Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

EvilWolf

Learned
Got 2 week ban from general Steam community for two things. One of these was posting the video below and starting a thread about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyoJ7onNrg
I had a friend who had the same happen to him for making a similar thread about another game. The reason given is something about "Intentionally starting arguments by posting provocative content." I guess we live in an age where people don't think debate should exist anymore.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Got 2 week ban from general Steam community for two things. One of these was posting the video below and starting a thread about it.

I had a friend who had the same happen to him for making a similar thread about another game. The reason given is something about "Intentionally starting arguments by posting provocative content." I guess we live in an age where people don't think debate should exist anymore.
To be honest, I wasn't exactly "nice and patient," and I posted the video for the second time after the first thread got deleted. But I wasn't trash-talking, being rasist, promising violence, and all this other nonsense either.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Not without modding anyway. There's a mod that lets you combine 2 cyberdecks, and another one that prevents that from being OP by toning down cyberdecks thus paired. There's a mod that tweaks the police system that's already been tweaked a bit by CDPR - the mod lets civs call the police on you. You can also fight from vehicles now with it. There's a teensy mod that has players occasionally saying "hi" and other things when you pass near them. Things like that. Heck, even the formerly very janky 3rd person mod is fairly functional now (the only problem is still with the animations in 3rd person being a bit wonky occasionally, but functionally it works quite well - you can wander around in 3rd person admiring your character and auto-switch to first person in combat).
At long last, something. And in any case, it's not like it's me who is I'm going to hack the CDPR's servers using a ransomware for all they deserve.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is absolutely crucial mod for CP77 - it makes enemy netrunners to be an actual threat.

Also, the one mentioned earlier about car fighting (and police rebalance):

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3815

With those two the game is simply 8/10 for me.
Me and gurugeorge both did, but yeah, it's an essential mod, though I value the civillians and gang members calling backup, from police and more gangers respectively, more than the actual vehicle combat functionality..

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Even with a hundred of mods, I don't know how you can play this game more than once and not get bored. All the story beats are the same long-winded shit, there are no choices no different scenes to see or different ways to play. Once you finish it once, the novelty wears off. By the endgame you have accumulated so many points that you can be proficient in everything. I doubt this will change with the expansion, it seems they are repeating the same mistakes all over again (relaying on big names to sell) instead of focusing on actual C&C and non-linearity.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even with a hundred of mods, I don't know how you can play this game more than once and not get bored. All the story beats are the same long-winded shit, there are no choices no different scenes to see or different ways to play. Once you finish it once, the novelty wears off. By the endgame you have accumulated so many points that you can be proficient in everything. I doubt this will change with the expansion, it seems they are repeating the same mistakes all over again (relaying on big names to sell) instead of focusing on actual C&C and non-linearity.
What about witcher 3? You could argue it has more meaningful C&C, and you would be right. But the reason I would replay it now and then isn't the C&C, but the actual "performances" of the main characters. That's what I think is most lacking in Cyberpunk. And the root cause of it all is that, in the end, you don't grow attached to your character. ironically, this follows from one of the measures intended to make you more "immersed" - the camera stays in first person during conversations.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Way too many young faggots working at Valve with no one watching over them these days. I've been banned from the Steam forums for even more bullshit reasons than this before. I don't think Gabe would approve of this kind of stuff but it's not like he can watch what everyone is doing.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What about witcher 3? You could argue it has more meaningful C&C, and you would be right. But the reason I would replay it now and then isn't the C&C, but the actual "performances" of the main characters. That's what I think is most lacking in Cyberpunk. And the root cause of it all is that, in the end, you don't grow attached to your character. ironically, this follows from one of the measures intended to make you more "immersed" - the camera stays in first person during conversations.

The W3 was linear as well, but it had more C&C than CP77, much more of it in fact. In my first play through of W3, I was aiding Hjlmar in skellige. I then discovered through YouTube that Cerys has a different quest chains entirely. That is hours of content on this side quests alone. This is just one thing on top of my head. Even many of the notice board side quests have different C&C attached to it, while in cyberpunk 95% of the quests is to arrive somewhere, shoot everyone, then leave. Sometimes there would be bonus reward if you do it stealthy, but the rewards are so meager and the loot is basically everywhere, so it's all meaningless.

Perkel

Arcane

The thing with TW3 is that doing everything is like 200h+ and not 200 hours of grinding but 200 hours of actual gameplay. So unless you are some autist it is hard to finish everything on one playtrought much like BG2.

Good example of it is me. I tried to finish everything i could in Velen i did like 1/2 of novigrad and about 1/5 of ard skellig and still clocked 100 hours. I tried to do everything but at some point it was clear that i wouldn't be able to finish game doing everything so i forced and did main quest. Till this day despite my 3 full playtrough like 1/2 of ard skellig is not visited by me even once.

The point is that unless you are absolute autist there is huge reason to replay TW3 not only different C&C but also content you never experienced or missed or you did something else that lead to different outcome.

C77 just doesn't have enough content. It's ~100h game doing everything and even that is scratching it a bit adding stuff like cyberpsychos and other meaningless crap where in TW3 that 200h was mostly quests no bullshit bandit camps or pois.

Imho game is still 10/10 but like mentioned in one of my previous comments it gets to 10 because share virtue of some of its content reaching highest highs while sporting at the same time some of the lowest lows much like TW3.

In the end its the memories game leaves with you that decide how good game is not the sum of all of its parts as equation. My first playthrough was perfect from start to finish and ended in poetic way that clearly was masterfully designed in such way. I expected Cyberpunk to be just another Bladerunner game and it the end it was much more human game much like TW3 case it wasn't about sword and sorcery but about events, people, characters and how they interacted, same here it wasn't about guns and augs but about human spirit but not in GITS way but more like punk rock of 80s rebelling against oncoming corporate clean word of tomorrow killing soul. Not in literal soulkiller way but in spiritual degradation of ideals that were lost to rats of concrete jungle who would sell out their kin just to eat for next day and not die out of hunger.

It's the main story that drives this game forward and makes it special unlike TW3 where main story was mostly excuse to what Witcher fans loved the most, short stories from Geralt life. But at the same time it means that it is just less repayable as whole mystery, characterizations and dialogs are known to you.

In a sense C77 is pretty much like Planescape Torment. It stays with me for decades now and still is on top of my list and yet I have no need to replay it. If i will ever want to replay it it won't be because i am interested in alternative version of game but to just rememorize what story was about in detail instead of having only fading with time wide brush strokes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
About those mods, do they make sense or they just take what is already a broken game in terms of gameplay and make it worse? You know, tweaking values and testing them out on those custom difficulty mods must be a pain in the ass.

Really, from my experience with mods, unless there is some autist with decent taste that get all those mods and properly balance each other as a whole making a full package like Requiem on Skyrim, they either will just make a piss poor broken easy game on an even more piss easy broken game or just break the progression of the game trying to make it more "difficult", modders many times go for novelty instead of caring for making a whole that makes sense and they many times care less for colateral damage on other systems from the changes they make.

Krivol

Magister
Well, netrunners mod is how the game should be from the beginning, it even has its own settings, if you feel like insta-kill hack used on you is too much.
Car fight is a bit messy and sometimes "calling for help" turned fights into infinite enemy spawn (even if I had that option unchecked...), but it makes a lot of things work as intended.
For the difficulty:
Scissors Difficulty adds some neat features, some of those a bit broken, use it with care
Level scaling - I don't use it but feel temped - I hate level scaling in RPG, but this game is not an RPG, and this mod should make fights less tedious.

I loaded more than 10 mods and found out that it actually can be a pain in the ass - motorcycles become unusable (V is starting to bounce left-right on them) and here and there had day-one bugs (like cut-scene guy pointing me with a gun that is not in his hand), so CP77 is not Skyrim level of being moddable (yet, that RED thing is quite new I suppose), but can really turn this game to something fun to play.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The thing with TW3 is that doing everything is like 200h+ and not 200 hours of grinding but 200 hours of actual gameplay. So unless you are some autist it is hard to finish everything on one playtrought much like BG2.
My only complete, or near-complete, playthrough lasted over 360 hours :lol:

That's including both expansions. I played it in something like an LP format, but my only audience was my gf, who was into it as an interactive movie, which she was digging as a movie, plot, and characters. She even learned to control it with m&kb at some point and was doing monster nests and treasure hunts on her own :)

C77 just doesn't have enough content. It's ~100h game doing everything and even that is scratching it a bit adding stuff like cyberpsychos and other meaningless crap where in TW3 that 200h was mostly quests no bullshit bandit camps or pois.
I'm replaying Witcher 3 again, this time with EE with tuned enemy damage. Thinking about how much I have ahead of me, I was discussing with her recently, that CDPR have admitted in interviews that even with the amount of game they cut, they still made it too big, as judged by the steam and gog completion rate.

Unsurprisingly, we were both of the opinion that they didn't really overdo it. A good RPG needs to be big enough for the player to get lost within it. The feeling there is more unexplored is part of what makes the explored part more believeable to the player.

Zeriel

Arcane

Yeah when I saw the celebrity spamming I knew they had learned nothing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
TW3 where main story was mostly excuse to what Witcher fans loved the most, short stories from Geralt life
Precisely how I played it, hehe. A 30-40 minute sidequest or part of the main quest, and then I would take care of open world activities when I didn't have an audience.

About those mods, do they make sense or they just take what is already a broken game in terms of gameplay and make it worse? You know, tweaking values and testing them out on those custom difficulty mods must be a pain in the ass.
Just scroll the pages back to my mod list, I've made it very easy.
EDIT: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-expansion-coming-in-2023.136268/post-8178348

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The scripting mod authors have carried on plugging away since the early days, they were busy in December apparently, and there's now a "train your skills" mod (in alpha) you can try it out with it (e.g. you can now bump up your Athletics from Coach Fred :) ).

I remember there was an attempt at this shortly after the game launched, but it was a bit too janky and tricky to use, and I guess they had to rework it to cope with CDPR's changes. I wonder if this attempt will have legs. It should be easier for end users with the native settings UI mod that CET mods now have, and the quest feedback, etc., seems to be fully integrated into the UI (the quests seem like normal quests, with dialogue, etc.), the only difference is that you need to assign a special interact button for the scripting mod's quests.

Still playing with the Drone mod, it's actually rather cool to have a "proper" techie (I'm having fun with grenades too atm, with a minor in the tech weapons) :) There are even "tech hacks" for it (such as repair and other little tricks).

Responding to Deep Ocean above, re the usefulness of the combat mods, I've been finding that they don't need much personal tweaking (YMMV ofc), they work fine on basic settings out of the box, and mostly they have presets too (more/less difficult), so you don't have to tweak loads of individual parameters. The Full Game Rebalance that I tried about a year ago was brilliant, but now that that's gone (for the moment), the combination of the Ped damage overhaul, the scaling and rebalance mod, the Scissors difficulty mod and the netrunner enhanced mods, the toxicity mod (so you have to be careful re. hoovering up heals) all work together nicely, to give a tougher and more thoughtful gameplay experience, where you and the mobs are more on a level, without making it so difficult that every trivial encounter takes ages. I think the basic combat loop in the game was always decent enough, and with the bit of refinement from these mods, it's actually a lot of fun, quite a bit more "realistic." There's even a mod that staggers you slightly when you're hit, just like you can stagger the mobs, so you can't afford to be out in the open, and you certainly can't afford to be flanked, which the AI tries to do quite regularly.

To put it another way, with Skyrim mods I found they were so tricky and janky that I spent so much time fiddling with them that it wasn't worth it in the end. With this game it's different, I've just installed the ranked mods, spent like a few hours fiddling and getting used to them, and now I've forgotten about them and am playing the game.

With some of the other types of mods, like say the third person mod, they're a lot more janky, but with the combat mods at least, they do seem to work smoothly.

Last edited:

Antigoon

Augur
I'm replaying Witcher 3 again, this time with EE with tuned enemy damage. Thinking about how much I have ahead of me, I was discussing with her recently, that CDPR have admitted in interviews that even with the amount of game they cut, they still made it too big, as judged by the steam and gog completion rate.
Witcher 3 is currently sitting at 23.5% completion rate, which is extremely good. They just use it as an excuse to further cut their games.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
lol, the "call in" function in the vehicle combat mod makes for some fun emergent gameplay. I was engaged with some gangoons and one of them called his mates. There's an icon that fills up above their heads, and you have a little time to kill them before they finish the call. I just missed it, and some seconds after I'd dealt with the last goon, his friends finally came roaring in all guns blazing in a car. I had to duck under cover because they immediately started tearing chunks out of me, but my drones opened fire. Now the cheapest drones, the "Bombus" fire lasers, which looks incredibly cool in and of itself, but they're quite weak, and when they get damaged enough, they "suicide" into the enemy. One of them suicided into the goon in the car who'd been firing at him, and in combination with my fully-charged mighty Satara unloading into it, the car exploded, to much screaming and death from the guys in the car. Good times :)

Later edit: for the curious, here's a vid by someone of an earlier version of the Drone Companion mod, showing how to install it and a bit of gameplay. It has even more features now. I can't recommend it highly enough, it's a riot and a half.

The same mod author, Scissors123454321 is the author of both the vehicle combat and the drone mod, and one of the main difficulty mods, as well as another mod that converts sticky mines to proximity mines, and several other fun or useful mods. The guy really has a sense of what makes for good gameplay. I think if anything, he set the "tone" for quality CP2077 modding with the FGR, and he's probably a big reason why the modding scene for the game is coherent.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Dayum, I'm having fun with the game this third time round (2nd time a year ago I didn't complete, but I did have fun for a week or so). It's true what someone said above, that the story isn't such a big draw once you've experienced it, but the core exploration/combat gameplay just wandering around is very moreish with all the mods. And there still seems to be tons of little things in the virtual world that I didn't discover the other times I played. My body is ready for DLC with new story. Maybe those who say the game's never going to ever really be what it should have been are right, but what it is can certainly be enjoyable for a while with all the relevant mods (my setup is pretty much like AwesomeButton's up-thread, but I have a few more combat-related mods and QOL mods).

Even something as trivial as the third person mod is getting quite workable. I've got it set up with a another mod that fixes the weirdly wide shoulders, and I have an autorun set up with autohotkey, so I can basically walk around relaxedly and steer most of the time without having to keep W pressed down, and enjoy the atmosphere and incredible sense of presence the game has at times, occasionally spinning around to admire my character, as God intended. The "Talk to Me" mod is also quite immursive - though you have to have it toned down to about 06.00 or so in the relevant option, otherwise the "nice day"s are so frequent and annoying as to break immersion rather than foster it. But it's surprising how much bang for the buck you can get in terms of immersion just from the occasional passerby addressing you. It does go some way to fixing the "Potemkin NPCs" problem the game had to start with. (I also get the impression that there's more NPC idle scripting going on - for example, in that basketball court where there's a police alert early on, passing it by later, I noticed that it had a few people hanging around the in sports gear looking as if they were discussing playing. But that might have always been there, I don't know. As a general point, I think the game works really well if you do walk around and just observe the virtual world, like notice the city as a city, really get the sense of "being there" like you would in a real city - it sets up a nice alternating rhythm between goofing off imagining you're in this cyberpunk dystopia, and having intense bouts of action.)

The main problem is the workaround 3rd person mod uses the sketchy 1st person animations that were just in for when you look down in first person, which aren't really tuned for 3rd person viewing - and the model is a bit distorted (it has a sort of caved-in chest, so it lopes along a bit like the hippy from Scooby Doo), unlike the near-perfect models in character creator and the photobooth - and it's still not suitable for combat in 3rd person, but at the moment the mod auto-switches you to 1st person in combat anyway - which, come to think of it, is actually a neat feature in and of itself. It makes a virtue out of a necessity, and I think all games with 1st/3rd person ranged combat should have the option to toggle that functionality). But it's pretty usable for just general exploration (you can F interact with interactable things like ladders, though that's sometimes a bit fiddly and could do with tuning - although loot interaction has always been a bit fiddly in the game for some reason, even in 1st person).

As far as I'm aware, CDPR did start development with the intention of the game being 1st/3rd switchable like TW3, but obviously they ran into time constraints, and although they did a good job with the interaction in 1st person, I do wish they'd fix 3rd person now. Apparently what mostly needs to be done is proper animations (and probably a proper rig, so the body isn't distorted) - surely not that difficult a job for a big company (just copy most of the animations from 3rd person NPC action, which all looks great, and tweak?)

I mean they say they aren't going to develop 3rd person, but I'm sure that's just lingering PR from the time when they were forced to go into 1st. Get on with it!

Last edited:

compvet24

Educated
As far as I'm aware, CDPR did start development with the intention of the game being 1st/3rd switchable like TW3, but obviously they ran into time constraints, and although they did a good job with the interaction in 1st person, I do wish they'd fix 3rd person now. Apparently what mostly needs to be done is proper animations (and probably a proper rig, so the body isn't distorted) - surely not that difficult a job for a big company (just copy most of the animations from 3rd person NPC action, which all looks great, and tweak?)

I mean they say they aren't going to develop 3rd person, but I'm sure that's just lingering PR from the time when they were forced to go into 1st. Get on with it!
Ya I had heard this was the case, but thought they scrapped it altogether. Was surprised with JB - TPP MOD WIP you can see some (not a lot) your anims being fully performed in a few scenes using the whole body instead of just hands in front of a camera.

just

Liturgist
it's 2023
still no game
poles did it again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom