Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This isn't about "woke cardboard cutouts" or "forced feeding by hollywood".

This is about you living in London and thus being shocked by not everyone being a prick.

Ah, my sweet summer child :)

Did you know that London is now majority non-White (i.e. non-British)?

Having played the game almost 80 hours, completed three of the endings and most of the side gigs, I have to say that this is a damn fine game. It's a damn shame it couldn't have been released earlier because of the peasants. The writing is great and I like how the game doesn't punish you for not taking the non-lethal approach (as opposed to nu-Deus Ex), and I honestly don't get the hate the game is getting (mostly from peasants with unrealistic expectations). When it was first announced, I was promised a game based on the Cyberpunk games from Talsorian Games (i.e., proper Cyberpunk, unadulterated with magical shit), and I ended up getting that and so much more, in a state that wasn't much buggier than Witcher 3 or Skyrim at the time of their release. Most of the disappointment expressed about this game has been from people that expected this game to have properties or do things that they themselves did not understand.

My only gripe with this game is that the Peralezes' quest ends too soon (although in the right note), and that you find trasmitters apparently related to it in places that you never go to during that quest (e.g., the nuthouse you do an extraction on during a side gig), hinting at cut content.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am sure this has been said many times already but I cant help repeating it.

The car buying system is a FUCKING DISGRACE!! Not only is it an incredible pain in the ass to find the pics to match up with car prices, the map is cluttered with more goddamn ! symbols, like we really need more of that shit on the map.

There should be a 'car guy' or shop somewhere you go to buy ALL the cars. Who ever thought the current system was a good idea is a complete freaking moron.

The city is incredible, super detailed, etc, but it's probably the only place on the planet where every citizen buy cars via SMS. There is not a single car shop in this fucking city. It's incredible.

Probably another system built just to ship the game the fastest way possible.

Naraya

Arcane
Having played the game almost 80 hours, completed three of the endings and most of the side gigs, I have to say that this is a damn fine game.
Of course it is, just don't listen to the haters. Personally I realised that my happiness from playing a particular $GAME tends to drop 50% after reading the $GAME's subreddit, and further 90% after reading the $GAME's Codex thread.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

So this is how it works? You make a game with fancy graphic 5 linear but well written quests then you fill the map with gigs ((clear the bandit camp style)) ship it with a crappy perk system and a loot system ala borderland and you have a damn fine game?...

Wow....low standardt much?

typical user

Arbiter
One of the virtues of the storytelling-by-shard-drop-on-body-or-in-case is that you can have lots of interweaving micro-stories because you don't need the voice acting.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: that's one reason why the cop quests are actually a proper part of the game and shouldn't be artificially skipped (ofc if you're just following your nose that's fine). There's actually a lot of decent writing on those shards, small tragedies, tales of betrayal, etc. - even one that makes you feel like a heel because you realize you've just killed a bunch of gangoons holding a sweet little birthday party for their choom :(

The problem that you feel like Robocop for doing the cop quests is another problem - clearly the game should have made some accommodation for the gangster's path - but that way of telling stories is as good in this as it's always been in immersive sims, and it doesn't require expensive voice-acting.

There is merit in what you have said but people buy games to play them. If I wanted to read novels I would go to a bookstore. There is just too much of those shards left in the game for players to pick-up. I would rather like if there were handful of those shards and some of them hidden in computers which the player needs to interact in some way to progress a quest. For example in Fallout 2 you find only handful of holodisks and some have passwords written on them to bypass security or give you hints on what you might find in a location. In Cyberpunk 2077 you get shards almost everywhere and very often do not affect gameplay in anyway. After picking up 20 of those describing things which are shown on TV ads, radio broadcasts and none of those helping me with exploration I've stopped reading them. The UI doesn't help. If I have to scroll down a message every 8 lines then I will just skip it. Again Fallout 2 had 20 lines of text on a 800x600 resolution and it made reading some of the more lengthy files much more enjoyable.

EDIT: In Red Dead Redemption 2 you get something like 10 letters? And newspapers describing your activities? I feel more inclined to read those than 100+ files in CP2077 left in the most stupid locations like Konpeki Plaza where I am chased by corpos and shouldn't be looting all that shit every 5 meters.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the virtues of the storytelling-by-shard-drop-on-body-or-in-case is that you can have lots of interweaving micro-stories because you don't need the voice acting.
It's not really a virtue. It's a compromise which was first made in System Shock if memory serves me. And since then it has always been a compromise. If your medium is a 3D game, especially first person, you should tell stories using this medium. What they are doing is take the player out of the experience of the 3D first person game and say "Hey, you get to be a reader for 2 minutes and then you can go back". The chat history / conversation logs are just the cheap and dirty way of adding an excuse for the lack of characterisation, but are not real characterisation. Especially in this kind of setting. No, I'm not illiterate, no, I don't hate reading, no I'm not ADHD. But these lore bits delivered as text simply don't mesh well with the rest of the game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Remember when i told i saw the game live and was nothing special and people would not believe me?... I do.

And now i am laughting my ass of.

That would first require to remember you exist in first place.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ahah true!
However if i was remembered probably some folk would had saved some money avoiding to spend 60 bucks in this half baked game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It's not really a virtue. It's a compromise which was first made in System Shock if memory serves me. And since then it has always been a compromise. If your medium is a 3D game, especially first person, you should tell stories using this medium. What they are doing is take the player out of the experience of the 3D first person game and say "Hey, you get to be a reader for 2 minutes and then you can go back". The chat history / conversation logs are just the cheap and dirty way of adding an excuse for the lack of characterisation, but are not real characterisation. Especially in this kind of setting. No, I'm not illiterate, no, I don't hate reading, no I'm not ADHD. But these lore bits delivered as text simply don't mesh well with the rest of the game.
There's also just way too many.

I stopped caring after shard number 5000000 which explained to me why tyger claw asshole #5913139254 was all sad and missing his mommy or whatever.
They went for quantity over quality a lot, and also hid interesting background stuff relating to other missions in logs and e-mails in regular encounters.

It's just like the loot system, 99% trash which tires you out and makes you stop giving a shit so you end up disassembling some iconic gun you could have used by accident along with all the garbage.

The whole checklist/collectathon/borderlands/gta aspect took too much of their resources which would have been better spent on fewer, deeper storylines and characters, more conversation/personality options and proper challenges.

Caim

Arcane
remember when mebrilia threw a fit a few years back when cyberpunk was confirmed to be first person and she couldn't play dress up anymore
You can still play dressup, the first person view is just a mechanic so you don't need to behold the abomination you put together to have the best stats.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Gotta say, the guy some pages ago who criticized the panam storyline and her character was spot on... Finally got around to actually doing that one and yeah. Don't really like the voice actress for that char either. The direction is annoying/neurotic (intentionally, I guess) and the voice doesn't really seem right for some tough nomad chick 50-something years into the future.

Same with director Abernathy in the corp start btw in that short segment where she calls your boss after the space counsel thing. Throw in a bunch of random instances of "... like, " and she could have been a Current Year Girl (tm).

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

remember when mebrilia threw a fit a few years back when cyberpunk was confirmed to be first person and she couldn't play dress up anymore
You can still play dressup, the first person view is just a mechanic so you don't need to behold the abomination you put together to have the best stats.

Dressing up is part of the pen and paper as well. How you dress contribute at how you appear shaping the attitude of those that you meet. Look is a important part in the setting.
But good luck to explain that to the people that loves to trow out air from the mouth not knowing anything about the setting. :D

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I've said this before but I'll say it again: that's one reason why the cop quests are actually a proper part of the game and shouldn't be artificially skipped (ofc if you're just following your nose that's fine). There's actually a lot of decent writing on those shards, small tragedies, tales of betrayal, etc. - even one that makes you feel like a heel because you realize you've just killed a bunch of gangoons holding a sweet little birthday party for their choom :(

The problem that you feel like Robocop for doing the cop quests is another problem - clearly the game should have made some accommodation for the gangster's path - but that way of telling stories is as good in this as it's always been in immersive sims, and it doesn't require expensive voice-acting.

There is merit in what you have said but people buy games to play them. If I wanted to read novels I would go to a bookstore. There is just too much of those shards left in the game for players to pick-up. I would rather like if there were handful of those shards and some of them hidden in computers which the player needs to interact in some way to progress a quest. For example in Fallout 2 you find only handful of holodisks and some have passwords written on them to bypass security or give you hints on what you might find in a location. In Cyberpunk 2077 you get shards almost everywhere and very often do not affect gameplay in anyway. After picking up 20 of those describing things which are shown on TV ads, radio broadcasts and none of those helping me with exploration I've stopped reading them. The UI doesn't help. If I have to scroll down a message every 8 lines then I will just skip it. Again Fallout 2 had 20 lines of text on a 800x600 resolution and it made reading some of the more lengthy files much more enjoyable.

EDIT: In Red Dead Redemption 2 you get something like 10 letters? And newspapers describing your activities? I feel more inclined to read those than 100+ files in CP2077 left in the most stupid locations like Konpeki Plaza where I am chased by corpos and shouldn't be looting all that shit every 5 meters.

You find important info on computers too in a lot of the quests - for example in some of the cyberpsycho gigs, even some of the cop spots too.

And I'm not talking about the shards you pick up from shelves and desks ofc, those are definitely just lore fluff for the most part, and not necessary to read at the time (I never do I just grab them and maybe read a few on the odd occasion). I'm talking specifically about the shards and messages that are either on the dead bodies or cases or bags at the scenes of crimes that, when you pick them up, "complete" the cop quests. Those are the ones that have actual story fragments about the circumstances surrounding the criminal activity you've just nipped in the bud on them, those are the ones comparable to the recording tapes in the classic immersive sims (the Shocks, Deus Ex, etc.), which fill in a background sense of the world, not in a prosaic way, but usually in the form of fragments of dialogue or messages back and forth.

Re. text: the classic games many love here are filled with text. Some reading as you go has always been part of these types of games.

The UI in this has lots of problems, I won't argue with you there :)

alyvain

Learned

This stuff mostly reminds me of indie-horror games. It can work, but I'm honestly very tired of this type of narrative presentation.

Another thing that strangely irks me is the "now the game is in slow-mo, no sprinting available" when
V tries to get to a Kiroshi's control panel in the ending
. Marauder Shields, anyone?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I don't know about you, but sometimes I read things in real life too :) So it's perfectly appropriate for a character in an 1st or 3rd person RPG to do so. Notably, one has just had a hectic minute or two clearing out a quest, so there's a certain rhythm of action and relaxation there, and discovering what the scenario I've just come across was all about is actually something I have an interest in, in that moment of rest, and I imagine it would be the same in real life. And actually with some of them the story IS also told in the visual medium itself - the dead body the thieves have just killed, the antenna the fools have been setting up, etc., etc. But you can't do "plaintive tone" in the visual medium, whereas you can when some poor gonk is complaining to a gangoon about something in a fragment of conversation.

(Btw it just occurred to me the other day, I wonder if some of those antenna-setting-up crim acts are - or rather were at one time - related to the Peralez quest? Are some of them the same type of antique kit, like a big box with an antenna on top? If memory serves, yes. One pictures the hypothetical AI using proxies to hire criminals to get the job done! :) )

No I don't think found texts and voice recordings are a compromise, they're part of the "gameplay" in the larger sense, they add, they do not detract. YMMV ofc.

Turjan

Arcane
As these shards sometimes give you new quests, you are basically forced to read them, if you want to get those quests. Although, most of the time, these "quests" just lead to a location where you can pick something up. Some of the Tyger Claws shards deal with the same persons, so you actually get some longer story in the end.

I don't mind reading them. It's a quiet moment.

res11

Novice
So this is how it works? You make a game with fancy graphic 5 linear but well written quests then you fill the map with gigs ((clear the bandit camp style)) ship it with a crappy perk system and a loot system ala borderland and you have a damn fine game?...

Should have had these high standards when Witcher 3 came out bucko

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

If only they had a gameplay system that allowed the player to relive the stories you find in the shards...

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Should have had these high standards when Witcher 3 came out bucko

To be honest witcher 3 had way more outcome in side content than cyberpunk 2077. And that is the odd thing. Witcher had a predefined character however it was possible to do different choice with vast different outcomes as you progressed in the main story but also in the side quest. Cyberpunk is just linear and that's it. Choices there have no concequences at all the different endings minus one are dictated by the choice of 1 single dialogue. Side content is straight forward and linear. I know it sounds very odd to say however. Witcher 3 even being more an action game than a proper rpg had way more roleplay elements than cyberpunk 2077

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Has anyone noticed Mr Blue Eyes appearing in main quests? He always appears always on the periphery, from balcony or a perch watching. You cannot attack him, V lowers their weapons when they aim at him, and when you scan him this is the result:

FLOWwlX.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom