Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher 3 was also an interactive movie but I think it had more significant story reactivity than Cyberpunk. In Cyberpunk, up until the end it seems to be mostly "avoid the fight or go through the fight".

One more factor working against Cyberpunk trying to emulate the Witcher 3 formula - the world, although smaller, feels more empty, because the expectations of interactivity are much greater. Not just because the game is based in a city, but also because most of your random encounters are with people. A trash combat with spawned ghouls/nekkers is one thing, but you expect more from a trash combat with members of one or another gang.

Codex Year of the Donut
GTA/RDR also uses a lot of scripted stuff, especially for car chases but they became subtler over the years. They come a long way since the last mission in San Andreas where that pink-not-mercedes was glued to the tarmac. That said having simulation systems regardless of special scripts for whatever is expected in games like these because of rockstar/bethesda, being an RPG is not an excuse just like it isn't/wasn't for clunky gameplay/combat when akshun RPGs were infamous for such.

That is from RDR2 their latest game. Moreover this is not some weird "fail" but standard along whole game. Same goes for GTA5. Also both GTA and RDR does not simulate anything. All of their "simulations" are scripted sequences. They get praised for "detail" but "detail" is pretty much what those games are because outside of that there isn't really anything.

Betsheda i think is the only one who at least tries to have some simulation like replacing NPC traders after killing them but still all of those are mostly heavily scripted not a result of some math equation bounded by design rules (what drives Dwarf Fortress).

As much as people shit on C77 for "scripting", none of C77 quests can end because you took wrong way or killed wrong npc. And despite scripting there is plenty of choice around when it comes to resolving situations including "failed" quest outcomes that feel like proper endings to quests. Case in point mentioned by me River quest where i didn't feel right to finish quest according to my character RP and in the end game aknowledged that in later River meeting where River described what he did after my choice to not involve myself and "it felt right"
The problem you have trouble understanding is that RDR2 never billed itself as an RPG. Nobody is surprised the missions in RDR2 are linear, and it was expected.
However, the world itself is very interactive/reactive to the player. This is something completely missing from cyberpunk.

And he's not referring to scripting, but scripted as in a "scripted sequence of events"

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
if i was a working at the art team at cdpr i would leave the studio as soon as i could for a better dev. i just drove through the city center at night and everything looks amazing, sucks that whoever is responsible for the gamepalay is incapable of making anything good out of it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if i was a working at the art team at cdpr i would leave the studio as soon as i could for a better dev. i just drove through the city center at night and everything looks amazing, sucks that whoever is responsible for the gamepalay is incapable of making anything good out of it.
Yes, you're driving through the movie set, but someone didn't have time to write the... script.

Perkel

Arcane
Playing right now with latest 1.31 patch. I have to say that they actually downgraded graphics compared to 1.0 . There are some weird LOD streaming issues that i have never seen before especially when you move camera around. Other than that game certainly lack "the pop" it used to have though i can't quite put my finger what exactly is missing. The other stuff i noticed are screen space reflecions that are weirdly lower FOV than it used to ending usually before edges of screen instead of properly at edges of screen. The other stuff i noticed is pops and car density. It used to be much higher at times some roads were impassable due all lanes being filled.

It seems like chasing performance to fix base consoles backfired negatively on PC version.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lololol

3l47HRp.png

4184261.jpg
4184261.jpg
4184261.jpg

vIZsMAn.png

Gargaune

Magister
The other stuff i noticed are screen space reflecions that are weirdly lower FOV than it used to ending usually before edges of screen instead of properly at edges of screen.
Yep, they were screwing around with lighting and reflections and broke most of them in 1.3. Then they put out a patch that restored them... partially. At least that's what I gathered off YouTube, I'm still on 1.22.

I imagine I'll have to update eventually, once they bring out some worthwhile DLC or for mods, so I hope they'll fix it by that point. Because, honestly, if I gotta put up with a visual downgrade for the sake of console parity post-launch, CDPR's going on my discount list. Visuals are genuinely the only thing great about this game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The other stuff i noticed are screen space reflecions that are weirdly lower FOV than it used to ending usually before edges of screen instead of properly at edges of screen.
Yep, they were screwing around with lighting and reflections and broke most of them in 1.3. Then they put out a patch that restored them... partially. At least that's what I gathered off YouTube, I'm still on 1.22.

I imagine I'll have to update eventually, once they bring out some worthwhile DLC or for mods, so I hope they'll fix it by that point. Because, honestly, if I gotta put up with a visual downgrade for the sake of console parity post-launch, CDPR's going on my discount list. Visuals are genuinely the only thing great about this game.

This sort of news is infuriating. Like you say, visuals were the only selling point or at least the main one. I found the game enjoyable due to its presentation and had figured they'd eventually patch to correct some of the janky things, not downgrade the entire experience to play on a toaster leaving you with a mediocre action game that also looks like ass and has weird glitches. If they'd presented that back when it was coming to initial release, I never would've bought it. They should release an "HD" patch that just reverts everything back to 1.00. lol

Gerrard

Arcane

don't know hos trustworthy this guy is but he talks about cyberpunk 2077 gettting massive changes to core systems over the next couple years including a rework of the police system, transmog, barbershops etc

Copium overdose.

It's amazing how this game continues to be a huge letdown even on the most basic level, almost a year after launch.

See this video: https://youtu.be/P1RqnE45cRI From 28:40 onwards you can clearly see a hologram of a stripper dancing on the table while you're there talking with Evelyn. Well, now that I'm revisiting the same quest and the same location, the stripper is not there. :lol:

I don't get why would they censor this of all things, but it's another move that's hypocritical, stupid and futile at the same time.
The only letdown in there that I have seen is that the girl's tits are made out of stone and don't even budge when she sways in every direction.

Last edited:

Inveigh

Novice

don't know hos trustworthy this guy is but he talks about cyberpunk 2077 gettting massive changes to core systems over the next couple years including a rework of the police system, transmog, barbershops etc

This is the highest tier of copium overdose, soundtrack included. This game was a wet shit on release, and is no different almost a year on. How much fucking slower could they possibly be going on releasing updates and reworking systems? This isn't an online service game. Releasing small updates to systems slowly over the course of years doesn't work, and one year is pissed down the drain already. CDPR might be able to pull this game back from the brink but this video is just brain dead shilling.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This game was a wet shit on release, and is no different almost a year on. How much fucking slower could they possibly be going on releasing updates and reworking systems?
My hopes are connected to the 1 year anniversary date. If they put out something significant it will be then. This "something", however, will most likely be *an announcement* of an expansion. I don't think they officially recognize that they have downgraded the graphics, nor that most of their side content is not worth the player's time, i.e. they've massively failed at the "no difference between main quest and side quests" selling point.

In summary, the C-level execs chose to take one candy immediately (release a subpar game for all consoles, with all it ended up to entail), instead of a box of candy in a week (stick to newest console gen and release a game that will look good in the years to come).

AwesomeButton

Patron
BTW, has the fixer cellphone spam been patched, or is it just me not having ran around the city much? So far I've only got one call and later one message from Regina Jones - the one with the cyberpsychosis investigation. Where I am is I've just entered Konpeki Plaza for getting the Relic.

Naraya

Arcane
I don't think they will invest a lot to improve the game, rather slowly let it be forgotten.

If I were to guess, I'd say they will invest heavily in W4 and a new IP that is Thorgal related.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't think they will invest a lot to improve the game, rather slowly let it be forgotten.

If I were to guess, I'd say they will invest heavily in W4 and a new IP that is Thorgal related.
The majority of mouthbreathers are not critical of the game for reasons which can't be patched.

Perkel

Arcane

Sadly i can't go back to 1.22 because Full Gameplay Rebalance isn't available on that patch (it is but in very limited version)

BTW, has the fixer cellphone spam been patched, or is it just me not having ran around the city much? So far I've only got one call and later one message from Regina Jones - the one with the cyberpsychosis investigation. Where I am is I've just entered Konpeki Plaza for getting the Relic.

I don't think so. The reason why fixers spam you are because you are near some location with mission and they provide context to it. Also you are merc and fixers are basically your day job thus it would be logical that they would contact you about jobs.

What they fixed was the spam about extra stuff like cars being available.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

They could leave it, but having replayed it recently it's got such a unique and moreish vibe that you can't get anywhere else that I think people will keep buying it if they do sort it out. The game world plus "finishing the game" (from CDPR) plus the modding community would, I think, make it quite long-lived.

IOW, I'm not sure whether just letting it languish would be cutting losses - rather, it would be leaving money on the table.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
maybe I'm being kotaku_slowpoke.jpg but CDP is hiring 60 people to work on Weeweepunk. Probably for the DLCs, but they might end up doing the other stuff mentioned above like "rework of the police system, transmog, barbershops etc". I'd rather have a better loot system than more beards to pick from, but people want what they want.

https://www.aroged.com/2021/10/16/cd-projekt-red-will-hire-60-more-people-to-work-on-cyberpunk-2077/

Better loot system, actual car chases, NPCs and vehicles that don't disappear/spawn when you turn around, etc. Visuals that aren't degraded, skills that all do something, etc.

Who cares about transmog if the visuals are a muddied mess and there are no RPG mechanics and it's a first person game? Just change your outfit when you're in photo mode.

Other than that, it's just bizarre that they had nudity and then started to censor at least some of it. I don't really go for it in my games, but it irks me that they seem to have released one thing and then patch it to be another, without even an option toggle to have either the uncensored or censored version. Similarly, graphical settings that are either more like the original release or the updated downgraded version. It's one thing when companies do that between the bullshots in their hype phase and actual release and another when they've bait and switched with a released game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Core game will probably only get minor adjustments at best, they're most likely working on story DLC for more money.
After all, why fix the game if retards buy it anyways?

AwesomeButton

Patron
At least at some point there seems to have been a bug where if you are on console, the game loads the most sexually restricted version regardless of your region. I saw that in the steam forum.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game was dead the moment it became obvious it would not receive proper post-launch support. So, in about 4 months.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Gargaune , is it theoretically possible that the viewing distance can be restored with modding engine values alone, or is it possible that it will also require using assets from an older game version? Can you tell what approach they took when downgrading?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom