Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 Release Thread - Concerned For The Consoles

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Sam Ecorners, Dec 10, 2020.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Finished the game as a Nomad, tried all endings.

First, and foremost, the game is absolutely gorgeous, it's insane how much detail there's on the characters, the interior of cars, the design of side-quest set pieces, etc...

But, behind all the hype and AAA production values, the gameplay itself it VERY mediocre. Shooting is okay, but the game lacks enemy and gun variety. Feels worse than Fallout 4. The missions try to be Deux Ex but there's no multiple paths tied to skills, it's basically "kill everyone" or "sneak around". Your l33t hacking skills and cyberware don't open new paths, just help you sneak or shoot everyone. A lot of ideas in the game feel like they were abandoned mid-way, like the non-lethal combat... as far as I'm aware, there's ZERO benefits in killing enemies instead of stunning them, and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?), so I'm not even sure why that exists.

Role-playing options are also very limited: you have all important choices always open, and the only real choices that have consequences are "did you do these side-missions paths until the end? Y/N". Stat-check are mostly just for flavour & extra dialog lines and MAYBE (like 3 times) to kill a character mid-dialog. It's a step back from every Witcher game, and those had a fixed character. I don't understand why your blank slate V has even less role-playing options than Geralt has, you are always everyone's bitch being ordered around and agreeing with everyone except Johnny.

The character system and crafting system are garbage, made even worse by the HORRIBLE level scaled loot. It was already dull in The Witcher 3, but it's made way worse here by the fact that you are playing a blank slate character in a cyberpunk world, someone that should be able to become anything... but I feel stuck in an endless cycle of +5% damage upgrades, and non-sense like "you can't be undetected underwater" perks. OH WOW, there's exactly zero missions where that might have been useful.

I spent the whole game trying to specialize in snipers & revolvers, that I crafted and upgraded until I had a legendary revolver with 550 DPS. It never felt rewarding or interesting. Then the game drops two blunt weapons, one a bat doing 1,100 DPS, the other a shovel doing insane 1,500 DPS. Killed Smasher in 30 sec by bashing him in the face with a broken shovel. And what to say about a game shipping with a mysterious 6th stat that can't be unlocked, teasing a DLC right on the stats menu?

The story was meh. The first-person camera and the insane production budget make it feel like you are playing a fancy Netflix series, and it has some cool moments (like the Arasaka ending) but also a lot of dumb shit (like why the fuck Arasaka even needs you). Behind the fancy presentation, it never feels as good as ANY Witcher game. I don't mean just "OMG, Bloody baron quest!!!", but it never delivers the depth of stuff like being bros with Iorweth in W2 or the witch hunt in W1. Casting Keanu Reeves was CD Projekt's best decision, his charisma salvages Johnny into something bearable, as he's very poorly written and entirely one-note. He's just an asshole, his backstory and beliefs make no sense and both his endings are terrible. Hanging out with Panan & her bros was probably the best part of the game, the other characters are all forgettable.

Overall, it's a AAA visual spectacle that has mediocre gameplay and uses extremely poor RPG mechanics just to provide superficial levels of customization. I legit think it would be a better game without the level & perk system, just having non-scaling loot and cyberwear instead of perks.

It's not a flawed gem, because it doesn't do anything interesting or well besides its visuals. Take a game like Kingdom Come: it's flawed, but there's interesting things to talk about its combat, quest design, "peasant simulator" world, etc... there there's nothing that other games haven't done before & better. It's a fucking gorgeous game, but what will that mean in 5 or 10 years? It might be saved by mods or years of new content & fixes but, right now, it's a mostly a visual experience and some closure to years of hype.

• Brofist x 17
    • Agree x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Yeah, watched scene with Meredith and it is anything but exciting. If I ever play this game, I'll keep my pureness to myself.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. T.Ashpool Educated

T.Ashpool
    20 years from now, future soyboys who didn't experience the false marketing pre release hype will discover this game and overrate it to hell because it's style and presentation. it will achieve vtmb: bloodlines or new vegas cult status.
    and i will look down on them and smile.

• Funny x 4
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. T.Ashpool Educated

T.Ashpool
    [​IMG]

• No x 6
    • retadred x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Cars launching into the air and disappearing in the horizon.
    I watched people fall through the floor never to be seen again.
    All those moments will be lost in time.
    Like tears in rain.
    Time to die.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 21
    • Despair x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Ok, my crafting experience:

I got on a vendor machine that sells beverages at 10 dollars.

I scrap all those beverages.

I get alot of cyber juice.

I use the cyber orange juice and turn it into sniper rifles.

I get to a vendor and sell 50 sniper rifles.

Got infinite money and can farm crafting experience alot faster.

Soon, I will have more profit from arms sales than Militech.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    They now need to voice act 2 characters? :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zer0wing Cipher

Zer0wing
    Except the game is released just in time to close the year 2020 and not any month earlier so shareholders could reap those dollarinos faster. Investors did this to us, not toxic snoy fanbase who are just lowly acolytes of the prestige polishness of Playstation Exclusives (which stopped being real just when snoy console become able to download patches thru the net). They don't change shit and only act as a falseflag for snoy to stop the refund by eliminating the store page. Because snoy hates refunds, they are this greedy and arrogant.
    Buuuut, the precedent for this happened because of CDPRs managers who are in friends with Marcin and Adam. Pathetic sweatshop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
  10. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    There were no "death threats" sent to anyone.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I just played a couple hours. I was in a big downtown section this time and one thing I noticed a LOT was light culling, not seeing lighting effects until you got really close to them like shop windows and neon signs lighting up the ground. And yeah, when I saw low-res signs and stuff it seemed to be just out of culling range, and zooming in would make them pop in. So... they culled down detail ranges somehow for consoles and left that shit in for PC, which is ridiculous. It doesn't even help performance at all, I assume because we're at a much higher baseline.

I have the space so I'm gonna install 1.04 and take some comparison shots with the lights I think, either that or prove myself insane.

P.S. NO FATTIES

[​IMG]

• Funny x 9
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. vota DC Liturgist

vota DC
    Mistery solved, finally!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVPPy5w9NA

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Near the entrance to one of the cyberpsycho missions' "arena" area, I found a mod that "makes bullets non-lethal" (magic?), but it only works on the weapon you put that mod on.

Same impression so far. Apparently it won't change until the end.

Apart from the jump into linearity towards the end, what's flawed? It was a great game with good balance between open world shit and missions, and a lot of emergent gameplay possibilities. Unlike anything Vavra had done yet.

^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You are right. A little after I wrote that post, I started up the game and went to see Regina Jones in her base. When I exited the elevator and turned the corner right, into her room, I saw her black friend there just as he was materializing out of thin air, the same way that cars do. Then there was a very easy to notice moment when I took one step towards Regina and suddenly big stacks of white smoke became visible through the big glass wall behind her back. They were not there until I took that step towards her. From then on I could walk around the place, turn around, but the smoke wouldn't be culled, it was staying there.

Yep, looks like they are just optimizing for PS4 and pushing the same code for all platforms atm. Probably they are working with minimal staff around the holidays, who knows. Anything to slow the torrent of PS4 refunds I guess :lol: I feel sorry for the devs butchering their own work.

Something interesting I came accross in Forbes that throws light and is related to one investor's question from the conference call, which was in the spirit of "couldn't you release just for PC and next gen":

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...efunds-for-ps4-and-ps5-after-gamers-cry-foul/
    So the logic is "it should work without a hitch on PS4 and look even better on PS4 Pro", and "It will run like shit on PS4 but will be playable on PS4 Pro" is not acceptable in any situation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll

The best part of this is the idea that "a bit" more time would be needed, not an entire year, minimum, to get some of the core features online.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll

There's like, an ocular mod that makes all of your attacks nonlethal, even the suicide hack. Not sure why an optics mod makes someone else putting an inch hole through their cranium non-lethal.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    I decided to play without cyberware at all (currently lvl 20). It's just so OP, and I'm already so OP that I'm too lazy to go and install it. At first I lacked the money, but now that I have the money I can't be bothered to go to the ripperdoc. So I never knew about this mod's existance.

^ Top  
  19. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    Steam denied my refund. I'm not going to play it until they patch out my issues.

• incline x 4
    • Despair x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Welp never mind, even though GOG said the offline installers last night were still 1.03 it installed at 1.05 so I guess I'm stuck with this downgraded version for now. Lame.

EDIT: Okay you can revert to 1.04 in the Galaxy config menu, so I won't be able to do direct comparisons but hopefully I can at least see if I'm crazy or not by walking the same areas I just did earlier.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. RRRrrr Arcane

RRRrrr
    Any idea if it will go on sale this year? Do new releases go on sales so early?

• No No x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bara Magister

Bara
    That all at least sounds more memorable than anything I've played in the game as of yet sadly. Like its okay but I feel like in just going through the motions rather than getting invested in any plot.

^ Top  
  24. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    One thing that bugs me a bit about the game is one that many games with a story have when they allow you to do lots of other stuff in between. For example, I did this whole Nomad quest line a long time ago (40 hours?), with basically ending up in a relationship with Panam - or so I got the impression. She sent one sequence of texts afterwards, and since then, she's like eaten by the ground. You can't call her, she's silent, and I don't see her anywhere in the Nomad camp, either. There are no calls coming anymore, anyway, except if you start one of the missions. Most NCPD calls seem to have gone with the patch (it's kind of jarring now, because the star is only visible for a short moment, and then all hints at the random quest are gone).

Anyway, what I meant is that if you take a break from the story, you also take a break from any relationships you may have thought you built. It's weird. You just have Johnny, who makes a rare appearance.

I'll call it a day for today. I shouldn't try any vehicle pursuits when I'm tired. Some of the accidents were... interesting, to say the least.

^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    probably was cut due to graphical pop-in.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.