Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
except they were working on the fucking thing for 10 years.
That's highly unlikely.

They announced the game was in pre-production already as of 2012.
Their first teaser trailer was dropped early 2013, before Witcher 3 even released.

The game "came out" End of year 2020.. (Dec 10)
The game was / is being patched still.. it's 2022.. You aren't getting your first (and likely only.. :lol: ) DLC until after 2023.

You can squabble over 9 years vs 10.. Regardless.. this game has been a black hole of development for over a decade at this point.
Anything else is pure Euro-potato cope.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Witcher 3 GOTY edition released August 30th, 2016 which included all DLC with it. Roughly 15 months after Witcher 3's original release.
CP2077 released 19 months ago.

I'm sure we'll get the DLC any day now bros!

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Can't they just fucking work on this game and try to fix the mess they have made? Instead of spending effort on a shitty card game...
Is there any developer with a brain at CDPR kicking some senses in this company? Because they desperately need it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Can't they just fucking work on this game and try to fix the mess they have made? Instead of spending effort on a shitty card game...
Is there any developer with a brain at CDPR kicking some senses in this company? Because they desperately need it.

As of 2022 half their company is working on Witcher 4.. :lol:
In case it wasn't clear.. they are putting a bullet in its head and moving on.

CDProjekt_DevEfforts_041422.jpg

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter

As of 2022 half their company is working on Witcher 4.. :lol:
In case it wasn't clear.. they are putting a bullet in its head and moving on.

That is the old version of the graph with errors, here is updated version.
1edyvno0fqt81.jpg

Mikeal

Arcane
Even CD Projekt wants some of them board game Kickstarter bux:

Cyberpunk 2077: Gangs of Night City - The Board Game, created in cooperation with @CMON has officially launched on Kickstarter!

It mixes territory control with evolving, branching storylines that will guide you through the tumultuous streets of Night City. Check it out: https://cmon.co/cyberpunk

God dammit multiplayer looks sick!

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
pre-production already as of 2012.
Yeah and pre-production can mean that 5 guys met every once in a while to brain-storm ideas or hack together some prototypes. The actual production cycle, when most of the studio is behind the project and is actually creating the final game, was much shorter. Much too short, as evidenced by the clearly unfinished product.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yeah and pre-production can mean that 5 guys met every once in a while to brain-storm ideas or hack together some prototypes. The actual production cycle, when most of the studio is behind the project and is actually creating the final game, was much shorter. Much too short, as evidenced by the clearly unfinished product.
According to this article by 2013 50 people were working on CP in pre production, between release of W3 expansions that dev team started to grow and after Blood and Wine in 2016 production started with full power.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...earnest-until-after-witcher-3-hearts-of-stone

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
except they were working on the fucking thing for 10 years.
That's highly unlikely.

They announced the game was in pre-production already as of 2012.
Their first teaser trailer was dropped early 2013, before Witcher 3 even released.

The game "came out" End of year 2020.. (Dec 10)
The game was / is being patched still.. it's 2022.. You aren't getting your first (and likely only.. :lol: ) DLC until after 2023.

You can squabble over 9 years vs 10.. Regardless.. this game has been a black hole of development for over a decade at this point.
Anything else is pure Euro-potato cope.
That "teaser trailer" from the beginning of 2013 consisted simply of concept art with little resemblance to the aesthetics of the completed Cyberpunk 2077. The announcement of "pre-production" in 2012 simply meant that CDPR had acquired the license for Cyberpunk 2013/2020 with the intent of eventually developing a game; they were probably engaged only in the creation of said concept art and probably some high-level game design and environmental planning for Night City. It wasn't until the release of The Witcher 3 in 2015 that production on Cyberpunk 2077 began in earnest; they probably intended a similar four-year development timeline as The Witcher 3, but difficulties resulted in it first being pushed back from 2019 to 2020, then repeatedly delayed within 2020, and finally released near the end of the year despite the many glaring bugs and deficiencies.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
if only they had more time, we would've gotten a great rpg! and they definitely wouldn't have just cut it up more to make it run better on consoles or anything
cope.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The announcement of "pre-production" in 2012 simply meant that CDPR had acquired the license for Cyberpunk 2013/2020 with the intent of eventually developing a game; they were probably engaged only in the creation of said concept art and probably some high-level game design and environmental planning for Night City. It wasn't until the release of The Witcher 3 in 2015 that production on Cyberpunk 2077 began in earnest; they probably intended a similar four-year development timeline as The Witcher 3, but difficulties resulted in it first being pushed back from 2019 to 2020, then repeatedly delayed within 2020, and finally released near the end of the year despite the many glaring bugs and deficiencies.

Source: Dude trust me bro.

--

I love how you started so confident then started throwing in words like "they were probably " - after realizing this is all just you head larping and pulling assumptions out of your ass.

Pre-Production is pre-production, do they have developers / artists going full tilt on the game? I doubt game developers moved off Witcher in any capacity, but other segments could and I think some of their developers who did primarily engine development did move over early to start POCing content. I don't remember where I heard Marcin say that though - so you can call bullshit if you want.

TL;DR - Writing, Preliminary design, early POCing, engine work - that's still development on the game.

Now..! maybe you could make an argument that since CDPR is made up of a bunch of polish hacks in middle management positions that really got there through potato-nepotism, who then force everyone to redesign the game 14 times a month up until half their senior developers quit - that pre-production work just "doesn't count"! (since it all ends up as throw-away :lol:)

But I disagree, I still call that development of the game. Sorry Duke of Copeville.

Your so mad that I retardo'd your post. :lol:

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It very much isn't to Cuckdexers.
Some of us called the transfer of resources from the trainwreck of Cyberpunk 2077 to a fourth game in the Witcher setting well before CDPR's announcements made it clear:

If CDPR leadership had any sense, they would have started development on such an Elder Scrolls-like Witcher IV as soon as the trainwreck of Cyberpunk 2077 was made available to the public, intending to pre-empt The Elder Scrolls VI, which is still entirely possible. :M
In before the revelation that the reason for no DLC and slow progress in patching is that CDPR surreptitiously shifted most of their personnel to development of an Open World RPG in the Witcher setting that will release in 2024 well before Bethesda completes the Elder Scrolls VI. :M

Granted, there seems to be a subset of Codexers coping by clinging to the absurd notion that CDPR plans out their games a decade in advance. :M

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I have a post on this subject (when did CP77 properly start production?) somewhere way back in this thread
I said it was sometime by mid 2017 and I'll stick by it - specially given that all the shit that as come to light since then, like the "El Bugado" video
Before that they were making the engine and before that its pre-production most likely consisted of a handful of poles, scatching their balls and throwing "ideas" around just so management could leave then alone

Zariusz

Arbiter
For some the feeling of wasted potential mixed with a tiny light of hope that there is a chance of improvement works like a drug. Some mediocre games can hold fans with this for years.
Others just want to sail the Panam's canal
smug.png

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some of us called the transfer of resources from the trainwreck of Cyberpunk 2077 to a fourth game in the Witcher setting well before CDPR's announcements made it clear:
Then why are people still talking about this garbage?

You keep asking this question. It's because there's nothing like it in terms of a fully-realized cyberpunk atmosphere, and with mods it can be made reasonably okay. The big flaws can't be fixed, but things like level scaling and the junk MMO loot system and the broken build system can, so you can still have fun with it - and modders keep plugging away at it, again, because of the fact that there's nothing out there like it. If you want to soak in a cyberpunk vibe in a fully realized 3-d world with modern graphics, it's still the only and best option.

In a way I guess it's more like a wistful nostalgia for what could have been - plus the occasional heads-up about mods.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Then why are people still talking about this garbage?
Cuz it ain't garbage. Garbage is what my diet looks like. Cyberpunk is an artifact of ambition. A tiny glimpse of what could have been. A feeling. Just go visit the nearest Konzentrationslager and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom