Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 Release Thread - Concerned For The Consoles

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Sam Ecorners, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Yes, his family got obliterated because it gave up its independence. Which, by the way, is also the explanation why he would go along with Panam's rather outrageous plans, because he thinks that's still a better chance than being gulped up by Biotechnica (Saul's plan).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    Heh, Panam is hanging around in Afterlife during the Prologue, but we can't interact with her.

And apparently she keeps a bottle of booze hidden inside her ass.

• incline incline x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mefi Cipher

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    I saw it a little bit differently.

Show Spoiler
    One of the main themes is escaping from one's own reality to an idealised better place. At the same time there's a recognition that failure to achieve that, whether you try or not, is likely to end up with you dead. Viktor's probably the most grounded character in the game and even he has retreated from the world around him to an underground den with Misty as his buffer from dealing with too many people. Even fantasist Jackie is reading For Whom the Bell Tolls while being driven to escape an abusive childhood, gang wars which leave him nearly dead, and living in a garage with his bike. So the Afterlife ending is the idealised living legend but V's still going to die, question I took from it was whether it was worth it? It's the same question which comes up with teenage rebellion in Japan where Yurinobu decided that it wasn't and returned to Arasake to try and take his father's power and use it to try and create something new from Arasaka instead. It's world decaying even as everyone flees into fantasies.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Naughty Dog pretty much blown up their reputation with a huge portion of their fan base with that bizarre shit they did with Last of Us 2, most of those will return to "consume product" mode as soon as their new game is announced. If reputation meant something on gaming industry, EA wouldnt be the second most profitable publisher only after Activision.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Hmm, looks as if that penthouse you see from V's apartment is actually used in one of the endings. So I guess that was that.

^ Top  
  6. alyvain Learned

alyvain
    Show Spoiler
    The fact that the new luxury living place is across the street from the old one probably indicates that no, it wasn't. Fun thing is that the future isn't as much "cyberpunky", as purely capitalistic. Honestly, in the game it doesn't even feel that the corpos, who can't even find shit in the city due to the plot limitations, have that much of a technical edge over the various misfits, it is just that big money and institutes fueled by them move the world in general. The creepiest techno-stuff is the Peralez family, and we don't even know whether corpos are behind it. My point is, in this game any rebellion against status-quo is meaningless, organised political action is out of the question. The only way to "win" is to depart from the world, to live on the outskirts, keep close to the people you care about, preferably a tight family-type community, such as the Aldecaldos gypsies or the actual family of the one-eyed-cop-dude.

So the overall message feels very conservative. Since success is perilous and you can't change shit anyway, save yourself, run, maybe put up a good fight, live in the woods, build a barn, that kind of stuff. Some of this feels like a sitcom or, I dunno, a Firefly episode, where you have a community, which cares about each other in not-so-hospitable world, other stuff is straight from the XIXth century. The fact that characters hardly interact with each other seriously undermines it, but I honestly didn't feel any other major theme being developed throughout the game. Silverhand was probably ment to function like a sad fucked-everything-up-looking-for-redemption dude from Disco Elysium to a certain extent, but this doesn't work well.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mefi Cipher

Mefi
    The futility of struggle against 'the system' is kind of the core of cyberpunk, isn't it? It's not someone changing the world, it's a miracle if they change themselves by the end of the story arc. ("He spent the bulk of his Swiss account on a new pancreas and liver, the rest on a new Ono-Sendai and a ticket back to the Sprawl" as Neuromancer's Case ends up.)

Good point on the message about social structures within the game, although I'd frame it as a more 'human' idea than a strictly 'conservative' one. For Whom the Bell Tolls opens with a quote from Donne. 'No man is an island...' etc. Can see your point on doing it well and developing it even if I'm a little more sympathetic to the game. (Mainly because Johnny's arc can work really well but it's so dependent on order stuff is done in, which goes back to your point on doing it well to start with...).

Show Spoiler
    That mind control storyline does have a corp background. It also seems to link occult and technology. Really underdeveloped currently though - seems either cut or base for future DLC.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Twiglard Prophet Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Show Spoiler

What do you think? Who can offer more than Alt and 'Saka? It's only the techno-necromancers from Alpha Centauri. He's a proxy for AI past the Blackwall or something like that.

The thing is, V is still dying in that ending. He can shoot through the rough equivalent of the National Guard, but has no cure and no method of finding it. It's a carefree death for him.

The Nomad ending has the most positive tone overall, but for the Rogue/Secret endings you can potentially survive and get back with the waifu. I'd say chance is more than half.

Sort of. I think it's important to play all the endings to get a full picture, all facts revealed. Anyway he wants to sabotage the company from the inside, burn it to the ground. I'm of course assuming that facts from other endings happen as-is even if not revealed in the others.

Because of what he said. He wants to destroy the company. "Become the bomb".

Cuts, and gameplay/narrative segregation.

Soma's pretty good but the content is sophomoric drivel. Let's all navel-gaze on the essence of chairs for fuck's sake.
    I'd make a spoiler thread but it's not gonna be the same without Junta. :salute: Is he lurking by any chance?

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    Show Spoiler
    Peralez quest is definitely linked with night corp if you let Elizabeth guide you through her house you can learn that their law degrees were founded by night corp and sandra dorsett uncovered night corp experiments on mind control with the use of ai. Then there is the question of who programmed and equipped that cyberpsycho that attacks the town hall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sòren Cipher

Sòren
    and exactly this is my problem with the story. there is no character development during the game and neither u nor Johnny know what the ultimate goal of ur journey is -except survival. which fails. all the endings - except the nomad's - show that. it seems like the game was messed up by too many different ideas.

also, i think u are wrong on the peralez questlines. the game hints that some more sinister and powerful faction holds the strings, which are AI's from beyond the blackwall. which probably was the most interesting thing happening in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. alyvain Learned

alyvain
    It's not that I'm not sympathetic, I'm just sad about how it turned out, because I believe it was supposed to be much more humane than, say, the Witcher 3 story.

Show Spoiler
    Just wait till we learn that Nightcorp is operated by AI or AIesque mr.House/mr.Night in one of the DLCs

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Show Spoiler
    Mr. Blue Eyes will be this game's O'Dimm.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    Show Spoiler
    Storyline about Richard Night taking back Night city from the other corps and making it truly independent could be fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mefi Cipher

Mefi
    My personal theory on the Peralez questline.

Show Spoiler
    Night Corp is using brain changing tech to control politicians in an attempt to take control of Night City, which Arasaka currently controls, while also using occult ideas to persuade Maelstrom members to host AI inside their own bodies as a way to try and control the streets. Gangs being an extension of Corp power (eg Arasaka and Tyger Claws).

Kind of agree with you on a real mishmash of ideas. Agree with you on characters developing, but for Johnny, who does have a real change - marred as it is by you potentially never realising because you've not done the quests to see it. How many people will have talked with Johnny and two buddhist monks at the same time? Not only do you need to do one particular quest, you then need to be in the right spot at the right time to follow it up. But the overall stagnation of characters doesn't bother me so much because that's within my expectation for the genre that V can choose to continue trying to play the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Finally finished the game. I saw all the endings available.

It is a game that does a lot of great things and plenty of terrible other things. And not all the bad things will be fixed. The bugs and performance were never a problem for me. Other things were.
    Dependings on your expectations, the good or the bad will win in the balance.

I like the game enough to keep on playing and finish available sidequests and gigs. I do not do this for every game.

It is a fantastic and flawed game. I might consider writing a review.

• Brofist x 12
    • Agree x 3
    • incline x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. alyvain Learned

alyvain
    Do you mean the meditating one and the one who got tortured by Maelstrom? I think I saw the latter before the second act, so I don't know Johnny's reaction to it.

^ Top  
  17. Mefi Cipher

Mefi
    Welcome to the spoiler thread... sorry. Yeah, the latter.

Show Spoiler
    If you rescure the one held by Maelstrom, later on you'll find both him and the one who had implants forced on him sat beneath a large four armed statue. You can chat with them about Buddhist views on whether an engram is alive, and Johnny will chime in to. There are loads of conversations like that scattered about, which creates the character arc for Johnny. I only did the initial quest for my first playthrough. There's a number of other quests with non-flagged follow ups without Johnny dialogue as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. moon knight Matt7895's alt

moon knight
    This happens when you give a Cyberpunk game to poles. They love murica and capitalism.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. alyvain Learned

alyvain
    ^ Top  
  20. Ibn Sina Learned

Ibn Sina
    Anyone did the Meditation quest chain with the mysterious Buddhist priest who keeps disappearing?

^ Top  
  21. alyvain Learned

alyvain
    Sure. What's that you're interested in?

^ Top  
  22. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Some of those quests have a bit more to it than I first expected. Even that initially stupid quest with the talking vending machine has several follow-ups.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ibn Sina Learned

Ibn Sina
    I don't the ending of the quest, the final quest chain you meet him on the outskirts of the city, and you barely get any info out of him. Is he imaginary?

• cuck cuck x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    An interesting take on CP:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Twiglard Prophet Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Jesus, this is the techno-necromancers of Alpha Centauri. The ones with blue eyes. Gary is like Dude except he's wrong most of the time. Dude was always 100% right though. Except for neutrino headaches, probably.

I bet that the blue-eyed man is a proxy.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.