Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think this may be the beginning of the downfall of this company

It's run by artists that don't understand, or respect the technical work behind the product, so while artists were treated relatively well, C++ programmers where paid a wage of potato front end JS dev and about 25% of a western dev wage.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of technical team after fixing worst bugs will just fuck off and there will be no one left to code missing pedestrian / driving ai and wanted system ( if studio leads would ever acknowledge it as an issue ).

For 10 years they relied on cheap local labor, paid potato wages and gave their emplyees potato treatment, so most talented people after getting 1-2 years of experience at CDPR emigrated for senior positions on the west.
If they were less griddy and paid at least 50% of western wages, these people would most likely stay, at this point probably only people with no experience are willing to take CDPR gig.

After this whole mess and controversy with working conditions, I can't imagine many people from outside of patatoland willing to work there.
They'll experience great difficulty finding experienced talent willing to work for them now, even some less passionate about their projects artists may start jumping the ship.
Wouldn't surprise me if badmouthing CDPR over crunch was part of an orchestrated strategy to cut the flow of western devs and undermine CDPR's future projects. The big western companies would really want to kill CDPR because CDPR works cheap, produces good stuff with its own inimitable style (until CP77), and serves as an example that MTX isn't a necessity to produce big open world games. With the level of influence big publishers have over mainstream gaming UK/US-based shitholes, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the average commie fervor against exploiting the workers is being encouraged.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I decided to wrap up my play through last night, having completed most of the side quests and activities. There are some left over to either pick off later or do on a subsequent playthrough / if I feel like trying to 100% this thing. I've seen two of the available endings so far and they were both appropriate and pretty hard hitting. Not many games move me, but this one did. The narrative is very well done.

I've said this before, but I'll reiterate. This isn't really an RPG. If you think Borderlands with more story elements or Deus Ex with more shooting is an RPG, then fine, it's an RPG (but you're wrong).

That being said, I didn't really care that it wasn't an RPG. I didn't follow the marketing much other than the news that they changed the RPG description to be an open world action adventure or something during development, and to see some of the videos where it looked like a GTA mod. As a result, I didn't have sky high expectations for the game, so it managed to exceed my expectations in pretty much every way. There are some bugs that would be good to work out, but they were fairly minor (graphical glitches, etc.) with the only major bug that actually irritated me being the behaviour of police. The police, as noted around don't really chase much and are ridiculously easy to evade, but also they sometimes just disappear. One time I grenaded a group of Netwatch officers because I felt like it and got into this major shoot out with the police. I took cover around a corner and... they all disappeared like I was in the Twilight Zone. I LARPed that V's brain glitched out again and moved on, but it still sucked.

I get why this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was awesome due to its presentation. It's probably the best looking game I've played to date, although I mostly play RPGs and strategy games, so this isn't necessarily a high bar to clear. The game presents all sorts of stuff I imagined as a kid reading cyberpunk novels or playing Shadowrun tabletop (which is similar in a lot of ways to Cyberpunk 2020, if CP2020 was crossed with D&D elements like orcs, dragons, and magic). The glow of the neon lights at night, the rain, smart bullets whizzing around and changing direction in flight due to their microprocessors, wired reflexes that you can kick in and wipe out a room of guys before they know you're there, etc., etc. while still being screwed over by megacorps because it doesn't matter how badass you are when the entire system is rigged against you. Normally I'm against most nudity and sex in games because I think it's gratuitous and out of place. Here, I found the sex scenes fairly cringey, but the nudity and presentation of sexuality and objectification fit with the setting very well. So whether the game has Ultima VII level NPC schedules and created a "living world" or whatever the fuck doesn't matter to me. They have presented the world, setting, and genre in a way that hit all the right points for me as a fan of the cyberpunk genre and made me geek out in a way that few games do.

All in all, with a PC that can run it at a reasonable frame rate* I'd have to say this is my GOTY overall. It's the best game I played across all systems. It is NOT the best RPG I've played and I would not classify it as an RPG at all except maybe in some RPG-lite subcategory full of shooters with skill customization and dialog like Borderlands, Deus Ex, or Mass Effect.

Final verdict: I rate the game at :bounce: out of :neveraskedforthis:

Tech note:
I ran the game at 2560 x 1440 at mostly a mixture of high and ultra settings, with ray tracing generally turned off and not using DLSS. At times I turned ray tracing on and also turned on DLSS, but overall, I found not using DLSS or ray tracing to be the better option.

* say 40+, depending on your preferences - there's a chart on GOG that gives benchmarks to hit around 40+ FPS at given settings if you're not sure if your potato will run it.

The project was rebooted in 2018 and a lot of the old staff left. Same old story with CDPR, they had that happen on Witcher 1 -> 2, again from 2 -> 3, and again after 3's launch. Only this time they ran out of luck.

2016, after 3 years work had already been put in... Doesn't matter how long they've 'been working' on it, they told us about it 2012 and we've been expecting it since then.. So yes, they have taken 8 years to give it to us, it's irrelevant how much of that time they spent pissing around.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The project was rebooted in 2018 and a lot of the old staff left. Same old story with CDPR, they had that happen on Witcher 1 -> 2, again from 2 -> 3, and again after 3's launch. Only this time they ran out of luck.
But not twice! Cyberpunk 2077 was rebooted in 2016, not started developing. And in 2018, even thought it was more of a soft-reboot, from the original rags to rich legends story to what was presented to us in their final build, it still counts since the whole beginning of the game was scrapped.

Zeriel

Arcane
The more important thing there is the people who were in charge of and championing the original design left the company. That's the point I was making, not that that excuses what they released. I want CDPR to fucking go down in flames.

passerby

Arcane
Wouldn't surprise me if badmouthing CDPR over crunch was part of an orchestrated strategy to cut the flow of western devs and undermine CDPR's future projects. The big western companies would really want to kill CDPR because CDPR works cheap, produces good stuff with its own inimitable style (until CP77), and serves as an example that MTX isn't a necessity to produce big open world games. With the level of influence big publishers have over mainstream gaming UK/US-based shitholes, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the average commie fervor against exploiting the workers is being encouraged.

There was no stream of western devs willing to work on these wages, most western devs in the credits are freelancers and a few ones dumb enough to fall for it quickly run away.
There was some influx of third worlders misled about purchasing power of potato wages and "super cheap" living costs in Warsaw, which in reality are on the level of a provincial western town.
So while the media onslaught was most likely inspired by the competition, it was just kicking them while they were down, but a word of mouth was enough to bring them down in the first place.

Paying 50% of western wage would be imo enough to make all local and 2nd/3rd world talent stay. While it wouldn't be still the same in a raw purchasing power, it would be close enough in a standard of living.
And 50% western wage would give some asian nerd way more betabux power among nice Polish girls, than 100% wage would give him among western hambeasts.
And given legal environment ( wealth separation and only 5 years of minimum wage alimony ), there would be no contest, if it comes to successfully starting a family on betabux power compared to the west, if someone was seeking for a place to plant roots.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
It's out:

Crowbcat

People should note down the names of all the Youtube channels involved. All of them were enablers and failed at their jobs the moment CDProjekt gave them the statues and the jackets.
As much as this was a failure of the AAA industry it is far far more a failure of games journalism and influencers who utterly failed on a level I've never seen before.

Gargaune

Magister
Oh boy, I went to look up Badowski's rebuttal and the second result was a post on CD Projekt's own forums. To quote a piece:
Another thing he answered was the "Missing Features." He said that its part of the creation process to cut content. Also he added that there are car ambushes or chases (yeah.. right.)
- Now i do agree that some features get cut out of the game, but lets be honest here.. There are NO FEATURES AT ALL IN THIS GAME. I could list you more features of a game released in 2005 than in this game. What even can i do in this game.. How do you expect me to interact with the world, outside of your scripted missions.
This is unacceptable in my point of view.
:lol:

In other news, I just ghosted Riders on the Storm, that was quite decent. Still a bit short and bookended by loads of "cinematic gameplay", but it scratched a certain itch while it lasted. I'll give another nod to that mini-mission from Wakako where a guy has you steal his paychecks back from his ex-wife, another micro-DX exercise. CDPR really should be focusing more on this sort of thing and build some larger dungeons this way. And add vents.

P.S. The dildo weapon you get from banging the corpo witch? It vibrates.

It's a lot of minigames to waste time on - races in NFS camera perspective, races in GTA 1 camera perspective, 3rd person shooter deathmatch, run and gun other players around town, and even (which is supposedly the main event) heists, which hardly anyone plays because you are always paired with some retard who will be a retard, die constantly or his connection will lag.
Thanks, so I didn't miss anything.

Gargaune

Magister
People should note down the names of all the Youtube channels involved. All of them were enablers and failed at their jobs the moment CDProjekt gave them the statues and the jackets.
Au contraire, it seems to me like they did exactly what they were paid given statues and jackets for.

As much as this was a failure of the AAA industry it is far far more a failure of games journalism and influencers who utterly failed on a level I've never seen before.
Now, now, you've seen worse and don't you argue with me on this one!
No_Man%27s_Sky.jpg
Look, on a serious note, loathe as I am to defend video bloggers and journalists, in as much as the most egregious complaints are technical I think they might get a pass on that particular count - most of them will have reviewed the game on high-end rigs. And since bugs and instability appear to be performance-related, it is quite possible they just didn't see the worst of 'em and there's a reason CDPR didn't hand out console review codes.

I'm playing on what was upper range a year ago, and the bugs have mostly been Bethesda territory. I just got my first ever crash today, I tested a hand cannon in a market and the game plummeted to the desktop, appalled at my callousness, but that's been the only one in sixty hours of play.

As for not accurately reporting on content, who the hell still expects a reviewer to know what good gameplay is these days?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I want CDPR to fucking go down in flames.

As long as they don't take GOG with them.

Anyway, I get the argument that staff changed and the game was rebooted and all that, but as I've said before Cyberpunk's problems (on PC anyway) are very similar to Witcher 3's problems. The main difference is the side missions have less story content. If you got all the side missions from the fixers themselves with maybe the client there and some dialog and mild decisions, people would see a lot more clearly that it's the same fucking structure. Follow the map marker, get random loot shit, go to next marker. The real fall of CDPR was after Witcher 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
It must suck to release a non perfect product in $CURRENT_YEAR. Every single "media influencer" will immediately jump on it and attempt to one up each other in showing how completely awful it is in order to get views/likes/clicks while game jo*rnalists are also fighting with them. I've played a lot of games that have been widely deemed to be "the worst ever" recently and at worst they were typically just mediocre.

Harthwain

Magister
I doubt it's that kind of conspiracy.

What I find more likely is that CDPR is the most recent well-known developer who was (is?) crunching, and the buggy release of Cyberpunk 2077 only helps the media to cover that side of the story more extensively to get as many clicks out of it as possible while this topic is still hot. Compare it with the talk about crunch over Red Dead Redemption 2 at Rockstar. The key differences? The console release of that game was very polished (unlike the PC port, if I am not mistaken), the game was seen as a success and the team working on it wasn't complaining too much when talking with the media.

It does shed some light on the "E3 demo was fake" claim. I was so focused on the mission itself that I completely forgot about the other stuff announced by the narrator, which was supposed to be in the game. This is probably the "free DLC" content they're promising. "The stuff we intended to include in the base game we didn't have time to implement".

It must suck to release a non perfect product in $CURRENT_YEAR. Every single "media influencer" will immediately jump on it and attempt to one up each other in showing how completely awful it is in order to get views/likes/clicks while game jo*rnalists are also fighting with them.
It's the danger of releasing an overhyped and buggy product. And it's not just about releasing "a non perfect product". I saw something similar when Warcraft III: Refunded was released. Something like this is always going to create a shitstorm, which is great for views, so a lot of people are going to cover it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom