Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Scrolled through the last 3 pages in the hope to learn something of the game, and what did I see?

gay blablabla... jewish this and that... men who have sex with other men... trannies... commies...

Uh, thanks?
You want to know about the game? The writing is generally good but tends to be a bit too verbose and certain NPCs are very obvious self-inserts.
The handcrafted areas are the most interesting parts but the story is still unfinished so you'll run out of those eventually. The combat is simplistic and, due to the skill system, stacked against the player. For example, cutting off limbs from enemies is cool and all but when they do it to you it'll ruin your character for a long long time. Itemization is meh because the types of items you'll use regularly are actually very limited. Good luck finding new laser pistols when your old ones happen to break.

Jigby

Augur
The last time I played it was 2.5 years ago. I like it because it's a fairly meaty roguelike that's still classical in its design, but doesn't try to copy the Berlin formula too slavishly. These days I feel like you only get some metroidvania roguelites, or you get a hundredth update in some 35 year old Unix classic. Or a 7-day RL. Caves of Qud is a proper RL with a lot of systems. It's not very tactical which incidentally makes me like the game more. I'm tired of the usual RL tactics. You make a killhole, you stairdance, divide and conquer bla bla... Combat in Qud doesn't require much *skill*. Instead of managing hunger or some other time-clock I get to cook banana smoothies, learn new recipes, create eater's nectars, replicate them, become the King Kong of the jungle, wipe out a village ... well that was that 2.5 years ago. My main complaints were that I felt that the early game didn't have enough breadth. The devs are mostly putting content along the main path, prolonging the main quest. I feel like that pathway through the game (at least once you figure it out) doesn't have enough variance in terms of dungeons/places etc. And then the game is a Rubik's cube that's not that difficult to solve. Like I said, it doesn't require much skill. But I still enjoyed playing it. I am burned out on IDing wands of petrification.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
Scrolled through the last 3 pages in the hope to learn something of the game, and what did I see?

gay blablabla... jewish this and that... men who have sex with other men... trannies... commies...

Uh, thanks?
You want to know about the game? The writing is generally good but tends to be a bit too verbose and certain NPCs are very obvious self-inserts.
The handcrafted areas are the most interesting parts but the story is still unfinished so you'll run out of those eventually. The combat is simplistic and, due to the skill system, stacked against the player. For example, cutting off limbs from enemies is cool and all but when they do it to you it'll ruin your character for a long long time. Itemization is meh because the types of items you'll use regularly are actually very limited. Good luck finding new laser pistols when your old ones happen to break.
limb regrowth is fairly easy—there's an early-game quest reward that offers a one-time limb regrowth (ubernostrum tonic) and there are permanent limb-regrowth items at an early-mid game location (bethesda susa). also, there are only like two early-game enemies that can cut off limbs that I can recall off the top of my head (sawhand robots and madpole fish), and the madpole fish are extremely easy to avoid (since they're stuck in water). Laser pistols are not that great, and plentiful. there is mad item diversity, and most items are either generally useful or situationally useful.

imo these criticisms are all based on an early game experience.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I'd like to mention that coming from DCSS, dungeon generation in CoQ is a bit disapponting, in most cases their algorithm spews out nonsensical haphazard mess. In DCSS dungeons layouts appear not as chaotic.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I feel like that pathway through the game (at least once you figure it out) doesn't have enough variance in terms of dungeons/places etc.
Definitely agree, and it's obviously a mistake to not allow the player to side with the "bad guys". But since 2.5 years ago there has been a lot of content added. I believe that the tomb of the eaters is new since then, and there are now several side quests in optional locations. But the main path is too linear, yeah.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Uh, thanks?
limb regrowth is fairly easy—there's an early-game quest reward that offers a one-time limb regrowth (ubernostrum tonic) and there are permanent limb-regrowth items at an early-mid game location (bethesda susa). also, there are only like two early-game enemies that can cut off limbs that I can recall off the top of my head (sawhand robots and madpole fish), and the madpole fish are extremely easy to avoid (since they're stuck in water). Laser pistols are not that great, and plentiful. there is mad item diversity, and most items are either generally useful or situationally useful.

I have a gunslinger character currently on the Pax Klanq(?) Quest. I've not seen good pistols anywhere so far.

buffalo bill

Arcane

Uh, thanks?

I have a gunslinger character currently on the Pax Klanq(?) Quest. I've not seen good pistols anywhere so far.
the reef hermits in the palladium reef usually carry good gear if you don't want to dive deep underground, or the grave robbers in the tomb of the eaters almost always have decent ranged weapons. If you've only found unmodded laser pistols at the point you're at, though, I'd say you got unlucky with RNG. Btw fyi adding a sturdy mod to overloaded laser pistols (or any powered item) prevents it from breaking (and overloaded items break constantly—I never use them unless also sturdy).

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Uh, thanks?
Literally the dev's comments. This is who is developing the game, and what they spam twitter with.

As usual, the devs earn the feedback they receive. If all you want to see is game comments, go to reddit or reset era, where I'm sure they'd ban us for talking about what the devs themselves say.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Definitely agree, and it's obviously a mistake to not allow the player to side with the "bad guys". But since 2.5 years ago there has been a lot of content added. I believe that the tomb of the eaters is new since then, and there are now several side quests in optional locations. But the main path is too linear, yeah.
are the templars actually _the_ bad guys though? i haven't gotten far enough to know for certain, but i thought they were just one antagonistic faction you couldn't join out of like 60 total similar.

Trithne

Erudite
The thing is, you can't join any faction. The game does railroad you into co-operating with the Barathumites, but if you can get rep up with anyone the best you can get is "they won't murder you on sight and you can visit their holy sites", which you can do with the Putus Templar, it's just hard because there's limited opportunities to raise their rep, and mutants start at -600.

Lorewise, the Templar are pretty clear about a few things: Kill all mutants, and keep a close eye on any True Kin because they aren't PVRE Templar stock, which has been kept so through generations of inbreeding, so they might be secret mutants.

buffalo bill

Arcane
are the templars actually _the_ bad guys though? i haven't gotten far enough to know for certain, but i thought they were just one antagonistic faction you couldn't join out of like 60 total similar.
Well, even ptoh (the elder-god-type entity trapped in qud and who has something to do with the main spindle quest) might not ultimately be the "bad guy"
there is a very late-game side quest in the roving area of the moon stair to help a crystal leaf join with ptoh
, and the putus are constantly harassing the barathrumites including
their mid-game invasion of the barathrumite stronghold
. There's also an overall theme in the game of embracing change, especially apparent in the roving moon stair area—which I found less politically cringy than the other identity-politics-insert factions/areas tbh—which makes the putus the thematic bad guys also.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Theodora buffalo bill Trithne
Again, I think part of the complaint/request is not only an issue of joining, but playing as a member of said faction from the start like you can as a water merchant.

Also, that if you express approval of of said group, or ask about having them added as an option, you get banned from the devs' discord because muh fascism.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That seems like an oversimplification, but let's not go into a circular argument, agreed? (Otherwise we'll just get into a debate about what is or isn't just bad concern trolling.)

Starting as a Templar is a fairer suggestion, but how far would they have to rewrite the storyline etc. to accommodate their disposition and the kind of reaction you'd expect as a result (as well as realistic options for you)?

Trithne

Erudite
I agree that there should be more avenues through the main story than just "help the bears". Then they wouldn't have to make Q Girl immortal up to a point because otherwise it would soft lock your story.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Starting as a Templar is a fairer suggestion, but how far would they have to rewrite the storyline etc. to accommodate their disposition and the kind of reaction you'd expect as a result (as well as realistic options for you)?
That's a good question. One that the devs don't ask, since they just ban or threaten to ban you for being a "fascist" if you request it, or if you approve of that faction at all.

Since the PT are a faction bent on exterminating mutants, I wouldn't imagine it'd be that much extra work. Just give players some kill everything missions, ruin their rep with other factions and generally cut much of the game's content. It'd be more of a challenge build/playthrough.

If Jeff Vogel could do it with just about every Geneforge game ever released, I don't see why this company can't. Unless it's the fact that they sperg out at the mere suggestion and ban their customers. Yeah, could be that.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That's a good question. One that the devs don't ask, since they just ban or threaten to ban you for being a "fascist" if you request it, or if you approve of that faction at all.
I don't disagree that they're super uptight, but given they got raided by people using that as an excuse to start weird debates I kinda see why they cbf distinguishing the 1% of people raising the issue from a genuine place of interest. Not Sseth's fault that a lot of his fans are braindead, but such is the way of things in Edgy Gaming YouTube.

Since the PT are a faction bent on exterminating mutants, I wouldn't imagine it'd be that much extra work. Just give players some kill everything missions, ruin their rep with other factions and generally cut much of the game's content. It'd be more of a challenge build/playthrough.
Feels like you'd reach a dead end of knowing what to do without some extremely contrived shit to direct you.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
but given they got raided by people
Nigger, that was 2 years ago. And I'd hardly call sending thousands of people to buy a game a "raid".

Again, it's the dev's attitude that brought this on. I don't see the Starsector devs pissing themselves on Twitter years later about muh Nazis.
Feels like you'd reach a dead end of knowing what to do without some extremely contrived shit to direct you.
Feels like you haven't played Geneforge, Arcanum or any other game that gives you an optional exterminatus ending.

Can we just admit they don't want to add it because of muh facism? (Which is something they themselves have said and still have pinned at the top of their Steam forum last time I checked.)

Dadd

Learned
Can we just admit they don't want to add it because of muh facism? (Which is something they themselves have said and still have pinned at the top of their Steam forum last time I checked.)
This is obvious. Why is anyone disputing this? lmao

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Nigger, that was 2 years ago. And I'd hardly call sending thousands of people to buy a game a "raid".
I just said I didn't associate them with Sseth ffs <_> and it's been the same tired shit for two years, get over it, don't buy it. Why does it matter so much?

tl;dr what buffalo bill said.

It's not a dispute, but the point is they're not going to do something they don't want to do with their own game when it would also arguably be a ton of work.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I rarely read the politics or beliefs of game developers. I could give two fucks. I just buy the merch and play it. I saw some odd shit with the son of Judges Guild skme years ago. DrivethruRPG stopped selling all JG product. Go fucking figure because of some idiot comment the son made. Meh. Good thing I bought a few products and pirated the rest (until those sites got nuked).

Mauman

Learned
It's not a dispute, but the point is they're not going to do something they don't want to do with their own game when it would also arguably be a ton of work.

I feel dirty for saying this, but I agree with you. However, you can do this without being a narcissistic piece of shit that shouts "dUh NaHTZZZIss".

Also, nice moving the goalposts there.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I just said I didn't associate them with Sseth ffs <_> and it's been the same tired shit for two years, get over it, don't buy it. Why does it matter so much?
Because the devs keep whining about it.

And because odds are something you very much like sucks. Why? Because this is the RPGCodex. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom