Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Gunnar

Arbiter
No, and you can't make me. I hate the quests in this game, they are one of the worst things about it. I left main quest to last and tapped out during mushroom forest, I just couldn't take any more unenjoyable pointless cryptic bullshit that I didn't care about in the slightest. Are you suggesting that the main quest content improves dramatically after that?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do you get high in the mushroom forest or is it some sort of pervy fungi fag fest?

BEWARE OF THE MUSHROOM FOREST! TURN BACK NOW!!!

.... they were never the same.... those that escaped..... (shudders and the old man turns away mumbling).... horrible just horrible...

buffalo bill

Arcane
No, and you can't make me. I hate the quests in this game, they are one of the worst things about it. I left main quest to last and tapped out during mushroom forest, I just couldn't take any more unenjoyable pointless cryptic bullshit that I didn't care about in the slightest. Are you suggesting that the main quest content improves dramatically after that?
No, I can't say that it does. Probably Golgatha and Bethesda Susa are the best parts of the game, but the tomb of the eaters is also not bad imo. I agree that the proc gen is a bit wonky sometimes (especially sultan tombs), but it's overall not much worse than most roguelikes. Don't really agree that the skills are useless, e.g. the rifle ability that lets you pin down enemies is incredibly useful sometimes, as are most of the melee skills if you are playing a melee-focused character. And the increases on mutations are sometimes pretty massive, adding e.g. damage dice (which translates into very large changes in damage output quite quickly) or raw quickness (which can be game breaking tbh).

Anyway none of this really matters, since not every game is for everyone. Obv if you don't like it, it is what it is (btw, do you like ADOM? I've played both of them about the same amount, and the two games strike me as similar in some ways). Regardless, I do hate that dev politics makes talking about the game (rather than the game's discord or twitter or whatever) almost impossible, since every single conversation almost immediately degenerates into talking about things that are not in the game.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The political shit is inane but what else is there to talk about? Devs aren’t doing anything exciting and theres not much to the game, really. I haven’t played ADOM, though i have played my fair share of roguelikes, its not my favourite genre but the things I dislike the most about Caves have very little to do with its roguelike aspects.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do you get high in the mushroom forest or is it some sort of pervy fungi fag fest?
You literally get spores sprayed all over you and then the game gives you something like monkeypox that is very hard to get rid of
Sounds like they're copying violet Fungi from AD&D. It rots the fuck out of you but it is touch based I believe and not spores. It has been a while since I looked it up.

Gunnar

Arbiter
You literally get spores sprayed all over you and then the game gives you something like monkeypox that is very hard to get rid of
Sounds like they're copying violet Fungi from AD&D. It rots the fuck out of you but it is touch based I believe and not spores. It has been a while since I looked it up.
I actually like the diseases in this game. They're creative and do interesting things and aren't just boring stat penalties. It's just that if you want to find a cure, you have to interact with a cryptic quest that is ridiculous. Cool things like diseases and the items i mentioned before get lost in the larger mediocrity of the game, it's a shame.

buffalo bill

Arcane
theres not much to the game, really
Of course it is fine if you don't like what's in the game, but it strikes me as just false that the game is sparse. There are a ton of sub-systems in the game (e.g. liquid and gas interactions, food & cooking systems, diseases and fungal infections, cybernetics, more radical body transformations, etc.), lots of enemy types, lots of terrain types, a fair number of side quests and locations, a vast number of items and a vast number of possible builds. You may think the quality of all of this is low (and hey, that's a fine opinion), but there certainly is a great deal of content in the game.

buffalo bill

Arcane
btw you don't need to interact with the main questline at all to get instructions for disease and fungus cures, they are all found in the corpus choliys which can be traded for in kyakukya (owned by the mayor), and that book is also a frequent inventory item for booksellers at the six day stilt

Gunnar

Arbiter
lots of subsystems and nothing to do with any of them, because theres nothing to the combat or the game. You can say that's just like, my opinion man but I don’t see how you can seriously sit there and defend the Corpus quest, as one of the worst quest offenders in the game that just seems intellectually dishonest.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
All this drama and the game isn't even that good, so who gives a shit?

All the procedurally generated content is trash, the combat is dull and way too easy, most monsters are samey, the few handcrafted quests are nearly all horrendous cryptic bullshit, the skill tree is boring and actually needless since I never felt like a skill made much difference to my ability to kill monsters. The GUI is awful with gibberish place and character names for everything and multiple areas within each map tile represented by a white triangle that you have to click to see what is in it. As a rifle user, I found the best one pretty early in the game and then never got a new rifle after that, which sucked. The devs idea of gameplay is "You see some ruins" or "theres a goatfolk village", repetitive garbage which represents 90% of the encounters on the game map.

the game is fun when you are collecting schematics and parts and building items that do cool things. I liked picking out new mutations every 4 levels. Leveling the mutations up is totally boring, since all it does is increase a simple % in most cases, but getting new ones felt like I was gaining significant new powers. Having said that, you can reach the end of fun things to do pretty fast and there's just no meat on this game to do much else.

After playing the game years ago, and playing it now, very little has changed in terms of things that matter or make the game more fun to play. They probably lucked into a decent early start and have no idea what the fuck to do with it now due to a lack of talent. The tranny/furry bullshit keeps people talking about the game I guess.
It's ironic that the best thing about the game is the Sseth meme video, the fans of which the devs repeatedly shat themselves over later.

Jigby

Augur
All this drama and the game isn't even that good, so who gives a shit?
I think from the pre-Set era, which is 10+ years, no one give a shit. The people that care tend to be from the post-Seth era, ergo either Sethtards, or KritikalMAGA (i'm thinking of the kind of people that replaced the flags in the Spiderman game... another game that no one gives a fuck about). So indeed, "no one" cares.

Edit: also, I'm not being facetious. From the places that I visit that have active roguelike communities, no one talks about Putus Templar or talking plants or whatever crap there is. But I might be missing some places. Maybe some russian roguelike forums?

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
I've started playing this game and I'm hooked. The lore/world seems interesting and I went with the cybernatic (True Kin) build. Strangely I've made it 3.5 hours without dying (only died once a few minutes in when I was learning the controls). In RLs I usually die dozens of times when I start playing. The UI in the sub-menus (inventory, skills etc) is a bit of a mess even when switching over to the modern UI elements but I think it's still a work in progress.

Also cool that there is a sort of regular game mode (non-RL, with checkpoints) if one wants to just explore the world. I think TOME had this too.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The lore/world seems interesting and I went with the cybernatic (True Kin) build. Strangely I've made it 3.5 hours without dying (only died once a few minutes in when I was learning the controls). In RLs I usually die dozens of times when I start playing. The UI in the sub-menus (inventory, skills etc) is a bit of a mess even when switching over to the modern UI elements but I think it's still a work in progress.
For all the criticisms, it's definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the usual generic high fantasy most roguelikes revolve around. And yeah, the UI is still a wip, though I've no idea when it's going to be finished. Game is a bit of a trope with early access development given they keep adding and reworking things without finishing the core game, but at the very least there's zero indication it's going to be abandoned.

buffalo bill

Arcane
The lore/world seems interesting and I went with the cybernatic (True Kin) build. Strangely I've made it 3.5 hours without dying (only died once a few minutes in when I was learning the controls). In RLs I usually die dozens of times when I start playing. The UI in the sub-menus (inventory, skills etc) is a bit of a mess even when switching over to the modern UI elements but I think it's still a work in progress.
For all the criticisms, it's definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the usual generic high fantasy most roguelikes revolve around. And yeah, the UI is still a wip, though I've no idea when it's going to be finished. Game is a bit of a trope with early access development given they keep adding and reworking things without finishing the core game, but at the very least there's zero indication it's going to be abandoned.
the main questline goes right to up to the endgame now as far as I can tell

buffalo bill

Arcane
the main questline goes right to up to the endgame now as far as I can tell
Huh, when did that change? I tried to keep up with their changelogs for a while, but the headers are always generic to the point that you need to read everything to know anything.
I'm not sure exactly when, but the main questline goes right up to a quest to ascend the spindle (after constructing a golem/mech thing, which involves an optional step to go to the moon stair and do a bunch of things at the moving crystal tree, with lots of content there). Seems like the Ptoh and Putus storylines will get resolved at the top of the spindle.

xuerebx

Erudite
Seems like there's an update released every Friday if you opt-in for the Beta on steam. Since there could be bugs and/or there might be save game compatabilities I'd rather not opt in. For those that don't opt in, any idea when a stable update is generally released on Steam (for everyone I mean, not just Beta users)?

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Was having a good run yesterday with my first mutant. Then got to Golgotha for the first time. I don't know what I should have done, but killing enemies was not a good strategy. Unfortunately did not learn much from my death as I don't see what I could have done differently - every time I go down the chute I find like 10+ crabs waiting for me.

As a side point - does one need to complete the Joppa quests in order to proceed with the main quest? Or can I take a different route? Just to see if I can now start experimenting with different starting locations and custom characters

Trithne

Erudite
Was having a good run yesterday with my first mutant. Then got to Golgotha for the first time. I don't know what I should have done, but killing enemies was not a good strategy. Unfortunately did not learn much from my death as I don't see what I could have done differently - every time I go down the chute I find like 10+ crabs waiting for me.

As a side point - does one need to complete the Joppa quests in order to proceed with the main quest? Or can I take a different route? Just to see if I can now start experimenting with different starting locations and custom characters

For Golgotha, if you have access to flight or rubbergum you can skip the chutes entirely. Otherwise yes, get through the chutes as quickly as possible and have a plan for dealing with the inevitable Glotrot.

If you start elsewhere, going to Joppa will trigger the main story without having to do Joppa's quests. Arguably the only quest you have to do is Argyve's anyway, the others are just sort of tutorials.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks! Dammit, I had mechanical wings...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom