Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Readher

Savant
Why don’t they just run your on a computer? It seemed the old Arasaka guy ran on computer just fine and ony needed to steal his son’s body for legal reasons. Why even transfer into flesh when you can run safely on soe server and have dozen robot bodies controled by WiFi?
For a game with transhumanist themes, the devs surely are uninformed about what makes trasnhumanists hard.
You do run on a computer though. Your mind is transferred to Mikoshi which is where Saburo's mind was being kept as well before they transferred him to Yorinobu's body. As for why you'd want to transfer back into an actual body, I guess it's to feel that actual control you have as a human? You know, being able to feel, touch and all that.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the UI is something to behold, just my 2 eurocents:

1) Menus, inventory etc. is the same kind of Eldritch maze as before, except it's even worse this time. It's like navigating in the Overlook Hotel. I'm relying on muscle memory from Witcher 3 and I still to have to stumble several times through the menus to get what I want (or not). On top of that the controls are just arcane, there's no option to remap/see them in "controls" settings. I had to google how I can change the vehicle, after looking for garages, keys to the bike in the inventory, etc. only to learn that I have to press V button for several seconds. You have by default all those useless "hints" on screen all the time, like R IS FOR RELOAD, and they didn't bother to give even one line to communicate that. Maybe I'm a dumbfuck and missed something, but the fact that after one hour you can't intuitively navigate through the game is a sign there's something wrong.

2) UI and general graphics during gameplay is an absolute clusterfuck. There is so much shit on your screen you don't know what to look at, either in terms of UI which is all over the place in different colors, or in-game environment with dozens of sources of light all over the place. I literally paused a couple of times only to close my eyes and think what the fuck is going on there. Bonus points for throwing almost all of the cancerous trends like Motion Blur, "cinematic" film grain effect etc., only shy of black bars. The epilepsy warning isn't played for laughs. This game would literally erase Kurt Eichenwald's psyche, so I guess there's at least one positive.

3) I have a screen that is covering the majority of my vision, and yet I feel like I'm playing Torment on a 5 inches iPhone. All of the background infodumps like TVs in elevators, NPCs conversations etc. have this tiny ass font, that I have to lean and squint to see clearly. Sometimes there are 2 conversations going at the same time on top of other things like distorted electronic music, so it's not like you can 100% do without it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Yeah the UI is pretty terrible especially the inventory screen. I hate that it turns on and off when you move items and the stash is the worst where the hell is the transfer all button.
Meanwhile Squirrel over here has a working inventory system with auto sorting and search functionality that I wrote in under 10 mins. There really is no excuse especially when I can make a better one that fast. Mine even has box selections as well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gotta go to bed, but I started over as a nomad assault rifle guy and here's a few thoughts:

• Nomad opening is a way better and more interesting intro to the game than the corpo one, though they're both so short it doesn't really matter much.
  • Assault rifle standard shit works exactly as you'd expect and feels better for the game, though it's also, as you'd expect, kind of boring and simplistic. Shotguns use a different skill tree which is annoying.
  • Male and female V have interesting differences in how they talk and relate to people like Jackie. Nothing major, but the difference between saying something like "yeah bro I'm on it" versus "okay Jackie, I'll look into it." Not a big deal but bigger games usually have identical scripts.

Game in general after more hours... eh, it's trying to be an open world Deus Ex but suffers from a mix of typical open world issues (generic content, less well designed areas) and Witcher 3 issues (too much randomized loot bullshit, follow the marker quest design). Not terrible by any means, but not special either outside of its visuals and style.

Curratum

Played half an hour on a pirated copy.

Never in my 30 years of playing games have I seen a game where the car controls / handling / acceleration / braking / camera were so terrible.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This game seems to be very polarising even on Reddit. I expected universal praise from the masses but damn.
Regardless, I'm much more interested in Deathloop and Elden Ring than this. At the very least, this game dies run on a 770gtx. Just an FYI in case anyone's curious.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
This game seems to be very polarising even on Reddit. I expected universal praise from the masses but damn.
Regardless, I'm much more interested in Deathloop and Elden Ring than this. At the very least, this game dies run on a 770gtx. Just an FYI in case anyone's curious.

If you wanna see an endless cycle of black people killing each other watch a documentary about African tribal warfare.

Readher

Savant
The official Cyberpunk 2077 subreddit is interesting right now. Before the release it was basically a cult, now it's mostly pissed off people.
That's what you get when the dev/publisher releases very limited footage and promises a lot and you also ban pre-launch footage because "muh spoilers" and because mods suck CDPR's dick and fear DMCA.

First cope is lifepaths, then it's going to be dialogue, next come romances (literally 1 straight and 1 homo per gender, for a total of 4) and the final nail to the coffin are going to be endings. I've seen them all, and the seething will be glorious. I'm one of the (what I think will be) few people who's actually happy with one of them, but I can see vast majority of people being angry as hell.

Naraya

Arcane
I know I'm going to be burnt alive for this but I actually had great experience with playing CP77 on GeForce NOW (FREE version). It performs a lot better than on my old trusty 1060 6GB + 8GB RAM + i5-3570k. I was disappointed that my 1060, which is a RECOMMENDED card for playing in 1080p, never went above ~35fps.

GF Now fixed that (playing GOG version). I'm sure paid version would look stunning and I actually might bite the bullet and pay 25 potatoes for a month.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hey guys, maybe this will clarify the situation with system requirements? :lol:

Same shit happened with Skyrim which couldn't even use 2 threads at launch. Compiled without optimization flags..

What does that mean?

Most, if not all, of the optimization are typically performed by compilers. To put it simply, a compiler is a program that can turn code into something a computer can understand. Bethesda, for whatever reason (incompetent/lazy/overlooking?) compiled Skyrim without optimizations enabled.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Those are some Advanced moves:

I HAD NO IDEA THEY ADDED GUN KATA!
ReMRAx.gif

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Guys, CDPR finally de-crowned Bethesda!

They actually cut all the original classes and instead merged them into a single uninteresting class. The game even still has the nerve to call characters by their classes yet V never gets called by theirs unless apart of their lifepath but it has no bearing on their chosen skills.
Originally the game wasn't going to do that and Pondsmith was on record stating a build exists where the game had all of the original CP2020 classes intact. We'll likely never see that build but it does allegedly exist. Obvious CDProjekt couldn't handle it and so they just gave up. To be fair to them though they did pick one hell of a PnP RPG to base a game on its just people expected them to be a bit better at it than what they ended up doing and for that alone it is a massive waste of potential. This really could've been the game we were waiting for but alas it fell into the usual trap of AAA development. What a shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom