Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

kangaxx

Arbiter
Another major issue with this game is that the concept of private property doesn't exist outside of scripted set pieces in heist missions. I find it very immersion breaking.

Early in the game I was able to steal thousands of EDs worth of weapons and junk in a gang hideout while they all stood and watched. Anything that wasn't nailed down I took, all the while Jackie chilled in a lift at the end of the room for 15 minutes. The gang just stood there and said nothing.

Even the Outer Worlds had a system to try and discourage this (admittedly it was half arsed and didn't work, but still). As far as I'm concerned this 'problem' was solved ages ago.

These were meant to be intimidating gangers and I just walked straight into their security-rigged den, in a seriously violent dog-eat-dog world, and took what I wanted in plain view. Retarded.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Do you get any new hacking abilities besides the ones you start with? Looking at the perks its like 90% is +x% to one thing or another. I also saw there's a turret shutdown thing but it says it turns off all the turrets for 3 minutes. What? Why? I don't need it to do that to all of them and maybe I don't want them to turn off. Just access to it like in DX 3 and 4 with options going from there. And there's a similar thing for cameras. Turns them off for 3 minutes. What shit design is this?

In my experience the AI is significantly worse in shootouts in the open world as opposed to missions. Even in missions I've had the AI just take cover and freeze there, not reacting to being shot at from point blank range. Cars just stopping at a traffic light and not moving anymore, that has also been reported before.
There seems to be a lot of scripted stuff being marketed as systems. The AI is in general braindead, but sometimes decent-ish when scripted. At least thats how I perceive it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Do you get any new hacking abilities besides the ones you start with? Looking at the perks its like 90% is +x% to one thing or another. I also saw there's a turret shutdown thing but it says it turns off all the turrets for 3 minutes. What? Why? I don't need it to do that to all of them and maybe I don't want them to turn off. Just access to it like in DX 3 and 4 with options going from there. And there's a similar thing for cameras. Turns them off for 3 minutes. What shit design is this?

By adding time limits to how long they're hacked it bought their game designers some additional things for the gaymer to spend their perk points on. "Increase camera hacked time by 10%" or whatever. Lazy game design as you say.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
c

(-11.46%)

can someone explain to me how finance works? why did their stock drop if the game's launch was incredibly successful? something like 8 million units confirmed sold in the 1st day

Readher

Savant
In my experience the AI is significantly worse in shootouts in the open world as opposed to missions. Even in missions I've had the AI just take cover and freeze there, not reacting to being shot at from point blank range. Cars just stopping at a traffic light and not moving anymore, that has also been reported before.
There seems to be a lot of scripted stuff being marketed as systems. The AI is in general braindead, but sometimes decent-ish when scripted. At least thats how I perceive it.
It has all signs of a linear game being turned into an open world game. That's why nothing in the game really works, why it lacks basic open world gameplay systems and simulations and likely why the performance is shit. If it wasn't clear that the game was in development hell before, it definitely is now.

msxyz

Augur
I wanted to wait a year or so before buying this (like I did for The Witcher 3) but got it as a gift from my wife and now, after having playing it for a while, I can safely say that this game worst flaws are not the bugs (which can be fixed) nor the cluncky interface (again, it can be easily reworked) or even the borken loot/econjomy (common in many advetures /RPGs). This game is just a pretty slideshow with some frustrating gaming sesssions in between.

Gameplay mechanics are borken. The ruleset is both obtuse and pretty ineffective aside from the usual check here an there for closed doors and dialogue choices.

I don't need to understand what's going on: the game keeps adding to my journal quest after quest following some phone calls or messages I do not even bother to listen to or read. There is a large yellow icon with my destination and even a dotted line on the minimap to reming me where I need to go, what I need to do.

For a game boasting alternative methods to solve quests, in the end more often that not everything degrade into a fight. Stealth is really flawed, enemy AI is dumb and hacking quite useless. The dev team should have paid more attention to games like Deus EX: Humarn Revolution to see a stealth/combat gameplay done right.

The game clearly needs at least one year more of development to be turned into something decent but even then it will look more like a salvaged product that a good, sound concept turned into something practical. For all its downfalls, even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided feels a more solid and satisfying game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't wait for downvotes. For some reason /r/pcgaming is sucking this game's cock harder than the official CP subreddit. Probably graphicsfags who need to jerk off to the visuals and justify their 3090 purchase.
VWuQ0rS.png
I agree with this, but the fault lies with CDPR's hype machine. There have been games just as bad at their RPG systems and even basic systems, that never got the same amount of flak, but neither had they built up the same kind of expectations.

TBH I never had expectations that CDPR will actually build a game that's "All of GTAV but in the future, plus all the good stuff and quest reactivity from Witcher 3 on top of that". If you add up the questlines with their C&C, the open world gameplay (or "gameplay") and the action/stealth during quests' action sequences, this is like three different games stitched together, each of which warrants its own big, dedicated development team. The fact that two of those three feel and play somewhere between "meh, decent" and "hilariously bad", and it's the two that CDPR has no experience with (GTA clone and Deus Ex clone) is telling enough.

I don't think the GTA clone and Deus Ex clone would have gotten much better even if the game was delayed further. The only benefit of further delaying would have been ironing out technical issues and glitches like T-posing and misplaced NPCs.

Another major issue with this game is that the concept of private property doesn't exist outside of scripted set pieces in heist missions. I find it very immersion breaking.

Early in the game I was able to steal thousands of EDs worth of weapons and junk in a gang hideout while they all stood and watched. Anything that wasn't nailed down I took, all the while Jackie chilled in a lift at the end of the room for 15 minutes. The gang just stood there and said nothing.

Even the Outer Worlds had a system to try and discourage this (admittedly it was half arsed and didn't work, but still). As far as I'm concerned this 'problem' was solved ages ago.

These were meant to be intimidating gangers and I just walked straight into their security-rigged den, in a seriously violent dog-eat-dog world, and took what I wanted in plain view. Retarded.
Yep, the fact that you can just rob items lying on the ground which obviously are supposed to belong to people is dull, but with some exceptions it was the same in most of Witcher 3. I think CDPR designers don't even consider it a problem.

Another gross inconsistency in addition to the open city not being all that dangerous as was advertised it would be - the game's ingame lore pieces mention that people walk around the city armed even if going to a shop across the street. Contrast that with pedestrian AI behavior if the player starts causing trouble.

All this takes me to the conclusion that the open world night city should be treated as just a very expensive backdrop for the player to travel through while moving from mission NPC to mission NPC, and it's not worth trying to get more from it. A real pity, because you can see what huge amount of effort they poured into it. And once again, I feel sorry they bit off more than they can chew with going for an open world city instead of hub-based.

Xeon

Augur
I don't like driving, I have been running everywhere, I hope there is no car racing or chasing or something. Feels pretty fast and I keep crashing my car.

Do you get any new hacking abilities besides the ones you start with?
I think you can buy Hacking abilities later to change things. I found the shop while doing side quests.

just

Liturgist
I don't like driving, I have been running everywhere, I hope there is no car racing or chasing or something. Feels pretty fast and I keep crashing my car.
theres a quick fuck locked behind racing sidequest lol

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
can someone explain to me how finance works? why did their stock drop if the game's launch was incredibly successful? something like 8 million units confirmed sold in the 1st day

Because the game is dogshit and whilst this one has sold well the next one probably won't. Better to sell now at the peak.

Sell when high, buy when low.
Yeah, I'm no expert on stocks trading but I guess this is just a big number of people offloading their stocks and going after something that has better prospects for a midterm investment. It's not a crash or anything to be dramatic about.

It has all signs of a linear game being turned into an open world game. That's why nothing in the game really works, why it lacks basic open world gameplay systems and simulations and likely why the performance is shit. If it wasn't clear that the game was in development hell before, it definitely is now.
Indeed, the only justification I could come up with for the game existing as an open world game (apart from "Everybody does open world and we would look bad if hub-based") and the MMO-like itemization is that this is a warm up for their Cyberpunk MMO which is already announced anyway.

Readher

Savant
Can't wait for downvotes. For some reason /r/pcgaming is sucking this game's cock harder than the official CP subreddit. Probably graphicsfags who need to jerk off to the visuals and justify their 3090 purchase.
VWuQ0rS.png
I agree with this, but the fault lies with CDPR's hype machine. There have been games just as bad at their RPG systems and even basic systems, that never got the same amount of flak, but neither had they built up the same kind of expectations.

TBH I never had expectations that CDPR will actually build a game that's "All of GTAV but in the future, plus all the good stuff and quest reactivity from Witcher 3 on top of that". If you add up the questlines with their C&C, the open world gameplay (or "gameplay") and the action/stealth during quests' action sequences, this is like three different games stitched together, each of which warrants its own big, dedicated development team. The fact that two of those three feel and play somewhere between "meh, decent" and "hilariously bad", and it's the two that CDPR has no experience with (GTA clone and Deus Ex clone) is telling enough.

I don't think the GTA clone and Deus Ex clone would have gotten much better even if the game was delayed further. The only benefit of further delaying would have been ironing out technical issues and glitches like T-posing and misplaced NPCs.
For sure. CDPR only has themselves to blame for making false claims about the game and focusing marketing on aspects that are the most barebones (immersion, interactive world, choices matter, "your story", etc.).

Xeon

Augur
They are making an MMO? I thought it was just the same game but add multiplayer or something similar to GTA5.

Yosharian

Arcane
So there is an interesting way to make money in the game, I've spoilered it in case people don't wanna know

Turns out you can buy soft drinks from vendors for $10, then disassemble them, then sell the components you get from them for more money than you paid for the original item. Lmao.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you get $60 worth of items from one soft drink.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Played a bit longer. The main missions seem pretty good. I thought the one with BD memory thing was cool. I don't think the driving is as bad as people claim too.

For me the biggest problems with the game are the perks and cyber upgrades. As others have already said, they really don't change the gameplay at all. They just add % increases on existing skills. Same thing with the cyber enhancements. They are absurdly expensive, and mostly pretty dull. The game is really easy too, even on the hardest difficulty, which kills any desire of progression.

Honestly, I might wait to play it for several months. It's not terribly exciting me at the moment, so I might play something else and see what happens with the DLC. It'd be cool if they released a harder difficulty level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom