Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah this game is just that - the Witcher 3. The writing and characters are, on the whole, a notch worse, but the immersion level is a LOT higher. Night City is gorgeous and full of detail.

People expect some serious life-sim shit from RPGs now.

look another retard. How te be troll:

"people say graphics look good"
"people don't discuss story or side content"

Me troll thinks: Level of immersion is amazing but story is worse than in witcher3.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, the levelled loot is quite something. I've found a level 20 requirement sniper rifle at... level 2. On the other hand... might this mean hand-placed loot?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Well, the levelled loot is quite something. I've found a level 20 requirement sniper rifle at... level 2. On the other hand... might this mean hand-placed loot?
yeah it uses both. There's some items in the game world that are level fixed but others are level scaled this is why I was able to use Judy's gun for most of the game lol to be fair its pretty good not every day you find a tech pistol just lying around at the start of the game.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah most of iconic weapons (basically New Vegas style special versions of weapons) are euiter rewards from quests or handplaced they usually come with recipe for crafting which means that you can down the line craft better version of it.

World also is not scaled to player. You can find at lvl1 gonks with SC 400 if you go to worse part of the city or badlands that will anihilate you just by looking at you.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't understand how they managed to do amateurish job in every segment of the project. They are experienced studio.

Did they replace whole team with cheap juniors or what?

Also, not sure if I mentioned -

we're talking about the most expensive game in the universe.
They were experienced in another type of games, not a modern shooter with more complex RPG mechanics than the Witcher games.

The distances this guy takes in justifying unjustifiable...

They had more than enough funds to gather all necessary resources to prepare properly.
OK. Then they did it in purpose to fuck people over. Happy now?

No you naive dumbass, they accidentally, unknowingly released the game in such state.
Did I say that? I asked you, did I say that you piece of shit. I fucking had enough of people giving words into my mouth and thinking that I'm the idiot here. Yes, they released it unfinished, and yes, they released it on purpose. But if you think the game is unfinished because they just wanted to create a mediocre game and call it a day, you are retarded. They probably had people on the team who were nowhere near as experienced as people in studios like Rockstar or Naughty Dog. They were inexperienced, they were incompetent and that is what they could cook up in this timeframe. They could have delayed it more, yes, but they became victim of their own marketing and hype. Releasing now was also a business decision. Don't bother replying, you are going on my ignore list, like everybody else who continously acts like an edgy Codex shitlord. And yes, I know I will get butthurt ratings.

Last edited:

Origin

Augur
I still don't understand how they managed to do amateurish job in every segment of the project. They are experienced studio.

Did they replace whole team with cheap juniors or what?

Also, not sure if I mentioned -

we're talking about the most expensive game in the universe.
They were experienced in another type of games, not a modern shooter with more complex RPG mechanics than the Witcher games.

The distances this guy takes in justifying unjustifiable...

They had more than enough funds to gather all necessary resources to prepare properly.
OK. Then they did it in purpose to fuck people over. Happy now?

No you naive dumbass, they accidentally, unknowingly released the game in such state.
Did I say that? I asked you, did I say that you piece of shit. I fucking had enough of people giving words into my mouth and acting like I'm the idiot here.

Maybe you're not self-conscious enough.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
A lot of content and possible ending variations are locked behind doing the "main" side quests, and even some random gigs have awesome stories in them and have impact on the main missions, so it's more like - you can play it in 10 or 70 hours.

Also while there are all these larger than life characters running around, the story is deeply personal - you know, a young lowlife with a gun being faced with mortality and all. Kinda hit me in the feels that.
I feel like we should have better slower introduction to V, his buttbudies and fixers than cutscene montage, 1 gig for Wakako and 1 sudden gig for Dex. Right after that sudden attention from supposed smartest of the fixers (he was off'd from the story in an almost Tarantino comedic way, not very smart), the story unfolds in a rollercoaster fasion. Game should have saved its slower pace and have at least some introductory content, not thrown into these big events like now.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah most of iconic weapons (basically New Vegas style special versions of weapons) are euiter rewards from quests or handplaced they usually come with recipe for crafting which means that you can down the line craft better version of it.

Thing is, this rifle was not iconic. Nothing special about it really... apart from the level and DPS rating. Definitely looked hand placed, was located on a high balcony where some sniper probably was perched at a time, that you could reach via an elevator. Although its possible that you can find a randomized sniper rifle there?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the game, doing almost all side quests and gigs too.
How long did it take? Did you speed through them or take your time?
Took my time, as I said I did almost everything. It took 4 days playing from morning to evening with few breaks, so around 40 hours. However, I did not wander pointlessly around the city much, went from mission to mission.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A lot of content and possible ending variations are locked behind doing the "main" side quests, and even some random gigs have awesome stories in them and have impact on the main missions, so it's more like - you can play it in 10 or 70 hours.

Also while there are all these larger than life characters running around, the story is deeply personal - you know, a young lowlife with a gun being faced with mortality and all. Kinda hit me in the feels that.
I feel like we should have better slower introduction to V, his buttbudies and fixers than cutscene montage, 1 gig for Wakako and 1 sudden gig for Dex. Right after that sudden attention from supposed smartest of the fixers (he was off'd from the story in an almost Tarantino comedic way, not very smart), the story unfolds in a rollercoaster fasion. Game should have saved its slower pace and have at least some introductory content, not thrown into these big events like now.
It seems clear that the beginning was supposed to be much longer, but instead of a dozen or so missions we got the same "gameplay cutscene" as in the trailer. Such a shame.

msxyz

Augur
Thing is, this rifle was not iconic. Nothing special about it really... apart from the level and DPS rating. Definitely looked hand placed, was located on a high balcony where some sniper probably was perched at a time, that you could reach via an elevator. Although its possible that you can find a randomized sniper rifle there?
I noticed that missions usually contain some hand placed loot (not all of it, money and junk is still random) that appears even if you reload an earlier save or play with another character. Never encountered such a disparity in levesl though. The max difference I found was +3 levels and that was a random weapon dropped by a gang member on the streets.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
They probably had people on the team who were nowhere near as experienced as people in studios like Rockstar or Naughty Dog. They were inexperienced, they were incompetent and that is what they could cook up in this timeframe.

Don't forget overly ambitious.

There is such a massive rift between what Cyberpunk does incredibly well (World design, graphics, and main-story writing) and what it does awfully (everything else). Playing the game is almost whip-lash inducing as you will frequently run up against something that is almost transcendentally brilliant, in the sense that you've never seen anything like it in another video game before, and then run smack dab into some awful, 2000s era, shovelware level shit 5 minutes later that isn't just bad, but shockingly bad. Games rarely both succeed as marvelously and fail as miserably as Cyberpunk 2077 does, so there has to be an interesting story behind this failure: stuff that was dramatically cut, studio in-fighting, compromises, and etc.

Everyone is rightly shitting on the AI, for example, but I highly, highly, doubt that this is what CDPR had planned. The AI is so colossally bad that I guarantee you that they had a more interesting AI system that was in some degree of completion in previous builds that they ended up having to cut at the last minute for some reason and quickly mock up this monstrosity just to ship the game. Why they did this, I don't know. It could be to make the game work on PS4, it could be because they alienated their staff, or it could just be that whatever they had planned wasn't working so they had to cut it. However, the game has such promise that I hope they are able dig out and finish some of the stuff they may have half-way implemented and cut.

Who knows, though? It's also possible that none of this shit ever went beyond the planning phase and there was some kind of radical mismanagement going on behind the scenes which resulted in a rift between the high-level game designers and the actual coders. We are still close enough to the game's release that the recriminations haven't started yet, but at some point people who worked on the game will start talking about what happened behind the scenes. It's happened with every massively anticipated game that's been a mess on release.

Trithne

Erudite

It seems clear that the beginning was supposed to be much longer, but instead of a dozen or so missions we got the same "gameplay cutscene" as in the trailer. Such a shame.

The "Gameplay cutscene" is also what gave people the impression that they could do things like go dancing, etc.

I feel like Act 1 makes more sense if you assume that Dex always planned to do what he does, which there's several hints towards being the case.

Literally just one or two more missions with Jackie before the Dex job would make things feel less like you're on a Rollercoaster. Locking the Dex job behind a little bit of Street Cred would also ease the player in and push them into doing the Side Gigs, which are otherwise easily missed in all the noise. Maybe you could even take Jackie on them, and then I might actually miss him in Act 2.

Origin

Augur
They probably had people on the team who were nowhere near as experienced as people in studios like Rockstar or Naughty Dog. They were inexperienced, they were incompetent and that is what they could cook up in this timeframe.

Don't forget overly ambitious.

There is such a massive rift between what Cyberpunk does incredibly well (World design, graphics, and main-story writing)

Tastes aside, graphics in this game is in no way done incredibly well.

Only great part of the graphics is the general art style.

Everything else about graphics is a hacked mess, covered with a layer of ray tracing to mask it.

There is nothing technologically advanced about CP 2077 engine.

Everybody can make game which looks nice while keeping still and falls apart as soon as you start moving, turn around etc.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Even the look of the city starts to crack once you look closer. Its obvious they had only a very limited amount of assets to work with, that's why there are vending machines EVERYWHERE, sometimes dozens of them, even when it makes zero sense. Same with the dildos and those waving cats and so on.

New official statement by CD Projekt CEO, guys!

-He reiterates his deep concern.

-Talks for first time about rpg systems and mechanics!

- And explain in detail what he think should be the next steps to fix every problem.

ywlSVuB.png

ChildInTime

Learned

The "Gameplay cutscene" is also what gave people the impression that they could do things like go dancing, etc.

I feel like Act 1 makes more sense if you assume that Dex always planned to do what he does, which there's several hints towards being the case.

Literally just one or two more missions with Jackie before the Dex job would make things feel less like you're on a Rollercoaster. Locking the Dex job behind a little bit of Street Cred would also ease the player in and push them into doing the Side Gigs, which are otherwise easily missed in all the noise. Maybe you could even take Jackie on them, and then I might actually miss him in Act 2.
Yeah, I suppose that cutscene was really meant to be played in full after lifepath prologues. What little time V spent with Jackie didn't stop me from feeling sad at his death, you can actually visit his funeral, talk to his mother, Misty is there as one of the central characters of the whole narrative etc, also
that scene on the roof in one of the endings, where you meet his construct while inside Mikoshi... him repeating those phrases from the beginning of the game, was pretty heartbreaking, female V voice actress really sells all those emotional scenes.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The introduction, lifepaths and everything else starting off feels very undercooked.

V just darts off right away. no pre-text really, you just get put into this world without knowing anything about it.

and then ur supposed to care about jackie, watch cutscene, wow u had a great time together, suddenly you meet the best fixers ever.

it's all kind of chaotic and messy, you don't feel the progressions at the start, you're just thrown into it head first.

The rags to riches story is great, but feels tacked on here.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
remember when they said during dialogue you can look at objects and things like that, which would give you additional dialogue choices and change conversations? the whole reason they made them from an fp perspective instead of third person like in witcher. it barely exists,
i think looking at johnny gave me additional lines a couple times but that's it. another feature that got cut or downgraded to a point where you barely can say it's in anymore.

Dexter

Arcane
The problem is disappearance, not sprites. They are supposed to be replaced with models as they get closer. But we wouldn't all be here if this game worked as it is supposed to be :smug:
https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/...o-lods-fix-for-disappearing-cars-when-distant

Apparently they just disappear instead. Billboards must be too advanced a technology.
Using moving sprites as replacement for traffic isn't common practice in Open world games whether they disappear or not - I can't think of one, has never been as far as I can think back. Static objects like bushes, trees or similar in older games where it's not immediately hilariously apparent that there's a .jpg moving around in the background, especially in older games yes, things like traffic not so much. I wonder if it's as obvious and jarring in Cyberjunk because everyone is turning off all the Filtering stuff like Motion Blur, Film Grain, Depth of Field, Chromatic Aberration and Lens Flare that were meant to somewhat mask such inconvenient details in the distance.

"Cyberjunk 2077 - The best elevator with three light sources rendering the world has ever seen!"

Fair enough. Have not seen any rain aside from a scripted mission. And yea I really would have expected water droplet physics to have been far higher priority for a cyberpunk game, I mean what did they spend eight years working on!? I better go make a 0/10 steam review on this issue.
The rain is really ugly, though. It looks like a flat, 2D, plane in the sky and parts of it fade in and out. It looks weird. I know I've seen the same exact effect in other games before, so it's weird that a game with so many bells and whistles has such bog-standard, ugly, rain.
I never actually noticed it is 2D looked great to me. Until someone posted that and i noticed there are no droplet shader. Obviously it waas not that high on their priority list
The rain looks like shit I was hoping for a "Blade Runner visual overhaul mod" with Rain, fog and constant night.
Not like this was important for the setting and aesthetic or anything...

"Dobry, put a filter on the screen, nobody notice."

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The introduction, lifepaths and everything else starting off feels very undercooked.

V just darts off right away. no pre-text really, you just get put into this world without knowing anything about it.

and then ur supposed to care about jackie, watch cutscene, wow u had a great time together, suddenly you meet the best fixers ever.

it's all kind of chaotic and messy, you don't feel the progressions at the start, you're just thrown into it head first.

The rags to riches story is great, but feels tacked on here.
I had the same feeling that the pre-heist part of the main quest is going too quickly, but you have to read a little bette than the common peasant. Jackie is overhyped about Dexter and is prone to overstating how famous a fixer he is. Dex is just putting on airs a lot, and that's calculated for effect on impressionable wannabes like V and Jackie. He tests the ground with you from the beginning by starting with the question that's essentially "so do you want to become a big name in this business?" and keeps working in that direction in order to manipulate you into doing dangerous stuff for little pay. It's kind of like the Vito and Joe story, except Joe dies early on. It's true they could have delved longer on this motive of the story, so that the contrast with the player's outlook post-heist would be sharper, and the feeling of V becoming a "grownup" overnight is better emphasized and impacts the player's mood as well.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
The executives also said the company found itself overwhelmed by efforts to make “Cyberpunk” playable on nine platforms at launch. It previously developed games for three platforms at a time.
We HaVe tO tHiNk oF tHe ShArEhOlDeRs aNd MaXiMiZe PrE-OrDeR PrOfItS.
It's also probably more of a pragmatic "We only have the Hype for release once and we know the game internally is a Shitshow, if we stagger out the release the Hype bubble will have already popped and we have to work and get Sales from the game as-is not as people hoped it would be in their imagination after all the Opinions, reviews and YouTube videos are out there."
You only get one shot at this at Launch and they managed 8million+ Pre-Orders and turning Profit Day1 based on Hype alone before anyone even knew what the game was like. You can do staggered releases with added platforms with highly praised titles with generally positive mainstream player Feedback like GTA or the Elder Scrolls. You will only get one chance with a title that you know is highly flawed.

89 metacritic score. Nice
Console versions seem to have enough reviews to have a Score now too:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/cyberpunk-2077
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/cyberpunk-2077

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom