Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Old Hans

Arcane
A Cyberscript Studio mod has been released (based on the Cyberscript Core mod that the author's been working on for ages), for making your own content for the game.

On quick perusal, it seems it would be fairly easy and intuitive to make quests with it.

Finally it's time for Codexers to show their deep understanding and mastery of the RPG genre
The owner of Night City Tavern is having problems with cyber rats that have gotten lose in his basement.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Gargaune

Magister
Very unlikely unless VA for videogame is the best job ever, the game itself had a budget of 1.2 billion polandbux ($316 million). Keanu reportedly got $30 million. Dunno about the DLC but they claim it's their biggest budget one to date, Sasha voicing some radio DJ isn't worth millions lol. Elba will get more but surely not more than Keanu.
English voiceovers were already a painful racket in the games industry, what with SAG squeezing extortionate rates out of the studios, but dropping 10% of your budget on a famous actor is just batshit. The star marketing model has long been on a steep decline in Hollywood itself, AAA developers adopting it now is suicidal insanity - videogames may be the bigger earner, but the labour costs are much higher and if they succeed in making this celebrity arms race "a thing" in the field, they'll only devastate their own margins long-term. And I'm not even saying this 'cause I've got any beef with Keanu, I think he did a good job with the role, but going this route ain't worth it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yes, let's run game at high resolution to increase the sharpness of the picture and then smudge it all with DLSS.
Even funnier when you consider these are the same people who would rather play in higher resolution at lower settings than vice versa. Great idea, so you can appreciate the lower amount of detail more clearly.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I must admit I've never understood DLSS (mainly because I've never taken the trouble to try and understand it :) ). It seems counterintutive to me that running a game internally at a higher resolution and then ... doing what with it? ... would result in a higher framerate. Can someone give me a quick grug explanation?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I must admit I've never understood DLSS (mainly because I've never taken the trouble to try and understand it :) ). It seems counterintutive to me that running a game internally at a higher resolution and then ... doing what with it? ... would result in a higher framerate. Can someone give me a quick grug explanation?

It's the other way around. In DLSS 2 the game runs internally at a lower resolution, and the AI upscales the resolution, that's where the FPS gains come from. DDLS 3 has the AI create intermediate frames, so the game is visually smoother (For example, takes 60 fps and creates intermediate frames to achieve 120 fps). It can create some input lag, but Nvidia Reflex handles most of it.

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
9wkavgtb88ga1.jpg

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having fun with this so far. It reminds me alot of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided though I don't think it's quite as good. MD had a better setting that was funner to explore. Had more interesting gameplay too. In Cyberpunk I'm basically handling every enemy encounter the exact same way which is just shooting everybody. MD encouraged you to mix things up a bit.

ind33d

Educated
I just finished Cyberpunk after 75 hours. It's obvious that at least a third of the content was cut, but like VTMB it nails the atmosphere to such an extent that I still think it's one of the best RPGs of all time. The problem is that 2077's strengths are its writing, characters, and aesthetics—which are lost on the average gamer, who is a drooling fucking moron.

Stuff like how playing the guitar in your apartment foreshadows one of the endings is so ambitious that I would be very curious to see what the original script was before they rushed it out the door. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that launched with no AI but commissioned an entire album just for one missable questline about treating your headmate's band member's suicidal depression. The fact that this game shipped at all should be considered performance art

Perkel

Arcane
LukeRoss released new version of his VR mod for multiple games and he introduced something called AERv2. Basically it is hack where game renders alternate frame to each eye and other eye gets extrapolated frame from that other. So instead of generating twice frame it only generates once and uses some math magic to extrapolate how other eye should see frame. Each frame alternates between eyes so both of your eyes see similar picture.

- his last VR implementation. Barely 60fps on lowest settings (with DLSS) at 2000x2000 res. Moreover ton of smear on screen and artifacts. It was still amazing but picture quality was pretty bad.

vs

90FPS (!!!) locked at high details, with barely any smearing. I was even able to turn raytracing any my framerate went to around 70fps which is about what i get on 1440p with it.

Not only framerate massively improved but also picture quality is now much much much better. Pretty much the only thing that still detracts from image quality is still AA ghosting that he seems to not be able to turn off.

this AERv2 also support now most of games that can be run via his mod in VR like Elden Ring etc.

Honestly I didn't expect much from this change. But i am completely blown away. Dude literally figured out hack to make proper games run in VR with pretty much same system requirement as 2D games.

ind33d

Educated
one of the best RPGs of all time
:hmmm:
My character was a Cold Blood quickhacker wielding a tricked-out Constitutional Arms Defender. Though I was untouchable while outnumbered, I couldn't win a fair fight. I had been grinding the boxing missions for eddies and cheesing them with my Sandevistan Mk. 3, allowing me to slow time just long enough to KO my opponents before they could one-punch me.

Having completed every other mission in the game, I needed cash quick to upgrade my Malorian Arms 3516 before taking down Adam Smasher. When Coach Fred pulled me aside in Pacifica and asked me to throw the final fight, I bet on Razor. Unbeknownst to Fred, I did try my best to win, knocking Razor down to 15% health by pounding his abs as my ripper Viktor suggested, before a single shot from his augmented arms floored me. Disappointing the entire crowd and humiliating myself, the transfer cleared. After reinforcing my weapon on the way to Hanako, I brained Smasher with the Malorian's melee attack, putting Johnny's old gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger.

On my way out of NC, after killing thousands and sabotaging an international corporation on a suicide mission that cost my girlfriend and dooming the only man it was meant to save, the last thing I saw before getting on the bus to start a new life was a poster of Razor Hugh live on Pay-Per-View, taunting me. After soloing Arasaka myself, I was still a loser.

RHRGLYx.png

The choice and consequence is fake and we will never know what this game was supposed to be, but that was the sickest thing I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I just finished Cyberpunk after 75 hours. It's obvious that at least a third of the content was cut, but like VTMB it nails the atmosphere to such an extent that I still think it's one of the best RPGs of all time.
Yeah, difference being that VtMB starts going into crappy combat dominated territory near the end while '77 is full of crappy side content all the way throughout (and unlike VtMB, most of the side content isn't memorable nor does it flesh out interesting NPCs for you to interact with).

ind33d

Educated
I just finished Cyberpunk after 75 hours. It's obvious that at least a third of the content was cut, but like VTMB it nails the atmosphere to such an extent that I still think it's one of the best RPGs of all time.
Yeah, difference being that VtMB starts going into crappy combat dominated territory near the end while '77 is full of crappy side content all the way throughout (and unlike VtMB, most of the side content isn't memorable nor does it flesh out interesting NPCs for you to interact with).
Apparently the Keanu/Silverhand stuff was supposed to be DLC and the Morgan Blackhand heist storyline (the RPG part) was supposed to be the core game. This is why there is a Relic skill tree that does nothing and the chip doesn't have a countdown timer to killing you even though there is literally a working in-game clock. The main story was about doing heists and police work to make enough money to leave Night City, and at the end you would get fused with Johnny's engram.

During crunch time CDPR decided to ship the Johnny DLC as the main game and postpone the actual content of 2077 to Phantom Liberty. I hope that the expansion adds back some of the commented out 50,000 lines of dialogue. The game in its current state is fine, but the voice actors whose entire roles were cut got totally fucked over. Jackie is there for one montage and Morgan Blackhand has one line in one ending. Tragic waste of talent and money.

CDPR should really just release what content they had and let modders finish the game for them. There are entire areas of the city where pedestrians don't spawn and there is no collision, but unless you purposely double-jump to find them you would never know. Modders were able to add most of the interiors back to Watch_Dogs 1 and that game didn't even have modding tools, so CP2077 will get fixed eventually.

Vatnik Wumao
CDPR should really just release what content they had and let modders finish the game for them.
With how ambitious they originally were and likewise with how they changed directions several times throughout development, most of that content doesn't exist even in an unfinished state as for modders to be able to salvage it. So you can't really restore something that wasn't there to begin with. I think that the expansion might provide a better experience in terms of showcasing what could've been had the game not been rushed to release, but there will be no fixing for the base game (some token additions, sure, but that won't turn it into some cult classic akin to VtMB or KotOR II).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apparently the Keanu/Silverhand stuff was supposed to be DLC and the Morgan Blackhand heist storyline (the RPG part) was supposed to be the core game. This is why there is a Relic skill tree that does nothing and the chip doesn't have a countdown timer to killing you even though there is literally a working in-game clock. The main story was about doing heists and police work to make enough money to leave Night City, and at the end you would get fused with Johnny's engram.

This would've been a way better game.

ind33d

Educated
If their options were to ship half an RPG or a whole Far Cry Blood Dragon clone then I think they made the right choice

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I just finished Cyberpunk after 75 hours. It's obvious that at least a third of the content was cut, but like VTMB it nails the atmosphere to such an extent that I still think it's one of the best RPGs of all time. The problem is that 2077's strengths are its writing, characters, and aesthetics—which are lost on the average gamer, who is a drooling fucking moron.

Stuff like how playing the guitar in your apartment foreshadows one of the endings is so ambitious that I would be very curious to see what the original script was before they rushed it out the door. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that launched with no AI but commissioned an entire album just for one missable questline about treating your headmate's band member's suicidal depression. The fact that this game shipped at all should be considered performance art
What third of the game ? Everything ends with bow tie. Maybe you mean prologue ?

Doesn't make any sense. While surface level story in Cyberpunk2077 might be pretty easy to execute quickly swapping stuff the underskin part of it is clearly something someone sat down and thought about for a long fucking time.

Main story unlike state of the game at release wasn't something they rushed or swapped from something else and it's one of it's main strengths. It's soundtrack pretty much tells you it was always story about Johny and V not about Morgan. They literally recorded whole album as metanarrative about V and Johny best shown in Black Dog EP. Which has double meaning. Same with Never Fade Away which in game is recorded as song for Alt but if you actually look at it from player perspective it is also song about V and Johny.
And this doesn't just end with soundtrack.

Morgan idea about story might be true to super early pre witcher 3 release game where it was still not what C77 become which completely got scrapped after Witcher 3 release.

ind33d

Educated
The version of 2077 that had multiplayer was before they wrote Takemura. Hanako was the villain who killed your family and Jackie was your childhood friend. Game started with you going to Viktor and modding your face so Hanako couldn't recognize you in Night City. River Ward was the one to rescue you from the junkyard and there was a higher emphasis on detective work and braindances. You can see elements of this in the original trailer with MaxTac because at the time the plot was about discovering the government was conspiring with corporations to hide the cause of cyberpsychosis. Most of that content still made it in as Regina's side missions but without any resolution.

I would have liked to see them tie in Johnny to the main story by implying he was going cyberpsycho and that's why he bombed Arasaka. Could have had River and the player hunting down artifacts from Silverhand's life to see if he was insane and Arasaka was innocent. I know at one point there was supposed to be a BD that showed Johnny was framed by Blackhand for the raid but God only knows what happened to that in development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom