Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Presenting a list of endings for the player to pick and choose after the point of no return with little to no relation to previous actions is cop-out design.
It's extremely stupid. They should have had them being incompatible with one another to make replays more interesting. Like you either are pro-Arasaka and do the Arasaka ending, or you are anti-Arasaka and do the Rogue ending. Also, Panam's ending was sheer stupidity.

The only ending I like was Rogue's ending, but her motivation to help you was completely retarded.

Sure thing the problem is they are linked to ingame actions you have to finish Panams storyline to get Nomad ending, you have to finish Johnny questline to get his ending and you have to pick specific dialouge options to get secret ending the only endings you have available if you rush main story is Arasaka ending and suicide.

Except for the secret ending, none of the other endings depend on choices. You can do the questlines however you like and you will still get those endings. There is no choice except for completely abandoning the questlines in question.

Also, FUCK CDP for doing the secret ending in such an inane manner, and also it ending up being the exact same ending as the Rogue one except for Rogue being alive.

blachan

Novice
imagine marketing a game on how impactful your choices are and having the ending be a mass effect 3 esque red/blue/green choice wheel

Semiurge

Cipher
You need to have some narrative motivation for the player to do shit
They got OMGTITS. That's enough motivation for most of their simp audience. That's why they got so butthurt over Judy being a vagitarian, why they pretend to like Panam. Or maybe they do like her, she's pretty close to a twitch thot experience after all.. :hahano:

Game writers seem to like the idea of dangling a carrot in front of players, only to take it away. A carrot in the shape of perfect titties or romances. You have Bioware's cursed romances - the drama with Morrigan/Alistair, and Garrus/Tali who either give you anaphylaxis or you give it to them. And now the cutest (citation needed?) waifu in CP77 is a dyke. I guess it's edgy.

Gargaune

Magister
ITS NOT RPG IT'S A 2D SIDE SCROLLER

sjwfcpkmu5y61.png
I get what you're trying to say, but that schema looks better than it plays, there's a lot of insubstantial fluff in there. Take a closer look, you've got stuff like the choice between punching Fingers or having him available as a ripperdoc, which is altogether inconsequential. And then you've got nodes like "Accept Keys" or "Get On The Motorcycle" just padding the diagram. Flowcharts can make a lot of things look more "sophisticated" than they really are, here's one a guy made for Fallout 4 as a point of reference:

Quillon

Arcane
punching Fingers or having him available as a ripperdoc, which is altogether inconsequential

if you punch him you won't get his unique cyberwares ...unless you've already purchased them from him before, which in a normal playthrough you prolly shouldn't have

Gargaune

Magister
if you punch him you won't get his unique cyberwares ...unless you've already purchased them from him before, which in a normal playthrough you prolly shouldn't have
Huh, fair enough, I never checked his store. Wasn't too excited with the cyberware in the game.

typical user

Arbiter
I've expected a game with over $300 000 000 budget to actually have a shitton of unique quests with at least same quality of Witcher 3, not Fo4 copypasta but worse.

But CDPR had better idea, to hire Keanu, ASAP Rocky, Grimes, rent Times Square ads, get Xiaomi, Xbox, Old Spice collabs and put Twitch streamers into the game.

The only good thing was including Ozob but even that feels like fanservice done by edgy teenagers.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I even like Silverhand as a character, he's a violent sociopath but he's a compelling screen presence and he's funny.
Did they do anything to fix Keanu's face in any of the patches?

Eh? I didn't notice anything untoward other than the occasional moment you get in every game where the lighting on a face goes weird sometimes (the effect is similar to the other thing you often get in videogames, where you have hatted heads where there's no shade, but rather lighting under the brim, and it looks really janky).

Naraya

Arcane
I think he means the general look of JS face, especially his beard. It just looks bad, like artificial or something. Hard to put my finger on what's wrong with his face but there definitely is something off.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think he means the general look of JS face, especially his beard. It just looks bad, like artificial or something. Hard to put my finger on what's wrong with his face but there definitely is something off.
Yeah, I approached the game expecting a face like what I saw in the cinematic trailer, and was let down pretty bad when I saw something worse than the average quality of face models for story NPCs.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I've expected a game with over $300 000 000 budget to actually have a shitton of unique quests with at least same quality of Witcher 3, not Fo4 copypasta but worse.

But CDPR had better idea, to hire Keanu, ASAP Rocky, Grimes, rent Times Square ads, get Xiaomi, Xbox, Old Spice collabs and put Twitch streamers into the game.

The only good thing was including Ozob but even that feels like fanservice done by edgy teenagers.
Having those hires and collabs should not be an excuse either, game's development costed around 120.000.000$, existing engine to iterate upon(no one writes game engines from scratch not even Id Software after Quake engine and before IdTech 5), experienced staff eager to work on the game twice as much as on TW3 and Mike Pondsmith himself. So it should be at least three times more dense.
But for some reason they have to pressure some dude Max to work on level design above all other important shit - https://www.maxpears.com/2017/02/25/cyberpunk-2077/
Hell, even artists were pushed to do level design - https://quixel.com/blog/2020/12/10/building-the-dark-future-of-cyberpunk-2077-with-megascans

With predictable results.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Fuck the hatorz

Bro, I don't think that's gonna help much. All those moody night shots with the atmospheric music, all those vertical camera angles and stuff? Dunno about anyone else, but all I'm getting is a reminder of what I thought Cyberpunk was going to be. But it isn't, 'cause you don't really have much gameplay scope to explore it that way and take it in.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck the hatorz

They need to give us a reason to stay in the city. I can only RP in my mind so much. I want an excuse to go back to the map and be in the world

There is no Night City: it's just a bunch of lifeless assets thrown together. No systems, no simulation, no personality, no life. CP2077 is a complete failure and there is no coming back.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fuck the hatorz

They need to give us a reason to stay in the city. I can only RP in my mind so much. I want an excuse to go back to the map and be in the world

There is no Night City: it's just a bunch of lifeless assets thrown together. No systems, no simulation, no personality, no life. CP2077 is a complete failure and there is no coming back.

Eh, Night City definitely has a personality in terms of visuals and audio (both architecture and denizens), and a very strong one. It's beautifully designed in that sense.

But the rest is true. That's part of the problem, the apparent personality is so strong it invites you to try and interact with it, and then you're disappointed by the lack of interaction (other than combat ofc).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck the hatorz

Eh, Night City definitely has a personality in terms of visuals and audio (both architecture and denizens), and a very strong one. It's beautifully designed in that sense.

But the rest is true. That's part of the problem, the apparent personality is so strong it invites you to try and interact with it, and then you're disappointed by the lack of interaction (other than combat ofc).

First result on google:

Personality: The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.

You are confusing visuals with personality which cannot be evaluated without real "interaction".

I exaggerated when I said that CP2077 has no personality, even a piece of shit has some quantity of personality, but I'm not wrong when I say that the NightCity has no strong or specific personality.

Honestly what can you say about NightCity's atmosphere or personality? Besides some nice visuals there is almost nothing else to mention.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fuck the hatorz

First result on google:

Personality: The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.

You are confusing visuals with personality which cannot be evaluated without real "interaction".

I exaggerated when I said that CP2077 has no personality, even a piece of shit has some quantity of personality, but I'm not wrong when I say that the NightCity has no strong or specific personality.

Honestly what can you say about NightCity's atmosphere or personality? Besides some nice visuals there is almost nothing else to mention.

"As of character" - the personality in terms of character comes across in the art design and audio (the architecture, the way people are dressed, the way they talk, the adverts, the tannoy adverts). And again, that's the problem: the personality in that sense is actually interesting, so interesting that you walk up to it and want to interact with it. And that's when the disappointment sets in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom