Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CDPR ruined the games industry by exposing what it truly is.

BruceVC

Magister
Most of what I am about to say has already been raised but I want to start off by mentioning that I cant recall ever disagreeing more with the statement " CDPR ruined the game industry " ....no they didnt. Their contribution has made the gaming industry better

They created GOG which is a very important and utilized gaming distribution platform and the Witcher 3 is my second favorite RPG of all time. I havent played Cyb2077 yet so I cant comment

The Witcher series is based on the books so its not pandering to " adolescent adults " and the game world is exactly how we like it and you can use Mods to change many cosmetic issues with W3 like the user experience in the HUD

So again, no. CDPR didnt ruin the game industry

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
They ruined themselves. But not gonna lie, witcher games were nice at least. I enjoyed them even though i'm not a fan of witcher.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The game industry was already ruined, CDPR just made it more obvious... and exposed the truth about the gaming preferences of Eastern Europeans on RPGCodex.net

S.torch

Arbiter
Have you thought in just don't playing these games if you don't like them? The Witcher games have just three entries. Dark Souls type has more entries, and way more influence in the field.

Robotigan

Learned
From Software games have influenced a never ending torrent of Dark Souls clones.
From has actual game design though. Oh no, now everyone is creating good level design and interesting boss fights, how awful! Sure, maybe all the difficulty for difficulty's sake gets tiring (and the drop currency on death gimmick), but on the whole an indie could do a lot worse than to look to Dark Souls for good ideas that can be achieved on a budget.

S.torch

Arbiter
So if everything is good and everything is well because people are looking inspiration in other games, what is the point of this thread? Besides seeking attention and baiting the personal that's it.

Drakortha

Liturgist
From has actual game design though. Oh no, now everyone is creating good level design and interesting boss fights, how awful! Sure, maybe all the difficulty for difficulty's sake gets tiring (and the drop currency on death gimmick), but on the whole an indie could do a lot worse than to look to Dark Souls for good ideas that can be achieved on a budget.

But it's not good level design. And the boss fights are far from interesting. You're probably talking about the style and presentation of those games but that doesn't make them good games. Most all encounters come down to dodging and attacking at the right time, once you've learned the patterns like a good little monkey. And boss fights are hilariously bad, where you cleave at an oversized monsters ankles for 20 minutes to whittle down a health bar a mile long. How remarkable.

Robotigan

Learned
And the boss fights are far from interesting.
Unfortunately they've regressed since the fanbase that's all about 'muh difficulty' subsumed the fans who appreciated novel design. Their boss fights used to be mostly fun gimmicks not combo spam (There's still some neat ones in Elden Ring like Rykard and Rennala). Still, I play something like Hollow Knight and I think Team Cherry mostly adapted the good and not the bad.

Harthwain

Magister
Lmfao, true. We'd much rather play weak, effeminate faggots who waste ages waxing purple prose

Speaking as a Legacy of Kain fan? Yeah, sorta.
I wouldn't say that Legacy of Kain has purple prose. It has some words that can make an average gamer break out the dictionary, but the way it is written doesn't detract from the narrative. If anything it enhances it, because it's so well written. Or at least that's my impression.

Gerrard

Arcane
Nothing described here is unique to CDPR. You can swap out CDPR's games with Bethesda's and Bioware's recent offerings and make the same post.
Disagree. Call them casual, normie shit all you want but Bethesda and Bioware at least succeed at designing an intelligible, easy-to-navigate user interface. They also don't add shallow mechanics just to say they have them, they take care to make sure any system they have feels good and cut it if it's not working right.
Yeah dude, Skyrim had good UI. And definitely didn't have shallow mechanics just to have them.
You fucking retard.

thesecret1

Arcane
Nah, Witcher 3 wasn't that bad. Combat was shit and the open world stuff was pointless, but the quests were enjoyable, the writing was decent, and there was a lot of cool stuff to do and places to visit. Was it a good game? No. Was it terrible? Not that either. Rather, it was utterly mediocre, but as far as AAA titles go, mediocrity is nothing to scoff at.

Felt like the DLCs they made tried to rectify some of it, too. Like making all of those shitty point of interests on the map have some kind of story background or even make the world react to it if you went there to clean it out – bandit strongholds getting occupied by royal troops, infested vineyards getting repopulated by peasants, or building a big as fuck statue, etc. – that was actually nice. It made the open world have at least some manner of charm – certainly better than just going from generic point A to kill some mobs and grab some worthless loot. Should have been taken further to really make the open world worth it, IMO, but it was still a major improvement over the base game. It also makes you think – clearly, there was some recognition about the game's weakpoints in CDPR, and an attempt to alleviate them. Why did this trend not continue in Cyberpunk? Not enough time? Seeing how rushed out the game seemed, that seems rather likely.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nothing described here is unique to CDPR. You can swap out CDPR's games with Bethesda's and Bioware's recent offerings and make the same post.
Disagree. Call them casual, normie shit all you want but Bethesda and Bioware at least succeed at designing an intelligible, easy-to-navigate user interface. They also don't add shallow mechanics just to say they have them, they take care to make sure any system they have feels good and cut it if it's not working right.
Yeah dude, Skyrim had good UI. And definitely didn't have shallow mechanics just to have them.

As much as I hate to, I'm going to agree with the butthurt Polack here.

Maybe the UI for post-Morrowind Bethesda titles is fine on consoles, but they are absolute shit on the PC. The most popular mods for their games include UI overhauls/tweaks for good reason. And no shallow mechanics? I'd argue the entire game is shallow, but the anniversary edition of Skyrim added fishing. I don't see how that's anything but a shallow mechanic added just to say they have it. Then you have marriage, building houses, adopting children, smithing, etc. In a lot of ways, Skyrim just feels like a collection of shallow mechanics.

Robotigan

Learned
Maybe the UI for post-Morrowind Bethesda titles is fine on consoles
I play a lot of games with a controller; I'd say it's my favorite way to play action adventure games. Very comfortable and convenient. KB&M for me is typically for strategy/tactics or FPS.

But even if the ergonomics aren't optimized for KB&M, Skyrim's UI is still very intuitive, minimalistic, and its design is well-integrated with the rest of the game.

Robotigan

Learned
Nah, Witcher 3 wasn't that bad. Combat was shit and the open world stuff was pointless, but the quests were enjoyable, the writing was decent, and there was a lot of cool stuff to do and places to visit. Was it a good game? No. Was it terrible? Not that either. Rather, it was utterly mediocre, but as far as AAA titles go, mediocrity is nothing to scoff at.
Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but my rant was more about how the game was received than the game itself.

wishbonetail

Learned
But even if the ergonomics aren't optimized for KB&M, Skyrim's UI is still very intuitive, minimalistic, and its design is well-integrated with the rest of the game.
Yeah, sure
skyrim-menus-reddit-4ec3ddc-intro.png

Sykar

Arcane

wishbonetail

Learned
It's a video game not a work application, using up less screen space is the point; like literally what I meant by "minimalist and well-integrated into the rest of the game". You're intended to play the game on a 40"+ TV not a 13" laptop.
The point is to make it as tedious as possible? It takes ages to find something. Integrated how? With its transparent holographic menus in medieval fantasy? When you open a perk chart it takes you to the stars and shows around 10% of available info. When you open map, instead of skin or paper you being transported above clouds where via sattelite and gps navigation you can see your route. How that even possible, since levitation has been banned?
Well integrated UI is Fallouts pip-boy, it is not very handy but it doesnt yanks you out of the environment. Skyrims UI is the opposite of integrated or utilitarian, it is literary one of the best examples of incompetence in gamedev.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
The Morrowind's UI works on PC but on console, it's a pain to use it. Games should have 2 different UI, one for PC and the other for consoles, but that would require extra dev time no game dev is willing to spend.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
The Morrowind's UI works on PC but on console, it's a pain to use it. Games should have 2 different UI, one for PC and the other for consoles, but that would require extra dev time no game dev is willing to spend.

Are you saying you are playing Morrowind on your Xbox right now?
When you could play it right now on PC with OpenMW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom