Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao
If we reached a point where we're searching for arguments (for some reason which I don't get) to prove that the game belongs truly to the Cyperpunk genre then I'm sorry but this clearly points out that the game suffers from identity crisis.
The game is a faithful adaptation of the source material and the overwhelming majority of people do not doubt the cyberpunk genre credentials of either. A few grognards being contrarian on the 'dex doesn't amount to much.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
The game is a faithful adaptation of the source material and the overwhelming majority of people do not doubt the cyberpunk genre credentials of either. A few grognards being contrarian on the 'dex doesn't amount to much.

Ofc it doesn't but since when the overwhelming majority of people are right ? Plus, who cares about the overwhelming majority OR the rpg codex minority ?

Again, I get that you're hyped and that's fine with me but it won't change anything when you struggle to defend specific aspects of the game that (again WE WISH that they were there) are *not* (hopefully yet) there.

Vatnik Wumao
The 'punk' of the cyberpunk genre refers primarily to its narrative focus

I have a theory that this was never the case. In my opinion 'punk' is a visual denominator and linked to aesthetics. You have frostpunk, biopunk, steampunk, swordpunk, elfpunk, mythpunk, etc. -- ask yourself what they have in common. There aren't class struggles in many of those, central narrative theme is often survival or something else.
I'm pretty sure that all those other '-punk' genres came afterwards and their naming conventions mistook the cyberpunk nomenclature for one rooted solely in aesthetics rather than it being focused primarily on the narrative portrayed (i.e. socioeconomically 'punk', technologically 'cyber'). Cyberpunk doesn't have to be overtly class reductionist in its narrative, but the worldbuilding is a portrayal of unrestrained hypercapitalism and naturally the struggles faced by those individuals who fall within the underclass are a consequence of the socioeconomic environment within which they live.

Vatnik Wumao
The game is a faithful adaptation of the source material and the overwhelming majority of people do not doubt the cyberpunk genre credentials of either.

Ofc it doesn't but since when the overwhelming majority of people are right ?
What constitutes an artistic genre is socially defined. There are no factually right or wrong answers, only those which are legitimated through popular acknowledgement and those which are not.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You will never be inside a woman.

Neither will your brain.

Interesting, but the best movie director of all times is woman

Stanley Kubrick was a woman?

We need an "Interactive movie" subforum.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/forums/jrpg-weeaboo-discussion.60/

An Internet reactionary's vision of cyberpunk is basically Roy Batty-esque Aryan ubermenschen fighting it out on neon-slicked rooftops while uttering profound existential monologues, ignoring (and implicitly disapproving of) the degeneracy that must be rampant in the streets below.

Yes, that would be ideal.

AFAIK, you can't kill essential NPCs (which is also the dev reasoning behind not allowing you to drive in some areas) or children.

Uz7hNE6J_LMSBPE8BKSE_emH8kfAQ7IZywFm-g-GkYI.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
Stanley Kubrick was a woman?
He's one of those der untermenschen retarded enough to worship one particular failure of austrian artist and his goons, so he worships and idolizes everything from Nazi Germany, including film directors.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014

From Jack London’s 1906 story “The Unparalleled Invasion,” which painted China as a civilizational terror, to the postmodern Orientalist chaos of William S. Burroughs’s Naked Lunch, Western cyberpunk is best understood as a symptom of historic attitudes toward a sinister East. In James Joyce’s Ulysses, protagonist Leopold Bloom frets about the modern city as a shadowy, Oriental space while recognizing his own paranoia. Dr. Betsy Huang notes that in 1881, California Senator John Miller “described Chinese as ‘inhabitants of another planet… automatic engines of flesh and blood; they are patient, stolid, unemotional, [and] herd together like beasts.’”

Of course it’s all racist, when you get right down to it and look at those early inspirations. It’s just not always the conscious personal failing of any individual developer, especially within the context of the AAA game development system.

Understanding cyberpunk — its roots in xenophobia, postwar anxieties, that sweet window of cultural cross-pollination in the 1980s, and its entry into the mainstream — means recognizing it also has the capacity for range.

I asked if he believes that cyberpunk, as a genre, is inherently harmful because it relies on Asian stereotypes.

“I’ll just say yes,” he says. “There’s a big ‘but.’ I think what’s more harmful is the Trump administration’s attempt at fanning the flames of not just a trade war, but a kind of civilizational war with China. That’s the elephant in the room and Cyberpunk 2077 is like the bacteria on the back left hoof of the elephant.”

:nocountryforshitposters:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
An Internet reactionary's vision of cyberpunk is basically Roy Batty-esque Aryan ubermenschen fighting it out on neon-slicked rooftops while uttering profound existential monologues, ignoring (and implicitly disapproving of) the degeneracy that must be rampant in the streets below.

There's a spinoff film about that. So as much as you joke it does in fact exist. And its not very good. LOL

Vatnik Wumao
He's right insofar as the origins of the genre are concerned, but that last remark is retarded. Cyberpunk's orientalism was rooted in a Western narrative of Japanese exceptionalism which developed due to their admirable economic recovery postwar (preceding the Japanese asset price bubble of the late 80s) and their rapid technological advancements. There's no civilizational war to speak of, only the fetishization of Japanese work ethic as it manifests when integrated within Western (liberal capitalist) 'civilization'.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, Neuromancer was everything the US hated - multiculturalism, Asian corporations, drugs, free sexuality, technology beyond their understanding, etc.
1. This person only read the first chapter it doesn't just cover Japan they do go to other countries and even space. The Asian culture aspect really only applys to the first chapter.
2. Multi-culturalism in Neuromancer exists the way it does in the same way it did in Blade Runner, Most of the world had become uninhabitable and so you had cultures living in Japan that normally wouldn't live there. Gibson based it on his own experiences of travelling to Japan as a tourist. He has an unhealthy obsession with Hotels which made up most of the Chiba city portion of the book.
4. Drugs - its heavily implied that Case's drug addiction was an overall negative impact on his life as it lead to him losing Cyberspace and the death of Linda Lee. The general theme had more to do with rehabilitation and moving on from the loss of a loved one from drug abuse (though Linda was shot with a laser but it was her drug addiction that made her steal from Case that got her killed). Reminder also that Case loses his ability to consume drugs as a consequence of taking the job.
5. Free Sexuality This is only in Molly's case. Linda Lee was very much the settling type. Linda being the polar opposite of Molly but Molly being everything Case probably needed more - another broken person rather than him corrupting someone innocent. Molly is promiscuous and by the end of the story we learned she's not the settling type. Molly isn't someone you aspire to be nor is Case. The end of the story is Case being fully rehabilitated and now having a purpose to keep living.
6. Technology Beyond their understanding - no this is more being manipulated by people who are more powerful than you are the technology had little to do with it. The theme was more being taken advantage of and not being able to trust anyone.
7. Author has a missed opportunity of painting the Panther Moderns as paragons of social justice LOL

Also the film adaptation of Johnny Mneomic changed the story so that Johnny had the cure to the pandemic in his head and the Yakuza wanted to stop Johnny so they could keep the pandemic going.
So yeah I wouldn't rely on Gibson as a means of pushing an agenda if I were you because Gibson himself is hopeless at it and his writings were never really on point especially with regards to social and political commentaries.

-sorry forgot Linda was shot with a laser not stabbed. Its a central theme to Wintermute screwing with Case's memories.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
spoilers

If you try to take the JS chip from your head, you'll die
Regardless of your relationship with Johnny Silverhand, the chip will fulfill its function automatically and will eventually have Johnny take over your body
V is running against time to get the JS chip from their head
You are given the option to switch the Johnny Silverhand AI for another one that is based on you so you don't lose your own identiy late game
Judy is bisexual, but females are given more lines of dialogue early on
Some romantic partners can visit your apartment,and you can visit theirs
You can call your friends on the phone to do some day to day activities, much like GTA
Street kid ending varieties are quite nihilistic, although Corpo and Nomad are more bittersweet
Johnny will take over your body while you're having sex, happens when you're with Judy
Takemura, alongside Jackie, is one of the very few you can really trust
No romance is locked to a specific Lifepath, only to gender
V has suicidal tendencies duo to the prospect of losing their identity
Keanu Reeves exists in the game;his resemblance with Johnny Silverhand is mentioned
V can be raped and tortured
Game features child murder and kidnapping
Npcs will comment on your appearance, such as hair and eye colour
You can take photos with companions
Adam Smasher pursues you mid game
Judy and Stout have their own sidequests where they assist you in combat, Judy is inexperienced and asks guidance
V mentions their past a few times, player gets to decide the specifics according to the Lifepath
Both Saburo and Yorinobu offer you a solution to your loss of identity if you ally with them. If you're smart enough, you can create an AI of yourself and replace Johnny, as already mentioned
Companions have a hard on for betraying V, corpo path especifically
Judy is socially awkward, Stout is a bitch but warms up to you later

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
spoilers

If you try to take the JS chip from your head, you'll die
Regardless of your relationship with Johnny Silverhand, the chip will fulfill its function automatically and will eventually have Johnny take over your body
V is running against time to get the JS chip from their head
You are given the option to switch the Johnny Silverhand AI for another one that is based on you so you don't lose your own identiy late game
Judy is bisexual, but females are given more lines of dialogue early on
Some romantic partners can visit your apartment,and you can visit theirs
You can call your friends on the phone to do some day to day activities, much like GTA
Street kid ending varieties are quite nihilistic, although Corpo and Nomad are more bittersweet
Johnny will take over your body while you're having sex, happens when you're with Judy
Takemura, alongside Jackie, is one of the very few you can really trust
No romance is locked to a specific Lifepath, only to gender
V has suicidal tendencies duo to the prospect of losing their identity
Keanu Reeves exists in the game;his resemblance with Johnny Silverhand is mentioned
V can be raped and tortured
Game features child murder and kidnapping
Npcs will comment on your appearance, such as hair and eye colour
You can take photos with companions
Adam Smasher pursues you mid game
Judy and Stout have their own sidequests where they assist you in combat, Judy is inexperienced and asks guidance
V mentions their past a few times, player gets to decide the specifics according to the Lifepath
Both Saburo and Yorinobu offer you a solution to your loss of identity if you ally with them. If you're smart enough, you can create an AI of yourself and replace Johnny, as already mentioned
Companions have a hard on for betraying V, corpo path especifically
Judy is socially awkward, Stout is a bitch but warms up to you later

Writer overlap with Larian or something?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
but who wouldn't want to turn into john wick? is my question
You only ever turn into John Wick when something interesting happens.
So its like imagine your life when something good finally happens to you

"Wow I can't believe that girl agreed to go out on a date with me"
"Sorry bud I got this one" - Keanu
"GOD DAMN IT! GET OUT OF MY HEAD KEANU!"

I do approve of how they handled this. Its very Johnny Mnemonic and its obvious they intended it as a nod to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom