Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
The MaxTAC and trauma team are cool, but literally unused and u never see them in action again in any shape or form that matters... wtf

Ackshualy, there's a side job that has you interacting with MaxTAC briefly. In fact, you get to meet the chick from the very first trailer of the game.

And then, just as you think to yourself, "okay game, you have my attention", the job ends.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So, after all is said and done, it turns out that making a game that has (almost) the same gameplay loop and player agency (however much there is) and everything else that you find in a Bethesda title is actually, you know, quite difficult. Not just some peasant job. Seems like there won't be any Bethesda killer anytime soon. Technically it's more bugged than any Beth game and Underworld Ascendant. Yeah, let that sink in. And it came from a AAAish studio.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
m9tlv1t1qk661.jpg

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
So, after all is said and done, it turns out that making a game that has (almost) the same gameplay loop and player agency (however much there is) and everything else that you find in a Bethesda title is actually, you know, quite difficult. Not just some peasant job.

Well, maybe if you have a solid direction from the start, have some realistic internal deadline and don't fucking reboot it 5 times in 4 fucking years, maybe it could be possible to do relatively easy

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Keanu Reeves wood acting is super obvious in the beginning of the game but I gotta say, he seems to "warm" up in the later parts.

Keanu is Keanu. We love him precisely because he's a bit wooden (not exactly bad, but always just a bit wooden). There's something charming about that combined with his puppy dog earnestness and peculiar handsomeness.

It works very well in this too. After all he's pretty much lived a rockstar life, with adulation, loads of drugs, etc., so his Johnny comes across quite authentic in that way - as well as having a touch of that Spinal Tap rock pretentiousness.

He definitely works in the game; it's just that one would have preferred all that money to have been spent on making the game better and maybe just had a smaller, cheaper Keanu cameo somewhere. I don't think anybody expected any more on seeing his appearance at E3. And for a fact he does a hell of lot of work in this if you think about it, probably as much as he would have done in a full-on movie - but probably more than the game really needed.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, after all is said and done, it turns out that making a game that has (almost) the same gameplay loop and player agency (however much there is) and everything else that you find in a Bethesda title is actually, you know, quite difficult. Not just some peasant job. Seems like there won't be any Bethesda killer anytime soon. Technically it's more bugged than any Beth game and Underworld Ascendant. Yeah, let that sink in. And it came from a AAAish studio.

I've always found it jolly peculiar when people criticize Bethesda's game engine. To me it seems quite an incredible feat to create open worlds in the way they do, to have it all work pretty well and have it be moddable. The downside of Bethesda games for me is that the "clutter" becomes unbearably samey after a while. This game has a lot more varied clutter, but a lot of it is fixed and visual - which is actually fine, so long as interactables are well marked, which they are (the markers are not too obtrusive, but you can instantly spot them).

If only they were easily pick-up-able :)

And re. the bugginess. I doubt it's actually that buggy in percentage terms. IOW, far more is going right in the game than is going wrong, and probably more than many games at this level, at release. I've been playing for about 40 hours or so, and I only saw my first floating NPC today, and I haven't seen a single T-Pose in the game yet; the worse visual bug was superimposed bodies in the car, but that was a one off in the Panam quest.

The game is buggy in absolute terms, but that's only because the amount of detail in the game is hugemungous. And yet it's still not enough, in some ways. When you create a fantasy world, or a mediaeval village, because nobody today has seen those things, it's easy to bodge it and make something that kinda-sorta looks like how we vaguely imagine it. But when you're simulating a city, it's so familiar to us that, paradoxically, the more verisimilitude you pack in, the more you want to see (analogous to the uncanny valley effect).

Perkel

Arcane
So started this time as street kid. Got mohawk and for some fucking reason i found white shirt and gun harness and shades like in first 30minutes.

Also noticed that with body i got to one of clubs early with body 10. All other ways to get in were "no access or keykard required"

This time i am taking my time exploring of foot city and i already have found 2 stashed implant mods and one implant. Moreover those blue ones are not the only ones. There are a lot of unmarked places which have gonks but don't have blue checkmark or anything and you can actually get from environment what was going on or read in shards. So like 2 scavs taking apart dude in back alley.

Yippee-ki-yay

unknown.png

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
If you watch this video from august 2018, at 8:30 you can clearly hear that the game was originally set 1 year after Johny Silverhands death, where he was still part of the ''childhood'' hero system and was mostly background lore.

No wonder the game feels like a complete mess in terms of story pacing,characters and nonexistent choices, the morons changed the entire story in the last 2 years when they aproached that talentless hack Keanu.

orcinator

Liturgist
If you watch this video from august 2018 you can clearly hear that the game was originally set 1 year after Johny Silverhands death, where he was still part of the ''childhood'' hero system and was mostly background lore.

No wonder the game feels like a complete mess in terms of story pacing,characters and nonexistent choices, the morons changed the entire story in the last 2 years when they aproached that talentless hack Keanu.

We can blame it all on Keanu, but you'd think at some point during development the devs could have managed to make some quests that ween't braindead, I doubt such things got reworked alongside the Keanu Chungus includion. (The "quest that's nteresting in a gameplay way" count still remains at a solid 1 when I reached "the point of no return" and lost the will to play)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know who to laugh at first - the video's author, the kids who think they won the Internet by abusing crafting in a single player game, or CDPR's pathetic forum staff who seems to be losing it at a rate faster than someone who invested his life savings in CDPR stock:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I strongly disagree, you get a good sense of life in NC, particularly gang life, from all that flavour text - there are some quite sad little stories there.

There are some well written texts and shit with decent ideas, and some of them are in unique locations. Overall though, in a game this huge with this many things to do and a level cap, I think I'd stick to the more worthwhile content. I'm such a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting whore that I might 100% this dumb game, but for the average dude looking for an open world Deus Ex experience and then moving on? I'd stick to the yellow icons, for sure.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Also this game was in the oven since 2011 according to this video.

Almost 9 fucking years for 15 hours of main quest, tedious side quests and Keanu delivering the most bland and flat lines that would make Kristen Stewart envious. This has to be a prank from the big guy upstair, i see no other explanation for this monumental fuckup.:negative:

Xeon

Augur
I like Johnny so far, Keanu been pretty great, kinda of an asshole so its fun seeing him bitch about everything.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the game seems cut to pieces like 6month-1 year ago, from all the things that was announced and shown, but cut.

they frontloaded everything in the first hour of so of gameplay.

The maelstrom mission with different outcomes, u never see that type of mission ever again.

The MaxTAC and trauma team are cool, but literally unused and u never see them in action again in any shape or form that matters... wtf

its funny because outer worlds was a medicore game, but still heaps ahead of CP 2077 in terms of replayability and C&C, but the rest was bad. CP 2077 has alot more going for it, but doesnt have the C&C and replayability that outer worlds had.

u just can't win, can you?

Outworlds is absolutely mind numbing boring written by a bunch of autists and starbucks tier hipsters whom think gen z speech makes them cooool. Lets not go over this argument anyway. The world building and the story telling in this game is leagues above anything obsidian put out in the last decade.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't know who to laugh at first - the video's author, the kids who think they won the Internet by abusing crafting in a single player game, or CDPR's pathetic forum staff who seems to be losing it at a rate faster than someone who invested his life savings in CDPR stock:

Lmao, isn't this the same issue that Skyrim had at launch? It was called memory leak or something. The more you played the game the bigger the save file became, increasing the possibility of getting the file corrupted. I think it's the same shit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
the game seems cut to pieces like 6month-1 year ago, from all the things that was announced and shown, but cut.

they frontloaded everything in the first hour of so of gameplay.

The maelstrom mission with different outcomes, u never see that type of mission ever again.

its funny because outer worlds was a medicore game, but still heaps ahead of CP 2077 in terms of replayability and C&C, but the rest was bad. CP 2077 has alot more going for it, but doesnt have the C&C and replayability that outer worlds had.

u just can't win, can you?

Outworlds is absolutely mind numbing boring written by a bunch of autists and starbucks tier hipsters whom think gen z speech makes them cooool. Lets not go over this argument anyway. The world building and the story telling in this game is leagues above anything obsidian put out in the last decade.

Not that I'm disputing anything you said, but the worldbuilding comes straight out of the tabletop RPG for the most part.

Druid Ardun

Wish I could break Goro vision of Arasaka and turn him into a rebel too. But sadly no option for that, you have a conversation where you start shaking his worldview but you never return to that
When is this conversation? When you scout the Arasaka compound?
Yep
he talks about his childhood in Japan, how he was raised in basically an open sewer. Start talking about his career, but you have the option to say that the world still in deep shit due to the corps, you notice he relunctanly say that you can't fix everything in one day
That's one of the worst things of the game, it think it can do cyberpunk and be apathic about everything because "it's not a political game".

It's not just that I wish that I could make everyone into anarchists or communists and burn down Night City, you can't embrace the system and turn into a corpo either. There should be an ending about joining Arasaka. FFS, it's cyberpunk, you could put Johnny into the Arasaka dude's body and let him destroy the system from inside, or become Arasaka and rule forever.

But nope, the cyberPUNK game says that you shouldn't have ANY ideology or dreams, just go lay low in the country side or whatever. That's why both Johnny endings are ridiculous, in both he goes "why was I a rebel? Oh, it's because I'm a huge fucking poser, I should just have enjoyed life". It's the most cowardly writing/directing ever, a rebel written by people who hate rebels.

The whole fucking game I hoped to bomb the Night City again, just to get Johnny become what? The very thing he hated, mindless fucker who only cares about his life.

And oh, how much I wish you could converse with characters and influence them (Takemura).

Whole story feels like they cut it in the middle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom