Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
would overhaul plot lines and cinematics?
yes
My expectations for a $300 million dollar game are not unreasonable.
No, no - my expectations that Swen would add mouse support to BG3 aren't unreasonable, your expectations that CDPR would develop the same game again are unreasonable. The $300 million's been spent, that ship's sailed.
Not my fault they spent the $300m on nothing.

typical user

Arbiter
Dude, what? Are you making a laundry list of what you don't like about the game or do you genuinely expect that an "enhanced edition" would overhaul plot lines and cinematics? Patch 1.5 will pack some further performance optimisations, rework a handful of peripheral game systems like the police and maybe add some bits and bobs of features and content that didn't make the cut or were planned as "free DLC." The game is what it is, the only thing that could make a significant difference is a quality expansion.

Well then they shouldn't promise most of those things in the first place!

Gargaune

Magister
Well then they shouldn't promise most of those things in the first place!
That's fine but it's general criticism, you're not gonna get that sort of stuff from a patched-up re-release. Fabulous optimism is what got us here in the first place.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So let me see if I've got this right:

- They're going to be releasing a "next-gen version" of the game alongside patch 1.5, right?

- This "next-gen version" is going to enhance visuals and game systems, in other words, bring the game back to the state it was when it was first released, right?

- There aren't going to be any actual expansions to the game until after 1.5 / "next-gen" / Back-to-the-Beginning is released, which means some time in 2022, right?

- And we have no idea whether or not the current team working on the game is even capable of doing any of this without fucking the game up even more than it is, right?

What an unmitigated disaster. Even Star Citizen is starting to get its shit together. Imagine not being able to compete with STAR FUCKING CITIZEN!

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I toooold you, milion times toooold you. Slavic urban centres are SJW lairs (thanks Americans!) and SJWs are hundred bad things BUT NUMBER ONE IS: I-N-C-O-M-P-E-T-E-N-T

Literally and figuratively. CDPR programmers are either young or young and SJW. Wooooowzer what happend to all the good ones??? - all suprised picachus asked

They left. Have been leaving for YEARS and current CDPR is sliiiiightly more competent then current Bioware. Fucking realise that when KEY people who made games leave, label itself is WORTHLESS. If Messi stopped playing for Barcelona and was instead replaced by Miloje from FC Mrčajevci, 5ft Balkan football league, would you put 100$ on next Barcelona's victory?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If 500+ people in 2021 can't reproduce after year+ of trying same police system code that 100 people did in GTA San Andreas back in 2004 then you have to understand that we are living in cultural, societal, intelligence and know-how decline, the same one Britons experienced when Romans left. CDPR is pozzed, thus shit. Simple As

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Asking from modern CDPR to make you good game is like being angry because your dead grandma didn't make you your favourite waffles from your childhood. Halloooo, grandma is dead, so is CDPR. Learn to make waffles

Old Hans

Arcane
you have to understand that we are living in cultural, societal, intelligence and know-how decline, the same one Britons experienced when Romans left. CDPR is pozzed, thus shit. Simple As

EXCEPT CDproject always kind of stunk at making systems. I remember pre witcher 3 hype they were talking up the NPC schedules or some bullshit & everyone was all "whoa the npc's react to the rain" and I was all "YEA... they did that in the first game"

and everyone clapped

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
you have to understand that we are living in cultural, societal, intelligence and know-how decline, the same one Britons experienced when Romans left. CDPR is pozzed, thus shit. Simple As

EXCEPT CDproject always kind of stunk at making systems. I remember pre witcher 3 hype they were talking up the NPC schedules or some bullshit & everyone was all "whoa the npc's react to the rain" and I was all "YEA... they did that in the first game"

and everyone clapped

I don't understand that comment. Doesn't the fact that they did it in the first game prove they were good at making systems?

Perkel

Arcane
I like how everyone ignored that apparently The Witcher 3 is getting multiplayer...

:popamole:

Speaking of which if C77 is getting multiplayer then they have to redo perks and slow time aug. Or they will just make it into shooter without progression/stats.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar

in other words, if you want more content, better be excited and play the game after 1.5 rolls out

No, don't be excited. Be sceptical or you are in for world of disappointment just like last year on the release.
  1. Have they promised to rework the storyline to feature branching questlines? Will we get exclusive paths for Maelstrom/Militech or Netwarch/Voodoo Boys?
  2. Are they going to introduce promised faction reputations? Will Arasaka chase us for killing the emperor and stealing immortality biochip?
  3. Will police officers stop spawning behind your back and actually spawn in squad cars and AVs and navigate to you naturally?
  4. Will they introduce repeatable side-activities like fight clubs, street races and fixer contracts? CP2077 is UbiGame right now. With more bugs.
  5. Are there any plans to include buyable and upgradeable properties like they have promised? Will you be able to upgrade them like Corvo Bianco from Blood and Wine?
  6. Do they have any plans to restore cut features like metro/taxi fast travel systems, wall running, random encounters or spiderbot for Tech builds?
  7. Are they going to rework UI, dialogs and cutscenes to be less Witcher 3 and actually more immersive and in Deus Ex style?
  8. Have they got any plans to introduce at least barbers to change your characters hair after initial creation? Witcher 3 had beard growth mechanic.
Until at least half those things are brought in with free updates or all of them in paid expansion pack don't bother. The game is still very buggy. Police will assault you at random, half the perks still don't work. The UI breaks when going at high speeds, there are no collisions between player and NPCs, pedestrians still squat when in danger or disappear when you turn your screen around. The only fixes they have provided is to have MaxTac deal 50% max health damage with every bullet, or a cat that has different static spawnpoints with no sandboxing in sterile enviroment of V's apartment, or being able to turn off double-tap to dodge, or half-assed map zoom-out.

This game had higher budget and more development time than GTA V. So I won't be pulling any punches and actually demand same quality. Or they can GTFO from the industry since there are games developed by single people which impressed me more than this gopnik jank.

1 feels like a full DLC thing.

2 might tie in with 4, a general gangs-of-night-city thing. Arasaka being on my ass: no thanks, not really. Last thing we need is constant Legion level Assassin squads.

3 Seems to be coming up, yes.

Again with 4, hope so.

5 I'm a bit ehhhh on this. While I did muse on it, like getting one of those nice houses out in 6's territory...I could see it. Or a better apartment building.

6 - I really hope the metro comes back.

7 - Doubtful.

8 - Should be easy enough.

Honestly they need to make the lifepaths actually matter. Corpos can rub shoulders with the inner city. Street Kids with their gang, using all the resources they can. Nomads ditto. It felt like all three were mashed together. Corpos can talk their way out of a few sitches due to their background. Jackie often felt like the Street-Kid gang 'translator'. Nomads took up a solid half of my game, there's a LOT of content for them but if it was possible, I would had liked to hire out militech/get into militech to help take down arasaka, or a gang, or even another inner city group of poors and equalists than fuck around the badlands.

Nomads should actually enjoy a expanded badlands and deal with the suburbs more. Streetkids muck around in their hoods with their chosen gang (and they should choose one, affects their fixer and their questlines. Corpos should really have a lot more interaction with the corporate world, all of them.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I must admit I was surprised by the notion of TW3 getting multiplayer.

I mean, has anyone ever asked for it? Have people been clamouring for multiplayer in TW3? You'd think it would be the last thing people would be interested in, since it would be quite silly to have a bunch of Geralts leaping and pirouetting through the world.

*thinks* Maybe you'll be able to form a "party" with someone being Geralt (DPS), someone being Yennefer (Mage), someone being the dwarf (Tank) someone being Dandelion (Bard)? Something like that?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah completely tonedeaf update. They somehow think they can fully mimmick rockstar now, but rockstar makes all that money because they have a fanatic fanbase that simply NEED to throw money at them, because neither GTA Online nor RDR Online is anything worthwhile playing.

You can smell CDPR's corporate greed from miles away. Its clear by now that the leeches run the show.

Its a shame because what made Witcher good was a visible dedication to the games, the lore and the fanbase by the dev team.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Speaking of which if C77 is getting multiplayer then they have to redo perks and slow time aug. Or they will just make it into shooter without progression/stats.
im all up for making it a proper shooter...

Perkel

Arcane
I mean, has anyone ever asked for it?

CDPR cares about gta online money. They follow path i already mentioned many times before. Aka we do everything competition does one tier lower when it comes to scummery. When competition will partition completely campaign into several purchases they will gladly sell you campaign to already bought game as one piece riding that higher than thou horse. When competition will introduce even more chopped up campaign then CDPR will introduce "only 5 purchases for campaign". That is their modus operandi.

It is not coincidence that Gwent was released. It was not some love project because in game gwent was amazing (it wasn't really because of game itself) but because they saw heartstone numbers and decided to get some of that money. CEOs also have huge hard on for chinese market.

CDPR isn't alone in this. Any company that grows will follow decline path. Larian, CDPR, Betsheda, Bioware, GGG, Digital Extreames and so on. Because at some point people at the helm start to care about making shitload of money rather than making games they want. When they have to pick next project they no longer work with "i want to make this game" but "ok these are the targets i want to hit when it comes to money what game i can make in those targets"

Good example of that is C77. Initial game design was known to be some kind of isometric mish mash, they did try to implement actually PnP etc. lead designer talked in interviews how they will be changing some of the classes, improving balance etc. But then Witcher 3 happened and they got shitload of money and fame and thus they scrapped this and instead made wither with guns as game was developed heads also seemed to try to capitalize on GTA crowd with PR campaign for that extra loot. And they did achieve what they wanted. Game sold 13mln copies at 60$ day1 which is more than 20mln tw3 over who knows how many bargains deals. They are set for easily next 6-10 years with that kind of money (rough math says $234mln which with polish dev costs is something like 1$Bln in US).

There is a reason why greatest works of art are made by people who are struggling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom