Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 Release Thread - The Next Gen Update

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Sam Ecorners, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    Worst case scenario: they go out with a whimper, not a bang.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    I thought was going crazy the first time I experienced that. Like wait is there really no sound effect when you craft an item??? Lmao.

What a fucking shit game.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Didn't a lot of people complain about you having to craft parts or something one by one instead of bulks? its probably a blessing crafting not having sounds. Listening to dings or whatever every time you craft worthless things would probably drive people insane.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    All of the issues in that video were known issues with the PS4 version. It's not really reflective of the PC version in anyway. CDPR should not have released the game on PS4 and XBOX. Everyone knows that at this point. CDPR knows that at this point. Honestly, while I was all in on the backlash to this game on its release, now I'm sick of the backlash and am ready for a backlash to the backlash.

To me the game is comparable to CDPR's past work on most levels. It doesn't have near the level of story content of Witcher 3, but it definitely has the same amount, if not more, than Witcher 2. It has better combat than Witcher 2 and 3 and I even think it has greater variety in builds, although that admittedly doesn't say much. To me the game has three major issues that mark a severe decline from CDPR's previous work that they should legit be criticized for, some of which were clearly due to outright fuck-ups, while others were due to poor design decisions.

1. The open world NPC AI is so bad that it has to be an overt fuck up. It wreaks of being a last minute patch job where they gutted whatever system they were working on and replaced it with NPCs who were more or less entirely aesthetic. Yes, Witcher 3's NPCs weren't always brilliant. However, they didn't warp in and out when you looked around, and while most were filler content who were primarily there for aesthetic reasons, it employed enough scripted NPCs with set schedules in various locations that it gave things a bit more life.

2. The Gig system, which comprises the vast majority of the game's side quests, is a questionable design decision, yet seems intentional to me. They have little story content and are fairly formulaic, yet the way that they are designed seems so fundamental to how the game works, that I can't imagine that they were a last minute compromise. It seems like they were consciously planned from the start to work this way, something supported by the fact that while they have little story content, they nonetheless tend to have frequently elaborate, unique, levels with multiple paths for accomplishing objectives (or almost all do, I think I saw them re-use the same layout for a compound once or twice). They also tie into the over all Fixer quests and will occasionally yield one or two missions that are more involved and scripted. That said, the game relies WAY too heavily on the formulaic ones for content, so it's very possible that the GIGs were originally intended to be more elaborate, yet as the developers approached the deadline, they started creating a bunch more using the formula just to add content.

3. The lack of C&C in the main and side quests is the other issue, and I'm not sure if this was conscious or a fuck up. CP's scripted missions are as well-written as anything CDPR has done before, but they lack C&C, so they always feel on-rails. Even the gameplay in them is so limited, compared to the variety of ways you can tackle objectives in the Gigs, that they remind me of Half-Life 2 at times.

Beyond those 3 issues, I think the game largely matches or exceeds CDPR's past work.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Given that the game was intended to have several more characters equivalent to Johnny, characters that exist and are highly fleshed out in the ttrpg lore, as well as more life path and relationship content, it makes sense that the CnC is weak. They cut like 70% of the main content and went all in on Keanu.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. 502 Learned

For the record I have an i7-7700k and GTX 1070 and I built my gaming PC in 2017. I also installed the game on a Samsung EVO SSD.

Haven't experienced any of the "common" visual glitches in that video, except the trees bending over in the distance and erecting back up when you approach them. The only major gameplay related issue I can think of was Jackie and Misty not letting me continue after seeing Vik downstairs, which wasn't even a softlock as I had feared. It was simply resolved going outside and doing a skirmish with a gang and going back. They also fixed it permanently with 1.04
    • Fixed Jackie’s issues with sitting still in The Ripperdoc.
    Of course itemization and perks are completely broken and fucked and in dire need of an Enhanced Edition.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mefi Prophet Patron

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    My experience of the game is one which varies by save file. I've one save where I'm hard pushed to spot an actual bug or glitch beyond the odd T-pose when driving. I've another where I can near guarantee any triggered event will result in something falling from the sky, being stuck in the floor, or other engine goofiness. And a couple which range in the middle of those extremes. It's very peculiar, and all were started under 1.06. Samsung Evo 860 SSD, AMD 5600x, 16gb Gskill at sweet spot for the CPU, and a GTX 1080sc. It's not CPU related as I've also tried swapping my old 1600x back in and nothing changed, for better or worse, by save file. CTDs are likewise by save file and also very streaky with lots happening in short periods when they do start. Does make me wonder what would cause such variable experiences of the game.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    I keep hearing this and it is a sign of denial, reasoning. "B-but maybe if they dropped this version the game would be better".

Look, this is what you can play on consoles, so don't tell me CP2077 can't be:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. daveyarsegallant Arcane Vatnik Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    RDR2 doesn't have the same urban density or verticality that Cyberpunk does.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ezekiel Arcane

Ezekiel
    "The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that's just me."

I wish I had known William Gibson said this weeks ago when I got into an argument with a bunch of shills for saying the cyberpunk in CP 2077 is shallow at best. It would have been perfect, because they were using a Wikipedia definition that had part of a Gibson quote. They told me he is the authority on the subject and locked my thread. Would have been perfect.

^ Top  
  11. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Was gonna say the same, much as I loved crowbcat's video and especially that quip about "needing an upgrade" at the 13-minute mark, this hasn't been my experience. If that's what PS4 players are getting I'm not surprised they're pissed, but I can't relate.

I'm curious, though, anyone here play it on Xbox? I mean, Microsoft haven't pulled it from the store, I'm wondering whether it's purely a performance problem, or if it's compounded by bad PS4 optimisation in particular.

We're recycling arguments at this point, but no, that was absolutely impossible from a business perspective. The project was commercially planned to target the entire mainstream segment, and that still means Xbox One and PS4 much more than it does PC, you can't just change those financial projections at the end of development. The Xbox Series X and PS5 are just out the door to coincide with Cyberpunk's release after its multiple delays, and they're subject to severe supply shortages as-is, it'll be Christmas 2021 before they make up any sizable market segment among the core gaming demographic, and even then it'll have probably been insufficient to support a re-targeting. As for doing a staggered release, PC and new consoles before the old generation, that would've likely been shot down by Sony and Microsoft since even though it might've encouraged adoption of their new platforms, it also ran the risk of chasing some customers to PC, especially given the supply shortages and related high prices for early adoption.

I do agree with this. As serious as the problems are, the situation's been blown out of proportion by social media and an "enthusiast" press who love bitching more than a Codexer at a RTwP convention.

Yes, from a technical perspective, RDR2 is a higher-res/poly Witcher 3, it won't be as resource-intensive as CBP. That's not to say CDPR didn't fuck up, but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

^ Top  
  12. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    So guys, what's the rough consensus?

I noticed it didn't do too well in the GOTY poll.

• popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Very pretty, quite popamole, kinda buggy.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Heh, I just found out my game has crashed a total of... 106 times so far.

Why do I know that? Because there are 106 crash reports with a total size of 2.5gb in the game's "ReportQueue" folder. :hahano:
    :negative:

"You clicked on 'don't send error report' when we asked you to? Fuck you player, we let those files bloat up your HD now forever!"

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Where is the ReportQueue folder? Install dir or Docs?

Regarding the crashes, are you using the Cyber Engine Tweaks mod? I just installed it last night and found that the game now crashes every time I click Quit Game. I mean, it shuts down alright, but the Crash Reporter pops up. Solution? Go into Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\CrashReporter and rename Crash Reporter.exe to hobble it. Just one warning, though, I have had the 1.06 patch refuse to deploy after I tinkered with the game files, so if you start messing with things, be prepared to have to download the full setup again if you update in the future.

Edit: Scratch that, disabling Crash Reporter.exe stops the popup asking you to send the damn thing, but the game still writes a crash report. So, really, you're better off leaving Crash Reporter.exe as it is, so you know when your hard drive's getting littered, and instead quitting the game via Task Manager if you have the same problem that I do.

By the way, I found the folder, it's AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue, and yes, you will want to clear it if you experience regular crashes.

Fuck's sake, CDPR, I just wanna pimp my ride. :negative:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Consensus is it will be a fairly above average action game with mild RPG elements... in a year's time when it's properly patched

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    Still buggy, but as a game, oscillates between moments of sheer brilliance (most of its main quest-line, the graphics, the city itself), some good stuff (the very Deus Ex variety with which you can tackle side-missions), moments of mediocrity (its skills, combat, and loot and crafting system), and some bad stuff (the reliance on formulaic filler content for 80% of its side-missions and open world tasks, the open world NPC and Cop AI, the horrible driving physics).

Right now it's a solid 3/5 star game, on average, with the possibility to move up to a 4/5 star game if CDPR fixes the bugs, fixes the open world AI, and releases some additional DLC content that adds more varied side missions and/or introduces more procedural systems for the game's open world.

TLDR: If you liked Witcher 3, you'll probably like this. However, unless you have a burning desire to play it right now, it's worth waiting to buy. The main missions are wonderful, but they don't have much replay value. There are also bugs, so it'd probably be best to wait for all the DLC to release and bugs to be fixed, then just play it all in one go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Hmm, just looked this up. I've got two reports in there, one from 12/13/2020 and one from 01/17/2021. The log file claims it successfully deleted the first crash report from 12/13, because it's set to automatically delete every crash report that's older than 30 days. Obviously, this claim is in error. Seems like a bug.

Also, the first report couldn't be delivered because their server noped out from "too many requests" :D.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    Saint Denis. Or we can compare it to Watch Dogs Legion. Or Spider-Man on PS4... Or Fallout 4.

Also let's not forget Marcin Iwiński held a press conference about Cyberpunk 2077 somewhere in 2012 a year at least before PS4 or Xbox One were officially launched.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    The best part is all the fanboys in the comments: "Yeah but CDPR!!!!!!!!"
    Poor fools.

^ Top  
  21. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Quoted the wrong guy there. Where did you find the 30-day config for the reporter?

I noticed that Cyber Engine Tweaks supplies a global.ini for the executable directory that also includes a DisableCrashDumps flag, but enabling it doesn't seem to make a difference.

^ Top  
  22. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I think there are some things that would definitely be better if they didn't target one uniform build for all consoles + PC. For example, the NPCs just despawning instantly the moment you look away is one. On PC there is basically zero performance impact from NPCs and this wouldn't be necessary at all, but on console that's clearly not the case. So the world would be less silly in that sense... but that's really trivial stuff tbh, while it would be nice for it to not be that way, the real problems with the game are not that, and have much more to do with "this is a game 2 years out from release" than "the hardware can't handle it".

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Its a new genre "press F simulator". Try it, maybe you'll like it, we even have some fans here

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Oops, sorry for that.

The CrashReporter.log file claims that. Here an excerpt:

01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Looking for old reports to clean. Storage period is set to 30 days.
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Total report count: 2.
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Old reports to delete: 1.
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deleting report: C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue\Cyberpunk2077-20201213-....
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Age: 35.17:00:28.4410137
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Deletion succeeded.
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Cleanup.OldReportCleaner|Cleanup finished.
    01/17/2021 18:02:58 +01:00|INFO|Redbug.Reporter.CP2077.Preparation.ReportCreator|Report creator has been invoked.

The "deleted" report is still there.

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.