Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't have expectations beyond "shooter with AAA budget and a Cyberpunk aesthetic"

Gerrard

Arcane
Remember those hackers that allegedly stole some documents from CDPR like 2 years ago? Still waiting.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Let's hope Larian makes Cyberpunk 2078 because they will give us the prestigious AAA turn-based CRPG we deserve!

Can't wait to have entire city on fire while my character die in acid and transform my enemy into a super zanny cyber-chicken every fight and have the amazing dialogue by them. After all , they made the BEST RPG OF THE DECADE.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck me, now that i've gotten a bit acquainted with Cyberpunk 2020 skills and perks (read a bit on the web) Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be nothing more than a Witcher 3 with guns.

Truly pathetic how they gutted the rpg system in favour of the "cinematic" experience

I was actually surprised a few weeks ago when I read that the developers call the game an action adventure game. It's a little sad that they themselves don't consider it an RPG anymore.
I've known this for years. Not so difficult to understand, Larian will always make a Larian game, and CDPR won't pour hundreds of millions into something that doesn't perfectly resemble and improve on their hugely successful formula.

a proper rpg game

RepHope

Savant
Yeah, CP2020 has like 10 dedicated social skills(interrogation, persuasion, streetwise, etc.) CP2077 has none as far as i know.

Wait there's no social skill at all? Nothing even like basic ass speech ?
Why don’t you go researching instead of relying on the retards in this thread who mere pages ago were asking where the whores were, because they forgot there’s an entire whore gang?

Yes there’s speech skills, or at least CDPR claimed there were. Stuff like “cool” and your intelligence/tech skills will open up dialogue choices last I checked.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Yes there’s speech skills, or at least CDPR claimed there were. Stuff like “cool” and your intelligence/tech skills will open up dialogue choices last I checked.
Dialogue options open up some flavour stuff not entierly dendent on stats (and never on skills, too bad) and "Cool" is still a combat-relevant skill which determines the composure of player character in CP2077 or shit like that.

Suprisingly accurate representation on game development for currentgen cantsoles.

Terenty

Liturgist
Yeah, CP2020 has like 10 dedicated social skills(interrogation, persuasion, streetwise, etc.) CP2077 has none as far as i know.

Wait there's no social skill at all? Nothing even like basic ass speech ?
This pic is all we've got
CyberPunk_CharacterPerks.png

As you can see even "cool" attribute(which in CP2020 has all kinds of social skills under it) has only battle related skills: assassination, nerve and sniper rifles.

Now, the devs did say that some attributes like body or tech will sometimes open some dialogue choices, but it kinda obvious where their priorities are.

Varnaan

Augur
Suprisingly accurate representation on game development for currentgen cantsoles.
Console dev in 2020 is pretty much just setting the PC version to fixed graphical settings if specific hardware configurations are detected with maybe a software switch if you want 4K 15 FPS vs 1080p30

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
but only short gameplay scenes of late
The marketing campaign for 2077 gives me the impression of a product that CDPR is very much not confident about.

We're now one two maybe three months from release and no actual raw gameplay footage has been presented, no major mechanics outside of pew-pew and that Remember Me gimmick have been showcased. There's been plenty of trailers telling us about the generic lore, the factions, the locales - but very little has been said about what the game is supposed to be and how it's going to play.

Is it an RPG? It is a GTA clone? Is it an immersive sim? Is it a combination of all three? Nobody really seems to know because CDPR are apparently so deathly afraid to show people the real game. The fact they're so worried about leaving a good first impression that they'd piss everyone off by delaying the game only tells me the product itself can only rely on the hype to make a buck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The other option is that they don't think the gameplay has mainstream appeal, so they are trying to hide it as much as possible to get those early copies sold. Which is weird tbh, what exactly can it be to not have mainstream appeal?

Codex Year of the Donut
By this period in Twitcha 3's lifecycle we already saw plenty of actual ingame footage. They released 35 minutes of gameplay footage nearly a year before the game actually released:

Has there been anything like this for cyberpunk?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I somehow have a feeling this game would be playable. And I mean playable by 'Dex standards. I've noticed I'm rarely wrong about these things (I predicted Kingmaker would also be playable), so who knows, CDPR might finally give us a good game.

It might be a total catastrophe too of course, there's obviously something up about the marketing and the fear of showing gameplay footage. What is clear is that the release won't be a bland experience, drama will abound.

Vatnik Wumao
I somehow have a feeling this game would be playable. And I mean playable by 'Dex standards. I've noticed I'm rarely wrong about these things (I predicted Kingmaker would also be playable), so who knows, CDPR might finally give us a good game.
Hopefully, but one should expect the worst when you have postponements like this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Hopefully, but one should expect the worst when you have postponements like this.
I'm tempted to whip out the famous quote "a delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is forever bad". I also suspect the delays are due to the pandemic. Entire teams working from home are bound to be slower and less efficient when the slave drivers aren't cracking the whip.

Vatnik Wumao
I'm tempted to whip out the famous quote "a delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is forever bad".
True, but given their reticence to show actual content and the accusations of crunch, how much could they improve on it in a few weeks? I'd honestly prefer if they'd prioritize content rather than solving bugs. The latter can be deal with post-release, but a barebones game would be shit no matter how polished.

Codex Year of the Donut
a delayed game is eventually good,
I'd be surprised if a single commercial video game that was worked on by a team of more than four people and wasn't delayed exists.

All the delays attributed to the coof were just convenient excuses to push back deadlines that they probably would have never hit anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom