Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do you think so? I thought it was a wonky rhythm game with some moderately interesting story beats.

It was a janky rhytm-game, sure. BUT it also had character development with huge impact on gameplay. Very powerful and involved alchemy system. Important research on enemy weaknesses (honestly, in the first acts my biggest spend - by far - were books about monsters - and they were a very good investment). Great itemization, with valuable equipment being rare and/or expensive and upgrades feeling properly rewarding. NPCs had very nice daily scripts, no idea why they didn't carry over to the sequels (too many NPCs?). Fantastic atmosphere.

Despite the rhytm combat, it was an excellent crpg (can't quite tell the same about the sequels, which were even more flawed for different reasons).

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I don't care...? It's not like I have a dog in this fight.
that's not what HK would say. HK would say
[Statement] Filthy Meatbags and their mediocre video games.

Its funny about that statement where people talked about Crunch time and CDPR flaked out. They most definitely crunched and it definitely wasn't enough.
You'd have thought they'd learned from Witcher 3's crunch but their whole dethrone rockstar claim made it apparent that you don't get rockstar profits without rockstar work ethic.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
People should note down the names of all the Youtube channels involved. All of them were enablers and failed at their jobs the moment CDProjekt gave them the statues and the jackets.
As much as this was a failure of the AAA industry it is far far more a failure of games journalism and influencers who utterly failed on a level I've never seen before.
For a moment, just a short one, I wanted to say: "And that's why there are professional journalists on big sites!"
Then I remembered that the "I did not play sidequests, they did not feel essential" chic gets paid by IGN.
And memories of the Gamespot/Kyle&Lynch incident came back....

Yeah screw that, only the Kriticool Kodex Konsensus is worth my trust. :obviously:

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I want CDPR to fucking go down in flames.

As long as they don't take GOG with them.

Anyway, I get the argument that staff changed and the game was rebooted and all that, but as I've said before Cyberpunk's problems (on PC anyway) are very similar to Witcher 3's problems. The main difference is the side missions have less story content. If you got all the side missions from the fixers themselves with maybe the client there and some dialog and mild decisions, people would see a lot more clearly that it's the same fucking structure. Follow the map marker, get random loot shit, go to next marker. The real fall of CDPR was after Witcher 2.

Comparing Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk and saying they have similar problems is like saying a car with a flat tire is similar to one with its engine, transmission, and steering wheel missing. C2077 is a game in an early alpha stage, and even saying that I've played alpha early access games that had less missing assets.

In regards to what other people are saying... I don't think crunch or not crunch has anything to do with it. The game just isn't ready, and making people work 24 hour days in the past year wouldn't have changed that.

typical user

Arbiter
Adam Badowski reminds me of a member of a board from company I used to work for a year ago. Basically he fired everyone who disaggreed with his plan (and it led to more people quitting) until a higher-up jack-of-all-trades employee who was doing the heavy-lifting for company said how shitty that member of the board is before throwing his papers (he declined a hefty raise). The company moved that guy on a different less responsible position and from what I am hearing the atmosphere got better and people can now focus on a fucking work. CDPR are giving me flashbacks at this point.

Many CDPR devs said Badowski was the reason why senior devs who pulled The Witcher 3 (it was good for what it was) decided to part ways as they had their own ideas for the game. The dude is so up his ass he says the game is fine since the shills gave it 9/10 or 10/10. And that was after playing for 10 hours as I can't imagine how someone would be able to write a review and beat CP2077 in a week before release. Angry Joe who is a shill gave it 6/10 on PC but he played it on his Twitch and did spend some time with the game. Cyberpunk 2077 is a huge game in a sense it takes many hours of dialog, driving around or other "time-wasters" to crank up playtime. The thing is, dialogs in CP2077 aren't Bethesda-level so it's harder to notice how the game is stretched out - it only has handful of interesting side-quests: Peralez, River, Panam, Judy. The rest of the stories are buried in spam-shards or basically have single short combat encounter so they are over almost in an instant thanks to shitty balance.

Anyway if AB is not removed from his position the company will go bankrupt. He did fuck-up 8-year project and if he is left in charge then I don't see how this game is going to get any better if those 8 fucking years wasn't enough to deliver. Anyway that's what people say on the net but it's hard not to believe those rumours.

Also I think the original idea was that Keanu Reeves was probably a cliff-hanger and the game would probably revolve around building your rep with various fixers and factions and The Heist of Konpeki Plaza would be a final quest. The "wake the fuck up samurai" was probably a post-credits scene to hype up DLCs but someone decided if they got Keanu and he was asking for more screen time then they could get more internet karma for redesigning the story. The Relic thing is 10-15 hours long (not counting Act 1 since that is the best part of the story without ticking bomb in your head), I think Blood and Wine story was longer and it certainly felt more fleshed out than this.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I've heard some speculation that some of the shards were never meant to be shards. They are parts of the script that were meant to be voiced, but since they were told to release the game they just threw half the script onto shards and called it a day. Wouldn't surprise me since it fits what I've seen of the rest of the game. And we have the comments from employees that they needed until 2022 to finish it.

And there's... god I wish I had saved the image, there's a hilarious shard that is a devnote telling someone to write up story on Takemura's background. It's just so obvious that this is the kind of build you would see as an internal tester, only for god knows what reason they decided to throw it into the public and call it a finished game.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Crunch may be a necessesary evil if you have to compensate for a few weeks of unforseen setbacks.
But it is pointless if your crappy time management has put you a year behind schedule.

Nawty dawg went through the press with their crunch policy as well, but at least they released "The Eliott Paige of Vidyagaming 2" in a release worthy state.
Whereas the crunched potatos now look back and scream: "For this? Whyyyyyyyy?"
:negative::outrage:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Imagine unironically wasting an hour+ listening to some tranny talk shit about a videogame everybody knows is bad.

If I wanted to do that I'd just join literally any Discord server.

As I've said multiple times, I don't understand why people feel the need to post random nobody Youtube reviewers. Their opinions don't matter.
The only thing that matters is Codex consensus and it's pretty obvious everyone here realized the game isn't really the second coming of Christ.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I've heard some speculation that some of the shards were never meant to be shards. They are parts of the script that were meant to be voiced, but since they were told to release the game they just threw half the script onto shards and called it a day.
Usually the voice recording happens waaaay early in the development to have time for necessary reshoots.
Or to put it in a other way: if it's not voiced, it was not finished, ready or simply an afterthought at that internal deadline.
Like all those text messages, just extra fluff.
Fixer calls are kept vague, "detes attached". Wasn't more than a general idea at the time of recording.

All those encounters with only a text shard however are the result of the world designers having finished placing dildos everywhere.
They had free time, so they added some quick fluff. Nothing more.

While the codemonkeys were being whipped in the basement.
Sad.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Anyway, I get the argument that staff changed and the game was rebooted and all that, but as I've said before Cyberpunk's problems (on PC anyway) are very similar to Witcher 3's problems. The main difference is the side missions have less story content. If you got all the side missions from the fixers themselves with maybe the client there and some dialog and mild decisions, people would see a lot more clearly that it's the same fucking structure. Follow the map marker, get random loot shit, go to next marker. The real fall of CDPR was after Witcher 2.

Yeah, the gigs sure could use some more introduction/personality.

There is one important distinction, when comparing following the map marker in TW3 and CP2077. In TW3 you follow the marker, suffer trough a fight... and are rewarded with some trash, maybe some crafting components or a recipe - which you are probably never gonna use - unless its your Witcher gear of choice or high end pot.

In CP2077 I follow a marker - and am rewarded by the chance to blow the brains out of my enemies with impressive high tech guns. If there's some loot to be found - gravy, but its not the reason I've come. The fun, visceral (if a bit easy) combat is. Well that and the eddies, of course.

passerby

Arcane
It's just so obvious that this is the kind of build you would see as an internal tester, only for god knows what reason they decided to throw it into the public and call it a finished game.

The reason was a covid induced market opportunity, people are sitting in homes with nothing better to do but play games and there was zero competing AAA open world releases.
So decision was made a half year ago to slice, dice and put together with a duct tape a release build for this christmass season at all costs.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

There is one important distinction, when comparing following the map marker in TW3 and CP2077. In TW3 you follow the marker, suffer trough a fight... and are rewarded with some trash, maybe some crafting components or a recipe - which you are probably never gonna use - unless its your Witcher gear of choice or high end pot.

In CP2077 I follow a marker - and am rewarded by the chance to blow the brains out of my enemies with impressive high tech guns. If there's some loot to be found - gravy, but its not the reason I've come. The fun, visceral (if a bit easy) combat is. Well that and the eddies, of course.
But the game balance is all over the place, it's not satisfying if all you have to do to destroy any enemy in the game is turn up with a gun and half a brain cell

Bliblablubb

Arcane
And since bugs and instability appear to be performance-related, it is quite possible they just didn't see the worst of 'em and there's a reason CDPR didn't hand out console review codes.
Seems about right.
I played on a Ryzon 1600 with a Radeon 580 something and a... HDD. Sad.
Which is a pretty sad toaster indeed, the HDD being the weakest link there.
But, aside from looking like a slighty improved Xbawx game, it doesn't suffer from CTDs ingame.
Sure, sometimes it takes 3 attempts to start the game for some reason, and after driving around a lot I get a memory leak from hell requiring restart, but that's nothing to rant about.

What did create CTDs is putting settings too high tho. Aaaand TAA in mirrors crash my game every time. Had to change the config to get by mandatory mirror moments in cutscenes. Since mods to switch it of in the menu popped up pretty quick, it seems to be a widespread fuckup.
Hillariously you barely notice the lack of TAA during those interactive cutscenes because it is generally shitty AA. But in the outside world, well, the horizon gets pretty jagged... not really a permanent option. Sad.
But hey, FPS went up by a looooot. :hahano:

TLDR: The bugstravaganza seems to come from fancy high settings if your toaster can't take it. Or the classic internal AA problem, even Bethesda fucked that up.
I hesitate blaming pc players for blowing it up, but.... knowing those entitled shits today they probably tried to run it on super ultra deluxe on their 5 yo notebook and whine on twitter because they saw a bluescreen for the first time in their life. :hahano:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

But the game balance is all over the place, it's not satisfying if all you have to do to destroy any enemy in the game is turn up with a gun and half a brain cell

If you're looking for challenge that will keep you on the edge, then I suppose not.
However if you'd like to de-stress a little, blow the heads of a few enemies, enjoy your OP "build", while enjoying the dystopia metropolis' atmosphere - it works for me.

Of course, if overdosed, it could become tedious - since it IS pretty repetitive.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
OP build = pick literally any perk

k
If you pick a perk that adds 3% to your damage 3 times, that'll hardly make you feel OP.
But I kinda get your point, there's plenty of strong combinations and it doesn't require a genius to discover them.

Still, its kinda nice when the different parts of the puzzle come together - mainly perks + supporting cyberware (particularly stuff like Synaptic Accelerator, Kerenzikov, Sandevistan - different sets for different playstyles), potentially also quickhacks.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It would of have already been a massive incline to remove all the markers from the map and having to call/visit fixers to get gigs. Why are they even visitable?
But the fact that there are fast travel points every 50 meters shows they were aiming for the "mom gave me 30 mins playtime, I need action rite nao!" crowd. Sad.

Yosharian

Arcane
But it literally does, that's how balanced the game is. Pick a couple of damage perks and grab a semidecent gun and you'll start destroying people.

I went a tech/cool/hacking build that was meant to be lacking in damage and I STILL annihilated enemies past a certain point just by virtue of turning up.

This is without addressing the issue of effectively infinite hp regen from stimpacks

Game is trash dude

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom