Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
They'll start to imitate themselves. It happens to all of them.

Gargaune

Magister
only reason I see for cdpr to actually fix this game is they would need those improvements for their next title anyway.
CDPR emulated Bioware for the The Witcher II, Bethesda Softworks Elder Scrolls for The Witcher III, and Grand Theft Auto for Cyberpunk 2077. Assuming they continue to chase what they perceive as the latest best-selling trend in gaming, it's interesting to consider what model they would select for their next game, from the perspective of 2020/2021. :M
What do you mean? The Witcher 3 was structurally most closely related to GTA V, and Cyberpunk 2077 just tried to carry on with that model. TW3 has next to no DNA in common with Bethesda Game™, though CBP might've really benefited from some.

Semiurge

Cipher
Also now you know why Marcin every year looks worse. Reason behind his ghoulification is veganism. No vegan can be anything but centre-left, and that's far right of veganism. If you think these things, like people behind games, are unimportant and trivial, I can only say: enjoy future of gaming :D

When you're right you're right. How many vegans with right-leaning beliefs could anyone here name? None, because there are no sensible reasons for veganism. We are built to be omnivores - we have the stomach of carnivores and the long gastrointestinal tract of herbivores. Only the production of meat products can be unethical, not consuming meat itself, but I doubt anyone could convince the garden variety vegan to start consuming responsibly produced meat. They're in too deep in their religious lifestyles. When man looks at an animal meant for consumption and sees the animal as a "person" with feelings, man has taken the first step on the road to extinction. Meat made us smart and strong, but it seems that the mistake was that hunters were predominantly male - now anything traditionally male is abhorred and alternatives to "male culture" and "male-created sciences" are being sought desperately.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not a great game by any means but the length some people will go to criticize this decent game is just flabbergasting.

It's as I said a while back - prior to the game's release, hype was the done thing; after its release, dissing the game became the done thing. Both are attempts to sustain social standing, to be in with the in crowd (or to get attention on social media).

It's interesting now, having played both Elex and this. Elex absolutely shits all over this as an RPG, but the digital puppetry and story in this are better. Both games have questionable design decisions and things that pull you out of immersion now and then, and both games have things that give you a deep sense of being there at times too. Elex is more game than cinematic experience, but it has cinematic moments; this is more cinematic experience than game, but it has some fun gaming moments too.

Every now and then I get a hankering to revisit Night City, it's really the star of the show in many ways (if only it were more responsive, if only, if only .... ). It coulda been a contender - and in some ways it's not that far off. I'm sure it'll be fine in a year or so. Witcher 3 has had a long life, I think this will too, eventually.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
I mean... I get it in a way. But on the other hand, who gives a shit?
The devs themselves? If CDPR didn't want to sell people on cyberpunk GTA, this would have been nu-Deus Ex instead. Yet it isn't.

exactly, the devs themselves used the "immersion" buzzword during every interview and how important that aspect is to them. according to cdpr that was the whole reasonbwhy they chose a first person perspective instead of third person. it's just that there is no immersion if all you have to do is shoot in the air and turn around to make a crowd magically disappear. same thing with the nonexistent traffic ai, it just pulls you out of the game and makes the world feel artificial.

When you're right you're right. How many vegans with right-leaning beliefs could anyone here name? None

i know a certain right leaning person who falls into that category

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler_and_vegetarianism

Reader

Scholar
It's not a great game by any means but the length some people will go to criticize this decent game is just flabbergasting.
Well maybe if CDPR said something like "we're going to make some cyberpunkish game. Nothing great mind you, pew pew shooter with lootz meets Gibsonesque fanfic, we just hope it will be decent".
But no.
They were all like "RPG! Tabletop origin!! Multiple everything!!! Did we say it's R! P! G! For reals!!"

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
This was done a lot in Bloodlines with the player's actions being reflected in newspapers and the TV news. Any other examples?
Y this one is after you steal the Militech tank

Peralez wins the election (If you told him about the mind control he wins only with 3 % lead and if you dont tell him he wins with much higher lead)

Sinnerman braindance

Main mission with shooting down kang tao Av

There is plenty more but I dont see it on jewtube.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
^ this stuff is slightly better than effin F4's Nuka World commentary and overall has nothing on that, NW has faction within faction and you can get all of them mad at an instant.
Compare that instant with the "way out" from Voodoo boy installation if you had them 'fried.
Events:
1.walk in the park
2.Johhny butts in, boohoo glitchy screen
This game trying to capitalize on ray tracing is backfiring spectacularly.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Thinking back on the game after a few months:

I'm still surprised that there was no synthesis ending where the player character and Johnny just merge their memories and become something or some one new.

I totally thought that option to merge the Taxi Cab AI offspring with the main AI instead of killing one or the other was a hinting as that being a possibility.

Maybe cut content, free dlc, or paid expansion I guess. Or some combo of that I suppose.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
DPR emulated Bioware for the The Witcher II, Bethesda Softworks Elder Scrolls for The Witcher III, and Grand Theft Auto for Cyberpunk 2077.
Il give you Bioware for Witcher 2 since they even made trailer like this :lol:

For witcher 3 they emulated red dead redemption and the "dad" games that were all the rage in that time shit like The walking dead season 1, the last of us etc.

TheMathmos

Literate
God, imagine if this game truly was Gibsonesque fanfic, rather than whatever abomination of a PnP campaign setting they decided to go with :
  • Grounded street-level characters concerned with their atomised hustle and survival, not becoming "legends"
  • Corporations as towering, distant abstractions, felt through money flows and culture
  • Short tense scenes of lethal violence using improvised or unconventional weaponry
  • Ocean's Eleven-like nitty-gritty of planning and teaming up for some criminal operations (expanding the lead-up to the Heist for ex.)
  • Everyone is morally grey and a drug addict
Instead we got guitar-wielding Johnny Silverhand, the tackiest most lame-ass dad-jeans concept ever written or voiced, fighting supervillain Japanese Borg Cubes.

Zer0wing

Cipher
This game has less depth and less immersive than similar to CP2077 in many ways Mafia II, decade older overhyped blunder with massive budget and as massive content cuts. 314 millions well spent.

Terenty

Liturgist
Some ppl here are seriously suffering from fish memory or stockholm syndrome. It was CDPR who pandered hard to the gta crowd leading up to the release of the game.

Watch their cars trailer and gameplay trailer where they advertised how you can spend your money and free time blah blah gta style, showing the fucking intro montage as if it was gameplay.

And then the cherry on top "Welcome to the next gen of open world adventure".

You can't make that shit up lmao

Zer0wing

Cipher
Maybe cut content, free dlc, or paid expansion I guess. Or some combo of that I suppose.
Never gonna happen because those mythical Witcher 1-2 (I don't see anything early Witcher games in CP2077s writing) writers are just a bunch of depressed fucks who hate happy endings and think that depriving the player from achieving their goal story-wise is genious writing.

Never gonna happen because those mythical Witcher 1-2 (I don't see anything early Witcher games in CP2077s writing) writers are just a bunch of depressed fucks who hate happy endings and think that depriving the player from achieving their goal story-wise is genious writing.
Have you met many Poles?

iu

Codex Year of the Donut
Some ppl here are seriously suffering from fish memory or stockholm syndrome. It was CDPR who pandered hard to the gta crowd leading up to the release of the game.

Watch their cars trailer and gameplay trailer where they advertised how you can spend your money and free time blah blah gta style, showing the fucking intro montage as if it was gameplay.

I distinctly remember pointing out that cp2077 was going to be a shitty gta clone and not an RPG and the codex having an aneurysm over it
they were always detached from reality

Codex Year of the Donut

I distinctly remember pointing out that cp2077 was going to be a shitty gta clone and not an RPG and the codex having an aneurysm over it
they were always detached from reality
Yeah, CP2020 has like 10 dedicated social skills(interrogation, persuasion, streetwise, etc.) CP2077 has none as far as i know.

Wait there's no social skill at all? Nothing even like basic ass speech ?
Why would there be? It's not an RPG.
Did GTA5 have social skills?

ashamed of their non-RPG, hides it from the world, repeatedly delays it, dangles Keanu Reeves infront of peoples' faces so they forget to ask about gameplay footage
Kinda blows my mind there are morons on codex that think CDP didn't release enough gameplay footage.
I mean, is all this shit really not enough? Are you fucking kidding me?

You can like it or dislike it but bitching about no footage...CDP is publishing way more stuff than they should, if anything.

0->2:13: Cutscene, couple dialogue options.
2:13->2:58: Driving a car.
2:58->4:50: FPS gameplay
4:50->5:28: Driving a car.
5:28->8:50: Cutscene, couple of dialogue options.
8:50->10:36: Boxing minigame from twitcha
10:36->12:30: Cutscene
12:30->12:55: Walking through a bar
12:55->13:18: Driving a car.
13:18->17:03: Cutscenes, couple of dialogue options.
17:03->17:52: Cutscenes while someone else drives a car.
17:52->19:23: FPS gameplay

Nice "RPG". Nice "gameplay" footage.

Infinitron can you move this to the proper subforum please? Maybe the public library one is a good fit for interactive movies.

Reminder that this game would have near zero defenders if CDPR was located in France. They defend it entirely because it's eastern european, that's their only qualification for whether it's good or not. They love tranny clownworld cutscene simulators as long as it's made by eastern yuros.

don't say I didn't warn you

Zer0wing

Cipher
Have you met many Poles?
I didn't made myself clear enough then. Devs have been stuck in loop with this "This game is not about saving the world, it's about saving yourself and that's what real Cyberpunk is!" from 2012 up until the game's release but the story, when it's time to wrap things up, says FUCK YOU, SPIKE DIES, BE DEPRESSED! Even though main protagonist goes above and beyond to save himself, even at the expence of other peoples life. I'd be okay with decent enough ending would be very hard to achieve, being a secret ending even. But at least being there. For all shit David Cage gets (rightly so), at least Detroit: Become Human does have nearly unachievable ending that concludes the story better than non-secret ones.

Last edited:
Have you met many Poles?
I didn't made myself clear enough then. Devs have been stuck in loop with this "This game is not about saving the world, it's about saving yourself and that's what real Cyberpunk is!" from 2012 up until the game's release but the story, when it's time to wrap things up, says FUCK YOU, SPIKE DIES, BE DEPRESSED! Even though main protagonist goes above and beyond to save himself, even at the expence of other peoples life. I'd be okay with decent enough ending would be very hard to achieve, being a secret ending even. But at least being there.

Again, have you met many poles?

000864FLHB73TX76-C122-F4.jpg

copebot

Learned
witcher books aren't very well written, the cdpr writers did a much better job

I liked the witcher short story collections quite well. The witcher novels are actually not that great, so I'd agree with you there.

The novels are straight up bad by the standards of commercial fantasy fiction. They certainly go on for way too long. The short stories are indeed pretty good. CDPR spun a mediocre and derivative license into gold. They also made Ciri, who is annoying and thoroughly unsympathetic in the novels, into a compelling character. If they had ported book Ciri into the Witcher 3 faithfully, it probably would have been considered a failed game. Not even the Netflix series had the balls (for FEMINISM) to adapt book Ciri.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Again, have you met many poles?

I second this.

In Poland, don't ever try to strike up a conversation with a stranger, unless you're very old, a very hot woman or a gigachad. Don't EVER smile at people, you must look miserable and annoyed. If you've been successful in life, you likely took advantage of people and you suck. Don't ever act as if you're satisfied with yourself, you're mediocre and definitely don't deserve it.

Think you have what it takes to be a Polack? Call 1-800-MARYJA and find out!

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I dont get why ppl still cling on to this pile of shit and can't move on.

i can only speak for myself but if you're a cyberpunk autist like me who has been dreaming for an AAA open world cyberpunk game that's true to the genre for all his life this game is all we have

Mankind Divided is not open-world open-world and it's not flawless but it is AAA, it's well written, looks gorgeous and is 10x better as an RPG than CP.

I'm sorry but the two Deus Ex sequels were fucking trash. I liked the first one but subsequent playthroughs have me realizing it is really just awful. And the second was bad from the start. They completely missed the point of DX and instead of cool-guy, millennial flavored conspiracy theorizing and one-liners we got poorly written Canadian political propaganda complete with interracial gangs in Detroit. Oh, then we move to Prague for some reason, with shoe-horned in references to the Illuminati (again, they missed the fucking point).

Also the combat was easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom