Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CDN testing in progress

Cassidy

Arcane
so uh, are random DDoS common? why the hell would someone DDoS the codex?

Butthurt games "journalists" and retarded fanboys of the shit games that are usually bashed here. And perhaps someone taking vacations in RPGWatch too. A certain editorial drew some attention to the Codex, so it's sort of predictable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you should change it so it doesn't check mods and admins

that way i can continue my ddos attack

kazgar

Arcane
Or is the DDoSing a result of us moving to CDN? So maybe its CDN being DDoS'ed for reasons completely unrelated to codex, and the codex is just caught in the crossfire. I may be wrong, but I don't recall the need for DDoS protection before moving to CDN? I assume many sites could share ip's with us now we're distributed?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
so uh, are random DDoS common? why the hell would someone DDoS the codex?

It could be aimed at any of the sites on the server or simply against the server itself. They haven't been common so far, but they do pop up every now and then.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
you should change it so it doesn't check mods and admins

that way i can continue my ddos attack

Yea, I could do that actually... would only work for those with static IPs, however.

Or is the DDoSing a result of us moving to CDN? So maybe its CDN being DDoS'ed for reasons completely unrelated to codex, and the codex is just caught in the crossfire. I may be wrong, but I don't recall the need for DDoS protection before moving to CDN? I assume many sites could share ip's with us now we're distributed?

The thought has crossed my mind but, eh... I think it's unlikely. The CDN actually acts as an umbrella over the Codex so it's absorbing the DDoS hits now. I only turned the DDoS protection on when the server couldn't cope any more. SoftLayer usually did a pretty good job of throttling most DoS attacks in the past, but lately this has been coming up more often with no apparent intervention on the network level and it's often hard to say when you've got a real DDoS vs. just an unusual spike in traffic.

The IP sharing doesn't work quite like that. The entire CF network only has a handful of IPs, but the original visitor IP info is still kept as well. The IPs only change for incoming traffic (as it all comes in via the CDN), not for the server.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
@CHARSET "UTF-8";.hasJs #Notices.PanelScroller{display:none;}.PanelScroller .scrollContainer,.PanelScrollerOff .panel{background-color:#48505F;padding:3px;margin-bottom:10px;border:1px solid;border-radius:5px;-webkit-border-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius:5px;-khtml-border-radius:5px;font-size:12px;}.PanelScroller .PanelContainer{position:relative;clear:both;width:100%;overflow:auto;}.hasJs .PanelScroller .Panels{position:absolute;}.PanelScroller .Panels{clear:both;margin:0;padding:0;}.PanelScroller .panel,.PanelScrollerOff .panel{padding:10px;position:relative;padding:0!important;}.PanelScroller .panel .noticeContent,.PanelScrollerOff .panel .noticeContent{padding:10px;}.PanelScroller .navContainer{margin:-11px 21px 0;overflow:hidden;zoom:1;}.PanelScroller .navControls{float:right;}.PanelScroller .navControls{zoom:1;}.PanelScroller .navControls:after{content:'.';display:block;height:0;clear:both;visibility:hidden;}.PanelScroller .navControls a{font-size:9px;color:mad:contentTextColor;background-color:;padding:3px 6px 2px;margin-left:-1px;float:left;display:block;position:relative;border:1px solid;border-radius:5px;-webkit-border-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius:5px;-khtml-border-radius:5px;border-radius:0;-webkit-border-radius:0;-moz-border-radius:0;-khtml-border-radius:0;}.PanelScroller .navControls>a:first-child{border-bottom-left-radius:5px;-webkit-border-bottom-left-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius-bottomleft:5px;-khtml-border-bottom-left-radius:5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls>a:last-child{border-bottom-right-radius:5px;-webkit-border-bottom-right-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius-bottomright:5px;-khtml-border-bottom-right-radius:5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls a:hover{text-decoration:none;background-color:;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current{background-color:;}.PanelScroller .navControls a .arrow{display:none;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current span{display:block;line-height:0px;width:0px;height:0px;border-top:5px solid;border-right:5px solid transparent;border-bottom:1px none black;border-left:5px solid transparent;position:absolute;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current .arrow{border-top-color:;top:0px;left:50%;margin-left:-5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls a .arrow span{border-top-color:#48505F;top:-6px;left:-5px;}#Notices .panel .noticeContent{padding-right:25px;}

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I like the angry face in the middle of it.

Also, the square ad gets checked too I see. :lol: Was funny to see the "Redirecting you shortly..." appear where the ad should have been.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, all the ads get checked because they're including from my site and I'm on CF there too. I'll see if I can disable that.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
By the way, I'm currently getting this about every half hour... I don't mind it on my first visit and then that's it for say, 12 or 24 hours but every hour or so seems a bit much.

Not sure if it's because I'm closing the browser window and re-opening it later or what.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm relatively sure it's for the duration of the session - I've been online for hours and I only got the check here a few hours back. So if you keep at least one Codex window open it should linger. Also keep in mind that the DDoS protection is an extreme measure that's only turned on manually when needed. This isn't something that's going to be on unless we get attacked and even then not likely for more than a few hours at a time.

EG

Nullified
By the way, I'm currently getting this about every half hour... I don't mind it on my first visit and then that's it for say, 12 or 24 hours but every hour or so seems a bit much.

Not sure if it's because I'm closing the browser window and re-opening it later or what.

Our experiences are the same.

Good to hear it's not going to be an everyday event (unless there's someone out there who doesn't like us :().

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So if you keep at least one Codex window open it should linger.

Nope. When I read the codex, I open a bunch of topics in different tabs and then start reading through all of them. Sometimes just clicking to read the next page prompts that damn screen.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yeah, kept the window open this time and just had it again. So, that's within 42 minutes / every half hour or so it looks like.

My IP is the same too.

EG

Nullified
Yeah, kept the window open this time and just had it again. So, that's within 42 minutes / every half hour or so it looks like.

My IP is the same too.

But, DU, if you have a static IP, how did you give Internets? It's going on a year since I last was able.

(Every half hour CF commands our browser.)

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

My IP is the same too.

Hmm, that's odd... even the basic verification is set to 1 hour. I'll check if this uses a different timer.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Apart from a number of site elements not loading and/or not working properly with JS disabled, I don't see any issues. I tried it just now and it's like driving a car with 3 wheels, but it works. So what problems are you having exactly?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I was stuck in the "page offline" page yesterday and today until I somehow got on the main page through google and after unsuccessfully get to forums through therre, tried to temporarily enable java scripts for both Codex and the cloudsomething thing.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The DDoS protection requires JS to be on for access so just enable it for Codex if that's the problem. What's the point of having it off given that it breaks a number of site elements? Just so you can kill the ads for free?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So, my post failed to go through (Got a "this action is only available by POSTING" or somesuch message) and it ate my post when I clicked back to try again. Joy.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
had that one before during some downtime I think

also, a page with text like this showed up instead of the alerts page
@CHARSET "UTF-8";.hasJs #Notices.PanelScroller{display:none;}.PanelScroller .scrollContainer,.PanelScrollerOff .panel{background-color:#48505F;padding:3px;margin-bottom:10px;border:1px solid;border-radius:5px;-webkit-border-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius:5px;-khtml-border-radius:5px;font-size:12px;}.PanelScroller .PanelContainer{position:relative;clear:both;width:100%;overflow:auto;}.hasJs .PanelScroller .Panels{position:absolute;}.PanelScroller .Panels{clear:both;margin:0;padding:0;}.PanelScroller .panel,.PanelScrollerOff .panel{padding:10px;position:relative;padding:0!important;}.PanelScroller .panel .noticeContent,.PanelScrollerOff .panel .noticeContent{padding:10px;}.PanelScroller .navContainer{margin:-11px 21px 0;overflow:hidden;zoom:1;}.PanelScroller .navControls{float:right;}.PanelScroller .navControls{zoom:1;}.PanelScroller .navControls:after{content:'.';display:block;height:0;clear:both;visibility:hidden;}.PanelScroller .navControls a{font-size:9px;color:mad:contentTextColor;background-color:;padding:3px 6px 2px;margin-left:-1px;float:left;display:block;position:relative;border:1px solid;border-radius:5px;-webkit-border-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius:5px;-khtml-border-radius:5px;border-radius:0;-webkit-border-radius:0;-moz-border-radius:0;-khtml-border-radius:0;}.PanelScroller .navControls>a:first-child{border-bottom-left-radius:5px;-webkit-border-bottom-left-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius-bottomleft:5px;-khtml-border-bottom-left-radius:5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls>a:last-child{border-bottom-right-radius:5px;-webkit-border-bottom-right-radius:5px;-moz-border-radius-bottomright:5px;-khtml-border-bottom-right-radius:5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls a:hover{text-decoration:none;background-color:;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current{background-color:;}.PanelScroller .navControls a .arrow{display:none;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current span{display:block;line-height:0px;width:0px;height:0px;border-top:5px solid;border-right:5px solid transparent;border-bottom:1px none black;border-left:5px solid transparent;position:absolute;}.PanelScroller .navControls a.current .arrow{border-top-color:;top:0px;left:50%;margin-left:-5px;}.PanelScroller .navControls a .arrow span{border-top-color:#48505F;top:-6px;left:-5px;}#Notices .panel .noticeContent{padding-right:25px;}
after the browser refreshed in the DDoS check thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom