Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CDPR ruined the games industry by exposing what it truly is.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Some devs should just not make console games.
That represents an important market left alone. Remember that Skyrim sold well on consoles as well as Witcher games.
Along with that, The Witcher 3 has sold over 28 million copies worldwide, physical and digital combined. In 2019, 82% of the sales were digital. Surprisingly, in 2015, PlayStation 4 dominated the sales chart with 48% of total copies being sold for the console
https://www.spieltimes.com/news/the-witcher-3-sold-more-copies-on-pc-than-all-console-platforms-combined-in-2019/

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
re
skyrim-menus-reddit-4ec3ddc-intro.png
It's a video game not a work application, using up less screen space is the point; like literally what I meant by "minimalist and well-integrated into the rest of the game". You're intended to play the game on a 40"+ TV not a 13" laptop.
Ban.

Trippy

Novice
If Oblivion didn't convince you this is a derelict hobby, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The first Witcher is an adorable work of hyperjank made by weird virgins who thought it would be awesome to give you collectable cards every time your videe game avatar fucked a girl. It was adorably embarrassing, and the whole thing has a sort of aww shucks charm. The other two are CDPR proving that absolute success corrupts absolutely.

As a coke-fueled fintech dude, the fact that the Cyberbunk 2077 fiasco impacted Poland's entire stock market was fucking hilarious to me. I listened in on some of their shareholder calls, and they are legendary examples of evasive cryptocorporate bullshit. I would also like to point out that, based on said 2021 financial meltdown, the CDPR that you are referring to is almost surely dead and buried already. It just hasn't been reported as such in 'video game news.' So this is literally beating a dead horse.

Anyway, I'd agree that GOG is an important anti-DRM stance in the modern world, and I still respect CDPR for that. When GOG is inevitably sold to Epic and is liquidated into oblivion, then and only then should we tell CDPR properly to go fuck themselves. But again, we'd only be snarling at a shell corporation at that point, so who cares?

Robotigan

Learned
I think Skyrim's UI looks better than these despite not using all of the screen space.
1651318567142.jpg

Robotigan

Learned
Yes, but I don't care. It's a well known fact that the consolefication of computer games made them worse.
I fucking swear if you keep going on about how CRPGs are too complicated for normies, I'm gonna start throwing LEETcode problems at you. Let's see if you're as good with computers and optimization as my "normie" coworkers.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yes, but I don't care. It's a well known fact that the consolefication of computer games made them worse.

*Remembers when console games had fast loading times (or occasionally just a single loading screen at startup) and ran at 60fps before the pc / console streams crossed.*

It's a video game not a work application, using up less screen space is the point; like literally what I meant by "minimalist and well-integrated into the rest of the game". You're intended to play the game on a 40"+ TV not a 13" laptop.
But it is using all the screen space, the problem is that it wastes 90% of it on a giant 3d model. I did play the console version once and it sure would have been nicer if the tiny words on the corner had been given priority over the spinning carrots and swords. It was done this way to emphasize that puzzle they had with the dragon claws (where you spin it to see a password for the crypt doors) but it doesn't go beyond that. It served its purpose of aweing the crowd in the E3 show, but it could easily be improved by having a small 3d model where you click to zoom if you need to investigate an item or just want to see how cool it looks.

https://game.capcom.com/manual/village/en/ps5/page/4/1
https://game.capcom.com/manual/village/en/ps5/page/4/2

41_2_1.jpg

*clicks examine*

42_1_1.jpg

Older RE games had a static jpg that would be turned around, same principle.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I don't think CDPR had much impact on the games industry. All the massively successful open world rpgs (Skyrim, TW3, Elden Ring,) are pretty low impact because there are only a tiny handful of studios in the world capable of making similar games, and three of them are Ubisoft and Rockstar and Guerilla who both already have their formulas. As far as I can tell there's basically no Skyrim clones in existence, the closest thing to a TW3 clone is Ubisoft adding some RPG elements and monsters, and I suspect Elden Ring will have few/no clones (people will keep making crappy Soulslikes with 3 weapons instead.)

Robotigan

Learned
Bethesda is really proud of their "coffee cups" and Skyrim was the first game where they got the meshes looking really good. I think they were excited to show off all the work their 3d artists did anywhere they could (loading screens being another example). They've tinkered a bit with it in subsequent games with Fallout 4 deemphasizing 3d models to go all in on the diegetic gimmick. I think I would say that most video games are a fundamentally different experience than work applications and so their UX needs to serve a subtly different purpose. For an immersive action adventure like Bethesda (and basically every other AAA) makes, you wants something that feels integrated with the rest of the experience not just a menu optimized for maximum ergonomics. The latter is usually more oriented for strategy games and management sims.

Codex Year of the Donut
I hate icon-based inventories. They even defeat their own supposed purpose by frequently having items that share an icon.
zcJo6yr.jpeg

Exactly what information are those icons conveying to you?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
^ This highlights another problem of games simply dumping too many items on the player. Nobody is ever going to use all of those potions and scrolls. If the design problem is "How do we make sure the player can easily sort through his hundreds of similar items?" then you need to go backwards.

Codex Year of the Donut
If only there was some efficient way to display a collection of items with their name and attributes to the player, perhaps with a way to sort them on any of those. Hey, we could even include a little icon next to the text too for people who like icons.
Hmm.. I bet if it existed, it would probably be used for a lot more than games. In fact, I bet someone would have already figured this problem out.
XSo5e.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The game industry was already ruined, CDPR just made it more obvious... and exposed the truth about the gaming preferences of Eastern Europeans on RPGCodex.net
Preferences being tb tactical games and tb crpgs, roguelikes, some strategy games, occasionally a city builder, you mean?
Last time i looked at my game directory i saw such games. Looking through the window I see a city in Potato-land which, as I was told, is Eastern Europe*.

Actually it's Central Europe but the concept died in 1945.

Part of Morrowind's appeal at the time was the "you can drag items between the inventory and the game's world" so they went with icons. It's more readable if you're not in the "All" tab that shows all 200 icons. Still, a list with the name next to it so you don't have to hover the cursor above the item would be better. The magic scrolls are especially bad.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The game industry was already ruined, CDPR just made it more obvious... and exposed the truth about the gaming preferences of Eastern Europeans on RPGCodex.net
Preferences being tb tactical games and tb crpgs, roguelikes, some strategy games, occasionally a city builder, you mean?
Last time i looked at my game directory i saw such games. Looking through the window I see a city in Potato-land which, as I was told, is Eastern Europe*.

Nothing personal.

There's basically two eras of decline, the original era of decline where the hobby was dumbed down for the masses and the later era of decline with the weird SJW stuff taking over.

During the original era of decline, games were not always required to be weird and leftist, some of them had relatively normal aesthetics, they were just dumbed down for the masses, consolized and made popamole in terms of gameplay. But sometimes they still actually tried to be appealing to a White male audience, since that's a good way to make money.

The Witcher series, like Eastern Europe itself, seems a little bit behind the times, in that it's a fully declined popamole action RPG... with relatively normal aesthetics, that appeal to teenage boys instead of purple haired cat ladies. It benefited from releasing during a time period when much of the industry had already moved on to intentionally alienating their audience by putting bizarre SJW stuff in every game.

The popularity of the Witcher games here indicates that a lot of people on the Codex are basically OK with decline, as long as it's still marketed towards their demographic.

TedNugent

Arcane
Anyway, I'd agree that GOG is an important anti-DRM stance in the modern world, and I still respect CDPR for that. When GOG is inevitably sold to Epic and is liquidated into oblivion, then and only then should we tell CDPR properly to go fuck themselves. But again, we'd only be snarling at a shell corporation at that point, so who cares?
This post oof ouch

Is there a reason every time I see the word Epic I get indescribable phantom pains?

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Nothing personal.

There's basically two eras of decline, the original era of decline where the hobby was dumbed down for the masses and the later era of decline with the weird SJW stuff taking over.

During the original era of decline, games were not always required to be weird and leftist, some of them had relatively normal aesthetics, they were just dumbed down for the masses, consolized and made popamole in terms of gameplay. But sometimes they still actually tried to be appealing to a White male audience, since that's a good way to make money.

The Witcher series, like Eastern Europe itself, seems a little bit behind the times, in that it's a fully declined popamole action RPG... with relatively normal aesthetics, that appeal to teenage boys instead of purple haired cat ladies. It benefited from releasing during a time period when much of the industry had already moved on to intentionally alienating their audience by putting bizarre SJW stuff in every game.

The popularity of the Witcher games here indicates that a lot of people on the Codex are basically OK with decline, as long as it's still marketed towards their demographic.
You are decent at moving the goalposts, I give you that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
CD Projekt Red along with GOG made so much money ripping people off they can concentrate on the important things while making the next Witcher.

https://www.thegamer.com/cd-projekt-mentrual-leave-period-pain-workers/

The policy will allow workers with period pain to take time off whenever this pain occurs.

Is male menstruation a thing yet?

Remember when good games were made by friends in one of their garages? Nerds working through the night making a game they want to play because nobody else made it yet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Remember when good games were made by friends in one of their garages? Nerds working through the night making a game they want to play because nobody else made it yet.

It's a very distant memory. I hoped the indie revolution would bring about new indie games that are great but instead it's nothing but unoriginal Unity crap.

Semiurge

Cipher
and shitty replacement license-free stock music that sounds like a Def Leppard cover band that, somehow, manages to be worse than the original.

I enjoyed your post up to this phrase. Now you've gone too far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom