Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2022-4-12_1-11-4.png

Here's the REAL Cyberpunk game we all waited for.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the game for 20-30 hours now, but I simply cannot get myself to start it again.

The gameplay is so incredibly samey - and at the same time overburdened with a million "features" cluttering the UI.
Witcher 3 was samey as well, but at least it was simple.
And also, I feel like Witcher at least broke it up with something else every now and again.

With Cyberpunk, it feels like you are playing an FPS game that has outstayed its welcome 10 hours ago because every mission plays out 100% the same.
The stories are often quite interesting, and well acted, too, so it's a shame you need to get through the gameplay to get to them.

One thing I find absolutely hilarious is how incredibly ugly your char looks because you just equip the stuff with the best stats and those pieces of "clothing" never fit each other.

Wesp5

Arcane
One thing I find absolutely hilarious is how incredibly ugly your char looks because you just equip the stuff with the best stats and those pieces of "clothing" never fit each other.

I agree, isn't there a mod that only gives high armor stats to clothes that would really have them?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So they are releasing one expansion then? Didn't they state a year ago that there will be two like the Witcher? Or did they change their minds.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
30 million copies after 6 years and numerous discounts in later years going as low as -80% of the price for the goty edition with all the expansions.

"CD Projekt Red's fiscal year 2020 earnings report reveals The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt had its second best year since launch in 2020; as such; the action-RPG exceeded 30 million copies sold"

18 million copies after 14 months isnt bad considering the reputation of the game. We will get a better picture of the sales after first expansion releases if its a flop the game is dead.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Pretty sure it will have the gamebryo curse, the old area cannot be touched and the new loads up seperately. Which will make outskirts stand out as sore thumb even more. This stuff poisons gamedev for far too long now, if server side streaming (preferably textures not frames) is needed to get rid of it then old platforms should just roll over and die.

Not to mention before the recent misfiring UE5 marketing barrage it was kinda established unreal games will reside in datacenters because too high storage req.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I've been racking my brain, trying to think of an expansion that took more than 2 years to come out after the base game and the only title I can come up with is Gothic 3 and Forsaken Gods, which, you know, somehow explains this entire Cyberpunk situation just perfectly.

Modron

Arcane
Titan Quest had an expansion come out last year, 15 years. Age of Empires 2 is getting a new expansion in two weeks.

Gargaune

Magister
That expansion segment's what, around 15% of all resources? In terms of hard numbers, it might not be that small a team given CDPR has enough people to run a space program, and the graph indicates a slight 10-15% staffing uptick over Dec 2021. But that doesn't matter for shit if you consider the results - more than two years to regurgitate a single expansion for the game? What a joke.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pretty sure it will have the gamebryo curse, the old area cannot be touched and the new loads up seperately. Which will make outskirts stand out as sore thumb even more. This stuff poisons gamedev for far too long now, if server side streaming (preferably textures not frames) is needed to get rid of it then old platforms should just roll over and die.

Not to mention before the recent misfiring UE5 marketing barrage it was kinda established unreal games will reside in datacenters because too high storage req.

Huh? Don't hard drives just get bigger and bigger? When I started gaming, a terabyte was inconceivably huge, now it's commonplace. Internet also gets faster, so downloading all that shit isn't a problem either.

Gargaune

Magister
This stuff poisons gamedev for far too long now, if server side streaming (preferably textures not frames) is needed to get rid of it then old platforms should just roll over and die.
What? Did you just make an argument in favour of cloud gaming? I'd rather all games everywhere be Cyberpunk 2077 Dragon Age 2 forever than have that shit paradigm succeed. Stadia's failure was the biggest incline the medium's had in years, even if it was just a reprieve.

tritosine2k

Erudite

Huh? Don't hard drives just get bigger and bigger? When I started gaming, a terabyte was inconceivably huge, now it's commonplace. Internet also gets faster, so downloading all that shit isn't a problem either.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/13/...l-engine-5-to-make-next-gen-graphics-shine/2/
What we’ll see as people start to get their heads around Nanite is the data streaming — not just a primary and secondary cache, but a tertiary cache that’s cloud-based. We’ll see where people take it. But we’re definitely designing the next generation of the engine so that storage can be off actual hardware.

Sweeney: Sony’s new PlayStation 5 is a remarkably balanced device, not only the GPU power, but also an order of magnitude increase in storage bandwidth, which makes it possible to not just render this kind of detail, but stream it in dynamically as the player is moving through the world. That’s going to be critical to rendering the kind of detail in bigger open-world games. It’s one thing to render everything that can fit in memory, but another thing to have a world that might be tens of gigabytes in size.

Libreri: That’s our goal with Unreal Engine 5. Huge, complex, large-scale worlds can be streamed into the machine with incredible detail, and without noticing things popping in the traditional way you’d see.

Generally AAA is more trouble than its worth, so cyberpunk first person perspective wasn't a bad idea for less trouble, but if you do FP you need to match it up with 48-60 frames at least. Not to mention input lag REALLY makes a difference and short is sooo much better.

So the logical choice is >300-500 GB worth of precomputed lighting "KEY" lighting. Yet 3-500 GB is luxury, especially with mobile around the corner closing the gap already.

Libreri: We wanted to get to a point where we felt that things started to look very real and very photographic. You can’t do that without dynamic global illumination. For years we’ve had a system in the engine we call Lightmass that allows you to bake GI, but the problem with that is that in the next-generation, you’ll want everything moving and animating and destructible. You need a live GI solution.

We’ve tried. Even in Unreal Engine 4 there were a few pieces we did that helped with live GI, the screen-space GI thing we did and other things. But this was the first time that we really nailed it, where at console performance levels in a huge scene you were able to get dynamic lighting. It’s awesome. When the roof opens in that big area that the statues are stored, that light is — we’re not keyframing anything. It’s just the wall opening and it illuminates the space.

Yet they can't hit 48-60 frames with that so does it really matter. You just stream keyed stuff and that's that. This stuff has no input lag if not frames are streamed but other formats. Not to mention client side volumetric stuff has no chance. Not even transparency.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
It makes no fucking sense that a dynamic global illumination technique would cost you 500gb of storage. You're placing light sources, not textures. Either you're Terry Davis and the most cleverest programmer in the world and understand these concepts way better than I do. Or you're a schizo making connections where there are none.

Based on the shit you've been spewing in the Path of Exile thread, I tend to believe the latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom