Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Falksi

Arcane
Last opportunity for the developers to correct the aesthetics so that Night City resembles its true self:

cyberpunk-2020-68999_8cd12_1024x1024.jpg
NightCityCover300dpi_large_23757370-1e4d-4c26-8ed7-d46cda5d0e3f_1024x1024.jpg

1-06da343109.jpg

166051.jpg

259970.jpg

Nooooo, more colour!!!

How the fuck does that above, become this?......

sSP5I9M.png

It's fucking bollocks all the excuses made for the aesthetics of this game. It's gonna be a steaming pile of bull spunk.

Last edited:

Curratum

Games like Rage 2 and FCry New Dawn are the reason 2077 looks like that. People somehow let that shit slide and gave it the ok, so now you can expect all your horrible future games to have more garish colors in them than a drag queen show on a Saturday night.

Terenty

Liturgist

sSP5I9M.png

It's fucking bollocks all the excuses made for the aesthetics of this game. It's gonna be a steaming pile of bull spunk.
Yep. Some fanboys tried to justify the rainbow colours of 2077 as a special feature of the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop and it was completely faithful to it in that regard. Bullshit.

The reveal trailer is what should have been their art direction

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Wtf just happened in the last few pages, suddenly talking about abortion out of nowhere?

Anyway i realize the difference between the art direction on the first teaser trailer and impending game release is quite staggering. Imo is a bad direction and decline.

Vatnik Wumao
Last opportunity for the developers to correct the aesthetics so that Night City resembles its true self:

Nooooo, more colour!!!

sSP5I9M.png

What they've done is much more dystopian in looks, so it is closer to the original 'spirit' of the cyberpunk genre (even if not that of capital 'C' Cyberpunk). And it works much better for the sort of cinematic experience that CDPR is going for due to both the variety of the environments & props and the 'realism' of such a setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terenty

Liturgist
They could l have reserved this clownish colour vomit for certain places and people, not smear it everywhere.

But something tells me either their engine or current gen hardware just can't handle the more realistic lightning needed to pull off the original teaser

Falksi

Arcane

cyberpunk-2020-68999_8cd12_1024x1024.jpg
NightCityCover300dpi_large_23757370-1e4d-4c26-8ed7-d46cda5d0e3f_1024x1024.jpg

1-06da343109.jpg

166051.jpg

259970.jpg

Nooooo, more colour!!!

sSP5I9M.png

What they've done is much more dystopian in looks, so it is closer to the original 'spirit' of the cyberpunk genre (even if not that of capital 'C' Cyberpunk). And it works much better for the sort of cinematic experience that CDPR is going for due to both the variety of the environments & props and the 'realism' of such a setting.

A very fair comment, but this is why it still irks me regardless.

See it's like someone telling me "Metallica's 90's albums rarely included guitar solo's because by that point in time music had evolved into a grunge experience, and the more one dimension vibe of 80's metal doesn't allow Metallica to step into the realism of 90's society. And grunge is also much closer to the original spirit of punk, which metal derives a lot of it's influences from"

I get that, I think it's a totally valid reason, but I also don't listen to Metallica to hear a wishy-washy version of what they are at their best, and the guitar as an afterthought. I listen to them to hear pumping metal tunes, with belting guitar solos throughout.

Same with this. It's all nice and reasonable that they've chosen this direction, but when I buy a cyberpunk game I want all that traditionally goes with that - Dark, moody, gritty, earthy, disconnection etc.

I'm half expecting CDPR's next project to be titled "Fantastic Fantasy", and then look like this........

OfjysY1.jpg

Sticking robotic limbs on

MartinK

Learned
Same with this. It's all nice and reasonable that they've chosen this direction, but when I buy a cyberpunk game I want all that traditionally goes with that - Dark, moody, gritty, earthy, disconnection etc.

And that is why cyberpunk is a dead genre. Try to change it in any way no matter how minor and a horde of fanboys will cry: "Not a true cyberpunk!"

Vatnik Wumao
Both styles can work quite well. I just think that the latter is much more harder to properly accomplish. Because you start with the crystallized design of the form and then have to create subsequent content to fill it with, you run the risk of turning it into a kitschy power fantasy riddled with uncritically pasted tropes which defeats the very purpose of the genre. Cyberpunk, through its 'high tech, low class' veneer, is ultimately supposed to act as a means of social commentary akin to similar works which fall within the conventional SF genre. The classic gloomy aesthetic can serve to reinforce themes of alienation, dehumanization and so on, but just slapping it onto an otherwise conventional action story doesn't make it cyberpunk.

It should go without saying that I am quite fond of the SRR series and I think that they've managed to have not only the classic cyberpunk gritty aesthetic, but also be cyberpunk in content ('spirit').

Terenty

Liturgist
For some reason i never paid attention to the dialogue options in the gameplay trailers. Now i did. Facepalm.

It's difficult to judge the whole game at this point, but it's literally Fallout 4 levels of "roleplaying". Most of the time you are presented with two(!!) options, not even 4, and they are almost the same thing paraphrased. Wtf?

And the voice acting is proper cringe. I could understand playing as JC in Deus Ex or Jensen in HR, but playing as some low life trying to sound cool because it's cyberpunk you need to sound cool is fucking garbage

I didn't paly Witcher 3 for long, but everybody seems to have enjoyed the writing there, wtf happened here?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Games like Rage 2 and FCry New Dawn are the reason 2077 looks like that. People somehow let that shit slide and gave it the ok, so now you can expect all your horrible future games to have more garish colors in them than a drag queen show on a Saturday night.
Saturday nights have nothing on Tuesday nights.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Both styles can work quite well. I just think that the latter is much more harder to properly accomplish. Because you start with the crystallized design of the form and then have to create subsequent content to fill it with, you run the risk of turning it into a kitschy power fantasy riddled with uncritically pasted tropes which defeats the very purpose of the genre. Cyberpunk, through its 'high tech, low class' veneer, is ultimately supposed to act as a means of social commentary akin to similar works which fall within the conventional SF genre. The classic gloomy aesthetic can serve to reinforce themes of alienation, dehumanization and so on, but just slapping it onto an otherwise conventional action story doesn't make it cyberpunk.
The reality can be much simpler, though

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. misunderstood in US

"Also, we've always created hardcore games, and the mass-market audience is now pretty much casual. Big companies always want you to make your game as easy as possible, so that any really non-intellectual person can play it. They want all sorts of tutorials to guide the player through, and this is something we've always been very resistant to.

"But then, everything, even up to the colour spectrum and how bright your game is, can be an issue. It seems that to appeal to North America you need really flashy, bright games, and you can see that every Eastern European game is very dark," added Yavorsky.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/stalker-misunderstood-in-us

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yeah but why do those aforementioned games look like that?

GewuerzKahn

Savant

Yeah but why do those aforementioned games look like that?
Yeah, why? First I thought it was the answer after so many serious browm/grey popamoles like Gears of War or Call of Duty. But I don't believe that anymore.
Maybe feminist art designer?
25345424-1.jpeg

Could be RL concept art for Rage 2 or the new Far Cry .

Machocruz

Arcane
Considering how Polish people dress, this art direction doesn't surprise me. I had a gorale show up on a date wearing mustard and turquoise

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom