Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
afaik it started with him playing a minor role, which gradually got expanded
Wasn't the whole deal with the chip originally supposed to be the last chapter of the game?
dunno whether it was end or beginning(and you just got rid of it). I do however recall that they ended up redoing everything due to being high on keanu drug.
Just like game was redone from 3rd person witcher engine to fps lol

Gargaune

Magister
cbp-fab-optimism.jpg

Yeesh... That didn't age well.

afaik it started with him playing a minor role, which gradually got expanded
Wasn't the whole deal with the chip originally supposed to be the last chapter of the game?
dunno whether it was end or beginning(and you just got rid of it). I do however recall that they ended up redoing everything due to being high on keanu drug.
Just like game was redone from 3rd person witcher engine to fps lol

The original stuff they showed off gave the impression there were two other characters you could also get in your head. When they showed the different looking character creation system in 2018, there was a Backstory section, and part of that was CHILDHOOD HERO. There were three options:

- Samurai Rockerboy: Johnny Silverhand
- Solo of Fortune: Morgan Blackhand
- Corporate God: Saburo Arasaka

I don't know anything about how big or small of a part that was originally meant to play, but it seems like in 2018 they were thinking about having two other characters you could also have in your head. I'd imagine even back then it was something that would play as big a part as it does in the final game, and it was dropped because having two whole other characters filling the role Silverhand does seems like a lot of extra money and work for something people may never see. The other two I could also see as an expansion of an idea that probably original started with just Silverhand to begin with. The whole thing with Silverhand is so much like Tyler Durden and Fight Club, that I could imagine that the idea started with Silverhand, someone thought it would be cool to add more options, then they realized how much work that'd be and reined it back in to just Silverhand. I'd be surprised if their techno-thriller Fight Club idea started with a different character, and they worked their way to Tyler Durden.

Cyberpunk 2077 is kind of funny because I can almost imagine there being a stage in its development where it was more like a Persona game. At least in so far as there being some kind of time management aspect; (gameplay wise they were probably always kind of thinking of doing some version of MGS4 & 5) although I doubt it would've worked with turns like Persona does. It's completely superfluous in the game they released, but so many missions, and even the overall story have all this talk of time. Your whole Silverhand situation has a ticking clock element, it's a pseudo ticking clock element as far as the game goes, but it's part of the story. So many missions you go on are like: Wait a day, or you can only do this at this time of day, or wait a few hours for this to be ready. I can definitely see a version of this game where the big main story missions were on a clock like in Persona, and in the meantime you'd take side gigs, train, work odd jobs, and maybe do things that went towards making that main story mission easier. It feels like a game that was originally designed to be one way, and was probably scrapped when they made the decision to make it a completely open world game...because there's no way this was always open world like the final release is. I can also imagine the game at one point originally having a bit of a Hitman influence with changing into people's clothing to get into certain areas. You do have that in one of your first missions, but then this idea never comes back into play despite you being able to get clothing from all the different gangs and corporates that you'd think would people disguise you.

I was recently playing the game and there was some mission where, specifically for this one mission, you could steal a truck to sneak into this facility. It's funny because I was like: Oh, hey, this is like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. (I can't remember if GTA2 did that as well) Although unlike Mercenaries, this was specific to this one job, where in Mercenaries that's just a universal mechanic to the game that can be used for any mission you're doing...which is how it should've worked in this. Although given how dead the open world is, (which I have to assume is because it wasn't originally meant to be open world) there's also little point in having such a mechanic as a universal mechanic because gangs doesn't just start opening fire on you in their territory if you've got a bad relationships with them.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So... Windows deleted my savegames. I guess it wants to save me from the temptation of checking in again. So... nice?

But seriously. I was cleaning up my old backup HDD and found savegames from the release day time before I reinstalled windows.
Since the trash can limit there was set to 5mb for some reason I didn't get suspicious when it told me "2 big 4 trash".
And then it deleted the current ones on the system drive as well.
If it had deleted all the other current directories that had copies there as well I would have understood the confusion, alas... only Cyberbug. Very weird.

Is it a sign? An omen? Praised be Todd!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's funny, for lack of something better to do, I just bought Insomnia: Ark on discount, and I'm moving through it gradually. The game obviously had great potential - the core gameplay design (it plays like a Mass Effect, but with much better tough RPG gameplay and meatier mechanics), the art design and graphics, the music and the setting, are all great. But it's janky as hell, like really bad, to the point that it's always a bit of a struggle - you can never really settle into immersion for more than short bursts at a time, there's always going to be some bug, graphics or more serious, or some wonkiness that pulls you out.

When I compare that to playing through CP2077, even with CP2077's own bits of jankiness, it reminded me that there's still a huge difference between a big budget game with a huge team and decent Q&A and a low budget indie production with high aspirations, but very little Q&A. When I played CP2077 through on PC (and a 2016 or so PC at that) shortly after release, it was really a fairly pro experience for the most part, bar a few minor graphics bugs, and so long as I was sticking mainly to the MQ, it was a pretty smooth visual-novel-with-combat type of experience. My disappointment was more around it not being a fully-developed open world RPG as we had been promised.

Insomnia: Ark has almost the opposite problem: it has the makings of a really good open world RPG, but the team's abilities (or their team size, time, Q&A, etc.) just didn't match their vision and aspirations.

Anyway, I'm glad CDPR has picked itself up off the floor somewhat. The mistakes they made were kind of understandable in hindsight - sure, they had some hubris, but for the rest, I guess it was a combination of straightforward strategic error and panicked attempt to cover things up. I doubt the game will ever fully be what was promised, but I'm confident that the expansion will be decent and push the game to a more respectable final standing. I will always maintain that Night City itself - there's nothing like it in gaming, and it's still a big draw in and of itself in terms of atmosphere and presence, even as a "Potemkin village."

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
So they can add in the... Nothing that came out in addition to the main game.
Now, speaking at an investor meeting in Warsaw, CEO of CD Projekt, Adam Kicinski, revealed that there are intentions to release a Cyberpunk 2077 Game of the Year edition in 2023, following the launch of Phantom Liberty and the application of another ‘substantial update’.

Still doesn't address which GotY award they're claiming, though I suppose if they called it the "Complete Edition" or somesuch, it would've been a tacit admission that the game didn't score any significant GotY awards.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So they can add in the... Nothing that came out in addition to the main game.
Now, speaking at an investor meeting in Warsaw, CEO of CD Projekt, Adam Kicinski, revealed that there are intentions to release a Cyberpunk 2077 Game of the Year edition in 2023, following the launch of Phantom Liberty and the application of another ‘substantial update’.

Still doesn't address which GotY award they're claiming, though I suppose if they called it the "Complete Edition" or somesuch, it would've been a tacit admission that the game didn't score any significant GotY awards.
Isn't this old news though? I've seen all sorts of "GotY" edition games for titles that I have a hard time believing that won such an award even on some rando's microblog.

Gargaune

Magister
Isn't this old news though? I've seen all sorts of "GotY" edition games for titles that I have a hard time believing that won such an award even on some rando's microblog.
Maybe I just assumed it and never paid much attention to the details. Words don't really mean stuff in our modern world, though, so I guess I shouldn't get caught up on it.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I could've sworn they were talking about this game being open world, and having an online multiplayer aspect akin to GTA5 very early on.

Yeah the Multiplayer got scrapped because of the bug ridden, rushed release according to Phillip Weber:

https://www.eurogamer.net/cyberpunk-2077-multiplayer-had-to-go-away-after-games-rocky-launch-1

Eurogamer said:

Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer "had to go away" after game's rocky launch​

Priorities changed.

CD Projekt Red has shed more light on the reason why multiplayer never materialised for Cyberpunk 2077.

Simply put, the game's rocky 2020 launch changed the studio's plans. CD Projekt Red had to prioritise fixing the single-player experience, and multiplayer suffered as a result.

"We really needed to look at what were the priorities for Cyberpunk [after it launched]," Philipp Weber told me when I visited the studio last week. Weber was senior quest designer and coordinator on Cyberpunk 2077. Today, he's acting narrative director of the new Witcher game codenamed Polaris.

"The priority was that the main experience will run for the people in a really good state," he said. "And essentially, the switch of priorities meant that other R&D projects had to go away. With Cyberpunk, we wanted to do many things at the same time, and we just needed to really focus and say, 'Okay, what's the important part? Yeah, we will make that part really good.'"

It's the first admission I've seen that Cyberpunk's launch was to blame.

A year ago, CD Projekt said that it had "reconsidered" the plan to release a triple-A, standalone multiplayer Cyberpunk game. "Previously, we hinted that our next triple-A would be a multiplayer Cyberpunk game," said Adam Kiciński, president and joint CEO, in an investor presentation. "But we have decided to reconsider this plan given our new, more systematic, agile approach.

"Instead of primarily focusing on one big, online experience - or game - we are focusing on bringing online into all of our franchises one day," he added. "We are building an online technology that can be seamlessly integrated into development of our future games."

He also said: "Let's stress this here: CD Projekt Red makes single-player, story-driven, triple-A RPGs - that is not changing. What is changing is our long-term approach to online, and by this we mean ensuring we are properly prepared to implement online elements in our games where they make sense. We don't want to go overboard or lose our single-player DNA. We want to take thoughtful steps to build robust online capabilities."

"Let's stress this here: CD Projekt Red makes single-player, story-driven, triple-A RPGs - that is not changing."

Exactly what shape these new online elements will take, and whether they constitute a multiplayer experience of people playing in the same game worlds, we don't know.

Multiplayer has been linked with Cyberpunk 2077 for as long as the game has been talked about. Studio head Adam Badowski told me in 2013 that the game would have "multiplayer features". We never found out what they were, though, as multiplayer seemed to linger always just out of sight. But when launch approached and the studio talked about adding multiplayer post-launch, suggestions of a GTA Online kind of approach started to form. But how accurate that is, and how far the studio got with it, again, we don't know.

We do know, however, that CD Projekt Red is making a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077, and that it's relocating the Cyberpunk team to Boston, America - to a new studio there - to develop it.

At some point next year, we will also get a big single-player story expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 called Phantom Liberty, which will once again stair Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. It won't, however, be developed for older consoles PS4 and Xbox One.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I suppose if they called it the "Complete Edition" or somesuch, it would've been a tacit admission that the game didn't score any significant GotY awards.
It would have also been a tacit admission that the game was "incomplete" before the "complete" edition shipped :lol:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Mods can fix the size. Unfortunately there's no difference between playing as a futa character and a regular one. There's no pepe related mechanics. It's literally decoration... for a First person game. A game that puts underwear to your character when running around naked. You can literally only see your vault dweller in the items menu. It's hidden behind all these clown clothes that provide 948604986 armor points.

#boycottcdprojekt #freethesamurai #releasethenylcut

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the irony of the first two sentences that Johnny says being perfectly applicable to the Cyberpunk players' relationship with CDPR :lol:

People who know the game's world and characters are welcome to explain what we just watched.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom