Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Drop Duck

Learned

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would be happy with a "expansion" that doesnt actually add new content but just restore the things they cut from the game.

Well, that'd be a lot more content then most "expansions" nowadays.

Although they did pretty big ones for Witcher in the past.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would be happy with a "expansion" that doesnt actually add new content but just restore the things they cut from the game.

Well, that'd be a lot more content then most "expansions" nowadays.

Although they did pretty big ones for Witcher in the past.

True and I would not hope for everything but some things.

Like expanding existing quests and dialogs with additional options, so you have new alternate paths of solving some quests and your background being a bigger factor trough the game.

Restoring lost character customization options like skills, attributes and lifepaths that play part with above point.

More immersive world with NPC schedules and better behavior.

Better police and reputation system.

But yeah even that would be a lot of work.

RepHope

Savant
They were never going to remake the game or rewrite the story the way some retards were thinking was possible. They fucked up massively and now they are better off just cutting their losses and moving on to Witcher 4, hopefully learning some lessons in the process. Lessons like:
  • Don’t talk about features before they’re ready
  • Don’t promise shit you don’t know if you can deliver
  • Don’t blatantly lie about the state of your game and then be surprised when people call you out
  • Don’t ignore the lower level devs telling you shit isn’t ready, and believe your own hype about “CDPR magic”
My guess is there will be a “Cyberpunk 2078” after Witcher 4 that takes place in a new location with a new protagonist. I don’t think they’ll abandon the IP anymore than BioWare is abandoning Mass Effect despite fucking that franchise up too. If Witcher 4 is well received most people will give CP2078 the benefit of the doubt, and if not they’ll either go belly up or get bought out so no point in caring either way.

Caim

Arcane
I'd start with making the most barebones minimum viable product and iterate on that. Instead of going wide from day 1 and building up make a solid core pillar of your game, then expand from there. Start with a good vision of what you want the game to be, order things based on how they depend on one another and start with the features at the center before branching out. If later features clash with earlier features figure out an answer, then continue from there.

racofer

Thread Incliner
This will be the one and only expansion before abandoning the game and the engine

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/uyc0ug/adam_kiciński_states_that_cyberpunk_2077_2023/

mJkUeVh.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So did anyone read the leaks? I want to know what the expansion is going to be about but cba to download the leak and read the dialogue text

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They should just release the dev tools and be done with it. The fans already proved they can add a lot to the game like that train stuff and shooting from bikes and inside cars and other things.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should just release the dev tools and be done with it. The fans already proved they can add a lot to the game like that train stuff and shooting from bikes and inside cars and other things.

Yes, the failure of this game means the best course of action is to cut their own throats and ensure that any follow up they may have to try and recoup some of the investment are more likely to flop.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yes, the failure of this game means the best course of action is to cut their own throats and ensure that any follow up they may have to try and recoup some of the investment are more likely to flop.
This piece of shit trash already sold 18 million units or so. Their scam worked. If they care so much about their retarded community they should release the dev kit to let the fans fix their stupid game since they are clearly more competent than those crooks.

Edit: typos because why not.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I doubt a dev kit is going to do anything substantial. The issues and limitations of Cyberpunk are baked in, because they had to rush a large portion of the development and that means hacking. Lots and lots of hacking. Inelegant solutions which cannot be easily expanded on. Which is most likely the main reason for why the fixes were so limited in scope. And also why the game is unsuited for multiple big DLC efforts. They would have to completely rebuild large portions of the game to actually improve it. Rebuilding it for 0$ makes no sense, if you can just build a Cyberpunk 2088 instead and sell it for a full price, even if it's a lot of the same. It works every time for other franchises.

Vatnik Wumao
if you can just build a Cyberpunk 2088 instead and sell it for a full price, even if it's a lot of the same. It works every time for other franchises.
Yeah, I doubt that people will line up to buy it. There's no good faith to capitalize upon with this franchise when the first game was an unfinished product that had generated a lot of unwarranted hype prior to release (through false advertisement among others things no less).

somerandomdude

Learned
You know, I asked this very same question in the Steam forums section, and the comment got moderated, but if I get mantis arms surgically installed at a mod shop, does that make me a non-binary gender?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yeah, I doubt that people will line up to buy it. There's no good faith to capitalize upon with this franchise when the first game was an unfinished product that had generated a lot of unwarranted hype prior to release (through false advertisement among others things no less).
I wasn't one of the super hyped fans of Cyberpunk, I just played the game for what it was and would definitely give the eventual sequel a chance. Maybe the fans are so bitter now, they'll never buy a CDPR project ever again. Or maybe they will, because inside every cynic resides a kernel of hope and there is literally nothing else out there with the same promise. Outer Worlds 2? Bitch, please.

I feel like the overall reception to the game wasn't straight negative and as hardware continues to catch-up, I can see more people enjoying the game for what it is. Hell, this nigga praised it over 7 hours and got half a mil views out of it:

(don't click if you hate faggy soyboys)

Wesp5

Arcane
I doubt a dev kit is going to do anything substantial. The issues and limitations of Cyberpunk are baked in, because they had to rush a large portion of the development and that means hacking.

Don't underestimate the modders! In case of Cyberpunk it could even be beneficial, as once CDPR stops patching it, the modders can do what they want without fear the next update will break everthing again. Like it happens in GTA5 all the time...

ADL

Prophet
Quoting myself from the other thread about whether or not CDPR still has a good game left in them.
I think they have a much better shot at one after making the move to Unreal now that they're not being bottlenecked by developing a proprietary engine. This will be an unpopular position but I think a good portion if not the majority of 2077's issues were a result of technical issues creating a huge backlog. Even without danger hairs, you were never going to get 2077 as envisioned.
Cyberpunk 2077 is mostly positive at 430,000 reviews on Steam right now. It'll only go up from here as modders continue to learn the tools and do their thing on top of the expansion's release and deeper discounts. Any apprehension towards a new CDPR game will go out the window the moment they show Witcher 4 running on Unreal Engine 5 with multiplayer. Cyberpunk 2 will coast on the goodwill earned from Witcher 4, not that it needed it. The IP is only slightly damaged.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cyberpunk 2077 is mostly positive at 430,000 reviews on Steam right now. It'll only go up from here as modders continue to learn the tools and do their thing on top of the expansion's release and deeper discounts. Any apprehension towards a new CDPR game will go out the window the moment they show Witcher 4 running on Unreal Engine 5 with multiplayer. Cyberpunk 2 will coast on the goodwill earned from Witcher 4, not that it needed it. The IP is only slightly damaged.

I'm more in the same boat as Kjaska. I didn't follow the game before launch and I often don't because so much is always bullshit, so I didn't really have any hype for it until right before release and it ran well on my reasonably decent gaming PC. It gave me more or less what I expected: a pretty but somewhat vapid cyberpunk shooting story and the let downs were irritating but largely negligible when looking at the whole picture (disappearing NPCs, everything to do with the police, etc.).

All in all, it gave me nearly 100 hours where I enjoyed myself, which is far better than most of the shit out there. I'd pick up a sequel, but CDPR should really have an eye to either properly scope out their system requirements / console limitations, or make stripped down ports for the last gen like companies used to since I would've been PISSED if I would've picked up the PS4 version instead.

Perkel

Arcane
I doubt a dev kit is going to do anything substantial. The issues and limitations of Cyberpunk are baked in, because they had to rush a large portion of the development and that means hacking.

You mean like what ? Game was sure buggy at launch yes but aside from that i can't really see the issues you are talking about. Design wise it is completely fine. Most of criticism i saw was mostly coming from people expecting GTA game not an RPG. Like often mentioned "police system".

My own issues with game mostly are connected to game balancing. And this is where modders can do much good like they did with TW3EE. I would love to see overhaul of C77 which would make it much harder game. Even playing at very hard game is easy for me. And you can see how good it can be when you go out of your way to attack much higher level characters and game then transforms from action game into something closer to MGS5 and action is not rewarded but stealth and thinking is.

On other hand thanks to structure of game it is way easier to add new content to C77 than to something like TW3. For one you don't need to create new land as there are bajilions of buildings you could make interior for and just connect it to "locked door" you see often in city. GIGs are now received as sms same as resolve of it so you don't need to record any voice for them.

C77 should be great way to mod stuff. IT just need some developer made toolkit for harder stuff like making edits in game world, creating interiors etc. Hopefully they will release it as they hired people who were working already on mod tools for community.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If they make a sequel I really hope that they do a simple main quest.

One thing I really hate about storytelling in a sandbox open world game is main story with a sense of urgency.

"I need to find my father!", "I need to find my child!", "I need to find a solution for my consciousness being taken over!"

When you have a game that its all about exploring having a main quest with a sense of urgency creates a disconnect between the player and the game.

Only time this actually worked was in Fallout 1.

Just make something like in Saints Row, a rise to power from a lowly gang member to a crime lord or something like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom