Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Maybe they played like me effectively never killing civilians ?

But shouldn't a tester play by pushing the game to its limits?

Testers usually test precise cut of game. Moreover from what that copy pasta said it was some mistake, maybe some last push actually broke it without their QA teams having chance to test it.

I mean gave was evidently rushed toward the end i doubt most of devs even had time to play themselves game as they were still working on it till day 0

Zer0wing

Cipher
It does indeed read like some /v/ shitpost with a heavy dose of cope.
It does have that vibe, tbh. The only thing CDPR devs had done previously is huge underground sewer net in TW3. Bringing back the 2018 version by June is a large redflag of this pasta, not gonna happen. Devs are busy with Cyberpunk Multiplayer part. Since CP2077 already hit 13 gorillion sales mark, devs are not coming back to it, it's a mission accomplished. Accomplished by lies but who the fuck cares? This is where higher ups and other staff are agreeing on. Whoever had the stomach to disagree is gone by 2018 already.

Perkel

Arcane
Why i think this copy pasta is reasonable is that you can actually find a lot of stuff done and a lot completely non quest related stuff that is too well done to be coincidence. Could be naturally cut content with leftovers staying in game but it may as well be waht dude said that in order to meet deadlines set by heads they had to cut cut cut across city.

Right now i am exploring city on foot and you wouldn't believe just how much detail is in those alleys, there are plenty of locked down doors you can open up with enough body that leads nowhere or to empty lots. Whole backalleys detailed as if in some linear game etc.

Devs are busy with Cyberpunk Multiplayer part.

In investor call after release they said openly that they don't care for now about Multiplayer version of game and they now focus on "rebuilding trust". This was to their investors not to fans or media so has kind of credibility.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Right now i am exploring city on foot and you wouldn't believe just how much detail is in those alleys, there are plenty of locked down doors you can open up with enough body that leads nowhere or to empty lots. Whole backalleys detailed as if in some linear game etc.
Obviously reserved for CP Online, bruh.

Get over it, these poles are not capable of delivering the yearh 2018 18 storylines-in-1 game version because the plan was set after the change of plans.

Perkel

Arcane

Online was supposed to be released after all single player expansions so about a year to year+. I somehow doubt they would be implementing online buildings and stuff costing them manpower with problems delivering single player portion.

There is whole part of pacifica that is closed off, they would probably rather focus on filling that area instead of making stuff that would not be seen for nearly year plus.

At least that is my logic.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm happy that now even normies want deep RPGs
Normies wouldn't recognize a deep RPG if it hit them in the face.
They often mean something completely different, yes. I didn't watch the video, but it's obvious that this game is at least two games in one, and unfortunately, those two games don't communicate well with each other. For example, when Wakako speaks on the phone to Rogue of "her Claws" (Wakako's) during the main quest, I guess even someone very inattentive (like missing item descriptions that say the same) will notice that this woman who gave him all these gigs claims to be the boss of those people he has been slaughtering by the hundreds up to this point. And then any immersion (probably what most people think of as "RPG") falls apart.

I read it as her being totally cynical and in it for the eddies regardless. Remember her husbands' unfortunate ends? She's the gang boss, sure, but she's also not above having members of her own gang slaughtered by an independent merc if there's money in it. The jobs are between you and her, so her gang needn't be any the wiser.

But that reading just comes from her character as portrayed, it would be nice if there was some acknowledgement of the oddity of a gang boss ordering you to slaughter her own in the game.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Online was supposed to be released after all single player expansions so about a year to year+. I somehow doubt they would be implementing online buildings and stuff costing them manpower with problems delivering single player portion.

There is whole part of pacifica that is closed off, they would probably rather focus on filling that area instead of making stuff that would not be seen for nearly year plus.

There are tons of "locked" doors in the game, you could have instanced missions in any of them, with a mixture of procedurally-generated and hand-built interiors. It's a huge city after all.

But I wonder what they mean by "multiplayer?" Are they thinking of having big servers with maybe hundreds in a city instance, like a proper MMO, or is it going to be some mixture of server and peer-to-peer that allows for 4 man teams and that sort of thing?

I must admit, in theory it sounds very cool to have multiplayer in the city, but without more well-defined roles, I can't see much point. I mean, if you had teams matchmade to have a netrunner, a solo, a heavy, a samurai, etc., then it could be fun provided there were things to do in missions that relied on some degree of specialization.

I can't help but think it's going to be another unfinished job with unfulfilled potential.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Online was supposed to be released after all single player expansions so about a year to year+.
Two years.
CDPR management is friends of Marcin Ifailsky and Adam Scamdowsky. They are not the types who's logic can be easily rationalized and it's obvious by credits that multiplayer and singleplayer were developed together.
See above.
abandon all common sense you who enter poland gentry mindset.
But I wonder what they mean by "multiplayer?" Are they thinking of having big servers with maybe hundreds in a city instance, like a proper MMO, or is it going to be some mixture of server and peer-to-peer that allows for 4 man teams and that sort of thing?
GTA Online rip-off. Don't expect first-person cyberpunk World Of Warcraft from them.

typical user

Arbiter
After being scammed I don't believe they will fix their shit around. I mean I still have the game and wouldn't mind if some of that copypasta was true but let's be honest 60% or more of promised features were cut. They were developing that game since 2016. So doing some quantum level quick maffs they would need 6 more years of development to deliver. And if they ask to fork out additional money for fixes then I will set sail under the black flag. Jeez CDPR has done almost impossible and now I want to support Ubisoft with their copy-pasting or Rockstar who wants you to spend $15 on a single car in a multiplayer infested with cheaters.

Perkel

Arcane
There are tons of "locked" doors in the game, you could have instanced missions in any of them, with a mixture of procedurally-generated and hand-built interiors. It's a huge city after all.

But I wonder what they mean by "multiplayer?" Are they thinking of having big servers with maybe hundreds in a city instance, like a proper MMO, or is it going to be some mixture of server and peer-to-peer that allows for 4 man teams and that sort of thing?.

When that "leak" talk about doors they don't talk about every door. They talk about doors with "locked" hud info. Aside from those there are a lot of doors that are closed that don't give you this "locked" hud status. But generally it is 3 to 1 when it comes to locked vs no hud. Which leads to reasoning that they they intended to do something with them.

When i heard about it i though no way they would do that. Now that i think about it, considering how detailed every part of street, back-alley, shop etc is it would be reasonable to assume that those were in fact interiors for player to explore. There are literally parts of backalleys that have more "stuff" in them than in most game interiors. Hell there are containers that are well more furbished than some of games interiors and if you look at actual interiors from game they aren't that much more detailed than streets.

I do think they have proc generation for clutter. Server side not client side though. There is just too much clutter to be handled by hand in game. Either that or they hired 1000s of chinese to do that for them.

As for online look at GTA Online this is what they want.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like either true or some fanboy extreame amount of copium. I also noticed mistake as minor gang wars and events are in game despite post claiming there are none:

SUPPOSEDDEVELOPERINCDPR said:
This is still very hush hush, but I'm fed up with this s*** so I'll disclose a few details.

CDPR hurt themselves to keep investors safe and sound. Now devs are hearing plans of a "No Man's Sky" style comeback due to late June. The first two patches should come out mid-March, despite what's been said by top execs. There will be major departures from the studio in the coming months. Dev morale is on an all time down and Sony is roasting our asses due to the gigantic volume of refund requests. There will be a meeting today with Sony execs to figure out a way to compensate players threatening with legal action. Sony Japan is specially furious.

More to come in the next couple weeks. Feels terrible, man.

There's no finger pointing as of now. Word on memos comes from the top. The directors and senior devs are taking the flak for the team in what I'd call "an honourable move". Just so you know, we still joke about a quest that got rewritten more than a dozen times, because a certain top dog wasn't "feeling it". It ended up being cut from the final product and should come on a later DLC next year.

There's people that get hired for whatever reason and stay in the company due to being "trusted by the top dogs". A good chunk of code is getting scrapped and rewritten from scratch. The intended game might be ready by June 2021.

That's already done and ready since February. It didn't get implemented because of a major UI bug that is still present in the retail copies. If you open your .dat files you'll find a lot of scrapped content still in there.
If you want a refund, please ask for it. It positively impacts us as devs, because we've warned the leads a MILLION times about that kind of s***. Most cosmetic overhauls should be ready by the 2nd big update, hopefully.

The update that is due to June will sort out all of the bugs. The code for the PS4/Xbox One is getting scrapped and done separately. PS5's code is an improvement on the PC due to the awesome dev kit Sony put together for this gen.

You'd be amazed by how much is already done. That "cut content so people finish the main quest" talk was all bulls***. Most apartments with "Closed (locked)" indications used to be lootable, we've scrapped 50,000+ lines of dialogue and I believe the June update will bring a whole lot of cut content back into the game.

Address the cut content as well. If they see that you guys are asking for s*** to be put back into the game, we might actually make the game we intended back in 2018. There used to be a huge underground part of the city that the public never got to see because it "looked ugly" to the execs. It was f***ing awesome and felt like the malkavian/nosferatu path on Vampire the Masquerade.

I don't want to hate on Keanu, but f***ing hell, our original Johnny was way cooler and sounded like a maniac. Think Foltest on crack. I don't appreciate his acting either, but he's a very nice man. Walked up to us personally to greet us on the first day and took time to personally thank us one by one when they wrapped up recording.

The word is his fee was actually manageable and the need for a Star Talent came from outside CDPR. The execs complied, because who the f*** knows? It sucks.

Our original Johnny was heavily inspired by David Hayter's Solid Snake from the first MGS and believe it or not, Cillian Murphy

There was a whole AI routine with minor gang violence in those areas. Stuff you could sit back and watch unfold or directly influence. There was also a lot of drug use with kids that eventually got cut due to inside censorship. There were priests and hare krishna side arcs that got cut due to censorship. Miles wrote a sidequest where a Max Tac officer offed himself and you could take its place but it created such a complex detour from everything tonally that it got cut as well. I hope it comes back, because it felt amazing to get into their headquarters and hack s***. You'd see the police trying to operate and breaking down mid-arrest due to your shenanigans.

Might sound weird, but the disaster launch was actually something beneficial, from our perspective. A cold shower sets priorities straight and so we're able to resume work on what was originally intended without having those f***ers breathing down our necks to publish.

I believe it was due to miscommunication and leads not setting goals like they should. The game was jumbled together for 2019's E3. The last dev comp before the scrap was 160Gb alone. There should be some whistleblowing in the coming weeks if the step downs

Series X was a mere rewrite of code and load orders. Next-gen's architecture is actually very good for ports. It's company policy to release when a game runs without debug hitches and the reason why it did baffles me and is the reason why I started this thread. It's a mix of hubris and deep incompetence from some big names around here. I'm going home for the holidays and really thinking about my friends who will be in the office for the next couple months redoing scrapped work without being able to say "I f***ING TOLD YOU!!! This is your fault, Boss". Next E3 will be bizarre for CDPR, I bet.

We've scrapped two whole arcs because the mission cleaned a save due to a bug with character placement. We've also scrapped a big portion of the underground and sewers because of bugs. Night City had three different types of cab besides Villefort and drivers would hold whole conversations and give quests. That also had to be scrapped.

Police pathfinding script worked wonderfully until somebody screwed the pooch. All I know it is already being fixed. It was a major oversight, of course.

Morgan Blackhand's backstory and a nod to the Coporate Wars. The DLC's will add a lot to the crazy and cool ideas Mike gave us when we began briefing the project. You guys should have the complete game by the end of next year, if everything goes well. I really gotta go now. Take care.

So yeah, the game was butchered

Who knows, but after playing the game for over 100 hours, one definitely has the intuitive sense that there was at one time more planned for the game, more quests, more open world content, etc., than we've now got. The abruptly truncated feel of the Peralez quest is one particularly glaring example. The absent train system (shown in demos, and with stations there in the game) is another obvious example.

copebot

Learned
If the game has problems, it's not because there's not enough cutscene content that was cut to make sure that it shipped. There's already way too much cutscene content. The main issue is that it's just not a good game. It would have been better with more system cuts: cutting all item progression and level progression would be an improvement. Removing all perks would be an improvement if it meant that it became easier to make the combat compelling and challenging. If the gun / armor mod system was 60% as complex as Fallout 4's, that would be more than enough customization for the game as it exists. The stats in the game just make it crappier. You can hack any NPC in the game with 3 intelligence, for example, and having 20 Body on a melee character just makes you do too much damage for the NPC health as it exists anyway. The leveling system actually makes it so that there is less meaningful choice than the typical action game release. Even in a contemporary action game, you might have an interesting tradeoff between a high magnification scope, a red dot sight, and iron sights. With Cyberpunk you don't really have any meaningful choices and your cheats just get more powerful over time as you consume more of the content.

Imagine playing a Call of Duty game on the hardest difficulty in which the game just got easier as you progressed through the linear levels, so by the time that you were stopping the nukes from going off in the final level you could just sprint through all the levels one-tapping everything. That would be stupid. But that is the "RPG" experience of Cyberpunk 2077. You go through linear cutscenes with a gradually degrading action game attached to them. The best action encounters are at the very beginning of the game when you don't have any healing items and could potentially run out of ammunition. After the first couple encounters, that period ends and you have full cheats enabled that only become more powerful as the game goes on. The only way to encounter a challenge is to fight something 10+ levels above you, at which point the math just hard limits you to doing massive % reduced damage with similar multipliers on your incoming damage.

The other thing that is goofy about the decisions made with this title is that they started with a pen and paper license, but did not want to adapt the rules from that license. Fallout benefitted from being adapted from GURPS, for example, although the licensing negotiations went under. Making a CRPG from a pen and paper license is good because it provides a tested framework and some limitations to your design. Look at how much a terrible developer like Larian is benefitting from adapting the 5E rules to a game, despite their natural inclinations to fuck it up. The creative ideas of game developers tend to be bad, and tend towards self-justification of work to inflate their work requirements. The contrast between the incomprehensible mishmash of the systems of D:OS 1 and 2 and BG3 shows how just using tested rulesets can help to keep a CRPG on track.

Instead of just using play tested systems that run on a paper framework, software devs will prefer to bikeshed custom systems that suck and are unbalanced. Then they can schedule more meetings to blather about the problems with those crappy systems instead of just doing the already very challenging work of game development around a tested ruleset. They had all this work done for them already with the Cyberpunk PnP, and then just scrapped everything but the fluff because they thought that they knew better. That's finished work that they paid to be able to use, but they just took the fluff, and the fluff of that system was just plagiarized from novelists once over already.

DeepOcean

Arcane
When that "leak" talk about doors they don't talk about every door. They talk about doors with "locked" hud info. Aside from those there are a lot of doors that are closed that don't give you this "locked" hud status. But generally it is 3 to 1 when it comes to locked vs no hud. Which leads to reasoning that they they intended to do something with them.
I wouldnt be so excited about that if I were you, that sort of unfinished shit is very common on games and even more so on open world games, most developers just place invisible walls around them so players cant see the unfinished areas, with the way CDPR rushed the game, it is probable that they just didnt have time to hunt those areas to wall them off. No developer leave unfinished areas accessible intentionally, this is probably an oversight of their part because of the rushed development.

You would be surprised with the amount of unfinished, out of bounds content in disk that games are released. Most games are just a jury rigged piece of software where things are hold together by spaguetti code and tape barely holding everything together so alot of garbage being left over is expected.

I believe some of those areas might even be used on DLC but they returning this game to the state it was pre 2020 cuts? No way. They already pivoted 80% of the studio to the online version by now.

Perkel

Arcane
I wouldnt be so excited about that if I were you, that sort of unfinished shit is very common on games and even more so on open world games, most developers just place invisible walls around them so players cant see the unfinished areas, with the way CDPR rushed the game, it is probable that they just didnt have time to hunt those areas to wall them off. No developer leave unfinished areas accessible intentionally, this is probably an oversight of their part because of the rushed development.

I know that. The thing is that usually in production there is certain standard set by production team. Like in case of TW3 where every door was intractable but hud said "locked". So clearly they set standard.

Here it is weird. Like 3:1 ratio of doors that are interactable and those who are not. Moreover most of those interactable doors are in places that could be reasonably deduced that player could go inside if something wasn't cut. Examples: Trauma hospital, that motel doors in one of missions etc.

The stuff you don't get hud warning are stuff that doesn't fit into it like V neighbor apartments or minor shop doors on streets. Moreover there are doors closed for some stuff that has clearly interior fully finished as you can see through window etc. They could just not do interior if they didn't plan to do something with it and place texture instead of transparent glass.

That kind of weird stuff leads me to believe that this could be reasonable. The point is that there seems to be pattern here. This doesn't seem to be TW3 situation.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
1.07 patch soon? They say the 1.06 was 18gigs? about 1/3 game size? Are all the patches that big?
If you are on a console, yes. If you are on PC, no, but you still need space to unpack your game files for the code to be inserted into them.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The best action encounters are at the very beginning of the game when you don't have any healing items and could potentially run out of ammunition. After the first couple encounters, that period ends and you have full cheats enabled that only become more powerful as the game goes on.

It's odd because if you take the "two weeks tops" thing seriously (as I did on my first half-playthrough with my first char), because you aren't leveling up like crazy clearing all the side-quests, the difficulty is pitched about right if you go through the game glued to the MQ and a few side-quests - IOW it stays quite similar to the way it feels at the beginning, with a reasonable degree of challenge.

This must have been a deliberate decision, with the devs knowing that that's how most people will probably play the game (I myself didn't really "discover" the open world aspect until that point, when I started a new character, and got into doing things like Watson-clearing just after speaking to Dex, etc.). That starting character barely had any perks and levels, right up to when I'd narrowed the MQ down to where I was just about to do the parade with Takemura (I think I was about level 12 or so at that point).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding the purported developer comments, some of my posts from the last weeks:

It's easy to imagine that CDPR devs are under extreme pressure to get the game to a state where it will be allowed back on the playstation store. This must be the absolute imperative top priority. What would their ETA be for that - maybe mid-January, maybe even by the end of this year? And I guess that while they are working on that, they are temporarily allowed anything, including pushing changes meant for PS4 into all the other platforms with the expectation that they will handle platform-level tuning at a later stage. Probably the expectation is that "we'll add some more LOD sliders later" or simply "we'll up the LOD again for PC in a separate patch".

So what is happening before our eyes is reversing CDPR's process. It used to be "PC first, then scale down" before release. Now after release it's "Consoles first then scale up". We get to watch how a modern game gets optimized for consoles :lol:

That's why it gets so interesting to understand what the arrangement was between CDPR and Sony. I watched a Yongyea video where he assumed, I think correctly, that if the game is pulled from sony's storefront but not from MS' storefront, then it must have been Sony who pressured CDPR not the other way around. He reasons that if the initiative for pulling it was in CDPR they would have pulled it from both storefronts. Now if the push was from Sony that the game should be removed, was there any arrangement as to when it will be allowed back? My guess is they just said "you work on it as much as you think you need, then give it to us again for certification". Corps love to work "according to the existing process" for everything and it's not an offer that CDPR would have reasonably been able to bargain against.
If there was real gaming journalism, people would be going after the storefront owners as well.

Trying to see Sony's perspective, they are the ones who have to handle returning the money directly, whereas CDPR bravely and generously "offered" to players to seek their money back. When CDPR makes the payment to Sony it will be in bulk, but processing the thousands of individual refunds falls to Sony's personnel, as well as the frustration of gamers.

It should be kept in mind that Sony is also culpable for the whole shitshow because it was Sony's employees who greenlit the game to go on the Playstation store. But if they got flooded with refund requests, withdrawing the game seems the most practical course.

'm almost done clearing Northside of side content, and I'm even more convinced that these quests were meant to be interconnected but were turned into Outposts in order to save resources and time during the production phase. They just scream that they needed to be reduced in number and consolidated into bigger "gigs". The contrast in complexity of the heist preparation vs the gigs, as well as the pre-release talk from CDPR of seamless transfer between main quest and sidequests points to the same. I suspect that what all those exclamation marks on the map present is not even the first pass state of the side content. It was simply unfinished stuff that was converted from the initial vision to Far Cry outposts. That's the biggest loss of all, because it will probably never be returned to the original vision. The most I imagine CDPR will do is to break down these "gigs" in more granular portions which will be gated by main quest progression or street cred level.

there is a notable disparity in the amount of detail put into some gigs vs others. The "Occupational Hazard" gig is one of the most developed I've seen yet. It features two NPCs besides the cyberpsycho, enough backstory, and doesn't end with an IM exchange with Regina. Instead Regina calls you to say "good work". This surprised me so much that at first I suspected the gig has bugged out and I should have received a message.

I'm talking specifically about cyberpsychos. I've done 8 out of 17. In only one case I had to IM Regina and she didn't write me back - "Bloody Ritual". That was a bug because I later saw in youtube that she does reply. And the only cyberpsycho case where she called me and didn't IM me was "Occupational Hazard".

1. Grouping Cyberpsychos and gigs under Regina.
2. Not being able to call fixers but having to specifically IM them
3. Fixers acting as second hand car salesmen
4. Fixers calling you out of the blue instead of having to converse with them in person, possibly convince them you are good via means of dialogue checks, street cred and what not.
5. Confusion about whether Wakako Okada is a Tyger Claw leader or a free agent.

All of these point to the fact that not even fixers were fully implemented.

I'm convinced that what was released on the 10th was what Josh was calling "Critical path" in PoE's development. The point where the game was complete-able and the team sat down to play it over the holidays, it was December 2014 I think.

In CP77 it's the main quest that's complete, the rest was in state of production when the board pressed for a 2020 release, so they could have a better looking balance sheet for the year. Serves them right.
Judging by the fact that they postponed from November to December for "optimization for consoles", I'd wager the cuts were already completed with the intention for a November 19th release, meaning the cuts were decided somewhere in summer 2020, and completed by September. Maybe we'll get a leak from CDPR to confirm or deny this. The big question remains if any of this can or will be brought back/finished. Personally, I doubt it.

There are also the obvious - in my opinion - cuts. So far I've seen two instances where in the course of the main quest I am looking for a favor from a fixer. I can guess that this was intended to be one of multiple options, and that I was supposed to be developing my relationship with multiple fixers whose missions become available gradually. My estimation based on that leaked timeline of development was that these plans were dropped in April.

I'm not sure there haven't been compromises even with the "popamole design". There is a noticeable disparity in the amount of detail given to some side missions vis-a-vis others. As for the gigs, and the fixers functioning *as a system* of their own, as opposed to gigs being a pokemon hunt and fixers serving to deliver a few introductionary lines, I believe this is where there was original design which was downscaled in the last months.

My theory is that production, as in filling the game with all the planned, written, probably even voiced, content, was lagging too much, and consoles optimisation is a process which was dependent on production being finished. CDPR announced the game is gold on Oct 5. This was already after the second delay - the one for Nov 19. My guess is that if it wasn't for console optimisation, CDPR could have easily carried on scripting quests and working on systems such as the police/crime system some months into 2021 without preparation for consoles even starting. That's how late they are.

The presumtion here is that the devs need to finish putting stuff in the game in order for optimization to start. This sounds very reasonable to me, but if anyone can prove this isn't required, go ahead.

One issue with these shards in "Assault in progress" and NCPD-marked locations is how repetitive the structure is. Another is that you only get to read them after the fact.

As it has been implemented now, the player gets to first clear the area, and only then when he is checking out the loot, does he get to learn "who are those guys I just killed here". Well, big deal, the player thinks to himself as he continues filtering through the trash loot. Loot that will be disassembled seconds later, or sold - wow so immersive, I'm a merc in Night City who makes his living by killing random punks and pawning their gear. But my point isn't about the game's unbalanced economy.

Imagine these encounters were implemented in a less cheap and more immersive way. You go to one of the many bars, overhear the same conversation that one character is having on the phone. Only then does the location with the combat become visible on the map - I would suggest it's even available only for a limited time. You go there and have your combat and loot. Yes, it's more expensive to script the conversation and record the same lines that you find written but brings more character to the activity and makes the activity feel more connected to the world, exactly like the mini-quest it should be.

As a matter of fact I suspect those shards with "chat history" were originally intended to be voiced and listened to. I can't imagine someone just decided to have all the premises written as dialogues "just because".

I just played through a miniquest called "A Day in the life". How it goes - you overhear a conversation between a client and a food vendor at a market in Arroyo. You approach and order something from him. At this moment someone throws a rock or something at his stall. The vendor asks you to help with kids around the block. You follow him to where two punks are stealing his motorbike. I killed the punks when they threathened him with knives. Had a conversation with him afterwards. Had one blue question I could ask in addition to the yellow dialogue to continue the qest. He returned to his stall saying he will give me a nice discount in the future. When I approached his stall he said "Ah, it's you again" before we even started dialogue.

This alone had more scripting work and voiced dialogue put into it than two or three Regina Jones jobs. You can't convince me that the gigs are complete and represent CDPR's idea of how they should look and play.

It's not even about caring about reputation or not caring. They can't afford to invest the time into working on stuff which gets noticed by a small percentage of players. It also makes no business sense - restoring cut interactions with fixers won't tilt virtually anyone who is on the fence towards buying the game, so why do it.

Fixing the police system, enriching the "GTA Clone" within the trinity of games composing CP77 (Deus Ex + On Rails Story/Witcher With Guns + Cyber GTA), which is what the mouthbreather audience and media are most vocal about seems most likely to receive attention in terms of adding functionality.

It's been well established in the history of RPGs that the details we appreciate them for are almost always snuck into the game by an enthusiastic developer and aren't central or even planned features. In CP77 the ship has sailed for inserting such features.

Most likely the decision to use this system in CP77 preceded the decision to ship the MMO as a separate game at a later time.

The cut reactivity will probably remain cut forever, unless there are literally unused assets sitting in the game's .archive files and commented out scripts, but I personally doubt that.

I'm more inclined to doubt the veracity of the leak. It's being too unspecific about some things, while strangely specific when it comes to patch dates, especially six months ahead.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't think they intended to implement blue markers as full on "immersive" quests. They were just there to have things to shot.

Learned
To me the leak reads like your average "my uncle works at Nintendo" as far as my uncle works at Nintendos go.

Anyone can come to the general conclusions in that text and get a tad creative. Permanently locked doors were meant to be usable. Johnny was completely different but execs wanted a big star for PR and starstruck CDPR couldn't say no to Keanu's "creative input". Is this all supposed to be a big revelation? Any one of us can theorize these and we already have.

PS5's code is an improvement on the PC due to the awesome dev kit Sony put together for this gen.

:D

Now that sounds legit.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
We will see if some of the leak's claims are confirmed quite soon.
I do believe that CDPR is likely sitting on a mountain of cut content and features. It remains to be seen if they are actually gonna go through with the supposed NMS-styled overhaul or if they're gonna just do a token effort to silence the most vocal criticism and then hype up the multiplayer (which is what they're really after).

Hell, it remains to be seen if it is even possible to unfuck the game since so much of it is broken mechanically on a fundamental level.

ADL

Prophet
That leak reads like bullshit but given all we've heard and seen over the years, I think it's fair to say that the whole project was rebooted pretty late in development. What this means for 2077? Who knows but I'm more interested in what they cobble together for Cyberpunk Online next year or the year after once they can abandon last gen hardware and a couple systemic overhauls.

just

Liturgist
real leaks are always 1 or 2 sentences with a quick info dump
never extremely detailed 500 word essays
what he forgot to wirte is follow me on twitter for more

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom