Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CDPR CEO: Rockstar, Blizzard & Bethesda Are The World’s Top Three Game Developers

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well Rockstar is a pretty credible gamdev. They deliver what people like about their games without fucking up. The design philosophy and the kind of game it makes might not sit well with kodex, but that is besides the point.

Perkel

Arcane
Kicinski said multiple times that for him Blizzard/Rockstar/Betsheda are THE powerhouses of industry with legions of people who follow them and he wants CDPR to be counted in one of those and build same amount of following. I think it was his gamespot interview pre E3.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Rockstar is still in the game, GTA 5 in essence is same as gta 1 from 15 years ago. Blizzard is shit today and Bethesda is Bethesda.

Basicaly Blizzard what had to do is to make same games over and over again like Rockstar, but it seems that you can even fuck that up.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Kicinski said multiple times that for him Blizzard/Rockstar/Betsheda are THE powerhouses of industry with legions of people who follow them and he wants CDPR to be counted in one of those and build same amount of following. I think it was his gamespot interview pre E3.
Iwinski. But yeah he is not really talking about quality necessarily (since TW 2/3 are already miles ahead of anything Bethesda/Blizzard ever put out) but more like the brand recognition, prestige, sales numbers.

Dumbfuck
Can agree with Blizzard for the most part. Everything they make is at least mechanically very good, even if the meta-game stuff around it is sometimes questionable. They have the best RTS, one of the best "casual" shooters, the most fun ARPG, and the biggest MMO all at once.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
They deliver what people like about their games without fucking up.

No, they don't.

They did such a great job on a couple of games that a lot of people will buy their games just in the hope a of a taste of their former greatness.
rating_oldman.png
X4
I know it's old you fuckwits.

deama

Prophet
Iwinski. But yeah he is not really talking about quality necessarily (since TW 2/3 are already miles ahead of anything Bethesda/Blizzard ever put out) but more like the brand recognition, prestige, sales numbers.
I'd rather play any Beth/Blizz/Rockstar game than witcher 2/3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's kind of like saying Dan Brown, E. L. James and J. K. Rowling (with Stephanie Meyer trailing) are the "world's top authors". Yeah, in terms of sales, sure, but it's not a victory if you are like them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can agree with Blizzard for the most part. Everything they make is at least mechanically very good, even if the meta-game stuff around it is sometimes questionable. They have the best RTS, one of the best "casual" shooters, the most fun ARPG, and the biggest MMO all at once.

Dude, that was a decade ago.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
But he's right on one thing. Blizzard has such an heterogeneous offer in terms of game genres, it's quite unique in this industry. And most of them are PC-oriented on top of that.
They have solid rts, solid arpg, solid fps and even casually stepped in the dota-like and card game departments (well, I guess it's less of an achievement, these games aren't that hard to make).
I don't mind their commercial practices and sometimes horrid art design that much. They're among those companies (like Valve) who put the PC under the spotlight.
And Overwatch is very cool for a TF2 remake.

To put that in perspective, compare with the two other companies cited here.

hivemind

They have solid rts,
ded game
solid arpg
lol
no reason to play over poe
solid fps
LMAO
even casually stepped in the dota-like
literally cash cow for existing drones
card game departments (well, I guess it's less of an achievement, these games aren't that hard to make).
god what a completely brainlet post
RNGstone is their one actual modern incredible achievement but no that's less relevant than shitty knockoffs

Grab the Codex by the pussy
24716.jpg

It's kind of like saying Dan Brown, E. L. James and J. K. Rowling (with Stephanie Meyer trailing) are the "world's top authors". Yeah, in terms of sales, sure, but it's not a victory if you are like them.
:excellent:

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
god what a completely brainlet post
A post whose point you utterly missed, and proceeded to display an impressive array of slightly hackneyed edgy punchlines.
Now that you shat your retarded dissection of a 4 line post, you absolute spastic, are you going to adress what I actually talked about ? You know, the fact that Blizzard is rather eclectic, which is pretty rare to begin with, but even more when considered a top dog in the industry ?

In case the whole hivemind is not enough for you to comprehend this, now 3-line long, post (are you gonna cut this one word by word too so it's easier for you to understand ?), let me try another, shorter answer in hivemind-talk :

LOOOOOL you rretard I didn't even talk about diablo 3, i talekd about the gam who spawned a whole subgenre of dungeon cralwers. Waht are you, dumb ?
Got him good !

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Activision-Blizzard is literally the largest (pure play) company in the industry, of course they have exposure to a wide range of genres.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

If you are in it exclusively for the money, it is definitely a victory. Ironically Bethesda is much better at what it does than cRPG devs are at what they do. Bethesda constantly pleases its ever growing fanbase, while cRPGs usually face extremely harsh criticism from the already narrow market they try to cater to.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Activision-Blizzard is literally the largest (pure play) company in the industry, of course they have exposure to a wide range of genres.
I don't think it's that obvious. Are there other examples of big companies that touch a bit of everything like they do ? Even Valve which was a rather ambitious and adventurous company didn't fare that far from fps in their development days. I don't see why being big and resourceful makes it easier to compete on many fronts like this, and being succesful on top of that.
Plus, even before they got that big, they were already designing rts, rpg, arpg and mmos in early 2000's, a climate of death and plague for the pc. It's no mere feat right there.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I'm not even aware if SC2 is as much of a "ded RTS" as it is purported, considering it's one of the bigger IEM games, has plenty of events for it at all times, and the amount of users playing it daily seems to be quite respectable. Easily within top 20 most played games if you put it on something like Steam.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you are in it exclusively for the money, it is definitely a victory.

If you are in it exclusively for the money, you've already lost, there is nothing more to say after that.

Anyway, Blizzard have been going downhill ever since WC3 and some people even condemn that. What they do best is making their games extremely fluid and intuitive to control, something virtually every other dev in the world can learn from. I applaud them for that, but that's it in terms of modern Blizz's virtues. Everything has been stripped down and neutered, each game more childish than the last.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom