Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Quillon

Arcane
JkD5igM.jpg

This city needs a monorail or some public transport shit running above streets to make it look more busy/different. Its beautiful but it lacks that technological edge to be truly cyberpunk-y but I'm not an expert :P

Or AV traffic above streets.

Turjan

Arcane
This city needs a monorail or some public transport shit running above streets to make it look more busy/different. Its beautiful but it lacks that technological edge to be truly cyberpunk-y but I'm not an expert :P
It's got a monorail. You can watch the monorail cars run through town. It's just fancy dressing though.

Quillon

Arcane
It's got a monorail. You can watch the monorail cars run through town. It's just fancy dressing though.

Where is it?

Generic-Giant-Spider

The one thing that I hope we can all agree on with braindances is at least it's implemented in a logical, coherent way that makes sense with the world and not given to you as some sort of fucking superpower that your guy was apparently gifted with since birth and never thinks about mentioning.

Turjan

Arcane

Where is it?
Downtown, Japantown and in at least one of the industrial districts.

I had posted this image before. There aren't any of the monorail cars on the pic, but you can see the track.
ePvcpCN.jpg

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station

The AV thing is weird because I've not once noticed it while actually on street level - either taking off or setting down or flying about, but as soon as you take in a view across the city during a quest line they're buzzing about everywhere as you'd have thought would be so from the Corpo start. Even to the extent of making a clear point that there's AV vehicles to see out of the window or whatever. Game constantly does shit like that though with how it does its scenes - there's parts where it's clearly desperate to show how good the city can look as a backdrop, and then follows it up by telling you how good it looks.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hmmm, just did the conversation with the Australian guy who runs Clouds (great VO!). On the previous couple of occasions I'd muddled through by various means, but strikingly, with this character, having gone the intimidation route, an option came up via a "Street Kid" choice to mention the death of that Tyger Claw serial killer BD maker guy (Jigoro Shoto or something like that), and the option came up for me to say "Yeah, that was me." It was gratifying to see him showing fear and then doing the drinks cabinet chat.

Now that's the sort of thing one wants to see more of. I understand it's going to be hard having that degree of linkage through multiple possibilities when you're dealing with VOs, but it's very much the sort of "alive" responsiveness of the game to one's actions that one wants to see in RPG dialogues.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane

The AV thing is weird because I've not once noticed it while actually on street level - either taking off or setting down or flying about, but as soon as you take in a view across the city during a quest line they're buzzing about everywhere as you'd have thought would be so from the Corpo start. Even to the extent of making a clear point that there's AV vehicles to see out of the window or whatever. Game constantly does shit like that though with how it does its scenes - there's parts where it's clearly desperate to show how good the city can look as a backdrop, and then follows it up by telling you how good it looks.
On both pics I posted, you can see flying vehicles. Some of them fly very low and are easily seen while you drive around town. What's true is that they never land. The Trauma Team vehicles that you see sometimes on the ground never take off, they just despawn after a while.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
On both pics I posted, you can see flying vehicles. Some of them fly very low and are easily seen while you drive around town. What's true is that they never land. The Trauma Team vehicles that you see sometimes on the ground never take off, they just despawn after a while.

Will look more carefully. On a quest which ends with the NPCs getting into an AV, I did jump on top of it to have a look what was going on and there wasn't anything up there. But then I wouldn't bet against it being on similar thing to traffic at street level where I get long periods without seeing another car as they despawn ahead of me (which you can see for a frame or two).

Turjan

Arcane
It's funny how much effort they put into building that metro system, here for example in Heywood.
SesGrNb.jpg

It would be nice to see how far they got with building the stations.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Alright so I went back to 1.04 on GOG and compared the same save area with 1.05. There is not a difference in when lights fade in, that was a placebo. However A) there is absolutely a large change to the film style effects (grain, aberration, etc). They are reduced in intensity and the game looks much sharper when they're on. And B) there were definitely changes to the texture loading, though what changes those are I dunno. I played a couple hours on 1.04 without seeing any of the issues I saw in 1.05 of billboards not being fully loaded, geometry loading in close, etc. Then I went back to 1.05 and that was all there again. To me it seems like "streaming" optimizations that caused a downgrade in reliability, as it's very random when and where it occurs. The streets were also much less wet and shiny where I was at once I re-patched to 1.05, but that could just be the game not holding an exact save state, I dunno.

On the plus side driving is ten times smoother with less loading stutter, which I guess is a positive related to said texture/asset streaming changes. Also I bet most people prefer the toned down film effects anyway (and if you dismissed them before, try them again, they're very subtle now). All in all I prefer the look of 1.04 and the pop-in is annoying, but I decided to stick with 1.05 as it's not worth replaying ~5ish hours of content and missing out on possible bug fixes and DLC.

Sorry for the too detailed report no one gives a shit about.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Also Gibson did retweet the post of the user who is encouraged to create a petition to rename "Cyberpunk" in "Neonliberal»

Seek it yourself, I can't navigate that hellhole of a twatter.

It should not come as any surprise given he is personal friends with Bono. Its funny someone who is all for social justice being friends with a spokesperson for a company that was so merciless that the people working for it jumped off of buildings because death was more preferable. But hey keep waving that social justice flag you two! Gibson criticising CDPRs ethics is just funny Gibson has no ethics he proved that when he wrote a book about 9/11 to cash in on the tragedy. For someone so opposed to capitalism he has certainly benefited a lot from it. Also the irony as well that he also licensed his works to Amazon for TV.

Learned
The game obviously has tons of cut content for the sake of an early release and you have this annoying sidekick who constantly bickers and questions your actions. High tech setting or not, the crafting system which lets you break items down to universal "crafting materials" doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The leveling system encourages the player to specialize which is always a plus but the perks are unbalanced. Okay, that's enough about The Sith Lords. Let's move on to Cyberpunk 2077.

As I'm nearing my second complete run I'm still having an absolute blast with this open world sandbox action butwhatisanrpg. It clicked with me but it's not a game I would unhesitatingly recommend to anyone. There's room for improvement for ALL systems which can be a whole achievement in itself.

I'm not familiar with the tabletop but for a video gamey video game released for consoles in 2020 the attribute system is passable, as it's straightforward enough for newbies and you cannot max everything which should be the norm but it stands out as a pro considering the state of the AAA's. The mysterious DLC tease stat sucks shit though. As far as perks and item upgrades go, some perks obviously have the wrong icons. There's no clear indication of how some perks work together. What's the armor cap? Do item mods or perks stack linearly or is there a cap for crit damage, crit rating, etc. Is the character screen accurate? Who knows? And to be perfectly honest, who cares with the weak and inconsistent enemy AI? There are so many non-lethal weapons or weapon mods handy. This completely trivializes missions that have "no kill" objectives and the targets you're supposed to kill are considered dead in assassination missions anyway. Why the fuck are all blunt melee weapons up to and including hammers and tomahawks non-lethal?

Forced first person, while much likely a result of absent third person animations, may seem like too restrictive but to me it makes the game immensely satisfying. In fact I've been accustoming myself to drive in first person too and getting slightly better at it.

The story met my expectations, except the disconnect between the "main story" V and the random gigs V is too obvious sometimes. The writing is good. I took my sweet time to discover little bits of content. Didn't care for the underused BD sequences. Now, if it were possible to analyze previous missions the player partook in with BD for missed stuff it would be a lot more interesting but I guess the technology isn't there yet.

The leveled loot and the crafting system are both absolutely unneeded. They could easily balance the loot around items without tier lists but I guess the looter shooter crowd love their epics and legendaries. Imagine how much cleaner everything would be if there were still "iconic" weapon mods to look out for but not item tiers. If loot won't be tuned in the following updates or user mods, at the very least low level items should be upgraded to YOUR level immediately via the upgrade interface instead of leveling them up one by one.

More later.

Trithne

Erudite
It's funny how much effort they put into building that metro system, here for example in Heywood.
SesGrNb.jpg

It would be nice to see how far they got with building the stations.

Can I get that map in game so I don't go blind from all the (CDProject)RED?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shame about the cut arm cyberware mod functionalities. Locked behind Street Cred 20 (not that its difficult to reach, but still), impressive, exclusive and cool.
But relegated to (sub-par) weapons, rather then providing planned unique benefits (wall running, remote hacking, ripping doors and turrets).

Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of cyberware, do the legendary variants have unique looks? Thinking of the gorilla arms in particular since they basically replace the look of your whole hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom