Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE) deserves our love

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by MisterStone, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's not so much the few first hours, but the exploration and "impetus" let's say of the middle and end-game. It might be fun exploring featureless swamps and forests for the first 2 hours until you get used to your character, but it needs more than that after. Like for example a crashed alien ship you can find, or a laboratory where people are trying to reverse the mutations gone sexual wrong, or pre-apocalypse technology vaults with secrets or something. That's what I mean.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill
    There are things like that. The game is certainly not just flower fields and forests and swamps. I think the mid-game content is far better than the early-game content, especially the Golgotha and Bethesda Susa dungeons. Enemy variety also opens up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Ok, you convinced me, I bought it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    Smart move. See you in 100 hours!

^ Top  
  5. BinaryForest Novice

BinaryForest
    Years long development with frequent updates and features coming/going is pretty par for the course for classic roguelikes. They're like the proto-games as a service, except without the part where they squeeze money from you at every opportunity

^ Top  
  6. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    There's a difference between feature creep and adding content or refining already existing features. Feature creep takes away from the focus of the game by adding superfluous activities or replacing core gameplay loops. For example adding crafting which replaces the need for loot hunt, it obviously cheapens the loot hunt (*cough* D:OS1-2, Tower of Time *cough*) and the rewards from it.

^ Top  
  7. Tse Tse Fly Learned

Tse Tse Fly
    Interesting, when will this thing finally get out of early access? According to the information on the home page full release was supposed to happen in 2017, 2018, 2019, but it gets delayed again and again.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Roguelikes never seem to be finished, but I guess it's gonna be "officially" released once they complete the main quest.

^ Top  
  9. There are fixed bosses and unique creature, also there are unique locations (including dungeons).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill
    Game-wise, not a very exciting post (though the soundtrack is good imo):

• nice nice x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    I enjoyed the music. Good to know it'll be downloadable soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Molina Learned

Molina
    I'm not sure whether to buy Cave of Qud or ADOM. I'd like a rogue like, where I could build my own story. I'm looking forward to the release of DF steam for that... but in the meantime... Do you have any suggestions?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Just play ADOM 1.1.1 or that old free ASCII verison of Qud. make your own opinion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tao Savant

Tao
    https://cataclysmdda.org/

Be carefull, is a drug.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    One thing I often miss in roguelikes are interesting (procedural) quests that tie into the game. I like the procedural ones in stoneshard and wonder if anything like that is in Caves of Qud? Played it a long time ago and loved the descriptions and general feel of the world. Hope they did something with that setting that lets you have an impact on the world.

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ADOM is free
    https://www.adom.de/home/downloads.html

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill
    First play the free ASCII ADOM (I personally really hate the tileset in the non-free one anyway). The free Caves of Qud is far, far different from the EA version, so I think it's worth paying for the non-free Qud. Overall, Qud is a more interesting and better game than ADOM imo (I've played both a ton, and love ADOM as well), but it's best to cut your teeth on ADOM first maybe.

Qud has at least one interesting procedural quest, in the optional Bey Lah hidden village. It's sort of detective quest. There are also others in the randomly generated villages, and random quest-like tasks related to the sultans, but all of these generally amount to fancy fetch quests. I'm hoping they implement some more interesting optional non-fetch quests off the main storyline in the future. I should mention that I haven't played recently, and there is some new content at the end of the main path that might include procedural quest elements (in the beta branch).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    The free ADOM has full graphics. It's identical to the Steam version sans some options regarding difficulty stuff.

^ Top  
  21. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill
    Oh yeah, I see. I have only downloaded the ASCII one I guess. Again, I really dislike those tiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. jungl Augur

jungl
    so I tried this out and initially got a good impression and thought the game was awesome. Then I noticed how some builds are extremely op like con mutant with regen and horn mutation and lost interest. Also playing a rogue like without a end game and gradual growing challenge on the player is boring as can be.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    You're only limited by your imagination.

^ Top  
  24. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    That and the lategame enemies that instakill you from offscreen before you ever see them.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.