Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Turjan

Arcane
It did make me wonder why I was dying about as fast as when I had all my armor on.
Did some testing with a sniper guy I found and I learned that the difference between 212 armor and 685 armor is a 20% reduction in damage. Not the most reliable study since the damage is probably randomized, wonder if someone did an actual mechanical analysis (fextralife says it's 40 armor per 1 less point of damage but that was clearly not the case with the sniper)

So I can wear whatever I want as armor value is mostly irrelevant?

No more looking like dumpster diving hobo!?

BALANCED.
It may be on a per shot base, as I have the feeling that armor helps more against SMG's, which have a low per bullet damage. Didn't really do any serious testing though.

kangaxx

Arbiter
And that is what this game is: it’s weird. It is a title of two halves. On one hand, it’s a phenomenally well-crafted story and a gorgeously realized world with combat that, while not deep, is still fun, but on the other, are gameplay choices that don’t add up to much and features that seem like they’re missing. Throw in the many bugs and crashes, and the reality is that the game isn’t done. I have zero doubts that car customization options will be added in later, as will more combat techniques. I fully believe the world will be further fleshed out, with more to do, and the bugs will eventually be squashed. Likewise, the police will likely be altered, as will the overall NPC AI. But I can’t review a game on what it might be later on, I have to review it on what it is now, and, in its current state, is an immensely fun experience but one that, at every turn, left me disappointed at what it could’ve been.

Many people will pick up Cyberpunk 2077 and have fun. Admittedly, I had a lot of fun. Even factoring in all my many complaints, it’s one of the most enjoyable experiences of the year, but a game can give you a first impression only once, and I recommend people wait until this title has been updated and completely revamped. In six to 12 months, it’ll be a different experience, and I think people owe it to themselves to play it once it finds its true potential. For if it can unlock that, then this could share a tier with The Witcher 3, but it’s going to take a lot of work for CDPR to get it there. Hopefully, they have it in them, because it deserves more.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
It may be on a per shot base, as I have the feeling that armor helps more against SMG's, which have a low per bullet damage.

That's my experience. Automatic small arms fire is not an issue, but a revolver or sniper in the same encounter will fuck you up.

mondblut

Arcane
People were wondering why there was nude option in char maker. From 2020 sourcebook.

jc73d2ohly561.png

Wow, they actually implemented something from the source RPG.

Yoomazir

Educated
So berserk implant is garbage? You lose all access to hacking, gives you 10sec of +10% to stuff, with massive cooldown, so most likely you use it once per fight. What a waste of time.

+10% to this and that, so happy this is where game design is at now...
It has one BIG benefit: when you activate it and swing a melee weapon it levels up your athletic real fast, and you don't need to hit a target for it

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hows the skyline in this game. It height used to an effect. Are there any quests that use height? Chasing someone on top of skyscrapers etc.? Man the possibilities that can be used in this game are pretty endless.
You have access to cyberware that pretty much allows you to go anywhere and Parkour alot and I managed to climb one of those huge buildings using the jumping cyberware and reach a target on the top of it, you can also navigate to reach good spots for some easy sniping, it was really fun that I only managed to achieve on the original Deus Ex. If the missions use verticality? They do, there are multiple access points including rooftops on most missions, however, so far, it wasnt anything that radical. Most side missions kinda follow a formula of an obvious access point and one or two alternate access points and, many main missions, unfortunately, are really scripted and kinda railroaded because of mah story bs . I would say, they have the means of making a good gameplay in there, the jumping aug is excellent and alot more useful than on the Nu-Deus Exs but they chosen the safe Ubisoft route instead of going balls to the walls on the mission design. It is a pity, I can imagine alot of fun missions doing parkour on all those buildings in there.

So far, the tech guns are a blast to use and the jumping aug is really fun, they are the main reasons I keep plaing the game and my storyfag side is curious about the story, what I really find boring is the mission design, they cleary gone for more quantity than quality here. After a while, you have the impression that most missions are a copy of each other.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
I wonder why the game even drops the resolution in action on consoles, the bottleneck is clearly on CPU side.

Nah this is clearly next gen looking game and consoles don't have enough juice. You are looking at 1,8TF and 1,2Tf machines worse than GTX960. CDPR will have to severely cut down texture res, volumetric lighting and other stuff to make it work smooth, same with distance view.
Fucking GTX 750 Ti 2gb runs the game at 27-30 fps at console-like settings and that one is 1,5TF at best with worse memory speed than base PS4. Paired with decent Intel cpu (i5 Sandy Bridge or better), the game is not having any problems with alley shootouts or streaming the assets during driving.

What console fucktards had to say about 750 Ti in 2014? That it's DoA and PS4 owns. Nope, not happening.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Our favourite transgirl Sophia narwitz reviewed the game. I must say I agree with a lot of the points she made.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/510135-cyberpunk-2077-full-review/

tl;dr

And that is what this game is: it’s weird. It is a title of two halves. On one hand, it’s a phenomenally well-crafted story and a gorgeously realized world with combat that, while not deep, is still fun, but on the other, are gameplay choices that don’t add up to much and features that seem like they’re missing. Throw in the many bugs and crashes, and the reality is that the game isn’t done. I have zero doubts that car customization options will be added in later, as will more combat techniques. I fully believe the world will be further fleshed out, with more to do, and the bugs will eventually be squashed. Likewise, the police will likely be altered, as will the overall NPC AI. But I can’t review a game on what it might be later on, I have to review it on what it is now, and, in its current state, is an immensely fun experience but one that, at every turn, left me disappointed at what it could’ve been.

Many people will pick up Cyberpunk 2077 and have fun. Admittedly, I had a lot of fun. Even factoring in all my many complaints, it’s one of the most enjoyable experiences of the year, but a game can give you a first impression only once, and I recommend people wait until this title has been updated and completely revamped. In six to 12 months, it’ll be a different experience, and I think people owe it to themselves to play it once it finds its true potential. For if it can unlock that, then this could share a tier with The Witcher 3, but it’s going to take a lot of work for CDPR to get it there. Hopefully, they have it in them, because it deserves more.

Epe0t9yXUAU4bTq

Good review, about the same in tenor as Yong Yea's and Strat-Edgy's, and I have pretty much the same general opinion. I think she's being a bit optimistic about them putting back stuff they left out. Maybe with expansions they will, but I doubt with the base game.

Derringer

Prophet
Where were the bestbuy and sony refunds for AC Unity, Mad Max, Batman Arkham Knight, Fallout 4 etc? And let's not forget the shitshow that was GTA5 on the PS3/X360...

The game's barely been out for a week. One week. You couldn't even reach the end of VTM Bloodlines until it got patched at a later date.

I really doubt this is about console gamers suddenly raising their standards.
It's soyny and microsoft allowing the refunds, they're probably doing it since they see CD Projekt as competition. Maybe it'd remind the company to stop taking bribes from other companies that want to fuck them in the ass if they have any control left in the company in the first place.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Our favourite transgirl Sophia narwitz reviewed the game. I must say I agree with a lot of the points she made.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/510135-cyberpunk-2077-full-review/

tl;dr

Epe0t9yXUAU4bTq

But will it be revamped? My fear is that they might just fix the best they can the bugs and console version, and pull the plug on the project

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Ergo Proxy is great if you want to watch a confusing ugly mess and try to figure out what the fuck you just watched.
Heh :D, anime is like professional boxing. As they say: "There are levels to this shit"

Try going through Texhnolyze It is another kind of mindfuck, but much more mature. Ergo Proxy is a lullaby for mental kids in comparison.

Zer0wing

Cipher
But will it be revamped? My fear is that they might just fix the best they can the bugs and console version, and pull the plug on the project
They still have to deliver promised DLCs and return some of the missing content.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hard to say, they have an online version in the works, however, with the failure of the game to live up to the hype and the lost of the "company that is pro gamers" reputation, the prospects of that being successful are alot worse than before. They could have an alternative of re-launching the game to garner some good will but it is queationable of how expensive that will be for them. The DLC on this game must be ALOT better than Witcher 3 ones as they are their chance to relaunch the game. They need a redemption narrative of "we fuck up guys, please forget we lied to you and kinda stolen your money on false promises but please we are good guys again." If they REALLY dont take the effort of rebuilding that hype, their online project (the real reason their stock was so expensive as investors were expecting huge microtransaction money on the future) can end up being a failure.

wyes gull

Savant
But yeah giving up hacking generally sucks, esp. for melee. Playing on hard I can't melee a group without disrupting them with hacks first.
I used to think so when I started using the whatever the fuck it's called that gives you 25% time slowdown for like 15 secs with a tiny cooldown. Essentially bullet-time. I was wrong. Turn it on, decapitate everyone in sight before they can fire a shot. Or if you're feeling sneaky, just turn it on and run past everyone before they manage to fill up their gotcha-meter, including cameras.

Hacking? Sure, with a sword.

bloodlover

Arcane
I finished the game last night on PC. It took me around 75h and after I finished I found out by reading online that I still missed some unique items. I spent around 12h derping around before I even started the prologue. Small spoilers below.

I played the game on PC and maybe I am one of those 1%/ lucky few/ blessed gamers that did not have major issues. Besides the floating objects and not being able to pick up items every time, the game was generally smooth. I fell through the floor once, Panam's quest was messed up right at the end because of her pathfinding and sometimes I had to reload a mission where I couldn't see the enemy even though the minimap showed that he was right there. Nothing that a reload can't fix; I tend to save fairly often though I understand that someone will be angry after losing 3h of gameplay.

I initially started a stealthy gunslinger but a third into the game I respecced to a kata wielding mofo. Diferent playstyles and I have to say that in the long run, my sneaky V was more fun to play. Overall the game was fun, more fun than most AAA titles these days but quite some distance behind Witcher 3. The side characters were quite good and the same can be said about their quests. Judy's quest in particular was very atmospheric and well made
the diving part not the sex part you pervs
. The world was very well crafted and I loved the small details whenever you got inside a building or the car interiors. Animations were excellent, I have not noticed any bad lipsync and even NPCs in idle mode do things like check their PC and run their fingers through their hair etc. It all feels very natural and fluid. Some of the missions that you get FROM THE DAMN PHONE THAT RINGS EVERY FIVE SECONDS are very cool, although more often than not, they just require you to steal/kill/kidnap someone.

Story wise it was interesting enough, a bit cliche in some areas and I thought while playing the game that this would make an awesome SF movie. However the narrative and the world sometimes feel like they were made with different thoughts in mind. Silverhand plays a huge part in the story (
and did in the world)
yet the world has somehow left him behind. I have a suspicion that the original idea for the story took a little turn when they got him on board.

Good story, great characters, good visuals, some very well made side missions. What's not to like? Well... Some things are.

I am sure that along the way barber shops, houses and all that stuff will come in way of DLCs. although I don't see the fun in painting my car pink with sparkly rainbow rims in a cyberpunk setting. Bugs will be fixed,optimization is on the way and whatever paid DLC will happen to drop, it will most likely be better than your average "expansions". But there are core issues with the game that I don't think can be fixed.

One of the things that bothered me to most was the way you get your gigs. I will make a direct comparison with TW3 here. Geralt goes into some random village, looks at the notice board where the bounty awaits (along with some other scribblings about local events) and takes the quest. He kills the monster, gets the reward everyone is happy. Or he gets into an inn and gets a quest from some fellow sitting on a table or the barmaid. Or maybe he finds something while strolling around the world or he's helping some guard with an issue. Whatever the case, it all feels natural and fluid. V gets her quest and her reward from a phone call. I know that the setting allows such a thing and it makes sense but from a gameplay perspective.... ehm. Sometimes you have to meet the person face to face but it's not more meaningful. Also, factions are pointless. They put out a trailer for them at some point and you expect to at least interact with them more if not join them, but nope. I spent so few moments with the Voodoo Boys that I barely remember anything about them. In an ideal scenario I'd be able to at least, at least do some quests for them and get a sweet unique reward at the end. Last but not least, lifepaths feel pointless. Besides a few dialogue checks, nothing much changes imo. It's obvious that nomads get dialogues with nomads and corpos with corpos but it should be more than that. These are three things that can't be changed. Sure, they can add activities or even more generic optional quests but the way quests and factions are presented is flawed to the core and it drags the game down so much. I won't even mention the looting and shooting since those are the least messed up things that I cared about while playing.

Decent game overall and maybe it will be glorious after a few years when the GOTY edition drops but compared their last game, CDPR dropped the ball hard.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hard to say, they have an online version in the works, however, with the failure of the game to live up to the hype and the lost of the "company that is pro gamers" reputation, the prospects of that being successful are alot worse than before. They could have an alternative of re-launching the game to garner some good will but it is queationable of how expensive that will be for them. The DLC on this game must be ALOT better than Witcher 3 ones as they are their chance to relaunch the game. They need a redemption narrative of "we fuck up guys, please forget we lied to you and kinda stolen your money on false promises but please we are good guys again." If they REALLY dont take the effort of rebuilding that hype, their online project (the real reason their stock was so expensive as investors were expecting huge microtransaction money on the future) can end up being a failure.

No Mans Sky has that redemption narrative, it now has this magical aura of success. If you actually look at the core game its identical to release, run around proc gen planets that all end up looking the same, and the same shitty storyline with hipster art school ending. All the stuff they have added is bells and whistles (and co-op of course because muh multiplayer) fundamentally the game and its core systems are the same.

No reason that CDPR cannot do the exact same thing, fix bugs, add lots of shinies and DLC and maybe tweak some systems here and there. My prediction is in a year or two Cyberpunk will be in the same place as NMS, media and normies crowing about how wonderful it is now and CDPR are such good guys for fixing it. This current shitstorm is just the classic dog-piling onto a car crash that we have seen time and time again eg Fallout 76, Anthem, Mass Effect etc. I give it a couple of months and people will get tired of the CP2077 memes and then CDPR can quietly get on with fixing stuff.

Obviously this requires them to actually put in the effort to fix the game, but this IP is clearly very important for the future of CDPR so I see no reason they would not.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
People were wondering why there was nude option in char maker. From 2020 sourcebook.

jc73d2ohly561.png

Wow, they actually implemented something from the source RPG.
CDPR stole the backstory for Cyberpunk 2077 from the Cyberpunk 2013 Welcome to Night City sourcebook, but they couldn't be bothered to implement anything from the RPG ruleset. :M

What exactly are people liking in this game?

Muh elevator screenshots.
There are two well-designed aspects of Cyberpunk 2077:
  1. Night City as an exterior environment, equivalent to the overworld in a fantasy CRPG
  2. Lots of clothes and armor for playing dress-up with your PC
If you just want to muck around the setting to find cool vistas while making a fashion statement, Cyberpunk 2077 good for what it is.

Which is not an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom