Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 Release Thread - Concerned For The Consoles

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Sam Ecorners, Dec 10, 2020.

1. KK1001 Arbiter

KK1001
    The game needed another 18 to 24 months to be the game it wanted to be (GTA driving, Yakuza side activities, improve RPG systems, meaningful loot).

They nailed the music, sound, production design, world-building; it's just they clearly did not have enough time to iterate on the other systems.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. Origin Augur

Origin
    I doubt it's possible without rewriting significant portion of the game.

The way textures are loaded on incoming objects, and cheap optimization hacks where objects disappear in front of your eyes are all duct tape solutions, made in sheer panic.

I mean, 20 year old games like GTA 3 do this better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They were experienced in another type of games, not a modern shooter with more complex RPG mechanics than the Witcher games.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    annoys me that they didn't keep the alpha UI style. That character creation looks way better I like that all the icons are displayed rather than hidden behind a separate menu like we have now.
    the fonts are a better choice for CP2020 and the colour is perfect for that as well. What we actually got looks worse than this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    • Agree x 15
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Oh, fuck off. You definitely know before launch if your game will be playable or not on consoles. If you decide not to show the game in order to trick consoles owners into buying an unplayable product, you don't get to wash away the criticism with a "oh yeah, we're sorry we did that".

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Origin Augur

Origin
    The distances this guy takes in justifying unjustifiable...

They had more than enough funds to gather all necessary resources to prepare properly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    OK. Then they did it in purpose to fuck people over. Happy now?

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Origin Augur

Origin
    No you naive dumbass, they accidentally, unknowingly released the game in such state.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. KK1001 Arbiter

KK1001
    They did it because they knew they'd get more sales releasing it before Christmas and that the hit to their reputation or bottom line via refunds wasn't a powerful enough disincentive.

They are probably right.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    look another retard. How te be troll:

"people say graphics look good"
    "people don't discuss story or side content"

Me troll thinks: Level of immersion is amazing but story is worse than in witcher3.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, the levelled loot is quite something. I've found a level 20 requirement sniper rifle at... level 2. On the other hand... might this mean hand-placed loot?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    yeah it uses both. There's some items in the game world that are level fixed but others are level scaled this is why I was able to use Judy's gun for most of the game lol to be fair its pretty good not every day you find a tech pistol just lying around at the start of the game.

^ Top  
  13. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Yeah most of iconic weapons (basically New Vegas style special versions of weapons) are euiter rewards from quests or handplaced they usually come with recipe for crafting which means that you can down the line craft better version of it.

World also is not scaled to player. You can find at lvl1 gonks with SC 400 if you go to worse part of the city or badlands that will anihilate you just by looking at you.

^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Did I say that? I asked you, did I say that you piece of shit. I fucking had enough of people giving words into my mouth and thinking that I'm the idiot here. Yes, they released it unfinished, and yes, they released it on purpose. But if you think the game is unfinished because they just wanted to create a mediocre game and call it a day, you are retarded. They probably had people on the team who were nowhere near as experienced as people in studios like Rockstar or Naughty Dog. They were inexperienced, they were incompetent and that is what they could cook up in this timeframe. They could have delayed it more, yes, but they became victim of their own marketing and hype. Releasing now was also a business decision. Don't bother replying, you are going on my ignore list, like everybody else who continously acts like an edgy Codex shitlord. And yes, I know I will get butthurt ratings.

• Friendly x 3
    • butthurt x 3
    • Merry Christmas! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Origin Augur

Origin
    Maybe you're not self-conscious enough.

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. Zer0wing Cipher

Zer0wing
    I feel like we should have better slower introduction to V, his buttbudies and fixers than cutscene montage, 1 gig for Wakako and 1 sudden gig for Dex. Right after that sudden attention from supposed smartest of the fixers (he was off'd from the story in an almost Tarantino comedic way, not very smart), the story unfolds in a rollercoaster fasion. Game should have saved its slower pace and have at least some introductory content, not thrown into these big events like now.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Thing is, this rifle was not iconic. Nothing special about it really... apart from the level and DPS rating. Definitely looked hand placed, was located on a high balcony where some sniper probably was perched at a time, that you could reach via an elevator. Although its possible that you can find a randomized sniper rifle there?

^ Top  
  18. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  19. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It seems clear that the beginning was supposed to be much longer, but instead of a dozen or so missions we got the same "gameplay cutscene" as in the trailer. Such a shame.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. msxyz Augur

msxyz
    I noticed that missions usually contain some hand placed loot (not all of it, money and junk is still random) that appears even if you reload an earlier save or play with another character. Never encountered such a disparity in levesl though. The max difference I found was +3 levels and that was a random weapon dropped by a gang member on the streets.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Black Arcane

Black
    Is there the Bladerunner pistol?

^ Top  
  22. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    Don't forget overly ambitious.

There is such a massive rift between what Cyberpunk does incredibly well (World design, graphics, and main-story writing) and what it does awfully (everything else). Playing the game is almost whip-lash inducing as you will frequently run up against something that is almost transcendentally brilliant, in the sense that you've never seen anything like it in another video game before, and then run smack dab into some awful, 2000s era, shovelware level shit 5 minutes later that isn't just bad, but shockingly bad. Games rarely both succeed as marvelously and fail as miserably as Cyberpunk 2077 does, so there has to be an interesting story behind this failure: stuff that was dramatically cut, studio in-fighting, compromises, and etc.

Everyone is rightly shitting on the AI, for example, but I highly, highly, doubt that this is what CDPR had planned. The AI is so colossally bad that I guarantee you that they had a more interesting AI system that was in some degree of completion in previous builds that they ended up having to cut at the last minute for some reason and quickly mock up this monstrosity just to ship the game. Why they did this, I don't know. It could be to make the game work on PS4, it could be because they alienated their staff, or it could just be that whatever they had planned wasn't working so they had to cut it. However, the game has such promise that I hope they are able dig out and finish some of the stuff they may have half-way implemented and cut.

Who knows, though? It's also possible that none of this shit ever went beyond the planning phase and there was some kind of radical mismanagement going on behind the scenes which resulted in a rift between the high-level game designers and the actual coders. We are still close enough to the game's release that the recriminations haven't started yet, but at some point people who worked on the game will start talking about what happened behind the scenes. It's happened with every massively anticipated game that's been a mess on release.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    The "Gameplay cutscene" is also what gave people the impression that they could do things like go dancing, etc.

I feel like Act 1 makes more sense if you assume that Dex always planned to do what he does, which there's several hints towards being the case.

Literally just one or two more missions with Jackie before the Dex job would make things feel less like you're on a Rollercoaster. Locking the Dex job behind a little bit of Street Cred would also ease the player in and push them into doing the Side Gigs, which are otherwise easily missed in all the noise. Maybe you could even take Jackie on them, and then I might actually miss him in Act 2.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. Origin Augur

Origin
    Tastes aside, graphics in this game is in no way done incredibly well.

Only great part of the graphics is the general art style.

Everything else about graphics is a hacked mess, covered with a layer of ray tracing to mask it.

There is nothing technologically advanced about CP 2077 engine.

Everybody can make game which looks nice while keeping still and falls apart as soon as you start moving, turn around etc.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Even the look of the city starts to crack once you look closer. Its obvious they had only a very limited amount of assets to work with, that's why there are vending machines EVERYWHERE, sometimes dozens of them, even when it makes zero sense. Same with the dildos and those waving cats and so on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.