Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
And because odds are something you very much like sucks. Why? Because this is the RPGCodex. :M
Dude, I've barely played Qud lol. I think it's a nice roguelike from what I've played, and it fits a profile of player that isn't particularly rare; but that's very limited compared to others and I'd recommend a lot of other retail titles first. There aren't a ton of "sophisticated" (as far as traditional roguelikes go) sci-fi releases to recommend to people, so it's inevitably going to get a fair bit of attention on that alone until someone does the whole "Dune"-esque setting better.

Maybe don't try to interpret everything through a tribalist lens based on presumptions? Hell, I don't even agree with the devs' decisions, but it sure as hell doesn't warrant this endless whinge where certain people seem deadset on contorting every discussion about the game.

Also, nice moving the goalposts there.
It's not really moving goalposts when you never argued the point being contested.

I feel dirty for saying this, but I agree with you.
Good for you, hardly shameful to not be vapid.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
And because odds are something you very much like sucks. Why? Because this is the RPGCodex.
Dude, I've barely played Qud lol. <blahblahblah how absolutely dare you etc>
:hmmm:

I realize you're relatively new here, but this was the tagline of this website for well over a decade.
it sure as hell doesn't warrant this endless whinge where certain people seem deadset on contorting every discussion about the game.
Again, they keep bringing it up. They keep banning their fans. I'll keep talking about it.

If it upsets you, tell the devs to cut it out.

edit:

(updated with the deleted tweets)
screenshot-2023-12-23-031924-png.44884

Here's your citation, Theo.

I can also quote the devs bringing up Sseth over and over too, or their own Steam page where they cry about trolls and say they'll ban anyone who approves of the villains in their game.

edit: also, one of the devs is a convicted pedophile. Mods censored the thread.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/caves-of-qud-part-time-contractor-is-a-pedophile.149186/page-6

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
I started playing this game again after a while to see what's changed. I decided to build my character as an angel sent by God to cleanse the land of the disgusting furry deviants and other abominations that have come to populate the world of Qud and rebuild a proper Christian civilization with normal humans. Hopefully there will be some white men I can find who can help me in my mission. My main weapon will be a Rifle.

Initially:

-Winged
-Heightened Quickness
-Triple Jointed
-Photosynthetic skin
-Night Vision

Added Later:

-Electromagnetic Pulse for rebuking robots and other profane constructs
-Flaming Ray is useful for cooking lower level unbelievers and saving ammo
-Regeneration for faster healing

So far, it's been a cakewalk as I hover above and rain destruction down, and just zip away real fast if anything bad happens.

A lot of this procedurally generated shit is total garbage, fuck sakes.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
I started playing this game again after a while to see what's changed. I decided to build my character as an angel sent by God to cleanse the land of the disgusting furry deviants and other abominations that have come to populate the world of Qud and rebuild a proper Christian civilization with normal humans. Hopefully there will be some white men I can find who can help me in my mission. My main weapon will be a Rifle.

Initially:

-Winged
-Heightened Quickness
-Triple Jointed
-Photosynthetic skin
-Night Vision

Added Later:

So far, it's been a cakewalk as I hover above and rain destruction down, and just zip away real fast if anything bad happens.

how is golgatha with this build?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And because odds are something you very much like sucks. Why? Because this is the RPGCodex.
Dude, I've barely played Qud lol. <blahblahblah how absolutely dare you etc>
:hmmm:

I realize you're relatively new here, but this was the tagline of this website for well over a decade.
it sure as hell doesn't warrant this endless whinge where certain people seem deadset on contorting every discussion about the game.
Again, they keep bringing it up. They keep banning their fans. I'll keep talking about it.

If it upsets you, tell the devs to cut it out.

edit:

Here's your citation, Theo.

I can also quote the devs bringing up Sseth over and over too, or their own Steam page where they cry about trolls and say they'll ban anyone who approves of the villains in their game.

went to their discord a few years(?) ago after I bought it, and they had it gated where you had to fill out an application, where it was like, "we cater to ~15% of the population and we're loud and proud about it" and was like, 'yeah, better not get into that cesspool'.

I rarely read the politics or beliefs of game developers. I could give two fucks.

this is also my policy, if it's all over your discord, get fuckered; doubly, no, triply so if you put that shit in your patch notes which will make me hate you and never play your game again. The patch notes thing is related to a separate game but the point stands nonetheless.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The patch notes thing is related to a separate game but the point stands nonetheless.
Domina, right? Yeah, the guy swallowed all the redpills at once and just spewed his politics everywhere.

Steam banning him from their platform and depriving users of updates isn't really the same as individual users on some obscure RPG forum complaining about what game devs say and do though.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The patch notes thing is related to a separate game but the point stands nonetheless.
Domina, right? Yeah, the guy swallowed all the redpills at once and just spewed his politics everywhere.

Steam banning him from their platform and depriving users of updates isn't really the same as individual users on some obscure RPG forum complaining about what game devs say and do though.
Yes, and yes they are separate but vidya is a hobby and like any hobbyist I like to talk about these things and not have to deal with self censorship to please a bunch of things skinned weirdoes who need to see some sunlight, or hear some red pulled fucktards go on about whatever they believe. Someone wants to talk politics, let's talk about how weird it is that a lot of fantasy games are stuck in a quasi-feudal state for seemingly thousands of years?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, and yes they are separate but vidya is a hobby and like any hobbyist I like to talk about these things and not have to deal with self censorship to please a bunch of things skinned weirdoes who need to see some sunlight, or hear some red pulled fucktards go on about whatever they believe.
So, you don't want to have censorship, but you also want others censored?

I mean, I'm not trying to get personal with you here or anything, since we both agree that devs are fair game to criticize if they sperg about politics or whatever, but it just seems a bit contradictory.

I am all for anyone who wants to tell the Domina dev that they'll never buy another product of his due to his beliefs, and the same with QUD and theirs. But I'm not for Steam banning either of them just because I don't know how to click the close button on a game update window. I mean, who even reads those anyway? Did you ever even see it, or just hear about it?
Someone wants to talk politics, let's talk about how weird it is that a lot of fantasy games are stuck in a quasi-feudal state for seemingly thousands of years?
The meta explanation is that fantasy games are about a medieval times and myths. Advancing these societies too far beyond that point destroys the setting as a device for medieval storytelling. The in-universe explanation, for D&D, is that they aren't locked in that state at all, and that there have been numerous cataclysms that have wiped out advanced civilizations like Nethril. And then there's the fact that magic itself removes the need for advancement. Why develop modern medicine when the right mix of potions or spells can do anything from regrowing limbs, to raising the dead?

Gunnar

Arbiter

Initially:

-Winged
-Heightened Quickness
-Triple Jointed
-Photosynthetic skin
-Night Vision

Added Later:

It was nothing I couldn't handle, the EMP helps but isn't strictly necessary. The regeneration helps a lot against all the clouds and poisons, actually a really useful mutation and I fast tracked it. Other than that I had a good rifle and lots of agility and quickness and had no problems.

In general dungeon crawling is a major weakness because I can't fly, I'm not specced to melee, I can't use my skin and also because I can't use regenerating solar cells underground to power my rifles. Although, it hasn't really been stopping me from progressing.

Playing with Wings is so convenient, though it does remove a major aspect of the game where you have to journey to places.

buffalo bill

Arcane

Initially:

-Winged
-Heightened Quickness
-Triple Jointed
-Photosynthetic skin
-Night Vision

Added Later:

It was nothing I couldn't handle, the EMP helps but isn't strictly necessary. The regeneration helps a lot against all the clouds and poisons, actually a really useful mutation and I fast tracked it. Other than that I had a good rifle and lots of agility and quickness and had no problems.

In general dungeon crawling is a major weakness because I can't fly, I'm not specced to melee, I can't use my skin and also because I can't use regenerating solar cells underground to power my rifles. Although, it hasn't really been stopping me from progressing.

Playing with Wings is so convenient, though it does remove a major aspect of the game where you have to journey to places.
yeah, I almost never play with wings because it feels like a "wasted" choice because it mainly is for QOL (not getting lost etc) and I usually find the more difficult combat situations to be underground, but I can see how it might be nice to avoid annoyances

I was willing to sympathize with the dev about trans persecution out of general principle, but when they turn it into fursecution as well is when I call them full of crap. If you lie with dogs (figuratively or literally), don't be surprised if you die with dogs.

How did a harmless-enough roguelike version of Gamma World devolve into this circus? What melted the dev's mind?

Trithne

Erudite
I was willing to sympathize with the dev about trans persecution out of general principle, but when they turn it into fursecution as well is when I call them full of crap. If you lie with dogs (figuratively or literally), don't be surprised if you die with dogs.

How did a harmless-enough roguelike version of Gamma World devolve into this circus? What melted the dev's mind?

Being Terminally Online. Which also melted half this thread too.

Being Terminally Online. Which also melted half this thread too.
Yyyyyyyyeah, that'll do it alright.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
From the sound of it, several of the devs were already LGBT and/or furries.

Both groups have cult-like mentalities where their entire lives and personalities revolve around their sexual kinks. Not surprising it'd make it into their game and PR.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What did you spend your youth on? Not furries or trannies, right?

Lycanthropes are furry and trannies. Because they "transform." Badum dum tisss.

What did you spend your youth on? Not furries or trannies, right?

Lycanthropes are furry and trannies. Because they "transform." Badum dum tisss.
I spent it on roguelikes and other retro PC games I didn't get to play when I was younger. :P

A (former) friend gifted me a Something Awful membership when the Boatmurdered Let's Play of Dwarf Fortress was in vogue.

Zeriel

Arcane

"I'm fine with the dev being mentally ill, but when they wear fursuits that's where IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE"

lmao, if anything furries are less deranged than trannies, at least furries know its fake

I do in fact have a (VERY precious few) trans friends in real life that have their spaghetti together when it comes to offline interactions. One of them even shares a fondness for SsethTzeentach videos with me.

Conversely the closest to a "mainstream" furry I know of are Stan Sakai (and I don't think he really counts, he's just sincerely channeling old-timey cartoons and comics) and the author of Albedo Elma Felna EDF.

On a good day I'm neutral/don't really care about furries. On a bad day I can't stand people choosing to die on the "fursecution" hill and also Krystal fans ruined the Star Fox fandom kthxbai.

Alex

Arcane

Really? I mean, at least furries are harming animals instead of children.

I think there is something to be said about this hobby's attraction to all kinds of weirdos. Today just like in the 80s, people will say that if you find a satanist or some weird dude that decides to kill himself in some steam tunnels, that those things have nothing to do with the hobby itself; and that the people who have these issues had them despite playing the game, not because. And they are right, of course. All the same, it is the case for whatever reason that there is a particularly worrying amount of people with some kind of issues in this hobby and that if it works to get them together, it may also further complicate them by exposing them to other sick people.

Gunnar

Arbiter
All this drama and the game isn't even that good, so who gives a shit?

All the procedurally generated content is trash, the combat is dull and way too easy, most monsters are samey, the few handcrafted quests are nearly all horrendous cryptic bullshit, the skill tree is boring and actually needless since I never felt like a skill made much difference to my ability to kill monsters. The GUI is awful with gibberish place and character names for everything and multiple areas within each map tile represented by a white triangle that you have to click to see what is in it. As a rifle user, I found the best one pretty early in the game and then never got a new rifle after that, which sucked. The devs idea of gameplay is "You see some ruins" or "theres a goatfolk village", repetitive garbage which represents 90% of the encounters on the game map.

the game is fun when you are collecting schematics and parts and building items that do cool things. I liked picking out new mutations every 4 levels. Leveling the mutations up is totally boring, since all it does is increase a simple % in most cases, but getting new ones felt like I was gaining significant new powers. Having said that, you can reach the end of fun things to do pretty fast and there's just no meat on this game to do much else.

After playing the game years ago, and playing it now, very little has changed in terms of things that matter or make the game more fun to play. They probably lucked into a decent early start and have no idea what the fuck to do with it now due to a lack of talent. The tranny/furry bullshit keeps people talking about the game I guess.

buffalo bill

Arcane
All this drama and the game isn't even that good, so who gives a shit?

All the procedurally generated content is trash, the combat is dull and way too easy, most monsters are samey, the few handcrafted quests are nearly all horrendous cryptic bullshit, the skill tree is boring and actually needless since I never felt like a skill made much difference to my ability to kill monsters. The GUI is awful with gibberish place and character names for everything and multiple areas within each map tile represented by a white triangle that you have to click to see what is in it. As a rifle user, I found the best one pretty early in the game and then never got a new rifle after that, which sucked. The devs idea of gameplay is "You see some ruins" or "theres a goatfolk village", repetitive garbage which represents 90% of the encounters on the game map.

the game is fun when you are collecting schematics and parts and building items that do cool things. I liked picking out new mutations every 4 levels. Leveling the mutations up is totally boring, since all it does is increase a simple % in most cases, but getting new ones felt like I was gaining significant new powers. Having said that, you can reach the end of fun things to do pretty fast and there's just no meat on this game to do much else.

After playing the game years ago, and playing it now, very little has changed in terms of things that matter or make the game more fun to play. They probably lucked into a decent early start and have no idea what the fuck to do with it now due to a lack of talent. The tranny/furry bullshit keeps people talking about the game I guess.
have you reached the end of the main questline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom