Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Custom character creation + open world + narrative driven main story (+ anything else than isometric perspective) - a recipe for massive compromise with reactivity and C&C. This game just proves it.

Don't forget the fully voiced characters on top. Honestly, I still don't understand how anyone can fall for it, but I probably shouldn't play the devil's advocate.
I'm not forgetting them, that's part of my point. With full character creation, and especially if you have two sexes - you have to spend twice as much on voicing the main character; the voiceover tone will less often match the player's intended roleplaying character than if the game was with a predetermined character; you have to plan conversations with NPCs differently, as no NPC has the same amount of knowledge about the main character as it would have had if the character had been predetermined.

Bottom line - if you're going to do an RP G(ame), do an RPG, if you're going to do an interactive movie with token RPG elements, then do that, but don't try to mix the two things. That's one of the reasons why The Witcher games worked well as interactive movies, and the first one was even a good RPG with bold forays into interactive movie turf. It worked because the main character was predetermined, the world was not fully and not really open (in Witcher 3 the openness was masked behind the player's level) and because the third person perspective in coversations lent additional help to writers in order to bring out the individuality of the main character and the supporting cast.

That's why Badowski buried Cyberpunk 2077 if he decided to make it first person - he immediately took all the aces from the writers and quest designers' hands. The best he could replace them with was a wooden action figure resembling Keanu Reeves.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Hey!

Did something happen with Cyberpunk 2077?

They aren't even thinking about the music it's not even on their list.

There won't be anything changed in the game for patches or in the future for music in Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't have the time to even worry about this anymore I have huge work this spring.

Curious how it all turns out though.

Demos for E3 are always for show to journalists. The best was Ps4 where most of the games could never in

million years look that good on a Ps4.

Now the Ps5 sure. We have 4k we have insane things that they do in England that Sony works on.

Music is mixed in Surround like film. It's always bigger and Wider the better.

Alen Meyerson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9jZqn5lnw4

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
ahh the Cyberpunk 2077 demo at E3!

I contacted the Director of music about that demo because of the music which was totally flat lacked any

kind of emotion or build up of emotion, and just was hoping to God that that wasn't where they were going.

Nice chat with a over ambitious lady who was busy contracting out as many singers as she could.

Over all it all turned out as a disjointed mess from what I can tell. But Props to people that are part of it.

I am sure they all worked hard to get their music in their.

Seems that Cyberpunk 2077 tried to do to many things, just bit to much.

Yoomazir

Educated
What are the chances that this Adam guy is going to take a break from the industry this year.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Witcher games worked well as interactive movies, and the first one was even a good RPG

Do you think so? I thought it was a wonky rhythm game with some moderately interesting story beats.
Yes, maybe I got carried away with that. Of the three witcher games it's the one where game rules seem to matter most over player skills, hence it's the one that's farthest into the RPG part of the spectrum.

Gerrard

Arcane
"Junior programmer" at CDPR making 700 USD/month is complete bullshit, unless we are talking a few hours per week part-time job/paid internship. That amount of money would be just a little above the minimum wage in the Czech Republic at that time. I realise that Poland was always a bit trashy place (I should now since I did my Erasmus in Krakow in 2009), but there is no way anyone would work a qualified full-time job in IT even there for that kind of money.
There are people at CDPR who "would work there for free, for the prestige alone".

Gerrard

Arcane
The gaming is a smashing success despite the whining of cucks and soyboys whom had a fantastical idea of a dream game in their head that was never going to translate into reality.
Game cost more to make than GTA 5 and won't sell even 1/3rd of what it did.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Gerrard

Arcane

Gargaune

Magister
The gaming is a smashing success despite the whining of cucks and soyboys whom had a fantastical idea of a dream game in their head that was never going to translate into reality.
Game cost more to make than GTA 5 and won't sell even 1/3rd of what it did.

The game recouped its costs with the preorders alone.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/12/cyberpunk-2077-costs-recouped-from-preorders/
So?
The essential issue isn't whether it makes its money back or if it makes as much as some other title, it's exclusively whether it makes as much money as they told investors it would. I don't know where their last reported 13 million copies puts them on that score, did any sales projections find their way to the public prior to release?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The essential issue isn't whether it makes its money back or if it makes as much as some other title, it's exclusively whether it makes as much money as they told investors it would. I don't know where their last reported 13 million copies puts them on that score, did any sales projections find their way to the public prior to release?

Bloomberg was reporting market analysts as estimating 30m sales over 12 months from release falling to estimates of 25.6m once the problems with old gen consoles became clear. Obviously that's not CDPR's own internals though.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The more I read and hear about this game, the more it sounds to me like they just didn't have the know how to make this kind of open-world game and faked it all the way to the finish line expecting people wouldn't notice.

Gargaune

Magister
Bloomberg was reporting market analysts as estimating 30m sales over 12 months from release falling to estimates of 25.6m once the problems with old gen consoles became clear. Obviously that's not CDPR's own internals though.
Interesting, thanks. I guess I'd assume internal projections to be on the conservative side, but that's pure speculation on my part. I expect CDPR's priority will be to hop back into Sony's jockstrap by end of February at the very latest, and they may be able to course-correct through 2021.

From a technical perspective, however, what I'd be most interested in is the impact that driving, as a feature, has had on these problems. I say this because the assumption that asset streaming is the biggest bottleneck on older hardware seems to be growing prevalent, and Cyberpunk combines a much more resource-heavy environment with a much faster mode of traversal compared to The Witcher 3. Back in Skyrim, I seem to remember that the lack of properly controllable dragons, something which even modders couldn't pull off, was linked to the engine's inability to load new cells fast enough to cope. And another detail, I decided to test drive the Mizutani Shion earlier today, and after half an hour of playing Carmageddon around Night City, I noticed my CPU was running hot again. I can't say for sure this was the cause, it was just a random observation, but since I haven't been able to consistently link it to anything else, like crowds or visual effects or even play time, it makes me wonder.

ChildInTime

Learned
nx2Wm7.gif

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The game is a smashing success
pole cope hour
fQxD7fr.png

ReEaj7B.png

CDPR's reputation is in the shitter right now. They went from most beloved to hated nearly as much as EA overnight.
What about the sales nigger? Still in top 3 of global top sellers.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

Cdpr lamenting their poor reputation.

15855843b517f52crying_money_woody_h.gif

I just hope they put shit ton of microtransactions in their multi faggot gaymers deserve all of this.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Cdpr lamenting their poor reputation
15855843b517f52crying_money_woody_h.gif
their CEO had to make an ISIS-hostage style video apologizing to their players, yeah I'm sure that's how they're lamenting
just look how happy this guy is
snapshot.jpg
Very sincere just like this:

You are a retard who falls for pr bs but you cant expect anything else from murican mystery meat.
-Low Iq
-No life (23k posts in 2 years :roll:)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom