Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
So guys, what's the rough consensus?

I noticed it didn't do too well in the GOTY poll.

Still buggy, but as a game, oscillates between moments of sheer brilliance (most of its main quest-line, the graphics, the city itself), some good stuff (the very Deus Ex variety with which you can tackle side-missions), moments of mediocrity (its skills, combat, and loot and crafting system), and some bad stuff (the reliance on formulaic filler content for 80% of its side-missions and open world tasks, the open world NPC and Cop AI, the horrible driving physics).

Right now it's a solid 3/5 star game, on average, with the possibility to move up to a 4/5 star game if CDPR fixes the bugs, fixes the open world AI, and releases some additional DLC content that adds more varied side missions and/or introduces more procedural systems for the game's open world.

TLDR: If you liked Witcher 3, you'll probably like this. However, unless you have a burning desire to play it right now, it's worth waiting to buy. The main missions are wonderful, but they don't have much replay value. There are also bugs, so it'd probably be best to wait for all the DLC to release and bugs to be fixed, then just play it all in one go.

Turjan

Arcane
Edit: Scratch that, disabling Crash Reporter.exe stops the popup asking you to send the damn thing, but the game still writes a crash report. So, really, you're better off leaving Crash Reporter.exe as it is, so you know when your hard drive's getting littered, and instead quitting the game via Task Manager if you have the same problem that I do.

By the way, I found the folder, it's AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue, and yes, you will want to clear it if you experience regular crashes.

Fuck's sake, CDPR, I just wanna pimp my ride. :negative:
Hmm, just looked this up. I've got two reports in there, one from 12/13/2020 and one from 01/17/2021. The log file claims it successfully deleted the first crash report from 12/13, because it's set to automatically delete every crash report that's older than 30 days. Obviously, this claim is in error. Seems like a bug.

Also, the first report couldn't be delivered because their server noped out from "too many requests" :D.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
CDPR should not have released the game on PS4 and XBOX.

I keep hearing this and it is a sign of denial, reasoning. "B-but maybe if they dropped this version the game would be better".

Look, this is what you can play on consoles, so don't tell me CP2077 can't be:

RDR2 doesn't have the same urban density or verticality that Cyberpunk does.

Saint Denis. Or we can compare it to Watch Dogs Legion. Or Spider-Man on PS4... Or Fallout 4.

Also let's not forget Marcin Iwiński held a press conference about Cyberpunk 2077 somewhere in 2012 a year at least before PS4 or Xbox One were officially launched.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
"The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that's just me."

I wish I had known William Gibson said this weeks ago when I got into an argument with a bunch of shills for saying the cyberpunk in CP 2077 is shallow at best. It would have been perfect, because they were using a Wikipedia definition that had part of a Gibson quote. They told me he is the authority on the subject and locked my thread. Would have been perfect.
The best part is all the fanboys in the comments: "Yeah but CDPR!!!!!!!!"
Poor fools.

Gargaune

Magister
Hmm, just looked this up. I've got two reports in there, one from 12/13/2020 and one from 01/17/2021. The log file claims it successfully deleted the first crash report from 12/13, because it's set to automatically delete every crash report that's older than 30 days. Obviously, this claim is in error. Seems like a bug.

Also, the first report couldn't be delivered because their server noped out from "too many requests" :D.
Quoted the wrong guy there. Where did you find the 30-day config for the reporter?

I noticed that Cyber Engine Tweaks supplies a global.ini for the executable directory that also includes a DisableCrashDumps flag, but enabling it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think there are some things that would definitely be better if they didn't target one uniform build for all consoles + PC. For example, the NPCs just despawning instantly the moment you look away is one. On PC there is basically zero performance impact from NPCs and this wouldn't be necessary at all, but on console that's clearly not the case. So the world would be less silly in that sense... but that's really trivial stuff tbh, while it would be nice for it to not be that way, the real problems with the game are not that, and have much more to do with "this is a game 2 years out from release" than "the hardware can't handle it".

Turjan

Arcane

Quoted the wrong guy there. Where did you find the 30-day config for the reporter?

I noticed that Cyber Engine Tweaks supplies a global.ini for the executable directory that also includes a DisableCrashDumps flag, but enabling it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Oops, sorry for that.

The CrashReporter.log file claims that. Here an excerpt:

01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Looking for old reports to clean. Storage period is set to 30 days.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Total report count: 2.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Old reports to delete: 1.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deleting report: C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue\Cyberpunk2077-20201213-....
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Age: 35.17:00:28.4410137
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deletion succeeded.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Cleanup finished.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Preparation.ReportCreator|Report creator has been invoked.

The "deleted" report is still there.

KVVRR

Learned

I keep hearing this and it is a sign of denial, reasoning. "B-but maybe if they dropped this version the game would be better".

Saint Denis. Or we can compare it to Watch Dogs Legion. Or Spider-Man on PS4... Or Fallout 4.

Also let's not forget Marcin Iwiński held a press conference about Cyberpunk 2077 somewhere in 2012 a year at least before PS4 or Xbox One were officially launched.

Saint Denis is more comparable to Night City's lowest suburbs than anything regarding the city itself to be honest. Yes there are lots of NPCs, but barely any horses going around besides yours and you can't really ever go even a quarter of the speed at which you can go in Cyberpunk.

Don't get me wrong, I think RDR2 looks fantastic, even better than Cyberpunk a lot of the time, but you can't really compare the two in terms of performance.
Especially when RDR2 is even more linear in almost every single aspect of the game than Cyberpunk :smug:

typical user

Arbiter

Saint Denis is more comparable to Night City's lowest suburbs than anything regarding the city itself to be honest. Yes there are lots of NPCs, but barely any horses going around besides yours and you can't really ever go even a quarter of the speed at which you can go in Cyberpunk.

Don't get me wrong, I think RDR2 looks fantastic, even better than Cyberpunk a lot of the time, but you can't really compare the two in terms of performance.
Especially when RDR2 is even more linear in almost every single aspect of the game than Cyberpunk :smug:

Sure, but I am annoyed by the fact I hear everyone saying consoles should've been dropped. There are different optimization techniques used to render vast amounts of data. RDR2 is a perfect example how you can have big, handcrafted world with very good performance. Also there aren't whole lot of cars in Night City compared to horses in Saint Denis. It's not about streaming when we talk about horse-speed being limited in towns, I have the game loaded on HDD and had no trouble no-cliping with a trainer. I was surprised the game would take 2 seconds to load the assets from the other side of the map when I teleported from New Austin to Annesburg. It's more so you won't run over pedestrians with your horse which is questionable design choice but not related to technical aspects rather than user experience.

Rockstar did show they can make non-linear games, like they made shopkeepers remember the last time you robbed them, or people react differently based on your honor, or have various of elements of story change around your decisions. You essentially have 2 sets of missions for... Well that's a spoiler. Rockstar chose linear cinematic experience which does get annoying at times but is so awesome to replay. I just love that mission where you and Micah shoot up entire town. I don't mind it doesn't allow me to sneak around when the narrative is set up for a shootout. Cyberpunk 2077 promised a lot of things and they are underwhelming.

I do not trash the game, I am deeply disappointed I compare and criticize the stuff so everyone is aware the game is not just T-poses, low framerate and object popping. I've told my friends to stay away from this game until developers fix it to somewhat enjoyable level.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Today, I got my 499SEK back from these guys. Got an email about it. and when I checked my PayPal account, it was there. Can only wait for them to send me a parcel to send them the game back.

Gargaune

Magister
Oops, sorry for that.

The CrashReporter.log file claims that. Here an excerpt:

01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Looking for old reports to clean. Storage period is set to 30 days.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Total report count: 2.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Old reports to delete: 1.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deleting report: C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue\Cyberpunk2077-20201213-....
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Age: 35.17:00:28.4410137
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deletion succeeded.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Cleanup finished.
01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Preparation.ReportCreator|Report creator has been invoked.

The "deleted" report is still there.
Oh, right, thought there might be a config file I could set the expiry date to 1 day in. Ah well, Task Manager it is.

"The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that's just me."

I wish I had known William Gibson said this weeks ago when I got into an argument with a bunch of shills for saying the cyberpunk in CP 2077 is shallow at best. It would have been perfect, because they were using a Wikipedia definition that had part of a Gibson quote. They told me he is the authority on the subject and locked my thread. Would have been perfect.

..but it's true..... and I still can't believe that this "RPG" (LMAO) doesn't have a speech check system.

Old Hans

Arcane
Sure, but I am annoyed by the fact I hear everyone saying consoles should've been dropped. There are different optimization techniques used to render vast amounts of data. RDR2 is a perfect example how you can have big, handcrafted world with very good performance. Also there aren't whole lot of cars in Night City compared to horses in Saint Denis. It's not about streaming when we talk about horse-speed being limited in towns, I have the game loaded on HDD and had no trouble no-cliping with a trainer. I was surprised the game would take 2 seconds to load the assets from the other side of the map when I teleported from New Austin to Annesburg. It's more so you won't run over pedestrians with your horse which is questionable design choice but not related to technical aspects rather than user experience.

Rockstar did show they can make non-linear games, like they made shopkeepers remember the last time you robbed them, or people react differently based on your honor, or have various of elements of story change around your decisions. You essentially have 2 sets of missions for... Well that's a spoiler. Rockstar chose linear cinematic experience which does get annoying at times but is so awesome to replay. I just love that mission where you and Micah shoot up entire town. I don't mind it doesn't allow me to sneak around when the narrative is set up for a shootout. Cyberpunk 2077 promised a lot of things and they are underwhelming.

I do not trash the game, I am deeply disappointed I compare and criticize the stuff so everyone is aware the game is not just T-poses, low framerate and object popping. I've told my friends to stay away from this game until developers fix it to somewhat enjoyable level.

it really comes down to the people working on the game. A team like Rockstar know all the tricks of the trade. meanwhile CDPR is like "lets just have police teleport behind the player"

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

EB1.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
Well it can but CDPR had to go 180 in their 3d art production pipeline (as in, if they have one) and rely on shaders and async compute code magic, essentially alienating Nvidia hardware. RDR2 on PC did that and now has a (bullshit) reputation of rushed unoptimized mess. Still, it'd be cinematic experience somewhere around 24 fps in night city WITH such approach on PS4/XBOX.

One early quest and options to skip some other quests - does not count. Cyberpunk is the same rollercoaster, albeit more akin to The Outer Worlds in its quest design (which in current year now considered groundbreaking, what the fuck?!).

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
Well it can but CDPR had to go 180 in their 3d art production pipeline (as in, if they have one) and rely on shaders and async compute code magic, essentially alienating Nvidia hardware. RDR2 on PC did that and now has a (bullshit) reputation of rushed unoptimized mess. Still, it'd be cinematic experience somewhere around 24 fps in night city WITH such approach on PS4/XBOX.

One early quest and options to skip some other quests - does not count. Cyberpunk is the same rollercoaster, albeit more akin to The Outer Worlds in its quest design (which in current year now considered groundbreaking, what the fuck?!).
I wasn't implying that Cyberpunk is abundant with c&c but that Red Dead might as well be a movie for how on rails it is, not only with the player choices or whatever but also with the mission desing itself

Paul_cz

Arcane

Completely different games with different design goals. But also, Rockstar had 400 people just in their QA department alone. CD Projekt had 500 in their entire team (and started in 2016 with 240).

Of course, that does not really excuse CDP. They bit off more than they could chew, they should have either made smaller, less ambitious/more sparse game, or make it nextgen and PC only. But everyone's a fucking general after the battle.

I've just found out that the reflections, or at least some of them, aren't real.

In the Dewdrop netrunner store, the glass isn't reflecting the poster that's being displayed, it's a different one.

If someone needs proof I have a couple of screens I can up.

.....Just Fuck this game.

Zeriel

Arcane
I thought it was common knowledge that reflections don't exist. That's why they make you "turn on" the mirrors to show the player. I guess people assumed that only applied to the player? But I certainly wouldn't have bet on that.

KK1001

Arbiter
The HORRIBLE:
- AI
- Open world reactivity: cops, gangs, wanted
- Bugs
- Difficulty (there is literally none; very hard = normal)
- Itemization
- Driving
- Bosses, encounter design
- Stealth, hacking - both too easy, both break the game wide open

The bad
- Lazy, copy-pasted filler quests
- The skill and perk system
- Reactivity
- Level design, from a mechanical or gameplay perspective
- V being simultaneously edgy hard-ass in over his/her head while also being pulled to be X or Y of player choice. Medium that makes no one happy.

The okay and the good
- The story
- gun animation, shooty feel
- quest breadcrumbs, messages

The great:
- Photo mode and playing dress-up
- muh immersuhn
- city design (sans train obv)
- sound design, character design, music
- art direction and visual design, lighting
- atmosphere, main quest talky shit

You can tell which parts of the game were worked on for 5~ years and which were thrown together in the past 20 months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom