Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

typical user

Arbiter
What is an RPG?

A game that has you pick different stats, a backstory if multiple available and gives you set of challenges that can be beaten in different ways depending on stats/background you picked at the beginning. That's how it works in table-top.

CP2077 has that although it never felt like optional paths were closed to you or needed heavy investment in any of the available skills. So that's the shitty part.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Hah, even the summery on Steam says nothing about RPG.

VIRG7n3.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
yeah at best you enter same room but from different entrance. Low enemy lethality is an issue paired with low skill impact? Try to go for environment interaction skills and you will still wreck everyone.

If you allow hacking wizardry through walls at least give tougher enemies some counter measures to that

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
with slightly less shit writing.
That's debatable.

Bioware writing is trash and worse than CDPR except for maybe the first Mass Effect and KOTOR but those were simply hero stories. What video game even has good writing though?

Just a couple - Witchers, PST, Alpha Protocol, Kingdom Come, Deus Ex and nuDX, Wizardry 7, old LucasArts adventures. 98% of videogame writing has always been embarrassing garbage tho.

Gargaune

Magister
It seems to me that the original vision was ruined due trying to make the game multiplayer instead of focusing on what they knew. They saw the success of GTA online and wanted to replicate it, but didnt have experience in making multiplayer games. Add to it that bunch of talent left and was replaced by diversity hires and you had a recipe for disaster.
That might be an interesting topic. My theory is that a lot of the design problems stem from copying TW3 systems without recognising and adapting where they wouldn't fit CBP's structure and content, but you're right that there's probably a lot of multiplayer-oriented decline as well. I just don't know much about the multiplayer scene anymore, last I played was UT a few years ago. Over virtual LAN. With one friend.

They got OMGTITS. That's enough motivation for most of their simp audience.
So don'tcha say, "I'm smart and have the kindest heart"
Or, "What a wonderful sister I'd be"
Just tell me, how you like my personality!
Baby, you've got the cutest personality

It is an RPG although a shitty one.
There's a tendency on the Codex to assume that only good RPGs are RPGs.

GloomFrost

Arcane
That's debatable.

Bioware writing is trash and worse than CDPR except for maybe the first Mass Effect and KOTOR but those were simply hero stories. What video game even has good writing though?

Just a couple - Witchers, PST, Alpha Protocol, Kingdom Come, Deus Ex and nuDX, Wizardry 7, old LucasArts adventures. 98% of videogame writing has always been embarrassing garbage tho.
You are right BUT to be fair also KOTOR 2, MOTB, New Vegas, Icewind Dale, Vampires, Arcanum, Sunless sea/sky, Disco Elysium, Banner saga, Anachronox, Spellforce 3 and expansions, Dragonfall, Dead State. Age of Decadence, Underail, Undying, Sanitarium, Dark sun, Darklands.

Sad He-Man

Educated
That's debatable.

You are right BUT to be fair also KOTOR 2, MOTB, New Vegas, Icewind Dale, Vampires, Arcanum, Sunless sea/sky, Disco Elysium, Banner saga, Anachronox, Spellforce 3 and expansions, Dragonfall, Dead State. Age of Decadence, Underail, Undying, Sanitarium, Dark sun, Darklands.

I truly appreciate the passive-aggressive full stop after Dead State.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Truth be told, i downloaded it again to try and see if it has been optimized, and to my surprise, it runs quite fluidly now on my way below specced PC. FX-6300, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 with 2GB VRAM. On low setting at 1080p, i get fluid gameplay with no lags at all even in combat/driving. Not that bad, it is definitely playable and enjoyable, i didn't measure fps but i felt it was in the 35-40fps and higher range.

Not bad, i suppose this should be able to run on past gen consoles as well these days. I will play it and give you the scientific answer to "is it any gud" after i finish it. Though the beginning is crap, not immersive at all. Not feeling anything for the protagonists or the story.

GloomFrost

Arcane
That's debatable.

I truly appreciate the passive-aggressive full stop after Dead State.
Ha ha. Well you know it wasn't easy to remember any good written games so I really had to scratch bottom of a barrel :).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So, i played a few more hours of this pile of shit. Couldn't stand it anymore, deleted it from disk,i won't be torrenting it again, ever. To be fair, i didn't notice any bugs in 1.22 version. It was not the bugs that was the problem. The problems with this shit are:

1) It is fucking boring. It never captivates the player's attention at any point. Totally non-immersive experience, in a game that is supposedly trying to be immersive. It throws you harshly unto a story you don't care for, with characters you don't care for, and you have no reason to care. Nothing is fleshed out or explained, and dialogues don't matter in the slightest.

2) It has one of the worst interfaces i have ever used in a PC game. Even the original Dark Souls port was better. Attempting to use the inventory or browse the journal is a chore. I just couldn't believe it, don't they have underpaid high school kids beta testing this shit? No one complained?

3) It is no RPG at all. Not even in the slightest. It is a disgrace and a testament to the power of polish shills that this thread still resides in the general rpg section.

4) The open world is a joke. Most buildings don't matter, they are just big blocks, it is all like GTA. The map is not enjoyable to explore, too complicated, even driving is shit, with mapping not working properly so you get confused on where to drive in that shithole to get to the fucking missions. I spent around 3 hours in that shit game, and 1 was driving in a an empty road listening to shit music.

5) The dialogue is garbage. It is not fleshed out and it is hard to make out what is actually going on. Oftentimes i got confused. This is the first time it happens to me in a game like this. I understood every word, i just lost the flow of the conversation. Too much edgyness, but not enough clarity or direction. It was dialogue written by 12 year olds for 12 year olds.

6) The AI is a joke. Literally a joke. Before quitting, i got into the mission you are supposed to buy a fucking bot from some cretin gang. I met the millitech bitch first and she gave me a credit chip to pay for it. I gave those morons the credit chip and then millitech showed up to kill them. I tried really hard to find out from where would i leave, and after that i thought that millitech would leave me alone, as i was in agreement with them. The AI never shot me for the first few rooms. So i supposed i wasn't a target. Then suddenly 2 mechas and some soldiers shot at me, and i realised that they were enemies of me, and i was confused as to why, didn't i make a deal with the bitch? Nothing was explained, dialogues were short and without detail. I just deleted the game at this point because i realised that the AI is so bad that left me the impression i wasn't a target, while i was walking in front of them millitech guys. I mean, what the fuck?

7) Gunplay is garbage tier and the controls are rubbish

Seriously, how the fuck did this game get such a metascore? Look, i am not a crpg edgy moron, shouting "not a tru rpgggggggggggggggggg" and crying like a bitch. I can play GTA if it is well made. This game is NOT well made, it is not even mediocre. It is badly designed by amateurs, it is pretty clear the original Witcher 3 team was long gone when this pile of garbage entered true development. All in all i am shocked, if i had paid for this pile of garbage i would be pissed off. There is a reason i torrent games before buying them and i stand by my stance on this. This game is bargain bin tier alongside mylittle pony games for the nintendo ds at the mart.

And one last thing, fucking polish shills on this forum: You badmouthed Bethesda for far too long, you fucks. You should show respect for Bethesda, even Fallout 76 is much better than this trash. Fallout 4 is a fucking masterpiece, and came out 5 years before Cyberpunk 2077. You with your big words, trashing a great developer, and we saw what you did deliver. Fallout 4 is to Cyberpunk 2077 what Zelda Ocarina of Time is to Superman 64, you fucks. Delete your accounts and never come back.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I liked the writing in act 1, i.e. everything without the Keanu Reeves character.

Keanu was fine but a non big name would have given them more flexibility. Who knows if the sales of the Keanu lie are more than a good CP with some character actor Johnny. Were the sales to normies worth it financially? Probably unfortunately

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
ITS NOT RPG IT'S A 2D SIDE SCROLLER

sjwfcpkmu5y61.png
Even with the disingenuous presentation to try and make it seem more impressive it still showcases the fatal flaw where almost every decision converges to the same point near the end of the current quests as to not complicate further quests.
Witcher 1 and 2 are somewhat the gold standard for C&C/branching narratives with these larger budget RPGs, you shouldn't defend them actively getting worse at what they're good at.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Even with the disingenuous presentation to try and make it seem more impressive it still showcases the fatal flaw where almost every decision converges to the same point near the end of the current quests as to not complicate further quests.
Witcher 1 and 2 are somewhat the gold standard for C&C/branching narratives with these larger budget RPGs, you shouldn't defend them actively getting worse at what they're good at.
In cyberpunk they put most efforts into the endings you have 4 different end missions and 5 unique epilouges in this regard they did better than in any Witcher game.

snoek

Cipher
The witcher 3 had better sidequests tho. If Cyberpunk had consistently been as good as the start of the game it would've been amazing. The sidequests are often filler/meh.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The witcher 3 had better sidequests tho. If Cyberpunk had consistently been as good as the start of the game it would've been amazing. The sidequests are often filler/meh.
Actual side quests like Panam storyline, River storyline, Judy storyline etc. are on par with witcher 3, gigs can sometimes feel like filler but they are some memorable ones too. I agree with you that there should be more quality side storylines each of the characters I mentioned could use a quest or two more.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
In cyberpunk they put most efforts into the endings you have 4 different end missions and 5 unique epilouges in this regard they did better than in any Witcher game.
Presenting a list of endings for the player to pick and choose after the point of no return with little to no relation to previous actions is cop-out design. It was lousy in Deus Ex and it's lousy here.
The exception being the friendship ending where it's just you and Johnny assaulting Arasaka Tower, trying to mimic the consequence of your relationship with Ciri in Witcher 3 except it's worse since players who didn't follow the script and are not friendly with Johnny get fuck all.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Presenting a list of endings for the player to pick and choose after the point of no return with little to no relation to previous actions is cop-out design. It was lousy in Deus Ex and it's lousy here.
The exception being the friendship ending where it's just you and Johnny assaulting Arasaka Tower, trying to mimic the consequence of your relationship with Ciri in Witcher 3 except it's worse since players who didn't follow the script and are not friendly with Johnny get fuck all.
Sure thing the problem is they are linked to ingame actions you have to finish Panams storyline to get Nomad ending, you have to finish Johnny questline to get his ending and you have to pick specific dialouge options to get secret ending the only endings you have available if you rush main story is Arasaka ending and suicide.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Sure thing the problem is they are linked to ingame actions you have to finish Panams storyline to get Nomad ending, you have to finish Johnny questline to get his ending and you have to pick specific dialouge options to get secret ending the only endings you have available if you rush main story is Arasaka ending and suicide.
with little to no relation to previous actions
Finishing questlines is not decision making. People are already conditioned to vacuum up and finish all the quests and missions for EXP and storylines, these endings are a participation trophy rather than a consequence of decisions you've made.
To clarify: I'm arguing that Cyberpunk is a poor RPG rather than not an RPG at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom