Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Comte

Does this game even have an ending?

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - September 27, 2019

Note: this update will break save compatibility. If you'd like to continue a save from a previous patch, you can switch back to that patch's branch. From Steam, right-click Caves of Qud > Properties > Betas > choose a branch. Last week's branch is 2.0.193.x'.

• Walls, furniture, and tombstones now occasionally appear with graffiti.
  • If the creature you're dominating gets turned to stone by a lithofex gaze, you no longer erroneously die.
  • Life loops now prevent the limb they're equipped on from being severed.
  • Sheba Hagadias no longer has the chance to spawn as a pulsed field magnet.
  • Fixed some display and reputation bugs on items painted or engraved with historical events from Resheph's life.
  • [modding] Conversation node text now ignores leading whitespace. You can now insert a space manually with the special character sequence "/_".
  • [modding] Fixed a bug in PlayerMutator.
  • [modding] Added a new property to item mods: NativeTier. When generating mods for an item, if a mod's native tier is higher than the to-be-modded item's tier, its likelihood of being chosen is reduced by a factor of (NativeTier-ItemTier)*10.
  • [modding] We refactored liquids.
    • Liquids are now derived from BaseLiquid and are tagged with the [IsLiquid] attribute.
    • Removed the byte identifiers. All liquid references are now based on string IDs mapped to the value assigned in BaseLiquid::ID.
  • [modding] Added support for extending the JoppaWorldBuilder. Classes that extend IJoppaWorldBuilder and are tagged with the JoppaWorldBuilder attribute now have their before and after methods called during JoppaWorldBuilder execution. Here's an example.
    [JoppaWorldBuilderExtension]
    public class MyJoppaWorldBuilderExtension : IJoppaWorldBuilderExtension
    {
    public override void OnBeforeBuild( JoppaWorldBuilder builder )
    {
    }
    public override void OnAfterBuild( JoppaWorldBuilder builder )
    {
    }
    }
[*][modding] Added support for generically extending world builders. Classes that extend IWorldBuilder and are tagged with the WorldBuilder attribute now have their before and after methods called during all WorldBuilder executions. The world builders typically (but not necessarily) extend WorldBuilder. Here's an example.
[WorldBuilderExtension]
public class MyWorldBuilderExtension : IWorldBuilderExtension
{
public override void OnBeforeBuild( string world, object builder )
{
}
public override void OnAfterBuild( string world, object builder )
{
}
}

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - October 11th, 2019

• Added two new cooking ingredients: congealed hulk honey and soul curd.
  • Added two new cooking domains: Strength-based effects and powerful regeneration/healing-based effects.
  • When you turn in 'A Call to Arms', Otho's damage assessment should now be more accurate. We fixed a couple bugs that caused the wrong outcome to be recorded.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented you from learning cooking recipes from villages.
  • Added a failure message for rifling through trash via Trash Divining.
  • Stun gas now only stuns things with brains.
  • Slog's annunclus no longer shows up in baetyl requests or other dynamic encounters.
  • Slime Glands and Gas Generation no longer work on the worldmap.
  • Fungal infections are now properly destroyed when forcibly removed.
  • Added case-specific messaging for loading and unloading an energy cell.
  • Loading an energy cell no longer generates a message saying that you dropped the cell.
  • Rephrased the description of Amphibious to be clearer.
  • Numpad 0 no longer acts as a hotkey for Abandon Character in the ESC menu.
  • Removed leading whitespace from some conversation choices.
  • Fixed a bug that caused flamethrowers and shotguns to not fire.
  • Fixed some liquid-related bugs with cooking and soup sludge spawning.
  • Fixed a rare exception with primordial soup.
  • You know why I'm here, Slog.
[*][modding] Conversation choice text loaded from XML now has its leading whitespaces trimmed.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - October 25, 2019

• Added two new cooking ingredients: congealed skulk and drop of nectar.
  • Added three new cooking domains: Agility-based effects, burrowing-based effects, and uncertain attribute-based effects.
  • Tszappur no longer has a chance to be disliked by the Mechanimists.
  • Ontological anchors, ulnar stimulators, and night-vision goggles now have power switches.
  • Slam once again requires a cudgel to be equipped.
  • Time dilation now imposes a minimum penalty of 1 Quickness if it takes effect at all.
  • Hidden factions no longer appear in the descriptions of NPCs who give reputation.
  • Ogre Ape Pelts are now categorized as trade goods instead of snacks.
  • You no longer get a warning message if an NPC picks up an object owned by someone else.
  • Fixed a bug where slotted energy cells would also remain in your inventory.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Frenzy to last indefinitely.
  • Fixed a bug that caused NPCs to avoid light sources that also cooled them.
  • Fixed a bug that let you escape out of certain mandatory dialogs, such as choosing a cooking recipe effect.
  • Fixed a bug that caused immigrant tinkers in villages to not get set up properly.
  • Fixed a missing newline in a Mechanimist saying.
[*][modding] We made bodies and body parts moddable. See Bodies.xml.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday and End-of-Year Patch Plans

Hey all,
We want to sketch out our patch plans for you for the rest of the year. Our work on the Tomb of the Eaters feature arc is reaching fever pitch, so you can expect smaller weekly patches leading up to the Tomb beta, which'll come either in November or early December. Once we put out the beta, it's likely we'll take a few weeks off from posting weekly patches until the Tomb feature arc is fully launched. After that, weekly patches will resume as normal.

That's it, friends. Be well, live, and drink.

• Albino ape pelts are now categorized as trade goods instead of snacks.
  • Creatures glyphs rendered by Heightened Hearing now properly respect your tile/ASCII settings instead of always appearing as tiles.
  • When a creature is being engulfed by another creature, if either one changes their phase, the engulfing is stopped.
  • The list of colors in the tattoo gun interface are now themselves appropriately colored.
  • Fixed a bug that caused you to sometimes become lost on a map that you had previously visited.
  • Fixed a bug that caused reveal-all actions to not reveal the lower-rightmost corner of the map.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some trash rifling success messages to not display as popups
  • [modding] We made several GoalHandler and AI classes public.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - November 9, 2019

• Added more grass variety.
  • Sealed liquid containers are no longer used as random cooking ingredients.
  • Liquids poured on the world map tiles are now lost.
  • Nests and nest-like beings can no longer be villagers.
  • You now stop automoving when you revert a vision induced by sphynx salt or Precognition.
  • Injecting multiple sphynx salt injectors now extends your vision duration rather than creating overlapping saves.
  • Fixed a bug that caused sphynx salt injectors not to be consumed if you reverted at the end of your vision.
  • Fixed a bug that caused your electrical charge to deplete when your clones discharged their Electrical Generation charge.
  • Fixed a bug that unintentionally prevented you from escaping out of several menus without making a selection.
  • Made Slam and Shank select the weapon they use more sensibly, and made Slam stop using armor.
  • [modding] PlayWorldSound now works on objects that are equipped or inside containers.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - November 16, 2019

• There are now sound effects for slotting and unslotting energy cells and recharging energy cells and capacitors.
  • You will now be prompted when attempting to beguile or proselytize a target that is already your follower.
  • Gas masks will now apply a bonus to gas-based saving throws.
  • Non-overlay string entry popups now allow you paste from the clipboard with ctrl+v
  • Fixed a bug that caused proselytize to go on cooldown when it's activation was cancelled before use.
  • Fixed a bug that unintentionally prevented you from escaping out of the "I have a secret to share with you." dialog
  • Fixed a bug that unintentionally prevented you from escaping out of the "Choose some gossip to share." dialog
[*][modding] ModifyDefendingSave events will now be passed to equipped objects.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
No patch Friday November 23, first 'Tomb of the Eaters' beta early next week

Hey all,
There'll be no patch this Friday. Instead, we're posting an early version of the Tomb of the Eaters feature arc—the first of the final few legs of the main quest—on the beta branch early next week. In December, we'll be focusing on refining the Tomb arc, and then we'll resume weeklies in January.

Thanks, friends. Live and drink.

incline.png

Looks like it's slowly coming to an end ^^

buffalo bill

Arcane
Tomb of the Eaters Beta #1

Welcome to the first Tomb of the Eaters beta! This is an unpolished and incomplete build of the Tomb of the Eaters feature arc. The beta takes you through the first half of the Tomb of the Eaters dungeon; we'll be making the rest of the dungeon available in the coming weeks. The full feature arc should be ready in early January.

If you're interested, come help us test! Our focus right now is on broad scale testing: big bugs, big balance issues, and big UX challenges. See this thread for details.

To access the beta: right-click on Caves of Qud in Steam, select Properties, click the Betas tab, and switch to the 'beta' branch.

We'll post the comprehensive patch notes with the full feature arc. For now, here's a summary.
  • Added the Tomb of the Eaters complex surrounding the Spindle at Omonporch.
  • Added the village of Ezra.
  • Added a new leg of the main quest: The Tomb of the Eaters.
  • Added a whole slew of combat animations and sounds. These can be disabled in the General options menu.
  • Added several new items.
  • Added several new item mods.
  • Added several new cybernetic implants.
  • Added three new factions: mopango, the villagers of Ezra, and the Daughters of Exile.
  • Added several new NPCs.
  • Added a new music track.
  • [modding] Made several improvements to the map editor.
  • [modding] Added support for the ZoneFactory property on a world node, which contains the name of a class deriving from IZoneFactory in the XRL.World.ZoneFactories namespace.
  • [modding] Added support for the ZoneFactoryRegex property on a world node, which optionally contains a regex that describes all worlds for which this world's zone factory should handle fabrication. Used when one world node handles several worlds.
  • [modding] Added WorldFactory::addAdditionalWorld, which allows the addition of new worlds at runtime.

PrettyDeadman

What fag stuff was added?

Wow this game is woke can't wait to play it!

Check the previous pages.

Caelyn Sandel is not THE author. She is just a person devs hired to help with something? Her fate is unlikely to affect game development process... The game has 2 main developers and while they are relatively woke, adding lgbtq mutants to the game isn't the focus of their work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I kinda like the premise and setting of this game, it's a good contrast to ToME, but with the constant updates I have doubts whether it isn't full of feature creep that unfocuses the game or makes it spread too thin. Any thoughts on that? No ending also kinda sounds weird.

PrettyDeadman

So I kinda like the premise and setting of this game, it's a good contrast to ToME, but with the constant updates I have doubts whether it isn't full of feature creep that unfocuses the game or makes it spread too thin. Any thoughts on that? No ending also kinda sounds weird.
They don't really add that many new features into the game. They mostly add new content, fix some stuff, imporve algorithms for auto-generating stuff and etc. The game still as focused as it was couple of years ago.

RKade8583

Novice
Never go to their discord. Pure cancer. I got yeeted so hard for daring to bring up politics in the politics channel that some of their people stalked me and forced me to include a "no politics" rule on my streams/videos just to get anything accomplished in a given day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm kinda still not convinced about the merits of this game and I want someone to sell me on it. Does it offer anything besides an extensive character creation system? Are there any fixed bosses or any unique creatures? Are there exploration possibilities that don't end up in a never ending procedural generation? Is there a chance to influence the story? Anything else noteworthy?

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
I'm kinda still not convinced about the merits of this game and I want someone to sell me on it. Does it offer anything besides an extensive character creation system? Are there any fixed bosses or any unique creatures? Are there exploration possibilities that don't end up in a never ending procedural generation? Is there a chance to influence the story? Anything else noteworthy?
All I can say is that I mentally controled a door, and gone adventuring as it. In another moment, I received orders from a vortex, I also mind controlled a cult leader and got all of their followers to follow me. Also great atmosphere, music and aesthetics.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, I am aware of the crazy shit you can do, but is there actual structure to the game or is it purely a procedurally generated sandbox? If it's only endless fields and same-y dungeons, it kinda kills your desire to explore and go further into the game.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Like few people noticed: the game is great but creator should stop adding new mechanics for time being and finish main quest.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Yes, I am aware of the crazy shit you can do, but is there actual structure to the game or is it purely a procedurally generated sandbox? If it's only endless fields and same-y dungeons, it kinda kills your desire to explore and go further into the game.
There is a combination of proc gen and hand placed content—more of the latter than in many roguelikes. There is a story, NPCs, unique enemies (a few anyway) and side quests.

Have you played the game? IMO it is one of the best roguelikes ever made. The quality becomes quickly apparent if you play it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't, I'm considering buying it because it does indeed look cool and I like the setting and character creation, but I'm always wary of procedural generation because it needs something concrete and hand placed to be able to "keep it together" as it were. After I read that even the lore is proc gen'd, I kinda assume the worst.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I haven't, I'm considering buying it because it does indeed look cool and I like the setting and character creation, but I'm always wary of procedural generation because it needs something concrete and hand placed to be able to "keep it together" as it were. After I read that even the lore is proc gen'd, I kinda assume the worst.

Buy it and play it for a couple of hours. If it's not your thing, return it.

buffalo bill

Arcane
The lore is also a combination of hand written and proc gen. I agree that proc gen lore is sort of silly--it ends up being something I never seriously pay attention to in any given playthrough. But the hand written lore is generally good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom