Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

cyberpunk-2077.jpg

Trithne

Erudite
Going to bump the difficulty up to VH when I get back to it next and hopefully it'll inject a bit of challenge back in. I've been fucking around just doing all the side gigs before going off to The Heist, and pretty much all the challenge is gone as I can pop skulls from a distance without raising any alarms.

Harthwain

Magister
The speculation/conspiracy theories resulting from how clunky the storyline is warranted so I don't blame anyone for speculating that the game was rebooted Rockstar/Destiny-style. Maybe I just don't relate to the whole 'die a legend' stuff but even as a tabletop player, I find it very odd that you're coughing up blood every five minutes in the MSQ where it's constantly reinforcing a sense of urgency and then you're off doing side quests that have nothing to do with anything.

Going that route, they should've just done a straight up linear story shooter. You can't have bullshit side quests with that kind of story looming overhead.
People wouldn't have liked being on a timer that can't be extended somehow. That's the only reason why the narrative tries to convey a sense of urgency, but the game itself isn't reinforcing it in any shape or form. And turning it into a linear story shooter would upset people who like open world games, which probably means a lot of people. So they went Skyrim style: you can do whatever you want, while the world awaits your input. Frankly, I ended up not touching the main storyline in Skyrim (after doing it one time), because I prefered the state of the world pre-resolution rather than the state of the world post-resolution in terms of how NPCs talked about it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's sad to see this game fail.

I am enjoying playing the game, yes, but it could have been so much more. It reeks from cut content, cut corners and just plain unfinished in terms of testing, fleshing out quests worlds, c&c.

CDPR straight up lied to people, and the game was delayed multiple times, and this is what we got? What the fuck happened?

No seriously, what the fuck happened internally at CDPR since 2019? Something awful must have gone down, because this is such a departure from what was iniially promised. They hung themselves on their own hype.

The backgrounds are especially fucked, since they don't really matter. and skill choices/checks are rare and not impactful.

I mean I don't even care about the open world aspects not working tbh, I just want a good core RPG, and even that is quite lackluster.

the on-rails story itself is kind of good, though, I admit. I am enjoying it, the dialogue is fine, music, presentation, its fun, and the side quests are also very fun most of them. I just feels very bare bones when you dig a few layers deeper, theres not much there to reveal.

What this game should have been, waas basically Red Dead Redemption 2 in content and scope, but in a much cooler sci-fi setting. It failed to deliver on that.

They should have given Rockstar the cp license instead, but the managed to fumble around and fuck it up.

Kind of like another studio that mishandled another franchise.

Perkel

Arcane
It's sad to see this game fail.

I am enjoying playing the game, yes, but it could have been so much more. It reeks from cut content, cut corners and just plain unfinished in terms of testing, fleshing out quests worlds, c&c. CDPR straight up lied to people, and the game was delayed multiple times, and this is what we got? What the fuck happened?

No seriously, what the fuck happened internally at CDPR since 2019? Something awful must have gone down, because this is such a departure from what was iniially promised. They hung themselves on their own hype.

The backgrounds are especially fucked, since they don't really matter. and skill choices/checks are rare and not impactful.I mean I don't even care about the open world aspects not working tbh, I just want a good core RPG, and even that is quite lackluster.

the on-rails story itself is kind of good, though, I admit. I am enjoying it, the dialogue is fine, music, presentation, its fun, and the side quests are also very fun most of them. I just feels very bare bones when you dig a few layers deeper, theres not much there to reveal.

What this game should have been, waas basically Red Dead Redemption 2 in content and scope, but in a much cooler sci-fi setting. It failed to deliver on that.
They should have given Rockstar the cp license instead, but the managed to fumble around and fuck it up.
Kind of like another studio that mishandled another franchise.

Why is it so hard for trolls to be realistic ? I mean at start it was at least believable as no one played enough game but at this point it is so obvious.

The speculation/conspiracy theories resulting from how clunky the storyline is warranted so I don't blame anyone for speculating that the game was rebooted Rockstar/Destiny-style.

It would do wonders for you argument if you would actually play game. At least you would sound believable.

Azarkon

Arcane
All jokes aside, this game sounds just like Witcher 3, but with a worse protagonist and less interesting world. I mean, did people really expect them to excel in areas like combat, open world design, and attribute checks, when the Witcher 3 didn't? Interactive AI, character customization down to the level of buying clothes, great vehicle mechanics? Like any of that existed in Witcher 3? When all's said and done, what made Witcher 3 successful was the writing, the characters, and the art - and half of that was from the novels, which obviously does not exist here. So I'm not at all surprised that the game's what it is - basically science fiction Witcher 3 minus the Sapkowski crutch they were using.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So after focusing a bunch on crafting and making myself a grad sniper rifle/anti material rifle, I'm mostly one or two -shot headshotting enemies way the fuck over my level (at max difficulty). Coupled with double jump leg implant I can just sit on some house or whatever and snipe high end militech troops. It even goes through walls/objects to some degree, in spite of being a power weapon (should ricochet). Makes the charge-up tech sniper totally obsolete imo.

Due enemy AI that's simple a cheat, as they can't walk away from their spot - in term of programmists use it.

This game really needs some serious optimization there.

I dunno. Have you forget that EAX thing I posted? Something wit compiler? Or that they used Intel compiler, so on AMD gc performance is worse on 10-20%? Or that some grafic cards use the same amount of gram as consoles?
I think we need to wait, when certain period of time will pass, and their agreement with hardware manufacturers ends - then they will allow perfomance to grow, fixing everything they broke intentionally.

Robber Baron

Savant
but with a worse protagonist and less interesting world.

While V may not be as charismatic as Geralt, V is also way easier to self-insert. As for the game world - I totally disagree(although that may be my sci-fi bias) - Night City just oozes character and is filled with all manner of details and in no way it is less interesting than Northern realms

KK1001

Arbiter
Yeah this game is just that - the Witcher 3. The writing and characters are, on the whole, a notch worse, but the immersion level is a LOT higher. Night City is gorgeous and full of detail.

People expect some serious life-sim shit from RPGs now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fuck happened?

This is exactly what happened. It wasn't out of malice or greed or anything some people here might say. CD Project bit way more they could chew in a genre they were not experienced in. Making a 3rd person hack and slash with huge open vistas is different from creating a complex city environment with lots of NPC, cars, in first person with gunplay and melee. And they wanted to have a more complex RPG systems than in the Witcher, with more ways to solve missions. And in 4K nextgen graphics. And money is not the issue here. They might have spent 300 million dollars on this game, if you don't have the experience and tech, you can't pull this off. Just look at how many years Rockstar needed to get to GTAV, and they had a lot of previous game where they could learn and improve their design. And when the hype train is rocking so hard, you believe that you can do it, and you want to do it. I think there was a point when they realised that the game is not going to be what they wanted, but at that point it was too late.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane

The backgrounds are especially fucked, since they don't really matter. and skill choices/checks are rare and not impactful.I mean I don't even care about the open world aspects not working tbh, I just want a good core RPG, and even that is quite lackluster.
I don't know how many times it was rebooted, but some key developers left in 2017. During this time there were rumors about it now being more cinematic and featuring only one character.

Basically, after that you may have guessed that anything they said until 2018 may not be in the game, including RPG.

Origin

Augur
I still don't understand how they managed to do amateurish job in every segment of the project. They are experienced studio.

Did they replace whole team with cheap juniors or what?

Also, not sure if I mentioned -

we're talking about the most expensive game in the universe.

KK1001

Arbiter
The game needed another 18 to 24 months to be the game it wanted to be (GTA driving, Yakuza side activities, improve RPG systems, meaningful loot).

They nailed the music, sound, production design, world-building; it's just they clearly did not have enough time to iterate on the other systems.

Origin

Augur
The game needed another 18 to 24 months to be the game it wanted to be (GTA driving, Yakuza side activities, improve RPG systems, meaningful loot).

I doubt it's possible without rewriting significant portion of the game.

The way textures are loaded on incoming objects, and cheap optimization hacks where objects disappear in front of your eyes are all duct tape solutions, made in sheer panic.

I mean, 20 year old games like GTA 3 do this better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't understand how they managed to do amateurish job in every segment of the project. They are experienced studio.

They were experienced in another type of games, not a modern shooter with more complex RPG mechanics than the Witcher games.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
annoys me that they didn't keep the alpha UI style. That character creation looks way better I like that all the icons are displayed rather than hidden behind a separate menu like we have now.
the fonts are a better choice for CP2020 and the colour is perfect for that as well. What we actually got looks worse than this.

cXmca8BdmRsZQvxpx8cUWa-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

First of all, we would like to start by apologizing to you for not showing the game on base last-gen consoles before it premiered and, in consequence, not allowing you to make a more informed decision about your purchase.

Oh, fuck off. You definitely know before launch if your game will be playable or not on consoles. If you decide not to show the game in order to trick consoles owners into buying an unplayable product, you don't get to wash away the criticism with a "oh yeah, we're sorry we did that".

Origin

Augur

They were experienced in another type of games, not a modern shooter with more complex RPG mechanics than the Witcher games.

The distances this guy takes in justifying unjustifiable...

They had more than enough funds to gather all necessary resources to prepare properly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

They had more than enough funds to gather all necessary resources to prepare properly.
OK. Then they did it in purpose to fuck people over. Happy now?

Origin

Augur

OK. Then they did it in purpose to fuck people over. Happy now?

No you naive dumbass, they accidentally, unknowingly released the game in such state.

KK1001

Arbiter
They did it because they knew they'd get more sales releasing it before Christmas and that the hit to their reputation or bottom line via refunds wasn't a powerful enough disincentive.

They are probably right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom