Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Keshik

Arcane
Also, creepy sheit.

Show Spoiler

Wannabe major killer cyberpsycho to the rigth.
Connection to Sandra/Peralez quest?
I think that's the best part of the game, really interesting. Main quest is boring shit.
You know who recommended V to the Peralez couple? Judy.....

cyberpunk2077screenshcnjgr.png

cyberpunk2077screenshi1juo.png

Yeah she tells you that when you call her, I guess they just forgot to have Judy call you to sync that, up.

Was screwing around and came across a mission to deal with a cyberpsycho in a clothing store (must have gotten a phone call about this and just missed it in the ocean of calls I get. MAXTAC cop offered me to join them, sort of had disappointment I couldn't.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wait, you can knock out random NPSs and bring them to your flat, and not all of them disappear afterwards? Can you strip them?
9CSUNuN.gif

What do you think this is, a Bethesda game?

Cyberpunk 2077 is a game so revolutionary, it made parts of the Codex wax fondly over the likes of Oblivion, Skyrim and FO4.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also, creepy sheit.

Show Spoiler

Wannabe major killer cyberpsycho to the right
Connection to Sandra/Peralez quest?
I think that's the best part of the game, really interesting. Main quest is boring shit.
You know who recommended V to the Peralez couple? Judy.....

cyberpunk2077screenshcnjgr.png

cyberpunk2077screenshi1juo.png

This one was an interesting side quest. If you roam around Peralez apartment you find some weird things like a security jacket hanging on the chair, a magazine on the couch showing some weapons, and the piano keeps playing some music all the time (which could be this mm hmm hmm sound) So my guess is they are the ones who did it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Wait, you can knock out random NPSs and bring them to your flat, and not all of them disappear afterwards? Can you strip them?
9CSUNuN.gif

What do you think this is, a Bethesda game?

Cyberpunk 2077 is a game so revolutionary, it made parts of the Codex wax fondly over the likes of Oblivion, Skyrim and FO4.

Yea, fuck... I'm questioning my life choices and I don't know what to believe anymore.

Or maybe its just this shitty end of year time that makes me feel depressed.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Deus Ex is a fun game and Cyberpunk is an ubisoftcore borefest.

If you think Deus Ex is fun then you hate video games, because that game has seriously bad gameplay.

I don't know whether you're trolling or not, but I do actually partly agree. It all seems rosy in hindsight, but at the time, having lived through System Shock and System Shock 2, Deus Ex seemed rather contrived by comparison, with respect to the fact that the different paths were much more rigidly and obviously laid out, so the virtual world had a contrived, plasticky feeling to it that SS and SS2 never had, even though their worlds were pretty contrived too - just somehow they'd managed to disguise it better, whereas Deus Ex put its gamey-game side on its sleeve ("here's the stealth path, here's the straight assault path, here's the techie path" - I cant even remember now what the options were, but you know what I mean). IOW, it was less a question of discovering your path than choosing from a selection. And that felt like decline tbh. To be charitable, it was probably a function of the fact that they were trying to depict a much bigger world, so to avoid the player getting hopelessly lost, they had to flag everything with honking great pointers.

In fact, relatively speaking System Shock remains unmatched, both in terms of advanced graphics for its time and in terms of its immersive, real-seeming virtual world at the time. SS2, though graphically snazzier, was a slight decline, and Deux Ex, graphically the dog's bollocks at the time, felt like a further slight decline and streamlining, although of course at the same time one recognized it as an amazing achievement (and no need to even speak of Invisible War, that and Thief Deadly Shadows - brrrr, those dire days that brought the first trickle of what eventually became the rivers of console slurry we have in our PC games now).

However, to balance that, one has to recognize that some of the multitude of toys in SS were levers that didn't do anything. But that's the same with all the old classics (e.g. the first Fallouts). The point is that the intention was there to simulate a world.

To me, all games are simulations that fail to be full simulations at various levels, as a result of technological limitations, but because we grew up with some particular contrived "gameplay" and loved it at the time, we tend to think of that "gameplay" as the right and proper form of "gameplay". But if games were proper simulations, there would be no need for gameplay, the adventure, the choices and consequences, would be totally transparent, and would follow the rules of real life (plus magic or s-f or whatever).

This is the perennial complaint of normies when they encounter games for the first time, they're misled by the graphics into thinking the game is a simulation, then they're annoyed when they find out that really it's a Potemkin simulation with something called "gameplay" that they have to get used to, that's only a vague abstraction of the rules of normal life. It's just that nerds got used to the contrivance when they were young, learned to "speak the lingo," so they love it and have a sentimental attachment to various older stages of this thing called "gameplay."

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

If you think Deus Ex is fun then you hate video games, because that game has seriously bad gameplay.
I really can't understand how there is people that find Deus ex's gameplay actually interesting. At first, you have to wait the cursor for 10 seconds on the ennemy till you get enough accuracy to shoot at him each time you want to kill one, then the feedback of the shot sucks, Ennemy's AI sucks as well(running like an idiot isn't a good response when ennemy has low health). Afterwards, you still get to wait seconds till the cursor actually gets accurate each time you want to shoot at an ennemy. Also, guns look like nerf toys.
Melee's combat sucks even more.
Before you get the sword, you have to crouch then you have to be pasted to an ennemy to paralyze him and kill him.
And even if you get the sword, the gameplay still sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I really can't understand how there is people that find Deus ex's gameplay actually interesting. At first, you have to wait the cursor for 10 seconds on the ennemy till you get enough accuracy to shoot at him each time you want to kill one, then the feedback of the shot sucks

Valid. I already removed it for my game. The stats are nothing more than tool gating when really they should be about tuning and expanding on the tools usefulness for different situations.

Ennemy's AI sucks as well(running like an idiot isn't a good response when ennemy has low health).

Valid however you don't want it to work like cyberpunk where the AI just keeps healing over and over either. I'm still trying to think of a system that would be a major improvement.

Melee's combat sucks even more.
Before you get the sword, you have to crouch then you have to be pasted to an ennemy to paralyze him and kill him.
And even if you get the sword, the gameplay still sucks.

Bolded is completely wrong lol. Crouch is only needed if you're trying to be stealthy otherwise you can just run up to them and bonk them on the head if you're fast enough and there's no consequence stealth wise for doing that I think you're playing too carefully but if you're a newcomer to Deus Ex this would be how you played and then yeah I can agree it has a bad impression because its a bit too slow a mechanic and bypassing is superior anyway. The melee frontal attacks certainly is lacking and could be improved. There is absolutely no incentive in the game to fight front on which I think is a huge weakness. You don't notice it once you get the DT as the damage output is the same regardless of if you flanked or not.

I mean these are valid criticisms but Deus Ex is still a fantastic game because its mechanics all fit together in a way that works well. The problem with Deus Ex is the unrealised potential as a result of a rushed release and that mechanics weren't completely developed enough where they could have depth and complexity (hacking for example). Its still better than most modern AAA titles because it is still a very complex game for what it is.

Danikas

Arcane
Remember that minor gig with that cop chick in the tutorial zone? You can find this later on if you tell her who hired you there is also a radio broadcast about this.

4ocpfi20mr761.png

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly, the 50-year technological stasis is hilarious and never really adequately explained, unless it's an ending thing. I'm not going to finish this game in its current state, I'm just not going to put myself through that.

1969 - Man lands on the moon
2020 - We can barely make it into earth orbit

1954 - First nuclear power plant on the grid
2022 - Germany decomissions all nuclear power plants to replace them with coal power plants

Yeah, going back to politics for a bit, devolution is a fact. e.g. materials science has been stagnant for decades, apparently, and probably most of us here are aware of the "replication crisis" in the softer sciences (psychology, sociology, etc.). I don't think this was at all inevitable, but that's another story ...

Just an additional note to your comment, the replication crisis is not only about „soft siences“, but also medicine, which is one of the most affected disciplines. For every study, you will get at least another one stating the exact opposite, and both will claim they are representative and statistically sound. You can throw pretty much anything that starts with „study finds link between...“ in the garbage.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Remember that minor gig with that cop chick in the tutorial zone? You can find this later on if you tell her who hired you there is also a radio broadcast about this.

4ocpfi20mr761.png

What a coincidence lol, I just came across him myself about half an hour ago, and was about to mention it as a nice wee touch :)

just

Liturgist
out of these 100 random ass gigs why not continue anna story if you let her live. like break into few cops apartments and steal evidence or some stupid shit.
it's not like they would have to invent some special game mechanics to do this shit

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I am sure this has been said many times already but I cant help repeating it.

The car buying system is a FUCKING DISGRACE!! Not only is it an incredible pain in the ass to find the pics to match up with car prices, the map is cluttered with more goddamn ! symbols, like we really need more of that shit on the map.

There should be a 'car guy' or shop somewhere you go to buy ALL the cars. Who ever thought the current system was a good idea is a complete freaking moron.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
out of these 100 random ass gigs why not continue anna story if you let her live. like break into few cops apartments and steal evidence or some stupid shit.
it's not like they would have to invent some special game mechanics to do this shit

One of the virtues of the storytelling-by-shard-drop-on-body-or-in-case is that you can have lots of interweaving micro-stories because you don't need the voice acting.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: that's one reason why the cop quests are actually a proper part of the game and shouldn't be artificially skipped (ofc if you're just following your nose that's fine). There's actually a lot of decent writing on those shards, small tragedies, tales of betrayal, etc. - even one that makes you feel like a heel because you realize you've just killed a bunch of gangoons holding a sweet little birthday party for their choom :(

The problem that you feel like Robocop for doing the cop quests is another problem - clearly the game should have made some accommodation for the gangster's path - but that way of telling stories is as good in this as it's always been in immersive sims, and it doesn't require expensive voice-acting.

Danikas

Arcane
One of the virtues of the storytelling-by-shard-drop-on-body-or-in-case is that you can have lots of interweaving micro-stories because you don't need the voice acting.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: that's one reason why the cop quests are actually a proper part of the game and shouldn't be artificially skipped (ofc if you're just following your nose that's fine). There's actually a lot of decent writing on those shards, small tragedies, tales of betrayal, etc. - even one that makes you feel like a heel because you realize you've just killed a bunch of gangoons holding a sweet little birthday party for their choom :(

The problem that you feel like Robocop for doing the cop quests is another problem - clearly the game should have made some accommodation for the gangster's path - but that way of telling stories is as good in this as it's always been in immersive sims, and it doesn't require expensive voice-acting.
Many of those cop quests have some connection to the gigs that are nearby, like you can find the veteran (killed by tyger claws) that got interviewed by the media guy that you have to save in one of the gigs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Although I've been a bit more positive than most about the game, I have to say my patience was sorely tested by the amount of mystery meat my character had to plow through in the way of romances.

It's extra annoying because they are actually charming characters for the most part - if they were just woke cardboard cutouts like you get in most movies these days, I could hate with a good conscience. But dammit, Panam, Judy and River are quite nice follks :P

Truly, Poland is evidently about a decade or so behind Western Europe and the US in terms of wokeness, because these "nice individuals" are what we in the West used to have forced on us by Hollywood in the 80s and 90s.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
This isn't about "woke cardboard cutouts" or "forced feeding by hollywood".

This is about you living in London and thus being shocked by not everyone being a prick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom