playing a game where the writer knows when to shut up.
I appreciate an explanation about the ending because I was lost, mostly because it featured 2 characters talking for half of it which I never recruited lol One of them being the bard in the Town Hall when you first escape the cave, the other being
the person you need to decalcify
which I never did.

I was slightly disappointed with the ending because I didn't get a final boss fight which I prepped for but also didn't get to see the weird thing that
you randomly stumble upon which talks about the harvest
. Maybe I missed more dialogue with that thing but I never saw it again after I got to name it.

gogis

Scholar
The game has most unbearable, puzzling UI ever. Tutorial was so retarded I've disabled it immediately. Fastest refund in my history, by far. I was so angry, I wonder why developers make enticing games I most likely love and then program such retarded UI

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom