Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The bugs don't matter. I've seen nothing that wouldn't be fixable.
The story is neither here nor there, it feels like something the average DM would come up with. Good story Npcs though.

The real issue is the overall handling of the setting. I've skimmed through the CP wiki and even a cursory glance shows you just how much they either didn't implement or plain got wrong or didn't think through. THAT is the real reason the game doesn't feel right. Especially in direct comparison to the Witcher series.
An AI which is subpar to a fucking 2013 GTA isn't something you'll fix away with a bugfix or a patch. It'd take a complete overhaul and investment, months of work at least. People keep mentioning BUGS while there are clear DESIGN FAULTS and the two are by all means not the same.

I haven't really played enough to notice faults with the AI yet. There was like ONE firefight so far.

Hellion

Arcane
Driving and the AI mechanics it involves are probably the worst flaw in the game, as far as I'm concerned.

FFS, during the quests where you participate in car races, if during a race you start to get too much ahead of your opponents, then suddenly everyone despawns and then automatically RESPAWNS 50-100 meters behind you. It's pure retardation.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The biggest problem is when you are using hdd for this game and guess what those shitboxes have on board, I say it all the time people saying that it looks like shit are retarted, there are many problems with the game but graphics aint one of them, the biggest problem is shitty police system and non existent vehicle ai but I didnt expect anything else from cdpr in this regard.

Both PS4 and XBox One use 5400rpm HDDs so yeah, I'd imagine that's quite the factor.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Driving and the AI mechanics it involves are probably the worst flaw in the game, as far as I'm concerned.

FFS, during the quests where you participate in car races, if during a race you start to get too much ahead of your opponents, then suddenly everyone despawns and then automatically RESPAWNS 50-100 meters behind you. It's pure retardation.
Driving is fun to me I agree on the vehicle ai though and sadly I dont think they are going to do anything about it :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I want to be in a sandbox cyberpunk game:

f03fb142089de8c6e258b0c6732004c0.jpg
Better things to be than a blinking red light, really.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The biggest problem is when you are using hdd for this game and guess what those shitboxes have on board, I say it all the time people saying that it looks like shit are retarted, there are many problems with the game but graphics aint one of them, the biggest problem is shitty police system and non existent vehicle ai but I didnt expect anything else from cdpr in this regard.

Ah interesting, thank you. One could link performance to graphics I suppose, and anyone chasing fps is going to pay a tax on that with this. But I found 40/50 fps more than ample to play so long as it was steady. Definitely agree that graphics just aren't an issue beyond that on PC at least. Scripting for AI behaviour is definitely either unfinished or poorly thought through. Can see it with other AI NPC interactions - like bumping into one and crowds of people starting to yell 'Psychopath' at you and huddle crouched on the floor. Not the best.

KK1001

Arbiter
Game has serious problems, but retards thinking this would be like GTA are delusional. Anyone with half a brain could intuit that the gameworld was largely non-interactive, fragile window dressing, just like the Witcher 3.

Anyone who bought this game for PS4 or Xbone after the entire game was delayed because of "problems getting it to run, like, at all," on those systems has only themselves to blame. I'm pissed at CDPR for not just cutting out last gen consoles entirely, but alas, $$$.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All the tranny shit is a perfect example of something that COULD make for an intelligent statement but doesn't because it's there for no reason other than window dressing. Something the trannies should actually be angry about, if they had an IQ above room temperature.

So it's a world where you can just swap your sexy bits at will. Fair enough, sounds futuristic enough. But what are the implications? lol who cares, here's an ad with a dickgirl! Funny! Trannies angry, reeee!
Instead the game should be asking: How does society react to such a trend? Every society has social mores, even if the one in CP is deeply amoral. The setting makes a big deal out of cyberpsychosis - It's only logical that someone who regularly swaps their cock'n'balls for a vagina would develop serious issues then, no? What about high society, corpos? Is it totally acceptable for a CEO to front as a stronk wahmen one day and a Chad the next? Or would they require their employess to adhere to certain standards while at work, if only to make the company look professional? What about the really poor or outsiders like the nomads who can't get access to a tranny surgeon easily? Wouldn't nomads look down on such a practice as decadent?

It goes on and on. Nobody says it's required for them to give answers to these questions but at the very least they should come up at some point or another. Otherwise it's, again, just style over substance.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bug compilation videos are ideal to make you believe the game is a constant bug mess.

I have had 5 five minor glitches in a total of 11 hours of gameplay.
With updated Nvidia drivers and patches, I'm now reaching stable 30 FPS on GTX 980 on Ultra. A 6 y.o graphic card.
You can reach 60 FPS on low easily and it still looks okay.
Please tell me more about how this game is completely broken.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All the tranny shit is a perfect example of something that COULD make for an intelligent statement but doesn't because it's there for no reason other than window dressing. Something the trannies should actually be angry about, if they had an IQ above room temperature.

So it's a world where you can just swap your sexy bits at will. Fair enough, sounds futuristic enough. But what are the implications? lol who cares, here's an ad with a dickgirl! Funny! Trannies angry, reeee!
Instead the game should be asking: How does society react to such a trend? Every society has social mores, even if the one in CP is deeply amoral. The setting makes a big deal out of cyberpsychosis - It's only logical that someone who regularly swaps their cock'n'balls for a vagina would develop serious issues then, no? What about high society, corpos? Is it totally acceptable for a CEO to front as a stronk wahmen one day and a Chad the next? Or would they require their employess to adhere to certain standards while at work, if only to make the company look professional? What about the really poor or outsiders like the nomads who can't get access to a tranny surgeon easily? Wouldn't nomads look down on such a practice as decadent?

It goes on and on. Nobody says it's required for them to give answers to these questions but at the very least they should come up at some point or another. Otherwise it's, again, just style over substance.
Deus Ex asked intelligent questions and went philosophical in clever ways. Even new Deus Exes were good at it.

Cyberpunk is just a wacky silly story.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Deus Ex asked intelligent questions and went philosophical in clever ways. Even new Deus Exes were good at it.

Cyberpunk is just a wacky silly story.

Augs live matter.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
There is funny vtmb easter egg on the radio, Mike pondsmith is the radio host and he is talking about how vampires secretly rule night city even the sarcophagus is mentioned.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron

I'm going to offer mitigation for that because Cyberpunk 2020 is a superficial take on cyberpunk and staying true to that is what gets you the nonsense conversations with Dex and Jackie about glory followed by an investigation into sex slavery and snuff movies as a tick box exercise straight after. Fully agree with your take and on how poor it is. It's 'how cool would it be to have Keanu Reeves in your head? Very cool or so cool you'd explode?'. So you've got a very superficial setting by design and choice, not Gibson asking where the boundaries of reality are, and who is policing them, nor even Dick playing about with the idea of 'can you tell a disabled person from a robot well enough not to shoot both?'.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I'm going to offer mitigation for that because Cyberpunk 2020 is a superficial take on cyberpunk and staying true to that is what gets you the nonsense conversations with Dex and Jackie about glory followed by an investigation into sex slavery and snuff movies as a tick box exercise straight after. Fully agree with your take and on how poor it is. It's 'how cool would it be to have Keanu Reeves in your head? Very cool or so cool you'd explode?'. So you've got a very superficial setting by design and choice, not Gibson asking where the boundaries of reality are, and who is policing them, nor even Dick playing about with the idea of 'can you tell a disabled person from a robot well enough not to shoot both?'.

That's the impression I got from reading the source material too. "WOAH HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF A BUNCH OF PUNK ROCKERS FOUGHT THE ESTABLISHMENT DUDE??!!"
But even that's something the game doesn't get right. There ain't no punk rock to be found here.

e: Sure would be cool if you had any idea what the radio stations are actually about. Something like... I dunno, a cool guy behind a mic who talks about the music he's playing? He could manually change tracks, too. Like some sort of disc... changer.

orcinator

Liturgist

That's the impression I got from reading the source material too. "WOAH HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF A BUNCH OF PUNK ROCKERS FOUGHT THE ESTABLISHMENT DUDE??!!"
But even that's something the game doesn't get right. There ain't no punk rock to be found here.

e: Sure would be cool if you had any idea what the radio stations are actually about. Something like... I dunno, a cool guy behind a mic who talks about the music he's playing? He could manually change tracks, too. Like some sort of disc... changer.
At some point the voice acting budget had to run out.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron

It's that they do nothing with the contrasts which irritated me most with it. Or rather they are constantly happy to leave the conclusion as something intended to shock rather than to be explored or to stimulate character development (as you're locked into what they provide). Punch someone, have a smoke, on to the next choreographed shoot-up. Just missing someone shouting Wyld Stallyns to mark the end of chapter.

Inziladun

Magister
Eh not getting the hate. The game is alright, I think the biggest disappointing factor so far as been the limited dialogue choices and the generic gameplay options (open map, locations where you're notified to kill things, people spamming you with quests, boxing quest chain, racing quest chain.) To some degree this is unavoidable, but it all comes together pretty meh. But my expectations for this game were pretty much nonexistent because CDPR didn't release jack shit about it, and what little they teased I only half paid attention to. The city itself is pretty great, wish there were more ways to interact with it.

All in all, it's a decent game. AI is laughably bad though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom