Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

SumDrunkGuy

Does anyone have examples of authors trashing adaptations of their work when they were released (not decades after)?
Frank Miller? I'm pretty sure he gets off by shitting on adaptations of his stuff.

vibehunter

Learned
Reminder that Mike Pondsmith is a massive weeb and he made Teenagers from Outer Space by binging the works of Rumiko Takahashi (the Ranma and Inuyasha lady), then turned it into an RPG.
Reminder that Mike Pondsmith kept shilling this trash game and never had even one issue with it.
Correction - he never SAID that had even one issue with it. Which shouldn't be surprising. George R.R. Martin didn't trash GoT when he had plenty of reasons to.

Because the tub of lard got his paycheck and moved on. In fact, he moved on so much he’s neglected to finish the books.

Though it seems clear to me that the man has written himself into a corner.

hpstg

Savant
If it was released for the current generation of consoles only, and in the current state, without all the bullshit hype, the game would be much better received.

It clearly needs a year at least to flesh out interactivity, but I'm still amazed at points by the sheer artistry and design of a ton of the locations, as well as some small surprises in some of the sidequests.

For what it is (a shooter with rpg elements), the game is fine, and if you got the proper computer/display/audio setup with good hdr and Atmos, it's probably still the best looking game made to date, especially considering the sheer scope of its locations.

Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, just dropping in to ask, a year and a half later, did this ever reach anything like a playable state? I don't mean the greatest game ever it was hyped to be ... just, is it a game at all at this point?
I completed Witcher 3 three times total, and I couldn't finish a single playthrough of CP2077.
The plot is terrible and peaks within the first few hours. Reactivity is low, consistency is bad e.g., you'll be on a mission when your headmate is friendly with you then afterwards he has an open world dialogue and is rude with you because it was designed around the PC visiting the area earlier or whatever. Very jarring.
Mechanically, the game is a joke. There's plenty of "wtf"s like a mission where you have an AI car "drive" you around(it's all scripted, including the traffic) then you realize the game has no actual AI cars because the AI is too poor to drive you around :lol: So then you wonder, how does the traffic work? Well, it doesn't. Cars just magically appear and disappear depending on the player's sight. Half a billion dollars.

Strangely enough, the gameplay loop itself was satisfying and what kept me playing the longest.

Unless you're a big fan of the cyberpunk genre, I see no real reason to play this.

Codex Year of the Donut
also lol at the wikipedia page
After years of anticipation, CD Projekt released Cyberpunk 2077 for PlayStation 4, Stadia, Windows, and Xbox One on 10 December 2020, followed by PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S on 15 February 2022. It received praise from critics for its narrative, setting, and graphics, although some of its gameplay elements received mixed responses, while its themes and representation of transgender characters received some criticism. It was also widely criticized for bugs, particularly in the console versions, which suffered from performance problems; Sony removed it from the PlayStation Store from December 2020 to June 2021 while CD Projekt rectified some of the problems.
The real issue with cp2077 was transgender representation all along

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Why one would ever chop off their dick in a world with full-fledged cybersex hardware and the ability to just brain-dance through a real experience of a real woman is beyond me.

Unwanted

Don Salieri

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Why one would ever chop off their dick in a world with full-fledged cybersex hardware and the ability to just brain-dance through a real experience of a real woman is beyond me.
In a cyberpunk shithole troons don't make sense not because they wouldn't chop off their cocks, they would, along with other limbs, but because what is a woman if people can buy bodyparts like they shop for clothes? The first thing feminists would get stapled onto them would be cybercocks since the entire movement is driven by penis-envy.

Absinthe

Arcane
Stephen King is a fucking asshole. Kubrick took the work and made it his own, and it is a fucking masterpiece.
I have no idea how this thread turned into Stephen King somehow being more of an asshole than Kubrick, but you really need to get your eyes examined.

Unless you're a big fan of the cyberpunk genre, I see no real reason to play this.
I'd say if you're a big fan of the cyberpunk genre, that's another reason to avoid this. This is like a really shitty GTA knockoff calling itself cyberpunk just because it has hairdos and cyberware. It doesn't really do shit with the usual cyberpunk themes or fulfill the cyberpunk aesthetic.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I have no idea how this thread turned into Stephen King somehow being less of an asshole than Kubrick, but you really need to get your eyes examined.
That's...not what I said.

Kubrick was definitely a bit of an asshole at times, but we're talking about different types of assholery. And the movie version of The Shining is a masterpiece.

Absinthe

Arcane
When it comes to Kubrick being an asshole, The Shining is definitely one of those cases where he went there. Also, The Shining was fucking overrated. I honestly don't know how people felt scared by that movie or shit. Felt weak both as a drama and as a horror movie, because Kubrick is bad at drawing out sentiment like that. It's a half-assed play on confusion and jump-scares by a very pretentious director far as I could tell. Movie damn plain failed at the most basic element of getting you engrossed into the story of the protagonist(s). Just because it spawned tons of pop culture references doesn't mean it was good. It was actually just boring and underwhelming.

Absinthe

Arcane
It is what it is. Dunno what you saw in the movie but when Stephen King criticized it I found myself pretty much agreeing with his assessment. Kubrick's characters are just unsympathetic and their struggles aren't portrayed in a way that makes you interested in what they're going through. It's just a crazy guy going after his family while the movie behaves very pretentiously about how he's magically insane and the boy gets visions while the mom is basically a giant victim who manages to escape with her child.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of potential in the narrative concept, the plight of the family and the haunted hotel with the way it lives in the past and whatnot, but the execution was just lacking. I guess if the concepts are new to you the movie seems a lot more interesting but to me it felt more like a half-assed rendition of older themes by someone who didn't really understand the shit he was portraying.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
Stephen King is a fucking asshole. Kubrick took the work and made it his own, and it is a fucking masterpiece.
I have no idea how this thread turned into Stephen King somehow being less of an asshole than Kubrick, but you really need to get your eyes examined.

I'd say if you're a big fan of the cyberpunk genre, that's another reason to avoid this. This is like a really shitty GTA knockoff calling itself cyberpunk just because it has hairdos and cyberware. It doesn't really do shit with the usual cyberpunk themes or fulfill the cyberpunk aesthetic.
What are the themes it's not exploring? I'm not even saying it's exploring them well, but your claim it's not doing anything with the usual cyberpunk themes or the aesthetic, is a take even more smooth-brained than your Shinning take, and I'm genuinely curious of why you would say that.

Codex Year of the Donut
What are the themes it's not exploring? I'm not even saying it's exploring them well, but your claim it's not doing anything with the usual cyberpunk themes or the aesthetic, is a take even more smooth-brained than your Shinning take, and I'm genuinely curious of why you would say that.
does a mediocre job at libtard masturbation, as if they wanted to make the game as milquetoast as possible, and cyberpunk is a genre created specifically for libtard masturbation.
as if they couldn't decide whether the message was "don't let society go in this direction", "libtard power fantasy of taking on the big corpos" or "wow isn't night city COOL?"

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
fuck politics
game explores the theme of identity heavily with main quest, mayor quest, delamain quest, kerry eurodyne quest and others
absinthe is probably a cuckwell-gervais watcher, who indited the entire game because "it didn't add anything original to the genre".

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
does a mediocre job at libtard masturbation, as if they wanted to make the game as milquetoast as possible, and cyberpunk is a genre created specifically for libtard masturbation.
as if they couldn't decide whether the message was "don't let society go in this direction", "libtard power fantasy of taking on the big corpos" or "wow isn't night city COOL?"

The real root of cyberpunk is the idea of "plucky band of rebels" that was promoted after WW2, specifically to juxtapose against the ideal of a unified social order promoted by Fascism (and Communism too). This speaks to the other ongoing thread about when Woke started. The "plucky band of rebels" trope saturates just about all product intensively since WW2, often combined with the plucky band as an alternative sort of "family" comprised of diverse elements. (The starkest form was ofc Rebels vs. Empire in Star Wars.)

Tech dystopias weren't new, struggles against corporatism weren't new, post-apocalyptic vibes weren't new, what was new in the post-punk 80s was mixing those kinds of tropes with the "plucky band of rebels," particularly as "punky" - as living alternative lifestyles, dressing "individualistically," having dyed mohawks, etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
fuck politics
it's cyberpunk you retard
does that mean you have to shit up the thread with cuckservatism vs libtards? no, you retard
I realize you know nothing about the genre, but could you please be a bit less retarded?
william gibson is a draft-dodging dyed in the wool communist who studied "fascist literature" in college. Yes, the genre is inherently political, I'm not sure how you can be this stupid.

What's next, someone makes a 1984 game and you demand people don't be political when discussing it?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I realize you know nothing about the genre, but could you please be a bit less retarded?
william gibson is a draft-dodging dyed in the wool communist who studied "fascist literature" in college. Yes, the genre is inherently political, I'm not sure how you can be this stupid.

What's next, someone makes a 1984 game and you demand people don't be political when discussing it?
I realize you're a politics fag who has to make everything about politics, but that doesn't mean that everybody else is doing it as well. One faggot dodging the draft doesn't make an entire genre inherently political. Unless you're a politics fag. Then everything is inherently political for you.

If you weren't such a retard, you'd notice that the most likeable NPC in the game is a loyalist warrior who holds values many on the conservative spectrum share. And the biggest asshole of all - Johnny - would fit right in with the antifa.

Codex Year of the Donut

I realize you're a politics fag who has to make everything about politics, but that doesn't mean that everybody else is doing it as well. One faggot dodging the draft doesn't make an entire genre inherently political. Unless you're a politics fag. Then everything is inherently political for you.

If you weren't such a retard, you'd notice that the most likeable NPC in the game is a loyalist warrior who holds values many on the conservative spectrum share. And the biggest asshole of all - Johnny - would fit right in with the antifa.
Imagine reading this and going "yeah, this is some non-political material I'm reading right here"
image.png

Nearly 30 years later and Bethke is still spot on.
They're total wankers and losers who indulge in Messianic fantasies about someday getting even with the world through almost-magical computer skills, but whose actual use of the Net amounts to dialing up the scatophilia forum and downloading a few disgusting pictures. You know, cyberpunks

Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine reading this and going "yeah, this is some non-political material I'm reading right here"
Good worldbuilding covers the in-universe politics of the setting, who would've thought.
oh wow the in-universe politics just happen to mirror the politics of the writers that's so crazy hahahaha how dare you bring real-world politics into this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you guys actually serious or are you this retarded for real?

Herumor

Scholar
I wish the game actually focused more on the cyber part of that, because the cyberware in the game is so fucking disappointing.

Space Siege had more of a focus on cyberware than this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom